Stop ripping off movies Rockstar!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Knightbayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Knightbayne
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Alright first we have GTA V which appears to steal at least one heist from the movie Heat; the Armored Truck robbery,and I suspect the writer was watching Breaking Bad when he "came up" with the Trevor character. Then there was Scarface City, whoops, I mean Vice City which they somehow didn't get sued for. Then in Max Payne 3 there is a part in the stadium level where he leaves a blood trail on a wall as he drags himself along it which is identical to a part in the movie Desperado. You could even say that San Andreas was an amalgamation of 90's Hood Movies. There is nothing wrong with being inspired by something else but when you have to straight up steal other peoples ideas maybe you should turn off the TV when you write.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
There are a lot of games that copy/pay tribute to movies.. just enjoy the games.
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#3 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

They can stop when films stop ripping off novels.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
I agree, except with GTA SA and Max Payne 3, you were just nitpicking those two.
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Namgis

ouch... the burn...

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#6 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Namgis
and that will stop when novels stop ripping off peoples ideas.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Namgis
Except that the movie tells you it's a book adaptation, usually to get fans of the book to watch the movie. Not the same thing.
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#8 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

[QUOTE="Namgis"]

Rattlesnake_8

and that will stop when novels stop ripping off peoples ideas.

Then those with the 'original' idea can stop thieving also, it's only a matter of time before they're exposed as copycats too. It's a horrid cycle that must stop. No one should be inspired by others. ;)

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

Alright first we have GTA V which appears to steal at least one heist from the movie Heat; the Armored Truck robbery,and I suspect the writer was watching Breaking Bad when he "came up" with the Trevor character. Then there was Scarface City, whoops, I mean Vice City which they somehow didn't get sued for. Then in Max Payne 3 there is a part in the stadium level where he leaves a blood trail on a wall as he drags himself along it which is identical to a part in the movie Desperado. You could even say that San Andreas was an amalgamation of 90's Hood Movies. There is nothing wrong with being inspired by something else but when you have to straight up steal other peoples ideas maybe you should turn off the TV when you write.Knightbayne

If you read jacked: the true story of grand theft auto. You'll see the Houser bros motivation was fundamentally to make the game equivalent of familiar mobster tales. Doom  made omages to or in others opinions ripped off  quite a few heavy metal songs for some of the bg music in its levels. At some point sampling is inevitable guy.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Namgis
They can stop when novels stop ripping off reality
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

So long as they keep delivering awesome games, Rockstar can do whatever the hell they want and I wouldn't care.

Bedsides, "rip-off" gets thrown around too often nowadays.  All forms of entertainment borrow from one another. It's always happened, and will always happen.

Just enjoy the experience.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="Namgis"]

Black_Knight_00

I actually trademarked reality the other day so I should assume the check is in the mail?

EVERYBODY OWES!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts
Absolutely not. Rockstar creates fantastic games so I say that they should keep doing exactly what they've been doing.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I agree, except with GTA SA and Max Payne 3, you were just nitpicking those two.Lulu_Lulu

I also disagree with his example for Max Payne 3.

That game was basically just Tropa de Elite: the Official Game of the Movie. But with an American hero shoe-horned into it.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Id be happy if rockstar would just make a new game that isnt about a bad guy that quits being a bad, then tries to be a good guy, but then gets pulled back into being a bad guy.

Namgis

The bigger problem now is movies ripping themselves off.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

There are about 10 different videogames that pay tribute to Scarface...

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
Alright first we have GTA V which appears to steal at least one heist from the movie Heat; the Armored Truck robbery,and I suspect the writer was watching Breaking Bad when he "came up" with the Trevor character. Then there was Scarface City, whoops, I mean Vice City which they somehow didn't get sued for. Then in Max Payne 3 there is a part in the stadium level where he leaves a blood trail on a wall as he drags himself along it which is identical to a part in the movie Desperado. You could even say that San Andreas was an amalgamation of 90's Hood Movies. There is nothing wrong with being inspired by something else but when you have to straight up steal other peoples ideas maybe you should turn off the TV when you write.Knightbayne
Nice trolling there..... but a obvious troll is just obvious
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 platinumking320
really? My first impression was Trevor was more aligned with Heat's 'Waingro'. Remove the beard from one of em and whadya got? A loose cannon hick.
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Namgis"]

Grammaton-Cleric

I actually trademarked reality the other day so I should assume the check is in the mail?

EVERYBODY OWES!

Crap. *writes a check*
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 platinumking320
[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] They can stop when novels stop ripping off realityspeedfreak48t5p

EVERYBODY OWES!

Crap. *writes a check*

Whew. I guess its safe to assume here that reality doesnt owe God or a supernova any royalities right?! Heh Heh... * waits for proverbial natural disaster *
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] They can stop when novels stop ripping off realityspeedfreak48t5p

EVERYBODY OWES!

Crap. *writes a check*

Write another one. I copyrighted the term "Crap" in 1996. :P

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Albert Einstein

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#23 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

There's a difference between respectable hommages that take inspiration from other sources and imbue it with their own style and blatant, souless, derivative rip-offs. I think Rockstar is a classic case of the former and they do it really well.

It's also important to say that they don't hide any of this. Dan Houser went on record and said that Grand Theft Auto III was influenced by mob movies, Vice City by Scarface and Miami Vice, San Andreas by Boyz n the Hood. All Rockstar games draw inluences from popular culture, that's their trademark. But they always bring a lot of their own ideas into the mix as well.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Most, if not all, works of art take their inspiration from many sources. One would be hard pressed to find in games, film, or literature an effort that hasn't been inspired by something else throughout the creator's life. That's just the way the creative process works, things don't come out of a vacuum, but instead evolve inside the creator or artist's mind. 

EternalDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 EternalDove
Member since 2003 • 302 Posts

I don't feel like they have "straight up" stole anything. Sounds to me like they are heavily influenced by previous writings, or adaptations. And in a world like today, that is basically in everything you listen to, watch, read, or use.

There is a great short series called "Everything Is A Remix"  by Kirby Ferguson that I want to point everyone towards, an incredbly insightful and interesting look at how things truly are today.

If you have not seen it, check it out.

Knightbayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Knightbayne
Yeah its like i said there is nothing wrong with being inspired by something. My gripe is when they steal an actual scene or event from a movie. It's one thing if you have an Armored Truck robbery in your game but to lift the method by which its robbed from a movie is just plain lazy. Next thing you'll know there will be a jewelry store robbery where "Mr. Brunette" snaps and starts killing people but "Mr. Purple" manages to get away with the Diamonds and meets "Mr' Gray" back at the warehouse where they have a Mexican Stand-off. Shit maybe I should get in on this action. The first half of my game will be scenes from Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas where you play as "Harry Hill" who because he's half Italian can never be a made man who in one mission puts "Pules" on brain detail after accidently blowing some guys head off. Then they decide to go to Mexico and end up in a bar full of Vampires. The End. Oh and with my Max Payne example that was a frame by frame rip-off from Desperado. There were a couple of other parts in the game that they do something similar. Anyway please try to be more original Rockstar.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
There is a difference between ripping off movies and taking inspiration from them. Seems to me you do not know the difference.
Knightbayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Knightbayne
I'm seeing a lot of promise in the brain detail mission which I will name "The Connie Situation". First you'll have a strict 20 minute time limit because if Connie gets home "Timmy" will be in deep trouble! He might even get divorced! So, over a cup of coffee you'll have to convince Timmy to help you with a Mass Effect conversation system. "Mr. Fox" shows up and in a homage to GTA V you can switch between the three to fulfill the objective. To get the car clean you play a Kinect-enabled minigame to get all the chunks of brain and skull off the windows and seats then switch back to Mr. Fox who has to successfully bribe Timmy for his sheets. Than you have to hurry and hose off Harry and Pules and get them changed into some clean clothes. After that its a smooth ride to the junkyard and mission accomplished!
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Namgis"]

Grammaton-Cleric

EVERYBODY OWES!

Eh, f*ck the police :P
Knightbayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Knightbayne
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Rockstar. I enjoy a lot of games that they have developed and/or published but when I first saw the GTA V trailer my reaction was "What? Really? That's a scene from Heat!" That isn't inspiration or paying homage, that's a wholesale rip-off. Not unlike my upcoming game Pulpfellas til' Dawn. I want to get paid for being unimaginative too dammit!
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#31 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

[QUOTE="speedfreak48t5p"][QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

EVERYBODY OWES!

Grammaton-Cleric

Crap. *writes a check*

Dammit!

*writes another check* And don't tell me you copyrighted the term "Dammit"! :x

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="speedfreak48t5p"] Crap. *writes a check*speedfreak48t5p

Dammit!

*writes another check* And don't tell me you copyrighted the term "Dammit"! :x

Now that you mention it...

(Goes to patent office)

Knightbayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Knightbayne
Well, there goes my fledgling cocaine empire that I started after I had Manuelo shoot that piece of chit Frank. Apparently Rockstar read my post and copyrighted my wholly original game idea. I guess they wanted to pay homage or something. I just hope it's a good homage and not a blatant soulless one.
Knightbayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Knightbayne

There are about 10 different videogames that pay tribute to Scarface...

Ricardomz
The only game that paid more tribute was the actual Scarface game and even then it was pretty close.
Knightbayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Knightbayne
True. I was just thinking about the whole "Cooking Meth in the Desert"angle. Also, wasn't there an episode of Breaking Bad that had Bryan Cranston running around in his underwear?