Steambox Prototype Specs (extremely high)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I thought one of Valve's bigger fans (looks in direction of rragnar and UiF) would have made this thread by now, but nobody did, so here we are. The minimum specs blow away those of the PS4 and the Xbone but they are so high they are likely to blow them away pricewise as well :|.

In the initial Steambox thread I stated that I wasn't much of a PC gamer but would like to play some of Steam's thousands of indie games on a tv provided the asking price was reasonable, but I don't see a way for 16 GBs of DDR3 and 3 GBs of DDR5 are going to be reasonable any time soon.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/168084-valves-steam-box-specs-revealed-seems-like-a-letdown

First and foremost, there isnt a single static spec even for the Valve-made beta units. The prototype units will ship with an Intel Core i7-4770, an Intel Core i5-4570, or an unidentified Core i3 CPU. As far as GPUs go, there will be a mix of Nvidia Titan, Nvidia GTX780, Nvidia GTX760, and Nvidia GTX660 models all with 3GB of GDDR5. All units will ship with 16GB of DDR3-1600 RAM, hybrid 1TB/8GB SSHDs, and a 450w power supply. Impressively, all of this equipment is designed to fit inside a 12-inch x 12.4-inch x 2.9-inch case. Really sleek stuff.

---------------

On the downside, this likely means that youre going to be paying a pretty penny when real Steam Machines hit the market. Unless Valve and its partners are willing to subsidize these machines, youll likely be paying at least double the going rate for a brand new console. Even with the best of intentions, this part of Valves plan doesnt seem to be adding anything exciting to the market. After all, this is just a small case filled with standard, off-the-shelf parts.

Also, the recent Half Life 3 trademark filing was fake.

http://kotaku.com/looks-like-that-half-life-3-trademark-filing-that-got-e-1441544576

iDefinition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 iDefinition
Member since 2009 • 388 Posts
It's better to just buy your own PC. Stop being lazy and actually look at a computer more than "game machine". If you're going to buy that hardware you should at least know what you buy and what you can do with it other than benchmarking Crysis all day long.
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

I like what Valve is doing but I would guess they will sell those through preorder as I doubt they have $ to produce hundreds of thousands of top of the line hardware. Im willing to buy as long as its not ridiculously overpriced, willing to spend $1000-$1200 . F*ck the xbone, devs will max the machine by next year 

iDefinition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 iDefinition
Member since 2009 • 388 Posts

I like what Valve is doing but I would guess they will sell those through preorder as I doubt they have $ to produce hundreds of thousands of top of the line hardware. Im willing to buy as long as its not ridiculously overpriced, willing to spend $1000-$1200 . F*ck the xbone, devs will max the machine by next year 

D3s7rUc71oN
The Titan itself costs more 1000 dollars iirc.
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="D3s7rUc71oN"]

iDefinition

The Titan itself costs more 1000 dollars iirc.

I know but it seems there will be different skus and I will be happy to play at 1080p, the titan is overkill for that resolution and I'm not that big of a graphics whore as Solid :P I'd be happy with a 670 gtx .

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I didn't make a thread because I don't find it particularly interesting. They're just selling pre-built PC's and I've never bought one of those in my life. I build my own PC's for far less money and I get a PC in which every component suits my needs. I don't understand why people are determined to compare it to consoles, Steam Machines were never supposed to be consoles.

Also, not all of those specs are extremely high. The i7 / Titan / 16GB RAM is the high-end model and will cost a fortune, but the i3 / GTX 660 / 16GB RAM model is a solid mid-range machine that should be relatively affordable. I'm planning to build something similar myself.

Personally, I'm disappointed they went with Intel CPU's as they will needlessly drive up the price.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

A Titan in a 12x12x3 box? Is this supposed to be a joke?

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

First and foremost, there isnt a single static spec even for the Valve-made beta units. The prototype units will ship with an Intel Core i7-4770, an Intel Core i5-4570, or an unidentified Core i3 CPU. As far as GPUs go, there will be a mix of Nvidia Titan, Nvidia GTX780, Nvidia GTX760, and Nvidia GTX660 models all with 3GB of GDDR5. All units will ship with 16GB of DDR3-1600 RAM, hybrid 1TB/8GB SSHDs, and a 450w power supply. Impressively, all of this equipment is designed to fit inside a 12-inch x 12.4-inch x 2.9-inch case. Really sleek stuff.

lol this is what's going to kill Valve. 

What is going to be the OS? Are all Steam games going to run on this thing?