Star Citizen v Elite Dangerous

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LMedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By LMedia
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I have read many many peoples comments in many places and one question I think I can answer is SC v ED. Which is better?

I have been playing both of these games since the beginning of their releases. It may not be to early to say which will 'be better' for a few reason. Scope and Variety.

ED is almost ready because of the simplicity of everything. Each ship is simple in the way the back end is built. It is a shell that has different hard points and values of health, power, etc... So ED is one that will get out lots more content because it is so simple.

SC is tacking longer because of the crazy amounts of detail added to everything. (not saying that ED isn't) but SC seems to be tacking it to a crazy level. Every ship looks like amazing, ED (sorry) visually not so much. So visually SC for me is the winner. I play both games beta on the Best settings and that goes to SC. Sound design on SC is an after thought for now. The beta fighter keeps getting updates on the sound design every few updates. but nothing very big. ED had people working on this form the beginning. ED easily wipes out SC in sound design.

ED is nearly out and I will be on it from day one. But the penitential in the SC will very likely have me on it before ED on every count.

Because of the physics engine the ships in SC can be piloted like nothing else. Lots of people don't really like it because they are not the best pilots. 'Real space ships' can't fly like in video games. I have done some crazy CRAZY stuff in SC's ships in the beta that ED just can't handle. Flying is what I love to do and sadly ED's flight system is on rails, a little boring for me.

Overall ED is awesome SC is awesome if I was to give an edge before anything is released I need to give it to ED. But KNOW that SC will crap all over it when it releases just a little more of what ED already has.

I know some people wont agree with me because 'fan boy' but this just seems to be the way its going. A friend is ED all the way, he got in to it same time as me and has followed everything, same as me, but had very little information on SC. I have seen everything both games offered to share, this is why Star Citizen will be the game that stomps on the replay ability of ED when it comes out. Not to mention SC will have FPS.

Should you buy one or the other?

Yes you should by one AND the other. Both games are awesome and one year apart. ED will come out end of 2014 early 2015.

SC will come out in a fully ready to play game in about 2 years, 2016. Modules released gradually.

There is so much I missed in both games its hard to go in to it all because this post will go on for miles I will leave it there.

Luke M

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#2 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Get both is the only true answer I feel. Although, if I had to choose I'd probably get Star Citizen

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Right now I'd certainly say that ED is the better game. Given it's much further in development but everything in it handles better. The space-flight mechanics in ED don't make you feel like you're always losing control of the ship, the feeling of "slip" isn't nearly as pronounced (this also depends if you have flight assist turned on/off). To me I am leaning towards ED because it feels more like a real universe. Tons of locations, 1 to 1 scale of planets and celestial bodies, they're putting a lot of random goodies in there, and mining is in after the next update in little more than a week!

Both of these games are going to be great. A year or so after ED we'll get SC and the persistent universe (or at least the shell of the PU). Good times for PC Gamers!

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

How about both?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@LMedia said:

Which is better?

Can't be answered. They are doing two entirely different things.

ED is going for a more arcade-like, action-focused environment with a near-infinite level of procedural content. Star Citizen is going for a true sim, persistent universe experience with finely crafted places to visit and play in.

ED is being created by a handful of people. Star Citizen has over 280 people working on it creating about 6 games worth of content. ED is going to likely be done next year. Star Citizen is just getting started and will likely be done late 2016 or early 2017. They will be two entirely different experiences.