Source says Sony is pleading with third-party devs not to abandon the PS3

• 188 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

http://gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=142068&lid=VideoGameNews&pos=1

"One piece of news that came out this week was that Sony pleaded with third-party developers not to abandon its struggling [PS3] platform," wrote Dean Takahashi of the San Jose Mercury News.

"That change in attitude is a marked difference compared to the arrogance of past years," the game journalist added. "The argument is that the PS3 will show its strength as developers learn how to make games for it."

Takahashi cited "insider information" when contacted by GamePro for source clarification.

In August, Sony admitted in a report by GamePro that the PS3 can be more difficult to develop for given its propriety and complex Cell processor. Subsequently, several PS3 ports get released several weeks, if not months after an Xbox 360 counterpart. Often times the PS3 version receives significantly lower review scores than Xbox 360 versions.

Assuming Takahashi is right, it's easy to see how developers could be frustrated with the PS3 thus far. It hasn't sold well, which makes it difficult to sell games on. And development requires more money (for now at least) given the console's finicky technology.

Inrelated news, Video Business reported earlier this month that the newly announced 40GB PS3s will be in short supply as Sony purportedly makes more money when selling higher-end models.

Talk about being humbled or the mighty falling. Let's hope the new price drops turn things around. If that doesn't help than I wonder what will.

FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts
Ps3 got reemed.
Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts

They are not going to leave...Its just they are going be Xbox to 360's PS2 :lol:

They aren't going to leave to speak. They just aren't going to be the primary beneficionary anymore.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
Ps3 got reemed.FlaminDeath
Eloquently put :P When you build a console, it helps to design it for the games instead of everything else. Consoles were never meant to be powerful, they're meant to be easy to use (and of course easy to develop for).
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts

If I'm a developer, the most I'd give the PS3 would be a port of a 360 game. I wouldn't even factor the PS3 into the equation if I was choosing between a game that I would target at the Wii or 360. It is simply too niche a console, without a clear demographic. Not sure how many developers "begging" can dissuade.

Sorry Sony, but I think the damage is pretty much irreversible. You were screwed the moment the phrase "six hundred dollars" escaped your lips.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
I agree with Oilers. The PS3 is doing bad, we all have to face it. It is by far the most powerful and technologically advanced system but who cares if there is no games for it. It is a pretty bad idea to make an exclusive game for the PS3 because there arn't that many of them in cirrculation and so you are not going to sell as much as if it was an exclusive for the Wii or 360. I am not surprised if this story is true because we can all see it happening anyway. First it was Rockstar and Take-Two who were making the GTA games for Playstation 2 and then at the end of the gen Xbox gamers got them. Now Xbox 360 gamers are going to get exclusive downloadable content for GTA IV. Other games that have left Playstation exclusiveness are Devil May Cry, Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy Xlll may eventually come onto the 360 because Xl did and there are all those rumours about Metal Gear Solid and well quite frankly Ubisoft are not saying anything about Haze. I'd be surprised if they came out one day to say, "Haze, we're not making a game called Haze".
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

The PS3is lucky that it can share cross platform games with the 360 and PC. Something the more successful wii cannot.

AlwaysSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AlwaysSoft
Member since 2007 • 154 Posts

It's hard to feel sorry for Sony if this is what it has come to. They entered this generation thinking gamers wouldbuy anything they wanted us to buy.

It should have always been about the games first, Sony. If you end up getting another try after this generation is over, I hope you remember that lessonand never forget it.

Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hulabaloza
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts

Highest development cost for lowest potential market = really bad math for 3rd party developers. Then consider the vicious circle that Sony is in - you need good games to sell consoles, but developers only release good games on machines that will guarantee sales ($$).

Sony is screwed. Just look at last months sales numbers and realize that the latest $100 price drop is going to have a minor effect this month (since it's the second $100 price drop in 3 months). Microsoft is going to pull a suprise price cut out of their hat next month or late October, so the Aracde SKU lines up better with the Wii and the PS3 price still looks astronomical, and Sony is left with nowhere to move to and no killer games in sight (another $100 price cut in december?...make it a quarterly thing maybe...).

You watch what happens in the spring of 2008. There is no way 3rd party developers are going to be hanging onto the PS3 then, after the bloodbath Sony goes through during the holiday season. It's going to get trounced, there is nothing Sony can do and developers are going to have no choice but to move resources to a place where they can make a profit.

Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hulabaloza

The PS3is lucky that it can share cross platform games with the 360 and PC. Something the more successful wii cannot.

gaminggeek

Actually, it can't. I won't get into arguing the pros/cons of the cell architecture, but lets just say that while it's closer to 360/modern PC game development than it is single core (last gen) architecture....it's still miles away. The PS3 architecture has almost nothing to do with any PC or console or anything coming in the future. Its code is almost completely non-portable. Look at the PS3 game delays or 'issues' developers have to see this. The weakening position of the PS3 is going to hurt it even more too, cause the higher ups are not going to give people time to reach perfection on a money losing system. The PS3 ports that do come about are going to get less and less polish, if things keep up.

The Wii's advantage is that it's a Gamecube with effects and new wheels. Developers can port last gen games, and will probably never write a new game engine for the console (easy money). Ok, but to gamers that's not an advantage at all, cause it promotes lazy, crap games and rehashed stuff from last gen (at new game prices, no less). Look at the Wii's (pretty bad, imo) third party support, and this is becoming extremely obvious.

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts
At this point it looks like the PS3 will be the equivalent of the gamecube for last generation. A dozen or so magnificent first party efforts and a bunch of cross platform releases which (if the trend continues) won't play as well as the 360 versions.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

If I'm a developer, the most I'd give the PS3 would be a port of a 360 game. I wouldn't even factor the PS3 into the equation if I was choosing between a game that I would target at the Wii or 360. It is simply too niche a console, without a clear demographic. Not sure how many developers "begging" can dissuade.

Sorry Sony, but I think the damage is pretty much irreversible. You were screwed the moment the phrase "six hundred dollars" escaped your lips.

Oilers99

I understand your position, but I disagree. If the PS3 followed your strategy of carving out a rut and then staying within the rut, it would be this generation's GC. I would prefer that it be this generation's Xbox, trying to compete in all areas (sure, platformers never really took off on the Xbox, but MS published a couple of them) and competing in areas the other guys don't bother to compete in. Given the state of its competitors and all of Sony's first and second party talent, there is a lot of space for the second half of the strategy.

The X360 has the broadest library, but there are genres which haven't fared well on the X360 (platformers and jrpgs spring to mind), which might continue to be the case since MS is scaling back its first party publishing and third parties mostly content themselves with catering to the demonstrated tastes of a userbase. And Nintendo is apparently content with cranking out old franchises and minigame collections.

However, an important question is if the PS3 can become profitable for Sony.Some systems with small marketshares such as the GC and PSP have been profitable, but some, such as the Xbox and Saturn, haven't.

Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hulabaloza
[QUOTE="Oilers99"]

CarnageHeart

I understand your position, but I disagree. If the PS3 followed your strategy of carving out a rut and then staying within the rut, it would be this generation's GC. I would prefer that it be this generation's Xbox, trying to compete in all areas (sure, platformers never really took off on the Xbox, but MS published a couple of them) and competing in areas the other guys don't bother to compete in. Given the state of its competitors and all of Sony's first and second party talent, there is a lot of space for the second half of the strategy.

The X360 has the broadest library, but there are genres which haven't fared well on the X360 (platformers and jrpgs spring to mind), which might continue to be the case since MS is scaling back its first party publishing and third parties mostly content themselves with catering to the demonstrated tastes of a userbase. And Nintendo is apparently content with cranking out old franchises and minigame collections.

However, an important question is if the PS3 can become profitable for Sony.Some systems with small marketshares such as the GC and PSP have been profitable, but some, such as the Xbox and Saturn, haven't.

The difference is that with the original XBOX, Microsoft had the strategy of an underdog from day one. They came into it ready to build their own sports games (should EA drop them) and bought the pieces for game genres's their console wasn't being supported in.

Could Sony do that with the PS3? I think their ego would now let them, but the timing won't allow it. That's not a switch you flip - that's a long term strategy. For Sony to now go out and secure top rated exclusives for the PS3 would be next to impossible (think KOTOR or Halo from the old XBOX). Those games were secured before the PS2 was even released. Any games with big sales potential, now, will target the lead consoles. Just like XBOX got the scraps of the PS2.....the PS3 is getting scraps.

I don't think Sony can recover. Look at Sega and never compare anyone to Nintendo. Sega got stupid with new hardware (32X / Saturn) releases and nobody trusted them anymore. I think Sony is on the path to the destruction with the PS brand. When it busts, no one is going to trust the PS4 when it comes out either. Nintendo, on the other hand, is an exception to every rule in gaming and the console business. Sony is not Nintendo....Micrsoft can replace them, and pretty much has now.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CarnageHeart

The difference is that with the original XBOX, Microsoft had the strategy of an underdog from day one. They came into it ready to build their own sports games (should EA drop them) and bought the pieces for game genres's their console wasn't being supported in.

Could Sony do that with the PS3? I think their ego would now let them, but the timing won't allow it. That's not a switch you flip - that's a long term strategy. For Sony to now go out and secure top rated exclusives for the PS3 would be next to impossible (think KOTOR or Halo from the old XBOX). Those games were secured before the PS2 was even released. Any games with big sales potential, now, will target the lead consoles. Just like XBOX got the scraps of the PS2.....the PS3 is getting scraps.

I don't think Sony can recover. Look at Sega and never compare anyone to Nintendo. Sega got stupid with new hardware (32X / Saturn) releases and nobody trusted them anymore. I think Sony is on the path to the destruction with the PS brand. When it busts, no one is going to trust the PS4 when it comes out either. Nintendo, on the other hand, is an exception to every rule in gaming and the console business. Sony is not Nintendo....Micrsoft can replace them, and pretty much has now.

Hulabaloza

I agree with you about MS building to be the underdog, but with the notable exception of sports games, Sony has a good amount of first/second party coverage and they are clearly willing to reach out to promising but unproven developers. Nintendoclearlysees no need to reach outand post-Bungie, it seems like all of MS's big acquisitions seem to be from Nintendo (and that well has dried up unless Miyamoto is looking for a new job).

Your Sony/Sega analogy doesn't hold. Commerical failure alone doesn't hurt hardware makers, poor support (something Sega was certainly guilty of with the Saturn, 32X, Sega CD and the Genesis towards the end of its life) does. In their treatment of the PSP and the PS3, Sony is acting more like Sega did in the SMS days than they did in the 32X/Sega CD/Saturn days.

Yes, Sony is not Nintendo, and that is the highest compliment I can pay them, since there is no sign that they are clinging to old franchises. Aside from the makers of Gran Turismo and probably the makers of SOCOM, other Sony developers have debuted/are debutting with new IP such as Resistance, Uncharted, White Knight Story and Infamous rather than debuting with the sequels to the PS2 games they became famous for. And unlike Nintendo in the GC days Sony is forging alliances with new talent (Media Molecule, thatgamecompany, Ninja Theory) not shedding old talent (SK, Rare).

As for whether or not MS can replace Sony, the X360 is clearly the true successor to the PS2 even though understandably for a system only two years old, the library isn't quite as broad. I am just explaining why I think the PS2 will be the Xbox of its generation and not the GC. Both were runner-ups, but the Xbox boasted a broad library with many original games (KOTOR, Halo, Crimson Skies, Otogi, Forza) whereas the GC boasted a narrow library in which 60% of the games were Mario games (even third parties were publishing Mario games).

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
The problem Sony has isn't just having a smaller install base. PS3 owners just don't seem to be buying as many games. Skate sold 6 times as many copies on 360 as PS3.
james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 james28893
Member since 2007 • 3252 Posts
Serious question. Could this mean that the PS3 drops out of the race (like the Gamecube did last generation)?
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
The ps2 was also difficult to develop for, but what attracted developers was its large userbase. This time around, the ps3 is the laggard and may be in for a tough ride if it can't up sales.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

it's not the system's fault the games on it are below expectations!

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
one bad generation isn't going to send sony packing. even after sega failed the first and second times, people still had hope for sega to recover. and sony is not sega. they were supremely successful the last 2 generations. i think the ps3 will be profitable at some point, if even late in its life, but hopefully sony will learn from this and improve.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#21 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

it's not the system's fault the games on it are below expectations!gamingqueen

It is, actually. Making a console that was hard to develop for wasn't a problem for Sony with the PS2 since the PS2 never saw any real competition at any point in its lifetime. With the PS3, the situation is very different - it is the most expensive console, it's being crushed by its competition, has the smallest userbase that's not nearly as rabid as the 360's, and on top of all that, it's still the hardest to develop for. Where's the incentive for third-party developers to throw any serious support for the system? Couple that with the fact that some multiplatform developers like Pandemic are saying that there's no "mystical hidden power" within the PS3 and you've got a console with way too many problems.

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]it's not the system's fault the games on it are below expectations!UpInFlames

It is, actually. Making a console that was hard to develop for wasn't a problem for Sony with the PS2 since the PS2 never saw any real competition at any point in its lifetime. With the PS3, the situation is very different - it is the most expensive console, it's being crushed by its competition, has the smallest userbase that's not nearly as rabid as the 360's, and on top of all that, it's still the hardest to develop for. Where's the incentive for third-party developers to throw any serious support for the system? Couple that with the fact that some multiplatform developers like Pandemic are saying that there's no "mystical hidden power" within the PS3 and you've got a console with way too many problems.

What you wrote is true and it makes me angry in a big way as they've let Microsoft go unpunished for releasing a badly manufactured and broken console (with a ridiculously low average life expectancy).

All they needed to do was launch it at a price point which would allow it to compete with Microsoft's broken console. As others said, now it might be too late.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#23 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I'd really like to see--in action--what the PS3 is truly capable of, but if devs aren't willing to go the distance, then we may see a landslide in the form of Sony's money.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamingqueen

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]it's not the system's fault the games on it are below expectations!UpInFlames

So once ps3 sells more devs have no problem making games for it right? Is the price that's hurting its sales or the system being difficult for making games? And why do they say multi-plats look better? Is the company so stupid to include cell without knowing the consequences or sell untis for cheap even though it cost them more to make?

AlwaysSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AlwaysSoft
[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]it's not the system's fault the games on it are below expectations!bugsonglass

What you wrote is true and it makes me angry in a big way as they've let Microsoft go unpunished for releasing a badly manufactured and broken console (with a ridiculously low average life expectancy).

All they needed to do was launch it at a price point which would allow it to compete with Microsoft's broken console. As others said, now it might be too late.

I think your priorities are a bit mixed up as a gamer if you believe MS is the one that is more in need of "punishment" than Sony is this generation. While MS definitely should not go without consequence for the issues with the console's hardware (and I believe they have already had to deal with the consequences quite a bit), I think they have done far more for my dollar as a gamer this generation than Sony has even contemplated.

At this moment in time, I'd rather be forced to send my Xbox 360 in for repair twice a year for the rest of this entire generation, than be stuck with only a PS3.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#26 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

So once ps3 sells more devs have no problem making games for it right? Is the price that's hurting its sales or the system being difficult for making games? And why do they say multi-plats look better? Is the company so stupid to include cell without knowing the consequences or sell untis for cheap even though it cost them more to make?gamingqueen

All of these problems roll up into one major issue which ultimately leads third-party developers to reach a simple conclusion - develop games for the Xbox 360 in mind.

Obviously Sony was blinded with arrogance (as Nintendo was in its day) and thought that things would go as smoothly for the PS3 as they did for its predecessors. They were wrong.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#27 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

The GC wasnt that bad.

I mean, it lost last gen, but it had a decent library and sold a lot, just because it was nintendo.

Ps3 is just doing beyond awful, its released like 5 different PS3's with different prices, and I dont understand it.

The game library isnt necessarilly bad, its just, half of the games are already on 360, and at better quality.

system is difficult to develop for, and because of low sales, why should a DEv. even make games for it when they could sell millions on the 360?

I dotn understand the Wii either, the game line up is crap, but apparently its really fun... But inexpensive.

Hats off to Microsoft for making the winning console, thats half broken, even. The game selection is incredible, thats why its winning.

I agree with a guy above, Ide rather send in my xbox360 in for repairtwice a year then play the ps3 the whole gen.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#28 Kazona
Member since 2003 • 1377 Posts
[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]it's not the system's fault the games on it are below expectations!gamingqueen

So once ps3 sells more devs have no problem making games for it right? Is the price that's hurting its sales or the system being difficult for making games? And why do they say multi-plats look better? Is the company so stupid to include cell without knowing the consequences or sell untis for cheap even though it cost them more to make?

From the way I see it, the console was too expensive to begin with, so it didn't sell very well. That was the first problem because it lead to Sony having the lowest userbase on its console, and developing games for the console with the least amount of sales isn't exactly attractive to developers to begin with. The second problem is that the PS3 is more difficult to develop for than other consoles, which means more time and money has to be put into creating a games for it. Again, not an attractive outlook for developers, especially not with the costs of development already being so high as they are.

Simply put: bad PS3 sales + hardest console to develop for = unattractive for 3rd party developers.

AlwaysSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AlwaysSoft
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"][QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]it's not the system's fault the games on it are below expectations!Kazona

From the way I see it, the console was too expensive to begin with, so it didn't sell very well. That was the first problem because it lead to Sony having the lowest userbase on its console, and developing games for the console with the least amount of sales isn't exactly attractive to developers to begin with. The second problem is that the PS3 is more difficult to develop for than other consoles, which means more time and money has to be put into creating a games for it. Again, not an attractive outlook for developers, especially not with the costs of development already being so high as they are.

Simply put: bad PS3 sales + hardest console to develop for = unattractive for 3rd party developers.

The sad thing is, I'd be the first one busting through the door to pay 600 for the console given proper incentive. For many of us, price is the least of the issues with that console.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

This is what I figured was happening behind the scenes. I mean, it doesn't take much to add two and two together. Square and Konami execs were publicly saying they might have to release their games on other platforms recently, then they fell silent, and now we have a $400 PS3. I'm sure Sony is trying to keep those developers in the fold, and I think this price drop is possibly their last chance to do it. If this doesn't have a drastic effect on the state of the system, I think there are going to be some bombshells dropped in Q1 '08.

Sony made the right (and only) move with the price drop. Thing is, this has been a perfect storm of worst case scenarios for Sony. You have the Wii still selling out nearly a year after launch. You have the PS2 still selling doubly what the PS3 is. You have the 360 with a super-strong holiday lineup that includes Halo. You have a PS3 base that isn't buying third-party games a whole lot better than the Wii base is. You have a public and media that has a very negative perception of the system.

The thing is, Metal Gear isn't going to save the system. I don't think Metal Gear made the PS2 either. Let's face it, the Playstation brand's strength has always been strength through diversity - a ton of great games that no one else had, and with the cost and risk being like it is this generation, it just doesn't make sense for developers to marry themselves to any console. I think Sony saw this coming to a degree, and that's why they've been so hardcore about getting first-party IPs in the stable, but I don't think they thought it would happen this fast or this hard.

I've gotten to the point where I don't know what will help the system. Like I said, the price cut is good, and I don't think the lack of backwards compatibility is going to hurt them as much as others do. Speaking for myself, this is the first system that I've had for a year and only had two games for, both of which are first-party exclusives. This is such a stark contrast to the me that had almost ninety percent of my multiplatform experiences on the PS2 last gen.

It's not all bad, though. I could see the system outselling the 360 in '08 (due to price and a budding library), and that would be a good start, but possibly too late. Surrendering two holiday seasons usually sets things in stone, and they would have to outsell the 360 by more than a few thousand units each month to make a dent in the lead -- a close sales race with the PS3 outselling the 360 by 50,000 a month means they'd never gain the lead due to the gulf in sales numbers right now. In order to come back strong, they need to outsell the 360 by the hundreds of thousands for months on end, and I don't know that that is a possibility given the state of things. Plus, they still have to deal with the Wii in that scenario, which is an animal that can't be fought with conventional software from what I can tell.

Oddly enough, I think the similarities to the 360 are what is helping Sony right now. Basically, if the 360 gets a game, it doesn't take a whole lot to make a PS3 version of the 360 version. In that sense, I think Sony should be very glad that the 360 hasn't tanked, or they would be in worse trouble than they are, IMO.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
the only thing that keeps me hopeful is that i only owned 1 xbox 360 game in almost its first year. one. single. game. there were mediocre filler games that i could have bought, but i didn't. mainly because of the price jump coupled with the fact that with the ps2, i got used to being able to buy only quality games that i knew were worth the cost.
sony does have the japanese ace of FFXIII up its sleeve. we saw with the mobile phone games and psp that the japanese will buy a system for final fantasy. add the factor of japanese loyalty, and it might be enough for people to buy a still too pricey ps3.
the rest of the world is a huge problem. the fact that i dont own a ps3 speaks volumes. i had planned to buy a ps3 at launch regardless of the price, just because of the history sony has. i lucked out in the fact that it was sold out everywhere. when it finally came in stock, the price made me think about the purchase, and the lack of library sealed the no-deal.
the library is still the deal killer for me. ill buy a system for a must have game. sony has no such ace. even FFXIII isn't impressing me enough to pay $460 for it.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CarnageHeart

The GC wasnt that bad.

I dotn understand the Wii either, the game line up is crap, but apparently its really fun... But inexpensive.

Shmiity

If you liked the GC, why don't you like the Wii? In terms of hardcore games it is better off than the GC was at this stage. Right now it has Paper Mario, Zelda and Metroid and Super Mario Galaxy and SSBM are en route.

Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts
[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]it's not the system's fault the games on it are below expectations!bugsonglass

So you mean...Lets forget the last two generations of crappy Sony Hardware...Disc Error anyone? People were surprized PS3 was well made. Not to mention unlike Sony...MS fessed up to it. 3Year Warrenty.

Anyways on to the topic

To be frank, About all that can be said is. Sony has to be thankful to MS. Because its the only reason why its getting games. Multiplats between PC/360/PS3. Someone mentioned already...Skate on PS3 sold like 30k copies while 360 sold 175k. Close to 6x the difference.

And for the most part...why would a developer waste thier time? Most Expensive. Hardest to develop for. No software sales for the most part. Its just not pretty...they are looking to be identical to what the Cube was last gen except switch the numbers in NA dn Europe lol. Your buying it for those 1st party and few 3rd party exculsives. Not much else.

AlwaysSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AlwaysSoft
[QUOTE="Shmiity"]

The GC wasnt that bad.

CarnageHeart

If you liked the GC, why don't you like the Wii? In terms of hardcore games it is better off than the GC was at this stage. Right now it has Paper Mario, Zelda and Metroid and Super Mario Galaxy and SSBM are en route.

I think the hardcore status that those games would've enjoyed before,is somewhat diminished by the fact that there are two other "true" new gen consoles and a PC delivering true new generation content.

As fanboy-ish as that may sound, I own a Wii, love Nintendo's franchises, and still can't bring myself to dust it off when I have the likes of Bioshock, Halo 3, and Mass Effect just waiting to be played.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
I think the "harder to develop for" stuff is kinda blown out of proportion. Yes its harder to work with than the 360, but is that really the reason devs target the 360 first? Of course not. Devs target whatever platform they think their game will sell on. They're clever people and they can generally adapt to whatever hardware they're working with, no matter how complex it is *cough* PS2 *cough* provided their game will sell on it. Being easier to develop for doesn't guarantee that devs will make games for your platform or the best version of their game, no matter how powerful or dev-friendly your console is *cough* Xbox * cough*.

Of course the fact that the PS3 can be a pain doesn't help, because it means when devs put in half the effort they get half the results sometimes (which you can see with games like Madden). But I don't think its their biggest problem here.
sinseers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sinseers
Member since 2003 • 318 Posts

You know what? This is really starting to remind me of the Saturn days. Only Sony was actually convincing devs not to dev on the Saturn at all. It was looked at as a deving nightmare due to its "Duel Core Styled" technology and "Lack of Tech Support" which really translated into shoddy ports if it got one at all. Most if not all the multiplats shared by the saturn and the PSX sold more on the Sony machine which just adding more fuel to the flame.

The same can be applied today. The reason Sony is in the pickle that they are in right now is a combination of 4 things.

1. Price - Self Explanatory

2. Dev Environment - i.e. The Cell architecture which takes alot of time and money to take advantage of in a time where dev costs are going through the roof.

3. Brand Name Recognition - Relying on the "Playstation" name to instantly propel them to the top spot from the jump.

Last but not least........drum roll please......................

4. Gross underestimation of the Competition - No one on God's green earth can defend this one. Sony clearly underestimated MS and the Ninty BIG TIME. This kinda ties in with number 3 but takes on a life of its own when studied. All they saw was a 100 million+ PS2 userbase that they thought they had eating out of their hands so what do they do? Totally ignore MS and Ninty's strategies until reality started setting in. And it started setting in pretty early for Sony.

They never imagined that the Wii would be doing the hardware numbers that it is currently doing all because of its architecture and the fact that it's by Nintendo. Then they look on over to MS who not only started to snag what once were PS only games but now these shared games are starting to appeal better visually on the 360. Not to mention sell more units. Who in their right mind would have thought that Madden 360 would have outsold the PS3 and PS2 versions? That right there is the tell tale mark of where things are headed.

Sony's only hope now is that the $400 model appeals to enough people between now and the time top tier 3rd party games like MGS4 is supposed to launch or you might wake up to read some disturbing news. This holiday season is CRUCIAL for Sony. Let me repeat that....this holiday season is CRUCIAL for Sony.

Devs and investors alike are going to be watching PS3's hardware performance like a hawk from Oct-Dec. and if things don't look promising (500k - Up/month) for the rest of the year in the NPDs, well let's just say there may be some new years resolutions taking place that could leave the Sony's beloved hype machine high and dry.
trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts

[QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]

CarnageHeart

I agree with you about MS building to be the underdog, but with the notable exception of sports games, Sony has a good amount of first/second party coverage and they are clearly willing to reach out to promising but unproven developers. Nintendoclearlysees no need to reach outand post-Bungie, it seems like all of MS's big acquisitions seem to be from Nintendo (and that well has dried up unless Miyamoto is looking for a new job).

Your Sony/Sega analogy doesn't hold. Commerical failure alone doesn't hurt hardware makers, poor support (something Sega was certainly guilty of with the Saturn, 32X, Sega CD and the Genesis towards the end of its life) does. In their treatment of the PSP and the PS3, Sony is acting more like Sega did in the SMS days than they did in the 32X/Sega CD/Saturn days.

Yes, Sony is not Nintendo, and that is the highest compliment I can pay them, since there is no sign that they are clinging to old franchises. Aside from the makers of Gran Turismo and probably the makers of SOCOM, other Sony developers have debuted/are debutting with new IP such as Resistance, Uncharted, White Knight Story and Infamous rather than debuting with the sequels to the PS2 games they became famous for. And unlike Nintendo in the GC days Sony is forging alliances with new talent (Media Molecule, thatgamecompany, Ninja Theory) not shedding old talent (SK, Rare).

As for whether or not MS can replace Sony, the X360 is clearly the true successor to the PS2 even though understandably for a system only two years old, the library isn't quite as broad. I am just explaining why I think the PS2 will be the Xbox of its generation and not the GC. Both were runner-ups, but the Xbox boasted a broad library with many original games (KOTOR, Halo, Crimson Skies, Otogi, Forza) whereas the GC boasted a narrow library in which 60% of the games were Mario games (even third parties were publishing Mario games).

I think the system so far is most like the Saturn. Tough to develop for, overpriced and loaded with late, inferior ports.

The Gamecube also had a higher profile lineup. Sunshine, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime and Smash Brothers were availible within the first year. Insomniac's games have made the biggest splashes, but these are B-level franchises at most, at least in marketing terms...

All the sure-games have slipped into 08. Home misses it's launch, and we know how long it took XBL to get out of niche status.

This all comes back to Blue-ray...if it did what it needed to do Sony could strip blue-ray and other components and have a chance at a comeback. But now Sony needs the PS3 to stand a chance in the format war, because Toshiba is getting awfully close to getting HD-players under $200. Studios will shy away from exclusive deals because really all people do when a movie they want is on a different format is buy the DVD, like I did with Transformers. So when Sony looks back they'll see Blue-ray may have harmed the PS3 more then it helped it. By the time HD media gets mainstream cheap it's hard to say if optical media will even be viable.

superartan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 superartan
Member since 2003 • 199 Posts
I personally don't think Sony is in that much trouble right now, because at E3 they stated they only missed their target by 500k, so I think they expected their sales to be dire at first, I'll make my mind up about the console after 08 where it's most important games are coming out. Also people are forgetting PS1 had a pretty bad start to untill FF7 came out for it I believe which is when it truly took off. Also by plead I would guess they actually probibly mean giving money to Third Party Devs to make games for them, somehow I just can't see SCE or any other company to be begging for games, it would be futile.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

This all comes back to Blue-ray...if it did what it needed to do Sony could strip blue-ray and other components and have a chance at a comeback. But now Sony needs the PS3 to stand a chance in the format war, because Toshiba is getting awfully close to getting HD-players under $200. Studios will shy away from exclusive deals because really all people do when a movie they want is on a different format is buy the DVD, like I did with Transformers. So when Sony looks back they'll see Blue-ray may have harmed the PS3 more then it helped it. By the time HD media gets mainstream cheap it's hard to say if optical media will even be viable.

trifecta_basic

I can't really argue with those statements. As much as I've grown to love and appreciate the quality of Blue Ray the truth is that 95% of consumers don't give a ****. The penetration of HDTV owners is so low that Sony's pushing of the medium, basically forcing it down the consumer's throats, really wasn't a very smart move. It's almost as if they thought forcing Blue Ray on consumers would make them in turn by HDTVs.

FYI, Paramount opted to totally abandon Blue Ray which is why Transformers is HDDVD only. As soon as theirinventory of Blue Ray films is depleted, there will be no more Paramount releases on Blue Ray.

james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 james28893
Member since 2007 • 3252 Posts
I think what console manufacturers have to realise is that we'd rather have a cheaper, better console than a bloated, expensive media centre.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I think the system so far is most like the Saturn. Tough to develop for, overpriced and loaded with late, inferior ports.

The Gamecube also had a higher profile lineup. Sunshine, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime and Smash Brothers were availible within the first year. Insomniac's games have made the biggest splashes, but these are B-level franchises at most, at least in marketing terms...

All the sure-games have slipped into 08. Home misses it's launch, and we know how long it took XBL to get out of niche status.

trifecta_basic

They can't take Blu-Ray out now.  For one, they'd have to recall every game they've printed.  For two, I think that would be a bigger blow to them than anything else.  Pulling Blu-Ray would be admitting defeat on two fronts.

Besides any of that, I think Blu-Ray will hurt them in the short run, but really help them in the long run.  Too many developers that are working on 360 games are starting to run out of room.  I don't intend to turn this into system wars, but games are getting bigger, and I don't think DVD is enough to last through this generation.  It is fine for the Wii, and it is fine for linear games on the 360, but what happens when you make a sandbox sty!e game on the 360 and you run out of room.  That is a bigger problem than a console 'being hard to program for', considering that not every 360 has an HDD to install to.

Besides any of that, while I agree that the PS3 must be harder to program for than the 360, I think that in most cases it is just hard to port a game designed for the 360 over to the PS3.  Ground up PS3 games seem to be just fine.  I realize I'm coming off as being a defensive fanboy, but I just don't think it is all doom and gloom for Sony.  They just had a price drop, they have a decent holiday lineup, and a fantastic 2008 ahead of them.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shame-usBlackley

They can't take Blu-Ray out now. For one, they'd have to recall every game they've printed. For two, I think that would be a bigger blow to them than anything else. Pulling Blu-Ray would be admitting defeat on two fronts.

Besides any of that, I think Blu-Ray will hurt them in the short run, but really help them in the long run. Too many developers that are working on 360 games are starting to run out of room. I don't intend to turn this into system wars, but games are getting bigger, and I don't think DVD is enough to last through this generation. It is fine for the Wii, and it is fine for linear games on the 360, but what happens when you make a sandbox sty!e game on the 360 and you run out of room. That is a bigger problem than a console 'being hard to program for', considering that not every 360 has an HDD to install to.

Besides any of that, while I agree that the PS3 must be harder to program for than the 360, I think that in most cases it is just hard to port a game designed for the 360 over to the PS3. Ground up PS3 games seem to be just fine. I realize I'm coming off as being a defensive fanboy, but I just don't think it is all doom and gloom for Sony. They just had a price drop, they have a decent holiday lineup, and a fantastic 2008 ahead of them.

rragnaar

They totally can't take out Blu-ray, I agree. And besides, at this point, the price is $400, so it isn't like removing Blu-ray is going to help anything, because if the system doesn't spike at $400, it's not going to at all. Taking out Blu-ray isn't even a possibility.

Sandbox games I could see being an issue for DVD, but there are so few of them that I don't know how much it'll matter long-term.

And yeah, you're not being a defensive fanboy. You've made a $600 investment and want to see a return on the investment. Hell, I'm in the same boat. There is very much a side of me that would like to see Sony kick ass this season and into next year. And it definitely isn't doom and gloom either way -- the PS3 isn't going anywhere, even if it does stay where it is. Third place has equated to 20+ million systems sold in the past, and that's not all that bad, because even those systems had kick ass exclusives that warranted the purchase.

But I'm also angry at Sony. I'm angry because everyone in the world told them this would happen, and they did it anyway. And I'm also resentful that they came so woefully unprepared for the generation. They've had one of the slowest starts of any generation in recent memory. And then they've made critical errors, like putting God of War II on the PS2 instead of making it for the PS3, which made no sense to me at all.

Sony will be fine either way, though. I don't think there's any way that they'll be as prolific as they were with the PS1 and PS2, but that doesn't make them dead by any means.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gamingqueen

Sony will pick upwith both consoles. Just as the psp sales are picking up, the ps3 will pick up too and for the same reason. I can't say why though I know i'm not allowed to say the reason why it will but it's not FF nor mgs.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gamingqueen

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]They can't take Blu-Ray out now. For one, they'd have to recall every game they've printed. For two, I think that would be a bigger blow to them than anything else. Pulling Blu-Ray would be admitting defeat on two fronts.

Besides any of that, I think Blu-Ray will hurt them in the short run, but really help them in the long run. Too many developers that are working on 360 games are starting to run out of room. I don't intend to turn this into system wars, but games are getting bigger, and I don't think DVD is enough to last through this generation. It is fine for the Wii, and it is fine for linear games on the 360, but what happens when you make a sandbox sty!e game on the 360 and you run out of room. That is a bigger problem than a console 'being hard to program for', considering that not every 360 has an HDD to install to.

Besides any of that, while I agree that the PS3 must be harder to program for than the 360, I think that in most cases it is just hard to port a game designed for the 360 over to the PS3. Ground up PS3 games seem to be just fine. I realize I'm coming off as being a defensive fanboy, but I just don't think it is all doom and gloom for Sony. They just had a price drop, they have a decent holiday lineup, and a fantastic 2008 ahead of them.

Shame-usBlackley

They totally can't take out Blu-ray, I agree. And besides, at this point, the price is $400, so it isn't like removing Blu-ray is going to help anything, because if the system doesn't spike at $400, it's not going to at all. Taking out Blu-ray isn't even a possibility.

Sandbox games I could see being an issue for DVD, but there are so few of them that I don't know how much it'll matter long-term.

And yeah, you're not being a defensive fanboy. You've made a $600 investment and want to see a return on the investment. Hell, I'm in the same boat. There is very much a side of me that would like to see Sony kick ass this season and into next year. And it definitely isn't doom and gloom either way -- the PS3 isn't going anywhere, even if it does stay where it is. Third place has equated to 20+ million systems sold in the past, and that's not all that bad, because even those systems had kick ass exclusives that warranted the purchase.

But I'm also angry at Sony. I'm angry because everyone in the world told them this would happen, and they did it anyway. And I'm also resentful that they came so woefully unprepared for the generation. They've had one of the slowest starts of any generation in recent memory. And then they've made critical errors, like putting God of War II on the PS2 instead of making it for the PS3, which made no sense to me at all.

Sony will be fine either way, though. I don't think there's any way that they'll be as prolific as they were with the PS1 and PS2, but that doesn't make them dead by any means.

cause the number of people who had ps2 was 10000000000000X more than the people who will buy a ps3.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shame-usBlackley

cause the number of people who had ps2 was 10000000000000X more than the people who will buy a ps3.

gamingqueen

That's still the case, so by that logic they should just put everything on the PS2 instead of the PS3. Yeah, not a good idea, in my opinion.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gamingqueen
Blurray didn't fail sony... it onlydelayed its success.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#47 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Sony has been doing good things with both the PSP and PS3 since after E3... the question is the damage too late?

Also, the same could be said for the Wii. First we have a massive influx of games. Oh... they almost all suck. Hmm... is the Wii such a good thing to develop for?

The 360 is the only console with a stable game consumption rate (regardless of the stability of the system, people buy games for the 360 more than any other system).

Clearly developers around the world see this with the exception of Square for the most part.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shame-usBlackley

The 360 is the only console with a stable game consumption rate (regardless of the stability of the system, people buy games for the 360 more than any other system).

Clearly developers around the world see this with the exception of Square for the most part.

SemiMaster

Well, a lot of Square's business is in Japan, and the 360 is pretty much done there. Also, Square has to be seeing what is happening to JRPGs on the 360 and that has to give them pause. I'm not saying the Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata are in the same league as Final Fantasy, but those games absolutely tanked on the 360.

It's not just a matter of Square being stubborn about releasing games on the 360, it's that Square may have damn good reasons not to. The base buys the hell out of most anything but JRPGs so far, and based on what I've seen, there's no way I'd be thinking about releasing a JRPG on the 360 if I was Square.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#49 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
[QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

Shame-usBlackley

Well, a lot of Square's business is in Japan, and the 360 is pretty much done there. Also, Square has to be seeing what is happening to JRPGs on the 360 and that has to give them pause. I'm not saying the Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata are in the same league as Final Fantasy, but those games absolutely tanked on the 360.

It's not just a matter of Square being stubborn about releasing games on the 360, it's that Square may have damn good reasons not to. The base buys the hell out of most anything but JRPGs so far, and based on what I've seen, there's no way I'd be thinking about releasing a JRPG on the 360 if I was Square.

Eternal Sonata has done better than Blue Dragon did by far.

And I'm pretty sure half of Final Fantasy sales come from places OTHER than Japan, namely North America and Europe.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

Shame-usBlackley

It is nice that the market has gotten big enough where third place is still profitable... and I am definitely frustrated with Sony.  I like Blu-Ray quite a bit as a movie buff.  I'm getting 4 or 5 Stanley Kubrick Blu-Rays in the mail on Thursday, that said, I liked the PS1 and PS2 for their game components, not for the place they had in my home theater.  I think Blu-Ray is an essential component in the PS3 as a game machine, I just am frustrated that Kutaragi and some of the top brass at Sony lost focus on the PS3 as a gaming machine for a while.  I feel like E3 proved that Kaz is moving them back to where they need to be, as it was all about games, games, and more games.  It is going to take them a while to get back on track, but I think they can do it.

I really think that Sony needs to let their Playstation unit operate with a little more autonomy.  As much as I like Blu-Ray, I don't like that my PS3 is a trojan horse in the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray format war.  The PS2 was great because you never ran out of good things to play on it.  Not because it was a cheap DVD player.