Something about Duke Nukem that's been bugging me...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-598eef4dcda95
deactivated-598eef4dcda95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-598eef4dcda95
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts

I love the Duke Nukem series and it's one of my favorites.

The thing is, I play and favor FPS games a helluva lot more than Platformers. And out of all the Duke Nukem games that have been released (about 10 or 12), only 4 of them are true FPS games, the rest of them being either TPS or Platformers.

So the thing that's bugging me is, can Duke Nukem still be considered an FPS series when only 1/3 of the series is comprised of that genre? Don't get me wrong, I do like playing Platformers (I've beaten SMB The Lost Levels without even trying, not joking), but again, not as much as FPS...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

It is a shooter, the most successful (or, in some cases, most infamous) installments are first-person shooters, so that is what we know them as.

I remember playing the old Duke Nukem on Windows 4.1 (along with Chip's Challenge, Skifree, and other near-forgotten gems) and it was a platformer, and it was a lot of fun! But Duke Nukem 3D is an amazing game, and that is what defined the franchise ultimately.

Things change, people, games etc. I don't think we should define what a game should be because of it's past any more than we define what a person should be based on who they were when they were 12 years old.