SOCOM 2 vs. SOCOM: Combined Assault

This topic is locked from further discussion.

choobstree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 choobstree
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Anyway, I'm wondering which of these I should pick up (SOCOM 2, OR SOCOM: Combined Assault). Normally I would just say Combined Assault, as its newer, however I hear it has its share of problems. One complaint I've heard is that its graphics are roughly equivalent to the first SOCOM. Also, Gameinformer gave SOCOM 2 a 9, and Combined Assault a 6.5. Still, perhaps its just because as time went on their expectations got higher, and in reality if SOCOM 2 was reviewed then it would receive a similar rating. I'm not sure what the truth is though, I'm a legacy noob, I'm really only doing legacy gaming to prepare myself for their next-gen sequels, so I cant really judge any of this without your help.

Also, Is Killzone good at all (worth a buy?) or should I just wait for Killzone 2. Mainly Id be looking for good online in it (do a lot of people still play it?). Thanks in advance.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#2 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts

Offline Socom:CA is far superior to Socom 2, I dont know what crackhead thinks the graphics are bad in CA lol but they are dead wrong. I wouldnt have a clue as to which is better online. Dont forget it goes 1,2,3, CA. I like socom over medal of honor and call of duty type games any day of the week, its a more realistic shooter.

Killzone took some getting used to but i ended up loving it and playing through it repeatedly. The biggest thing I had to get used to was if you dont aim for the head it can take all day to drop the badguys, and you have limited ammo/have to use what others drop. Once you start aiming for the heads its really awesome. Killzone introduces 3 other characters as you play through the story and you can choose which one you want to take through a chapter. Each one has specific weapons they start out with and take "slightly" different paths through stages. Sadly it had no offline multiplayer and i dont have online.

Urban Chaos is another wicked shooter. Great controls and size of bad guys. Headshots are randomly rewarded with slowmo shots of the guy going down. What makes UC awesome is that each stage has a bunch of goals like take x amount of people alive, get x amount of headshots, find all the masks, some other things. You will probably have to replayeach stage a few times to get all the goals but its cool because you unlock new weapons and or upgrades to old stuff.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

The Socom games are hard to beat. I am still working on getting all the ranks in 1, 2, and 3 in single player. But CA has a badge system on top of the ranking system that is used to unlock your weapons that you can then use in on-line games after there unlocked in single player (there is a total of 32 badges to unlock). If you get all 32, then you will have your MGL to use on-line.

Socom 1 in single player takes a lot of leadership skills to get your team to work together through all the missions, this game has 8 ranks to finish the game completely (I'm working on Captain now in single player and there is 2 more after I finish this rank). There still people playing this game on-line.

Socom 2 has all of the things that Socom one had but it adds some extra weapons and it only has 5 ranks to beat to unlock all the weapons. And in single player one mission seems to leave you and your team feeling like you were defeated, but don't worry it's not over yet.

Socom 3 has all the former things but now it adds vehicles that you can use or some you just take from the enemy to use against them. Also the mission that felt like you and your team lost in Socom 2, you are now able to go back and defeat the bad guy this time around. While kicking butt and taking names (prisoners). This game also has 5 ranks to finish and unlock all the weapons.

Socom CA is a completely different game that has only 3 ranks but has a bunch of badges instead. And the last badge is a tough one to obtain because the only way to kill the bad guys is a single headshot (even with a close handgun shot) or a knife kill. Or you can capture the ones that you don't kill (you have to capture a certain number to get one badge anyway) and you have to have a certain number of headshots to get another badge and a certain number of knife kills for another badge.

I play all of these games on a 60 gig PS3 and a LCD HDTV and the graphics looks better than any 360 game on the market today.

xXtheabombXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xXtheabombXx
Member since 2004 • 775 Posts

The Socom games are hard to beat. I am still working on getting all the ranks in 1, 2, and 3 in single player. But CA has a badge system on top of the ranking system that is used to unlock your weapons that you can then use in on-line games after there unlocked in single player (there is a total of 32 badges to unlock). If you get all 32, then you will have your MGL to use on-line.

Socom 1 in single player takes a lot of leadership skills to get your team to work together through all the missions, this game has 8 ranks to finish the game completely (I'm working on Captain now in single player and there is 2 more after I finish this rank). There still people playing this game on-line.

Socom 2 has all of the things that Socom one had but it adds some extra weapons and it only has 5 ranks to beat to unlock all the weapons. And in single player one mission seems to leave you and your team feeling like you were defeated, but don't worry it's not over yet.

Socom 3 has all the former things but now it adds vehicles that you can use or some you just take from the enemy to use against them. Also the mission that felt like you and your team lost in Socom 2, you are now able to go back and defeat the bad guy this time around. While kicking butt and taking names (prisoners). This game also has 5 ranks to finish and unlock all the weapons.

Socom CA is a completely different game that has only 3 ranks but has a bunch of badges instead. And the last badge is a tough one to obtain because the only way to kill the bad guys is a single headshot (even with a close handgun shot) or a knife kill. Or you can capture the ones that you don't kill (you have to capture a certain number to get one badge anyway) and you have to have a certain number of headshots to get another badge and a certain number of knife kills for another badge.

I play all of these games on a 60 gig PS3 and a LCD HDTV and the graphics looks better than any 360 game on the market today.

jimm895

I call bull on that last statement, and if you really do believe that than you are a blind fanboy.

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts
Socom 2 is 100% better than Combined Assault. If it weren't for the cheaters on Socom 2, it would be near perfect. Although I liked Socom 1 the best. Better hit detection.
Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts
Sadly it (Killzone) had no offline multiplayer and i dont have online.

_AbBaNdOn

I'm pretty sure it had two-player modes.
Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts

SOCOM 3 is by far the best!

foxtrot_iv

Forum Posts