So Netflix will start offering game rentals soon -- thoughts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#1 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

So as part of Netflix's just announced structural changes, the company announced it would be adding video games to their rental-by-mail service. (It's only briefly touched on, though, both in the article and on the Netflix Blog.) GameFly was previously the only big-name online rental service for video games, so Netflix's sudden entry could be interesting given their superiority in this rental field.

So, thoughts? Personally, I'm intrigued. GameFly, reliable as it is, has always been notoriously slow with delivery, whereas Netflix has been abnormally fast. If Netflix ends up having as extensive a library as GameFly, I could see myself abandoning them for Netflix.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts
That's great news. If they can have the same inventory for games as they do for movies, I'll have to subscribe. The only reason I don't for Gamefly is they never have newer titles available. Hopefully this will push them to lower prices and better stock.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

So there will be an additional charge for games "Just like with Blu ray", as in two dollars a month extra? Because for two bucks a month I'll definitely rent games from them. But if it's $20 a month or something, meh, probably not.

Pretty cool video the way he's apologizing for the big price increase. I've always thought I got way more than my money's worth from Netflix, even with the price increase. But it's cool he sincerely apologizes anyway.

Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
That is good news, and that will most likely put GameFly out of business eventually.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
That is good news, and that will most likely put GameFly out of business eventually. UprootedDreamer
I hope not. Competition is a good thing for consumers.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
This will speed the movement towards online passes and digital distribution.
Rottenwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Rottenwood
Member since 2004 • 1786 Posts

Kind of a strange move - with digital distribution gaining power, the time for game rentals is drawing to a close. NetFlix is jumping onto a sinking ship.

Not to mention the fact that most developers use on-line codes and other deterrents, specifically because of crap like this.

Between this and their other recent misfires, I'm beginning to think NetFlix was taken over by pod people.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts
Do they have more distribution centers than Gamefly? I would be interested in hearing how their subscriptions and fees would change. A little competition would be a good thing, though I am pretty content with Gamefly at the moment.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
That's great news. If they can have the same inventory for games as they do for movies, I'll have to subscribe. The only reason I don't for Gamefly is they never have newer titles available. Hopefully this will push them to lower prices and better stock. MirkoS77
They would IF and a big IF you do like I do and ONLY add never released games in your queue. You get new games all the time. It all depends on how much and would they get them out as fast as they do movies--1 day. If not I rather stick with GameFly.
Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
If only we got Netflix in my country..... :(
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Do they have more distribution centers than Gamefly? I would be interested in hearing how their subscriptions and fees would change. A little competition would be a good thing, though I am pretty content with Gamefly at the moment. _Dez_

I think Netflix has at least one distribution center in every state, whereas GameFly only has a few across the country.

ialter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ialter
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
this is the only way i'll be getting netflix honestly.
DJChuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DJChuy
Member since 2010 • 1851 Posts

I'll upgrade depending on the price. Though being able to pay my Netflix account with Paypal is a huge plus for me; Gamefly doesn't let you pay with Paypal. Either way, this is good news. Hopefully this will get Gamefly to step it up and open up more distribution centers and maybe lower their prices.

The_saint1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_saint1976
Member since 2003 • 258 Posts

With developers and publishers doing everything they can to eliminate used games sales, renting videogames and borrowing / sharing with friends are soon to be a thing of the past.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dracula68

With developers and publishers doing everything they can to eliminate used games sales, renting videogames and borrowing / sharing with friends are soon to be a thing of the past.

The_saint1976
Why is that? I will always rent since I am not made of money and able to buy every new game or even every games at least half off.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

The_saint1976

Publishers get a piece of rentals. Developers typically don't, but that's a developer/publisher contract thing.

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]That's great news. If they can have the same inventory for games as they do for movies, I'll have to subscribe. The only reason I don't for Gamefly is they never have newer titles available. Hopefully this will push them to lower prices and better stock. Dracula68
They would IF and a big IF you do like I do and ONLY add never released games in your queue. You get new games all the time. It all depends on how much and would they get them out as fast as they do movies--1 day. If not I rather stick with GameFly.

Yeah but how often are you sitting there with nothing to play while you burn up "paid for" days of the month? I had the two out plan and had one slot reserved for new titles ( I would have all new titles and ONLY one "available now" older title in my queue ) and one slot reserved for stuff I knew they could send me in a decent amount of time.

I would cycle 2 or 3 games ( recieved, played, returned ) through that one slot in the amount of time they spent sending something new in the other slot even when i had 5 or 6 new games from which they could choose.

Sure, the way you are talking about greatly increases your chances of getting something new but it always made me feel like I was getting half of what I paid for.

When you couple low inventory with inexplicably slow shipping ( 4 days to send a game a distance I could probably walk in the same amount of time? lol ) it's hard to believe that the new netflix service WONT be lots better. If the price is anywhere near right it'll be a no brainer.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dracula68

Yeah but how often are you sitting there with nothing to play while you burn up "paid for" days of the month? I had the two out plan and had one slot reserved for new titles ( I would have all new titles and ONLY one "available now" older title in my queue ) and one slot reserved for stuff I knew they could send me in a decent amount of time.

I would cycle 2 or 3 games ( recieved, played, returned ) through that one slot in the amount of time they spent sending something new in the other slot even when i had 5 or 6 new games from which they could choose.

Sure, the way you are talking about greatly increases your chances of getting something new but it always made me feel like I was getting half of what I paid for.

When you couple low inventory with inexplicably slow shipping ( 4 days to send a game a distance I could probably walk in the same amount of time? lol ) it's hard to believe that the new netflix service WONT be lots better. If the price is anywhere near right it'll be a no brainer.

Alter_Echo

I have one game out at a time. I never had to wait long at all....maybe a few days if I finished a game on a Tuesday then I had to wait till the following Tuesday to ship a new game. Yeah shipping is ridiculous since they added more than just the CA center. I swear I used to get games in 3 days and now it is 4 at the minimum coming from only 200 miles away from me.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#19 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
me no likey, es bad voodoo
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

Nah I got gamefly. There is a shipping center in Tampa so I get my games within 2 to 3 days.

Alex3796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 1

#21 Alex3796
Member since 2009 • 2669 Posts
To reiterate what you said, if they can match the size of GameFly's collection and have faster delivery times, I will switch for sure.
Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mawy_Golomb
Member since 2008 • 1047 Posts

This is definitely good for the economy and for consumers themselves. More competition means more options and possibly better prices for goods/services. Let's hope that GameFly and Netflix will compete really hard against each other for the consumer.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

[QUOTE="Dracula68"][QUOTE="MirkoS77"]That's great news. If they can have the same inventory for games as they do for movies, I'll have to subscribe. The only reason I don't for Gamefly is they never have newer titles available. Hopefully this will push them to lower prices and better stock. Alter_Echo

Yup, that's the problem. I had a 2 out plan, and ended up waiting weeks with no games. Not worth it, and it felt like I was getting 50% of my money's worth. I don't know what everyone's talking about with the slow shipping though, I live in Hawaii and my turn-around is usually 2-3 days (which is unheard of coming and going from the mainland). Perhaps they have a warehouse on O'ahu, but generally I've found their shipping to be fairly fast.

nymets819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#24 nymets819
Member since 2007 • 5568 Posts

Here's how I look at it. I pay $17 for just one game out at a time, but if I can get a movie and a game for $20 that would definitely be worth it. Might be time to bid Gamefly adieu and get back to Netflix.

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
And I bet you have to wait forever if its a new game that is popular. I see the words "Long Wait" in all your futures.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 c_rakestraw  Moderator

And I bet you have to wait forever if its a new game that is popular. I see the words "Long Wait" in all your futures.Lostboy1224

Wouldn't be any different from GameFly in that regard. That's just something you willingly put up with when you rent games.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
It might work, as long as the people Netflix has hired know games. Otherwise they might end up with a lousy collection. But if they listen to customer emails (like GoG does) then maybe our input can ensure a good selection.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I'm leaning towards cancelling my netflix. What started at about $12/month(I do the bluray option), is now at about $25/month.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Just-Breathe

I'm leaning towards cancelling my netflix. What started at about $12/month(I do the bluray option), is now at about $25/month.

Heirren
Even for 25 dollars a month, you get your moneys worth.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Just-Breathe

That is why I go back and fourth between whether or not I want to cancel. I look at the big picture though, I spend $30 or so for cable internet, $50/year for xbox live, $25 for netflix, and then the phone bill of course. It adds up.

I don't use it as much as most people, which is why i'm considering ending netflix. Before it was like, "okay, $10/month is nothing. Even if I only watch 3 movies a month it is still worth it, but now?" Hmmm. I think they are running themselves into the ground.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Just-Breathe

[QUOTE="Just-Breathe"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

That is why I go back and fourth between whether or not I want to cancel. I look at the big picture though, I spend $30 or so for cable internet, $50/year for xbox live, $25 for netflix, and then the phone bill of course. It adds up.

I don't use it as much as most people, which is why i'm considering ending netflix. Before it was like, "okay, $10/month is nothing. Even if I only watch 3 movies a month it is still worth it, but now?" Hmmm. I think they are running themselves into the ground.

I think it depends on how much you use it really. If you are watching barely 25 bucks worth of content a month maybe its time you cancelled it.
The_saint1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_saint1976
Member since 2003 • 258 Posts

[QUOTE="The_saint1976"]

Dracula68

Why is that? I will always rent since I am not made of money and able to buy every new game or even every games at least half off.

With the online pass starting to hit full stride, most used online games have half the game locked unless you pay that 10 dollars for the pass. Just bought R3 can't take over buddies house and play online on his PS3, because the game is tied to my account. Never had this issue before and it will only get worse.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

What I'm wondering is why Netflix feels the need to have a game rental-by-mail service. They know better than anyone that physical media is going to die out soon, why waste time on a service that won't last more than a few years?

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dracula68

And I bet you have to wait forever if its a new game that is popular. I see the words "Long Wait" in all your futures.Lostboy1224
Nah, I treat...errr make that use to treat(before they raised the fee and I cancelled the shipped movie)Netflix just like I do GameFly and ONLY put unreleased movies in my queue. I always got a new movie like I always get new game on GameFly. I only would do 1 game plan and 1 movie out at a time plan though. Yes, I'm cheap, what can I tell ya:P

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts

[QUOTE="Lostboy1224"]And I bet you have to wait forever if its a new game that is popular. I see the words "Long Wait" in all your futures.Dracula68

Nah, I treat...errr make that use to treat(before they raised the fee and I cancelled the shipped movie)Netflix just like I do GameFly and ONLY put unreleased movies in my queue. I always got a new movie like I always get new game on GameFly. I only would do 1 game plan and 1 movie out at a time plan though. Yes, I'm cheap, what can I tell ya:P

If it works out to be cheaper great, if not meh.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#36 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

As much as I love gamefly, they just weren't worth it. The games took 2-3 days to arrive (opposed to netflix where I could get them the very next day if lucky), and at $15 a month for one game out, it was a bit pricey. Qwikster (as the new non stream service is called), is the same $8, but offers me the full allowance of DVD's too plus faster shipping out, and if they can have the same amount of inventory then I'm sold (Gamefly often doesnt have newer games for weeks due to high demand).

Sorry gamefly, I loved you guys, but this is a much quicker, more featured service.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Depends on how much cheaper it is to combine my streaming and game rentals when compared to Gamefly's subscription. Gamefly's shipping only takes two days and Netflix takes me 4-7 days for the movies.