single player games vs multiplayer online games question

jrez7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By jrez7

Poll single player games vs multiplayer online games question (13 votes)

single player story games 77%
multiplayer games 31%

So me and my friend have been having this argument for months. I like story based single player games and he likes online multiplayer games. He said that he doesn't play single player games anymore because once you beat the story there is nothing left to do in the game. He said that in online player games it gives you a reason to keep playing because they constantly update the game.

He used The Division as an example. In that game after you beat the game then you go online with people and the game continues. He said games like God of War and Uncharted are not being talked about at the moment but online games like Destiny, Division, Rainbow six are still being talked about because alot of people are still buying them

I don't agree with this because I still love my single player game but I just need something that supports my argument. I know he's right that online multiplayer games do sell more than single player games. We both have PS4. I told him exclusives is what seperate the systems. He says that more people buy PS4 cause its the more popular system in general

• 
RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#1 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

Tend to enjoy both Single Player and Multiplayer, those that do not. Well is a preference.

And the argument of once beaten for SP only holds for games focus being the telling of a story with no focus on core gamplay/ modes, (challenges/ post-game content)

To this day however players that solely want that heavy emphasis on story over gameplay is lost on me. Quite a lot actually, and that's no disrespect to those that want that experience. When I think of my favorite SP games, they have value to be replayed, because the gameplay is enticing.

As so, noticed games that focused on 'story' as the sole form of praise have not been looked back at fondly after the zeitgeist period. Bioware games are good examples of this. I get the impression Dragon Age would have made a better Netflix series or novel set.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#2 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

It's worth noting that most multiplayer games become replaced by some new version every couple of years, and they're often dependent on network play.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

SP all the way for me they don't make MP games that I enjoy anymore in the gaming industry.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts

Online multiplayer games typically don't respect your time.

They are filled with fluff to keep you engaged, but reward you with very little.

I prefer to play a variety of games and I don't want one that will be a huge time sync with little payoff.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts
@Ovirew said:

It's worth noting that most multiplayer games become replaced by some new version every couple of years, and they're often dependent on network play.

Depends what you play dood.

Stating a game gets replaced is typically the same for Single Player when one thinks of a large group of Gamers being unwilling to go back to older graphics and gameplay functions.

I know a few that refuse to consider the retro CastleVanias, simply because "they're old". While Lords of Shadow (streamlined garbage) has em' HD graphics and won a lot of people over simply for being 'new'.

Online I slightly agree. But many of the best online multiplayer games still have connected servers. Look at Quake Live, Dark Souls, World of Warcraft, and Team Fortress 2. One cannot rely on a online feature to remain open without community servers. But quite a few are still going, well past a decade as well.

Then factor Multiplayer is not just online (Fighting games, split screen local, Beat em' Ups, etc)

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Single Player games are much more immersive. I find that I cannot relax and play at my own pace with multiplayer.

Lebowski1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lebowski1
Member since 2005 • 91 Posts

XCOM does both, focussing on Single Player campaign of a unique kind of depth and complexity with almost infinite replayability, but the online pvp is not bad AT ALL. Unfortunately you need the same DLC loadout as your partner, but now that it is on the PSNow service I can stream the zero DLC version exclusively for mp. I love online 2d brawlers, specifically Streets of Rage 2 (megadrive/genesis collection) and Final Fight (capcom beatemup bundle, but more impressively the remastered, ggpo Double Impact edition on the PSNow service/PS3). However, by far the most emotionally affecting experience Ive had was my time with Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (via the cinematic mode of my PSVR headset). It's a tough call: as the question stands, id have to edge it to online, but if u include story based offline AND replayable stuff such as xcom (the procedurally generated Enter the Gungeon also comes to mind), then i would vote offline.

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zuon
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

Your friend probably enjoys online multiplayer more for the intense, fast placed gameplay with the benefit of socializing through voice chat. Recent games' addition of perks, skills, experience, etc serve as ways to keep the player invested as a distraction from doing the same things over and over in 30 minute intervals.

Gamers like me, prefer either single player or LOCAL multiplayer. Every time I try to play a multiplayer game online for the first time Payday: The Heist, for example), I inform everyone that I'm new. But as soon as I do, some idiot jumps on mic chat to angrily berate me, blaming me for actions of other (silent) players, not believing the other players when they side with me, and quitting the match after everyone else votes against kicking me from the server.

Or other times, such as in Rainbow six siege, when I play as a character with an action that benefits other team mates (dropping shields/ammo packs etc), my team mates get impatient when I can't figure out why clicking my middle mouse, no matter how long I hold it, doesn't just drop the thing like it should. The animation cancels around 20 times before I actually leave the item for my team members.

None of this happens when playing around the couch with friends.

In terms of single player however, if your friend believes the only thing Single Player has to offer are linear, cinematic experiences like Uncharted and Dad of Boi, those are not the single player games I'm into.

When I think single player games with great amounts of replayability, I think of A Hat in Time, Hitman: Blood Money/2016/2, Dishonored 1/2, Over the Hedge (yes, I'm serious), Lego Star Wars 1/2, Lego Island Xtreme Stunts, Serious Sam, Max Payne, Burnout 3/Revenge/Paradise, Ratchet and Clank - Going Commando, Dead or Alive 2/3/5/6, Soul Calibur 1/2/3/6, and my all time favorite RPG, Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines. As aged as that last one is, nothing in my mind has ever surpasses the amount of immersion that game gives me.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

This is where Halo wins. Great story, great mp. I do like a decent co-op mp like cod zombies but player bases die to quickly every year or the players absolutely suck.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#10 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Single player for me most of the time.