Should RPGs have stayed 2D?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEnd54321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEnd54321
Member since 2010 • 62 Posts
Well what do you guys think?

Were RPGs better when they were 2D?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19574 Posts
I don't think so, no. As much as I loved the old-school 2D isometric RPGs, 3D RPGs do everything they do just as well, with the added bonus of being able to see really amazing landscapes and towns in great detail. Also, some games really take advantage of the 3D-ness - so you end up with games like Morrowind, where hidden items and caves tend to be hidden in high places that you wouldn't normally look (like in the ceilings of caves), or any of the sandbox RPGs that allow you to climb over mountains to visit new areas, etc.
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

Yes and no. Its nice to see more; but on the other hand, in 2D, you can still look at a mountain and tell that its a mountain without having ever pixel filled in.

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

there is still room for very good RPGs in 2D on the pathetic hand held game systems .....

seriously some 2D RPGs would be better than most of the junk they make for PSP and DS n so on

DeViLzzz

Yeah, I hate it when they try to do 3d and fail miserably. I like decent sprites more than crap 3d.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

I don't care if it's 2D or 3D as long as it's done well.

ANlMOSITY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ANlMOSITY
Member since 2010 • 701 Posts

Nope. I don't think so.

ANlMOSITY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ANlMOSITY
Member since 2010 • 701 Posts

I don't care if it's 2D or 3D as long as it's done well.

LovePotionNo9

Gae_Bolg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gae_Bolg
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Some RPGs have been better served by being full 3D. It's short-sighted to say they needed to stay 2D. Stinks of nostalgia, too.
Nooberman2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nooberman2k
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts
Funnily enough, I was thinking about this very topic this morning whilst playing Dragon Age (which I finally picked up yesterday). It got me thinking about how much I loved the old Baldur's Gate series. I could easily see Dragon Age working just as well (in fact better with respect to party management) in 2D as in 3D.
teufelherz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 teufelherz
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts

Some yes. Some like Demon's Souls, no!

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I don't think so. I don't see any benifit at all with being 2D. RPG's pretty much play the same either way, exept in 2D, random battles are more common, and it's not as pretty.

I'm fine with either one though, as long as it's fun and tells a good story, I'll love it. I just prefer it if it's also pretty, and voiced. And Iprefer lack of random battles.

acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 acsam12304
Member since 2005 • 3387 Posts

for me it depends. 3D RPS are good like Mass Effect and Dragon Age. but if your talking about RPGs from Japan yeah it depends. i know back in the PS2 there was al ot of 3D RPS for me seem to be horriable that it gave me headackes.

BUT like Kingdom Hearts they made a good 3D RPG.

lets say this for some games 2D is the way to go. Xeno Gears is one good 2D RPG ill never get bored of playing

TheEnd54321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheEnd54321

Well I feel like WRPGs are fine as 3D but I think JRPGs were better off as 2D.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

What I want to know is: for those of you who prefer the 2D games, what's better about them? I understand some 3D RPGs may have bad graphics and you may prefer the sprites, but do you dislike ALL 3D RPG graphics? Some of my favorite graphics in games are JRPG's actually. Like Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata.

I don't mean to sound rude, you prefer 2D, and that's fine. But I am just curious, what do 2D games have that 3D doesn't? And I know I'm the one who brought up random battles, but there are plenty of 3D games that have those too if that's what you prefer.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

I like 2D games because of the ease of travel. Ispecially if the view is looking down on the character (s) head. You can see what is coming and where to go. With the 3D, there are hidden entrances that are very hard to find because in some games you have to look right at the entrance before moving on is possible.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

2D rpg's do have their benefits. they are cheaper and easier to polish, so developers would have more time and money to create different scenerios. also, the fixed top down perspective allows for some different art styles (finely crafted hand drawn ones, for instance) or to play with the perspective in a more controlled way.

still 3D really is the best route for most rpg's. you can more naturally depict animations that build character. 3D makes for more believable worlds simply because it is more similar to our own and how we experience things. its also more compatable with the more realistic art directions that permeate video games in general nowadays.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

just getting sick of thehollow shall of hero in many WRPG.

face_ripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 face_ripper
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts

2D RPGs were good, but it was time to move on.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Hell no I can't stand 2d.

seanehawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 seanehawk
Member since 2008 • 96 Posts

I'm a diehard fan of JRPG's, and I really don't see much of a difference between 2D and 3D ones. I really don't care as long as they're good.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

2D or 3D we need to get away from the easy game play that anyone can learn if a little time. I want more complex gameplay since with more complex gameplay the more thing we can do.

Faerun23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Faerun23
Member since 2007 • 34 Posts

xWoW_Rougex

Your Avatar seems to tell otherwise.

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

2D or 3D we need to get away from the easy game play that anyone can learn if a little time. I want more complex gameplay since with more complex gameplay the more thing we can do.

wiouds

Yeah, cause it's not like Rpgs are story based or anything.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Morrowind is my answer. 3D is great.
Archendrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Archendrus
Member since 2010 • 306 Posts

I don't think they should've stayed 2D. 3D is some good stuff. I do love the old 2D artstyle though and with the better tech we have today, developers can do some really cool things with old school 2D. I definitely don't want to see 2D RPG's die out soooooooo can I have both please? =D

jsh020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jsh020
Member since 2010 • 1168 Posts

games like FFX XIII

star ocean 3

grandia

dragon quest

and many other rpgs prove the arguement that 2d games are better is DEAD wrong

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xWoW_Rougex

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

Faerun23

No.

Or what exactly are we talking about?

Examples of what I like: Disgaea, Crisis Core, Baldur's Gate
Examples of what I don't like (which I assumed was 2d): FF1-6, Zelda a link to the past etc etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b45f1f9decd0
deactivated-5b45f1f9decd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b45f1f9decd0
Member since 2006 • 1443 Posts

*Looks at a copy of Dragon Age*

No.

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

[QUOTE="Faerun23"]

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

xWoW_Rougex

No.

Examples of what I don't like (which I assumed was 2d): FF1-6, Zelda a link to the past etc etc.

I consider disgaea 2d. It has sprites and is topdown gameplay.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xWoW_Rougex

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

[QUOTE="Faerun23"]

Loegi

No.

I consider disgaea 2d. It has sprites and is topdown gameplay.

Yeah but the environment is in 3d. I mean you can rotate the camera and all that right?

Anyway I guess it would be better if I said that I can't stand these older 2d games.

blaqphantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 blaqphantom
Member since 2010 • 1829 Posts
as much as i loved the point and click adventures of the 90's 3d has given rpgs a new perspective and so many possibilities that its way better now.
TheEnd54321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheEnd54321

What I want to know is: for those of you who prefer the 2D games, what's better about them?lazyathew

Well my problem is 3D rpgs have way too many cutscenes. 2D rpgs got the formula right IMO. Enough story just to keep you intrested, but still heavy focus on gameplay too. What I play RPGs for is Stat Modification, going through dungeouns, collecting items, etc etc. 3D rpgs have that but you have to sit through cutscene after cutscene after cutscene before you can get to that. Notice how 3D rpgs are like 50-80 hours while 2D rpgs are only like 20-30. Mostly cutscenes. If I wanted all those cutscenes I would watch a movie.

FastEddie2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FastEddie2121
Member since 2009 • 3081 Posts
Heavens no!
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

TSNAKE617

Yeah, cause it's not like Rpgs are story based or anything.

yeah, cause it's not like RPGs have any semblance of gameplay

Archendrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Archendrus

[QUOTE="lazyathew"]

What I want to know is: for those of you who prefer the 2D games, what's better about them?TheEnd54321

Well my problem is 3D rpgs have way too many cutscenes. 2D rpgs got the formula right IMO. Enough story just to keep you intrested, but still heavy focus on gameplay too. What I play RPGs for is Stat Modification, going through dungeouns, collecting items, etc etc. 3D rpgs have that but you have to sit through cutscene after cutscene after cutscene before you can get to that. Notice how 3D rpgs are like 50-80 hours while 2D rpgs are only like 20-30. Mostly cutscenes. If I wanted all those cutscenes I would watch a movie.

That's true, to a point. 2D games had lots of cutscenes too, but more often that not they used the ingame graphics and the same static overhead camera angle that you see when playing the actual game. So it didn't feel like you were being taken out of the game to watch a cutscene as much as a 3D cinematic cutscene does. First time I really noticed this was in Xenosaga ep1. There were TONS of cutscenes in that game, and there was a very clear distinction between gameplay graphics and cutscene graphics. Whereas the old school RPGs had a smoother transistion. Same screen, same camera angle, you just didn't have control over your characters.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

Well what do you guys think?

Were RPGs better when they were 2D?

TheEnd54321

No, Outside of maybe 5 rpg's in 2d most of them weren't that good imo.

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

[QUOTE="TheEnd54321"]

[QUOTE="lazyathew"]

What I want to know is: for those of you who prefer the 2D games, what's better about them?Archendrus

That's true, to a point. 2D games had lots of cutscenes too, but more often that not they used the ingame graphics and the same static overhead camera angle that you see when playing the actual game. So it didn't feel like you were being taken out of the game to watch a cutscene as much as a 3D cinematic cutscene does. First time I really noticed this was in Xenosaga ep1. There were TONS of cutscenes in that game, and there was a very clear distinction between gameplay graphics and cutscene graphics. Whereas the old school RPGs had a smoother transistion. Same screen, same camera angle, you just didn't have control over your characters.

True, and I can understand why that could be a problem. But what if a game was in 3D and used the in game engine for the cutscenes in a similar way the 2d games did? Like the Tales series for example? Games don't need to stay in 2D in order to do that. Other than aesthetic or nostalgia value, I really don't see any benefit from staying in 2D. Like lazyathew, I think Tales of Vesperia isone oftheprettiest games I've ever played. Making it 2D would only have taken that away. It's also harder to dodge monsters when you don't feel like fighting them in 2D.

Archendrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Archendrus

[QUOTE="Archendrus"]

[QUOTE="TheEnd54321"]

Tropictrain

True, and I can understand why that could be a problem. But what if a game was in 3D and used the in game engine for the cutscenes in a similar way the 2d games did? Like the Tales series for example? Games don't need to stay in 2D in order to do that. Other than aesthetic or nostalgia value, I really don't see any benefit from staying in 2D. Like lazyathew, I think Tales of Vesperia isone oftheprettiest games I've ever played. Making it 2D would only have taken that away. It's also harder to dodge monsters when you don't feel like fighting them in 2D.

I'll buy that, technology is up to the point where the transistion from gameplay to cutscene and back can be done almost seamlessly. I guess I'm just remembering that awkward period where it was so blatent. I'm not necessarily condemning 3D and glorifying 2D. I like my RPG's either way.I think 2D is still a viable art design choice. I'd like to see the 2D style stick around, alongside the 3D style, in perfect harmony XD

tokidokii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tokidokii
Member since 2010 • 144 Posts

I prefer 3D over 2D anyday but really if the gameplay is good, I'm playing it.