Should Nintendo Relaunch the Wii U as "The New NES"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NAZAR3NE_LORD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By NAZAR3NE_LORD

Poll Should Nintendo Relaunch the Wii U as "The New NES"? (18 votes)

Yes 17%
No 83%

Bursting with "The Nintendo Look and Feel"!

I think that Nintendo really should rename the Wii U to "The New NES" ( to go along with the New 3DS ) and mandate 1080p60 for all First Party Content. Nintendo could relaunch the system in 2015/16 with new packaging for every First Party Title ever released for the Wii U. They should make sure that it can run The New Legend of Zelda @1080p60, increasing the systems power just enough to easily do that and push updates to all existing software to increase their performance to the new standard. That's all the power it needs. Everything should still run on the Wii U as well, in fact Nintendo should keep building all their games around the limitations of the Wii U since Nintendo games on the system already look fantastic ( this is about PQ and Performance ) and just scale them up to then be native 1080p60 on The New NES..

Nintendo Network should have Roaming Accounts. When I get home with my New NES I should be able to seamlessly download my NNID and all of my digital content without having to transfer anything from my original Wii U. I should also be able to simply plug in my hard drive that I was using with my WiiU and start playing immediately if i want to. Adding Cloud Saves is a HUGE part of this first step.

Add a system wide Achievement system PLEASE : ) and update previous games with achievements. 50 or 100 per game with no score, just show the players total ie; if games have 50 achievements ( stickers ) and i have all of them in a single game and also have 20 games than i have 50/1000. Maybe Stickers could work as dashboard themes like XO!

The key is a big marketing push embracing The New NES as something uniquely Nintendo, something that goes perfectly alongside a PC, PS4 or XO Due to it's superb library of exclusive content. Personally, after having had a 360 for like 8 years, i'd like to build a PC next. I think that Nintendo should also continue investing in projects like Bayonetta exclusively for The New NES. I'm really interested in Tomonobu Itagaki's new game.

Something else that is "Super" Important, don't use a gloss finish on anything anymore, it's the worst. I absolutely love the "Look and Feel" ( <---marketing slogan "The Nintendo Look and Feel" ) of the New 3DS's all Matt finish. The material on the back of the Game Pad is GREAT but the front of it is an ugly dirt magnet. And that same bad finish being on the entire Wii U itself is just terrible. Please stop : (

The GamePad just needs a few tweeks like a more advanced screen with a higher resolution, the former taking priority of course since the display looks just fine. And support for four or more GamePads for innovative games like Four Swords.

Lots of people seem to think that Nintendo needs to become a derivative of something that there are already THREE of in the market but i think that Nintendo needs to embrace Nintendo.

I could go on but I'll stop for now : )

Thoughts?

• 
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Nope... They should just keep making games and encouraging everybody else to make games for them.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts
@Lulu_Lulu said:

Nope... They should just keep making games and encouraging everybody else to make games for them.

Damnit Lulu, stop stealing what I'm about to say.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

No. No more New shit. Stop it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

What they ought to do is work with some great filmmakers and animators and get their name out in the public eye again, front and center. A well done Legend of Zelda film along would do wonders for their image.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JyePhye
Member since 2004 • 6173 Posts

No, but they definitely shouldn't call it Wii U anymore either.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#6 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@JyePhye said:

No, but they definitely shouldn't call it Wii U anymore either.

Actually should have been Wii 2.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Not with the Wii U, I dont think re-branded it will make much difference, however they should drop the Wii name for next console when ever that may be.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I wouldn't mind if they made a new console and simply called it "Nintendo Entertainment System" like the original, as a way of doing a throwback (it's too old to be a confusing name in my opinion). But I dislike your suggestion.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

How is the NES any more uniquely Nintendo than the Wii U?

Also, what would achievements add? Their games typically have in-game unlockables fpr achieving things, which is a better system, and they don't exactly need a gimmick like achievements to sell their first party titles.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@EPICCOMMANDER

:) Great Minds think Alike.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#11 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Everyone always says (incorrectly) that Nintendo relies too much on its past. Naming a console like that wouldn't really help anyone.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Nintendo should focus on it's 9th generation console. Getting back to basics and eventually release it as the NEW Nintendo Entertainment System. NNES in 2018. As for the Wii U Nintendo should just solider on with what they have. Maybe start work on games that use 2 gamepads. Maybe new IPS can be created with using 2 Gamepads at once. At this point Nintendo should be able to make the gamepad cheaper to make.

A 2 gamepad Wii U console could be offered for $229.99 with no pack in game. Much like when Nintendo offered the Nintendo 64 Atomic Pak which was a regular Nintendo 64 console with 2 controllers 1 regular grey and 1 Atomic purple clear controller and no Pack in game. (This was my first Nintendo 64 console)

So a Wii U Atomic Pak set could be offered with a 32GB Black Wii U and Gamepad along with an Atomic purple clear Gamepad and no pack in game.

But a New NES should be for the 9th Generation of videogames in 2017/2018. Plus the Wii U has just now gotten it's first 10 out 10 rated game. Nintendo has proven it can survive the lean years. So while the Wii U will not win the 8th Generation. Or even outsell the Nintendo Gamecube. Nintendo will survive. Hopefully focus on it's 7th home console the New NES. But the Wii U should be re launched when a Wii U mini is ready.

The Gameboy, Gameboy advance, DS, NES, SNES, and Wii had slim line revisions released so maybe the Wii U will also have a slim version.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#13 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

They should have just called it Nintendo U

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

No I think the Wii U situation is what it is as it's already 2 years into it's lifecycle now. They may as well just ride out the next 2 to 3 years supporting it as best they can.