Should I give up on Gaming.

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Revolutionary91
Revolutionary91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Revolutionary91
Member since 2009 • 42 Posts

Okay. I love video games. I am a boy going into middle school. So... you get it. I have a Wii, DS, and a PSP.

But heres the catch.

I can't get any FPS. Why? Guns. My parents HATE guns. No blood games. Why. My parents HATE bloody games.

Guess what. I could even get Final Fantasy Dissida today because of the Partial Nuditiy in the game. I got the game AND THE GUIDE. THE GUIDE!!!

And when my mom saw the picture on one of the girls she flipped. We went back to the store and returned it. And got Lego Batman. As luck would have it. Lego Batman was... you guessed it. Broken. Since it was used.

So basically I can't get any good games.

What I am trying to ask is...

Should I give up on gaming?

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
There are tons of great games that are not bloody and do not have guns. Play them.
Revolutionary91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Revolutionary91

But I want to play those kind of games. (The one I was talking about in the first post.) I want to play/own an FPS.

Electr1c-Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Electr1c-Shot
Member since 2007 • 345 Posts

Can't choose your parents, but your gonna have to find a way or ask them how to show your mature enough to play/own bloody games. My way was well they gave up and said its my life, if I want violence I already see it on TV whats a few video games gonna do.

ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2292 Posts
Well, since Ive been a gamer for over 20 years I am biased. So don't give up on ye olde games. And remember, the day will come when you can make your own decisions :)
Oakfront

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Oakfront
Member since 2007 • 2788 Posts

No man, don't give up gaming, there's still plenty out there.
Just curious, how old are you?

flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts
My parents weren't as strict as that when I was in middle school when it came to games but all you can do is prove to them that they aren't as bad as they seem by showing them videos of the game in action. That's all I can think of.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Well if you're just going into middle school that means you're what, 11? 12? Most of the games you are referring to are rated M, meaning they are not designed for children (and yes, you are still a child, believe it or not). It sounds to me like your parents actually have some respect for the ESRB ratings; this is unlike most of the idiot parents who seem to claim they had no idea what kind of content was in the games when their kids start imitating what they see in it (they must be illiterate because the ratings are clearly spelled out on the box). Maybe you can negotiate with your parents on playing T rated games since you're almost 13, but don't push your luck and expect them to let you play M-rated games any time soon.
Spoiledgenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#9 Spoiledgenius
Member since 2009 • 622 Posts

Buddy don't give up on gaming.I think you'r age is enough to play FPS.Your parents should understand that it doesn't harm and let you play.My bro. is juts 10 years old he play bloody games along with me.

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

Your stuck with their rules for awhile, especially if the're paying for your games.Get a job, move out, play whatever you damn well please. :D

Or, be creative and find a different solution to your problem. A FPS without people or blood perhaps? So you wouldn't actually be hurting people whilst shooting at things. :p

Moppy64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 Moppy64
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts

Okay. I love video games. I am a boy going into middle school. So... you get it. I have a Wii, DS, and a PSP.

But heres the catch.

I can't get any FPS. Why? Guns. My parents HATE guns. No blood games. Why. My parents HATE bloody games.

Guess what. I could even get Final Fantasy Dissida today because of the Partial Nuditiy in the game. I got the game AND THE GUIDE. THE GUIDE!!!

And when my mom saw the picture on one of the girls she flipped. We went back to the store and returned it. And got Lego Batman. As luck would have it. Lego Batman was... you guessed it. Broken. Since it was used.

Revolutionary91
Heck no! Try showing them a vid of a few 'tame' FPS..... like on DS, Metroid Prime: Hunters is an FPS with no blood... My mum don't like them either, so I showed her vids of a few. Next day got Far Cry for PC. Nice...
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Just sneak your games, I donno.

My mom couldn't keep my brother and I from getting our hands on shooters, and such, but she saw that we never actually changed our attitudes, or anything. She just eventually realized that games aren't a problem.

When I first started going online she was interested in that. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't talking to anyone in some chat room or something, so she'd always walk in my room to see what I was actually doing. Always just playing CS or TFC, so she'd go back to what she was doing.

Avatar image for Videogamefan123
Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Videogamefan123
Member since 2007 • 941 Posts

No, you should not, if you want a shooter that has no blood what so ever, look into games like Contra 4 on the DS and vertical shooters

Hockeystud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Hockeystud92
Member since 2009 • 156 Posts

just play sport games which are alot of fun but that does suck

GamerJess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GamerJess
Member since 2009 • 797 Posts
I think it would be pretty stupid to give up on gaming altogether just because your parents won't allow you to own a fps game... There are way more video games out there than fps, and I'm sure you would enjoy them just as equally :|
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
There are plenty of awesome games that you can still play. You just have to look. For example, can't play Dissida? Well, then play Powerstone Collection instead, or Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Can't play FPSs, well, than try the Metroid Prime games or and show your parents the rating and that it's not guns you're using but plasma beams. These are examples. But you have to listen to your parents, man. It's just the way it is.
ViewtifulScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ViewtifulScott
Member since 2005 • 878 Posts

But you have to listen to your parents, man. It's just the way it is.ASK_Story

Not really. Some parents are frequently wrong, and it's healthy for them to have their ignorance and baseless assumptions highlighted every now and then. Especially in this day and age, with the average parent being more and more a massive tool and an absolute failure, such as my own father. Never listened to him, was much better off for it. Dad was/is a cheap ass, a hypocorite, a neo con, and a radical bible thumper. When I was thirteen and mature games were really just coming into the spotlight on Genesis and SNES, he tried to convince me that these games were evil, and by playing them I was allowing demons to posess me. He's a lunatic, he was wrong and ignorant, and frankly, even at thirteen, I felt like my intelligence was being insulted.I say as long as you know the difference between reality and gaming, you're ok playing most games that aren't too extreme with their content at that age.

Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#18 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts
Parents that stop you from gaming? I honestly wish I had them but then, I love my Dad the way he is. The only thing you can do is simply buy games that meet their expectations. You're still young after all. I've seen friends of mine who get pissed at their parents for caring, as much as I want to talk about how much their parents care, I'm sure they know it but aren't in the mood to appreciate it. When you grow older pal, patience is a virtue
ShortTall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ShortTall
Member since 2007 • 667 Posts

Go buy a 'T' ratedshooting game for new so you can't return it.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Yes.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

But heres the catch.

Revolutionary91

I don't know. Are there any fun games that your parents will let you play?

I mean, if you aren't getting any fun out of the games that your parents will let you play, then why keep playing games? Yeah...if they aren't fun, then quit.

But I'm sure there are some pretty good E-rated games out there. They may not interest you personally, but I suppose it's worth checking them out.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Also, how do your parents feel about WWII shooters? Would they find the game more acceptable if you are killing Nazis?

Try to get a better sense of exactly what it is that they don't like. Do they dislike the blood period, or do they dislike you killing people?

If it's the whole killing people thing, then maybe you can get around that. Like, in Doom you only kill demons and zombies. Isn't killing demons and zombies GOOD? Maybe your parents will let you play games in which you only kill demons.

MADKLOWN8480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MADKLOWN8480
Member since 2009 • 231 Posts
so they don't let you play violent games, yet they let you post and be a member of a websites forums where you can be exposed to things much worse than violence. i think your parents need to sort out their worrries.
jJaAmMeEsS2184

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jJaAmMeEsS2184
Member since 2009 • 894 Posts

Tell them you want to play war FPS like CoD..for the learning aspect..how do you tell a child they can't learn...:D

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#25 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts

Well just play by the rules for now 'til you're 17, then they can't control what games you buy. :) There's tons of games out there that you could play and probably enjoy, one doesn't need guns, blood and guts to enjoy a game. What about all those awesome old-school Mario and Zelda games? Gun-free, blood-free and some of the best games to exist!

nicknees93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 nicknees93
Member since 2005 • 3250 Posts
No, eventually you're parents will let you buy those types of games. Your, I'm assuming, only 11-12 years old. I wasn't allowed M rated games until I was about 15. Just keep playing what games you're allowed until your parents lighten up.
mhh91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mhh91
Member since 2007 • 446 Posts
yes,gaming is a total waste of time,if you got addicted to it
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#28 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Sorry to break it to you, but you're a minor and under your parents jurisdiction. That sucks I know, but they havethe final word asto what's in your best interest until you're 18. Either find a way to play the games you want behind their backs and risk the consequences, try to prove to them you can handle such mature material, or wait it out. There's not much else you can do.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ASK_Story
No, eventually you're parents will let you buy those types of games. Your, I'm assuming, only 11-12 years old. I wasn't allowed M rated games until I was about 15. Just keep playing what games you're allowed until your parents lighten up.nicknees93
Yeah, 11-12 is too young to play certain M rated games.
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

You can't really give up something if you're not sure you want to give it up. The only way you can really stop something is if you kind of don't see the point of doing it anymore, and can forget about (Unless it's something you NEED to quit like smoking).

Don't quit gaming all together, just play less. This entire summer, I've been doing so much stuff, that I have like 25 hours of video games racked up. I don't know really how to explain it, but I hope you understood what I was trying to say.

Sweet_Genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Sweet_Genocide
Member since 2009 • 777 Posts

Rebel. Overthrow your mom. Or you can always run away from home.

But seriously, sucks dude.

PCFr3ak89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PCFr3ak89
Member since 2009 • 193 Posts
I think there are plenty games that would keep you more than satisfied. I remember being that age and yes, at one point it did suck. Wanting GTA and Manhunt...etc. Funny thing is now that I'm older I can play those games, but I can easily enjoy anything nintendo has to offer. Never give up on something you love. My .2....
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ASK_Story
^^ Good answer! More examples, if you love Japanese RPGs, they're mostly T ratings and they're fun to play. The Final Fantasy games, Dragon Quest series, Suikoden, and the DS RPGs can keep me busy enough to be satisfied. I can live off of these and not touch a M-rated or Call of Duty game! You just have find these games. Like a lot of us mentioned, there are good ones out there, and I'm not talking about things like Lego Batman or Kung Fu Panda. Games like Lock's Quest, Little King's Story, New Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, etc. All great stuff!
znator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 znator
Member since 2006 • 550 Posts
Some parents are a little overprotective, they think the games are going to make you into psychopaths on killing sprees, all I can say is try to work it out with them, try to let them know their are way worst stuff just flipping channels on a TV, and try to get them to lessen up on what's purchased, if that doesn't work get friends whose parents don't care and pay half for a system with this friend and share it, and then any of these games you buy keep them at your friends, so that when your over there you can actually play them, the almighty loophole. :P
Grallis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 Grallis
Member since 2006 • 675 Posts

Well its quite normal at your age to want to do something you havent dont or have something you dont. Its part of growing up, but unfortunately, your parents are there to make sure you mainly do the right things. You should be happy your parents care and feel lucky, though I wouldnt blame you for not since youre so young. I know you wont want to hear this but, as stated before, there are plenty of great games that you could play that dont have the things your parents dont like in games. I play a lot of strategy games on pc and a lot fo sports games on consoles. I also love puzzle games(which Id firmly recommend for someone your age).

Many games also have parental settings, as in turn off blood, limit violence, no curse words, no nudity and the list goes on. Perhaps that's a good option for you to argue if you wish to go that route? Research your games on the net(or however you can) and find out if they have parental restrictions on them, and exactly what content the parental restrictions limit, then perhaps approach your parents in a mature fashion with a good presentation and knowledge on the game.

Thats the best explanation and advice I can give to you. Take care :)

S3XYT1M3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 S3XYT1M3
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

If your a little kid it takes alot of shmoozing on your parents to play M games i went through that stage with my parents i buttered them up and they said yes

Anthony01355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Anthony01355
Member since 2006 • 1486 Posts

That sucks for you man. My parents let me play whatever I wanted and would fall asleep through the "This game has blood and boobs, do you still want to get it?" speech from retailers.

I would 1. play them at your friends house, 2. beg your parents until they're so annoyed they cave, or 3. give up on video games until later.

salxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 salxis
Member since 2009 • 4280 Posts
That's the annoying part about Wii games, either you go all the way (No more Hero, Mad World, House fo the Dead) or you are stuck with T rated games, where are the in betweens! ( Not sure about NDS/PSP since I don't own them) But yeah, try out Metroid Prime trilogy, I am sure shooting aliens are not considered "violent" and another way is to ask your parents to watch you play for a while and maybe they will accept it.
optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 optiow
Member since 2008 • 28284 Posts
You should not give up on gaming. My mum hates blood games and killing games as well, but I argued with her saying that I should be allowed to have them.
Avatar image for LithuanianGamer
LithuanianGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LithuanianGamer
Member since 2009 • 2997 Posts
I`ve been playing M rated games since I was 6. How old are you ?
ASRCSR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 ASRCSR
Member since 2008 • 2793 Posts

just play sport games which are alot of fun but that does suck

Hockeystud92

Sports games for any system he has suck. I am sorry but they do.

akmex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 akmex
Member since 2009 • 419 Posts

never give up on gaming. play sports games, racing games, action/adventure game... just make sure its clean. dude im 30 years old. I'm responsible;with 2 kids and i still love to game.

Avatar image for LithuanianGamer
LithuanianGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LithuanianGamer
Member since 2009 • 2997 Posts
Times like these it`s good that I live not in US.Where parents look what games their children play.My parents watched when I played games like CoD and GTA and didn`t said a thing that there violent or anything.They just always say don`t waste your time playing games.I don`t know will they ever change there opinion about gaming.How sad :(.
brumley53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 brumley53
Member since 2007 • 287 Posts

But heres the catch.

Revolutionary91

HAHA i was playing doom when i was three. Seriously though only buy games when your with your dad cause he will probably care less.

sonnyminchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sonnyminchin
Member since 2007 • 49 Posts

Yes

nikola96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nikola96
Member since 2008 • 836 Posts

There are plenty of awesome games that you can still play. You just have to look. For example, can't play Dissida? Well, then play Powerstone Collection instead, or Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Can't play FPSs, well, than try the Metroid Prime games or and show your parents the rating and that it's not guns you're using but plasma beams. These are examples. But you have to listen to your parents, man. It's just the way it is.ASK_Story

yeah

MADKLOWN8480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MADKLOWN8480
Member since 2009 • 231 Posts
[QUOTE="Rockstarbabu"]golf is my favourtire game . i just love to play it and you know guys the Callaway X range of irons represent state of the art golfing technology, when it comes to choosing the best golf club you would be hard pressed to find a better product. and yaa its really good believe me The X-series Irons by Callaway Golf have been favored by pro golfers all over the world because of the technology built into each iron. Many of the best players in the world prefer these clubs because of the performance enhancing design of each club.you should also try it guys . --------------------- Rockstarbabu ------------------------------------------ seo--seo

Damn Spammers in this thread.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
You should feel lucky that your parents care about you. There are plenty of E and T rated game out there that are perfectly fun games. Your best bet is to just listen to your parents or, better yet, sit down and discuss with them why you think you should be able to play the games you want. You need to show your parents that these games won't affect you negatively. That means not crying about it when they tell you that you can't have a certain game.
Revolutionary91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Revolutionary91

Oh and my parents hate killing.