Should I get the MGS: Essential Collection?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Colts_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Colts_Rock
Member since 2007 • 338 Posts
I was wondering if I should get the Metal Gear Solid:Essential Collection. I don't own any MGS's and i'm planning on getting MGS 4: Guns of the Patriots. So is it an amazing deal for that? ($30)
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
I would pick it up if you haven't played MGS before. Then, when you get MGS4, the stories from the three games should still be fresh in your mind.
Colts_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Colts_Rock
Member since 2007 • 338 Posts
wait, so it includes the original metal gear solid for the ps, and which mgs2? and which mgs3?
mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 mohmaaytah
Member since 2003 • 2397 Posts
It is MGS3 Subsistence without the bonus content, so you get the new camera mode.
Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Hulabaloza
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts

Prepare to be disappointed.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#6 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
$30 is a great deal for 3 high caliber games. and if you plan on playing mgs4, you would want to either play mgs1/2/3 or read a very detailed plot synopsis on gamefaqs. id recommend the games.
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts

Hulabaloza
For what? $30 bucks for 3 stellar games? I am not sure how that is a disappointment; I mean considering that I bought all 3 for $50 a pop!
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts
[QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]

ice_radon

For what? $30 bucks for 3 stellar games? I am not sure how that is a disappointment; I mean considering that I bought all 3 for $50 a pop!

To play devil's advocate here, MGS 1 doesn't hold up as well as people like to believe. It is still fun, sure, but it definitly isn't as mind-blowing as it was back in the 90s. Almost none of those stealth games hold up with the exception of Thief.

Lucky for you if you have a Gamecube, The Twin Snakes was an awesome remake. It is basically the same game but with all the enhancments from MGS2. Purists will tell you how terrible it is, but that's mostly because anything different automatically equals worse for them.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44415 Posts

I don't know I'm kind of half and half on it myself. For starters there seems to be problems with MGS running on some systems where when it asks you to switch discs the second one won't boot up and it says you need to put in the correct disc. I'm running this on my PS2 and both the disc and my system are fine. I've read that others have this same problem and I think some PS3 owners also have the same problem.

The MGS2 one is great though because it is the Substance version and has all the cool extras.

The MGS3 one is good on one hand because it is the Subsistence version but disappointing on the other because it lacks the second disc that had all the very cool and hilarious outtakes as well as the first two Metal Gear games.

It is a cool bundle because it covers the whole of the MGS storyline so if thats all you care about then you'll be fine with it but it could have really been a true essential collection had it contained the VR Missions fromg MGS and the very cool bonus disc from MGS3: Subsistence.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#10 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33351 Posts
Yeah, you might as well if you don't own any MGS games. I also plan to give the series more of a chance and I think I'll look into this. I've only ever played MGS 3:Subsistance.