Should I buy the new Doom?

ludry3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Should I buy the new Doom? (25 votes)

Yes 92%
No 0%

The game got my attention, it looks great! So, I wanted to know from people who already played the game if it is worth it or not.

• 
iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#1 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

If you like having shooting lots of demons and having fun, heck yeah.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

Yup! It is a back-to-basics shooter; so much fun to just run, jump, and shoot!

Just enough story to keep you motivated, glory kills are fun (I don't find they break up the action too much, and they add a bit of strategy), interesting and fun customization, and more.

Just pure unpretentious fun.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

If you like FPS for its single player and coop, without an in-your-face story?

Yes.

However, if you wanted a cinematic story and competitive multiplayer?

No.

Velius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Velius
Member since 2016 • 66 Posts

Doom is outstanding. It's catching a lot of flack because of SJW's so the reviews dig at it, but the gameplay is rock solid. The graphics are unbelievable even on consoles and they took a huge glug from the Metroid well in terms of maps and items. Hell of a lot better than most of the shit out there right now.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5  Edited By Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

As my forum mates mentioned up here, hell yeah go for it!

todays gaming judging is all about crap, graphics, story, gameplay, how much the game is realistic, how much the game is innovating, we all forgot the most important thing about a game! it should be fun! and in the fun aspect DOOM shines!

the best realese for 2016 until now for me.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

Try the demo on Steam and decide yourself.

heljar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 heljar
Member since 2016 • 176 Posts

So it's a good singleplayer then? Maybe I'll get it. I don't play to many FPS these days, mostly because they focus on MultiPlayer. But I loved the original.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Doom single player was a lot of fun. Hope they produce more levels or start working on a sequel soon.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@gmak2442 said:

Try the demo on Steam and decide yourself.

Indeed. It's an outstanding game... and I've just played the demo at bare minimum graphics with 50% resolution scaling (to say it looks like crap is an understatement... but I CAN play it).

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@velius said:

Doom is outstanding. It's catching a lot of flack because of SJW's so the reviews dig at it, but the gameplay is rock solid. The graphics are unbelievable even on consoles and they took a huge glug from the Metroid well in terms of maps and items. Hell of a lot better than most of the shit out there right now.

Um, what do SJW's have to do with Doom? I haven't heard anyone criticize it for its depiction (or lack thereof) of social issues. I have a hard time seeing how "social justice" would even come into play since there's barely a story and the whole game is just shooting demons. What, were reviewers complaining about how it's unfair that the misunderstood demons were being portrayed as the bad guys or something?

Seriously, can you point me towards a few reviews where the game was unfairly panned because of SJW politics?

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

it captures the old school doom gameplay in a modern shell. It's very well done, as long as you appreciate that it's not trying to redefine the genre, it's not trying to be strategic, it's just...Doom, the way you remember the genre before cover systems and regenerating health bars. Violence is your cover and death is your medkit. It's very fast paced and becomes quite intense in the later stages. Level design is top notch and is also a bit of throwback to an era where levels were not just linear corridors.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#13 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

DOOM is very beautiful, fast and a cool new take on the DOOM "story". There even small hidden area of classic level.

They modded many old school ennemies and changed the used of th chainsaw into a more strategic weapon. The map editor is very cool

One of the thing I liked the most is the map layout, remind me of Metroid Prime.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#14 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@MrGeezer said:
@velius said:

Um, what do SJW's have to do with Doom? I haven't heard anyone criticize it for its depiction (or lack thereof) of social issues. I have a hard time seeing how "social justice" would even come into play since there's barely a story and the whole game is just shooting demons. What, were reviewers complaining about how it's unfair that the misunderstood demons were being portrayed as the bad guys or something?

Seriously, can you point me towards a few reviews where the game was unfairly panned because of SJW politics?

Nothing. nothing at all. But some people complain more about SJWs than SJWs complain about social justice. I swear

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Nothing. nothing at all. But some people complain more about SJWs than SJWs complain about social justice. I swear

After a quick google search, the closest thing I could find was a few people complaining about the game being too violent. But those weren't even reviewers, and people complaining about violence in video games (namely Doom games) is certainly nothing new and not something I'd say is a "SJW" thing.

Hell, parents were complaining about Doom back in the 90's, and before that it was violent music and before that it was violent comic books. But it's not like that was a "social justice" thing. A hell of a lot of parents complaining about violent games and music and comics had no issue being hostile towards other cultures, religions, sexual orientations, etc. They just thought that violent entertainment was vile trash. Are we now gonna categorize EVERY instance of BS moral outrage as an example of SJW's ruining everything? And more to the point, even if some SJW's complained about the game being too violent, I haven't seen ANY indication that such complaints factored into reviews. People have been complaining about violent games since violent games were a thing. And for the most part, reviewers would always disregard such a tiny vocal minority of whiners because it would be stupid to put off your entire customer base just because a few people who never would have bought the game anyway throw a fit. People have ALWAYS been complaining about Doom being too violent, and reviewers generally reviewed the games positively. Such a backlash seems even LESS likely to influence reviews now considering that gaming has expanded beyond being just "kid's stuff" (thereby lessening the need for a moral outrage) and that I've literally only seen two people complaining about the violence (Anita Sarkeesian and some other dude). If reviewers were unfairly panning New Doom because of some SJW outrage, then I'm gonna need to see some evidence that there actually WAS an SJW outrage and that such an outrage was extensive enough for reviewers to pan the game (which would have to be some BIG backlash, because Doom games have ALWAYS been getting targeted for their violent content).

Anyway, even back in the 90's I always thought that the Doom outrage was really weird. I mean, so what if it's violent? They're ****ing monsters. I don't recall anyone batting an eye when Gremlins was released, and depicted such gory scenes as a Gremlin getting exploded in a microwave oven or a Gremlin slowly being melted into a pile of goo while still alive. Hell, before that there was Raiders of the Lost Ark, in which we see HUMANS screaming in agony as their faces melt off of their skulls. Doom always had 2 things going for it: the monsters were demons from hell, and they always died fast rather than getting slowly tortured. So I never understood what pissed people off about Doom in the first place. Is there supposed to be something wrong with killing demons from hell?That's about the LEAST controversial enemy one could choose. Even choosing Nazis as the enemy, at least they're PEOPLE with feelings and stuff. And at least Doom guy never actually TORTURED anyone/anything, which is a lot more than I can say about a lot of other games that have gotten a pass. Wolfenstein: the New Order has the hero torturing a helpless man to death with a chainsaw. I recall seeing a God of War cutscene where the hero walks up to a helpless man who is begging for his life and then slowly pulls the guy's head off. That's FAR more sick than anything that ever happened in a Doom game, so I'm a bit confused as to exactly why Doom became such an easy target in the first place. Chainsawing a demon that's actively trying to kill you is actually quite tame compared to a lot of the shit I've seen in video games.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xantufrog  Moderator

@MrGeezer: amen

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

If you're a fan of old school twitch shooters then you'll like the new Doom. I would have loved it 20 years ago but those kind of games bore me now so I passed on it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xantufrog  Moderator

oh, just to second the recommendation of others - just download the demo and try for yourself. See if you like it. It's the beauty of demos. I loved the demo and would absolutely buy if it I wasn't out of money and drowning in a backlog right now. I will pick this up at some point

TomTheHobbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TomTheHobbit
Member since 2016 • 6 Posts

Definitely, it looks amazing! I wish I could buy it, but i'll have to save a bit longer!

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

Yes, you should. I've posted my thoughts in this article, if you're interested. Enjoy. :-)

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

@velius said:

Doom is outstanding. It's catching a lot of flack because of SJW's...

What? Why? Lol, cause the Doom marine isn't a woman?

Avatar image for deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
deactivated-58183aaaa31d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
Member since 2015 • 2238 Posts

It is a good game. It doesn't infect my thoughts or make me excited to get home and play it though. In fact I stopped playing it almost entirely when Witcher 3 Blood and Wine came out and I literally couldn't care less.

It is good at what it does but if you are on the fence already perhaps wait for a decent sale. At least that will take the sting out of the cost if you find you don't get into it as much as some people.