This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I like shmups but there are quite a few on the Virtual Console I never played. I'll list the ones I'm interested in and would like to hear what some think of them.

Blazing Lazers

Gates of Thunder

Gley Lancer

Ironclad

Life Force

Lords of Thunder

MUSHA

R-Type III (I've played other games in the series but they vary in quality, I like R Type Delta, and Final, but R Types and Super R Type wasn't very good)

There were a few more but they had quite bad average ratings as I scanned the ratings. I plan to buy a few of these now and may try them all at some point. If there's anything I'm missing feel free to mention it as well(I've played all the Gradius games).

MrSaturn33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 MrSaturn33
Member since 2007 • 568 Posts

A lot of the reviewers here don't understand old games like this. Case and point: Super Star Soldier. The review was fair but for whatever reason it got a 6.2/10. I would give it at LEAST an 8.5/10. I only have two VC shmups, that and MUSHA.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I'm not sure exactly what has all been released on VC and what hasn't. But I do know for sure that Lords of Thunder for TurboGrafx-16 was released for VC and is a fantastic shoot-em up game complete with a rock-guitar soundtrack and great 2D graphics. Check it out.

And from your list I've played MUSHA on Genesis, which is good but I think a bit overated. I've also played Blazing Lazers on TurboGrafx-16 and that's an awesome game.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Eikichi-Onizuka

I'm not sure exactly what has all been released on VC and what hasn't. But I do know for sure that Lords of Thunder for TurboGrafx-16 was released for VC and is a fantastic shoot-em up game complete with a rock-guitar soundtrack and great 2D graphics. Check it out.

And from your list I've played MUSHA on Genesis, which is good but I think a bit overated. I've also played Blazing Lazers on TurboGrafx-16 and that's an awesome game.

Emerald_Warrior
Lords of Thunder stood out as being one of the more interesting looking ones. Pretty sure I'll get that one.
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Eikichi-Onizuka

A lot of the reviewers here don't understand old games like this. Case and point: Super Star Soldier. The review was fair but for whatever reason it got a 6.2/10. I would give it at LEAST an 8.5/10. I only have two VC shmups, that and MUSHA.

MrSaturn33
I have played Super Star Soldier. I don't think I'd quite go 8.5 but it is better than 6.2. I was going by average user ratings to pick my list for the moment.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="MrSaturn33"]

Eikichi-Onizuka

I have played Super Star Soldier. I don't think I'd quite go 8.5 but it is better than 6.2. I was going by average user ratings to pick my list for the moment.

My issue with Super Star Soldier is that it's excruciatingly hard. And I played the frick out of the original Star Soldier on NES, so I should have at least a little skill on the sequel. I've played the hell out of Super Star Soldier (with experience from the original) and I can't beat the 3rd level!

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#7 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

Great list. I would definitely go with this:

Life Force (NES)

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
My first pick out of those would definitely be MUSHA and then probably Ironclad. You should check out Gradius 3 if you enjoy horizontal scrollers.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i used to love life force when i was young..

i bought it the other day but still have to play it.. definitely recommended.

its a bit hard to beat but you might do it.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Eikichi-Onizuka
Blazing Lazers Ironcald Lords of Thunder MUSHA Those are the four I picked for now. Early impressions from playing each a bit are that they are all very good. So far Lords of Thunder is my favorite of them but I haven't played them a whole lot yet.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"]Blazing Lazers Ironcald Lords of Thunder MUSHA Those are the four I picked for now. Early impressions from playing each a bit are that they are all very good. So far Lords of Thunder is my favorite of them but I haven't played them a whole lot yet.

MUSHA is freaking awesome!
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mau-Justice

Blazing Lazers Ironcald Lords of Thunder MUSHA Those are the four I picked for now. Early impressions from playing each a bit are that they are all very good. So far Lords of Thunder is my favorite of them but I haven't played them a whole lot yet.Eikichi-Onizuka

Great choices. Gotta love these VC ports, those 4 games would cost you a fortune if you bought them off of ebay. Not to mention good luck EVER finding a cart of Ironclad.

I hope one day we see a Space Megaforce VC release.

michaelarran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 michaelarran
Member since 2005 • 88 Posts

I've never been particularly good at these games, but years back I got hooked on Xenon 2 on the Atari ST. It was fun, without being bullet hell. Do any of the VC games have a similar vertical scrolling vibe?

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mau-Justice

I've never been particularly good at these games, but years back I got hooked on Xenon 2 on the Atari ST. It was fun, without being bullet hell. Do any of the VC games have a similar vertical scrolling vibe?

michaelarran

As far as vertical scrollers go, MUSHA is my favorite from the legacy consoles.

Blazing Lazers is great too, but I'd start with MUSHA. Both of these have a faster pace than Xenon, but they are definitely manageable.