Sega Genesis problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

So, I recently started collecting Sega Genesis games, I sold my old collection when I was a kid and I've been slowly trying to build a new one.

Anyway, today I got my 4th game, TMNT: Hyperstone Heist and it happens to be my first two player game for the Sega Genesis.

So I boot it up in two player mode and the strangest thing happens: the second player is constantly walking to the right, even when no one touches the controller.

We've tried switching the controllers, unplugging them but the second player just keeps walking to the right.

anyone knows what's wrong?

thecrypticodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2 thecrypticodor
Member since 2012 • 240 Posts

Sounds like pin 4 is grounded out. Check to see if any of the pins in the controller port are bent are in contact with one another. If not that it also could be a bridged solder joint on the board.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rilpas
none of the pins are bent as for the second sugestion... I'm afraid that goes beyond my skills :P
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The player 2 controller port make need to be replaced. This is easy to do but you have to get another sega controller port. Which is the same a many old computers and the Atari 2600 and the Sega master system. You could get a broken genesis and get that part. Good luck

thecrypticodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thecrypticodor

Is right always being pressed even without the controller plugged in?

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rilpas

thecrypticodor
yep. I guess the controller port would have to be replaced/fixed but I have absolutely zero skills for that sort of thing
thecrypticodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thecrypticodor

[QUOTE="thecrypticodor"]

rilpas

yep. I guess the controller port would have to be replaced/fixed but I have absolutely zero skills for that sort of thing

No as long as all the pins are there there's nothing wrong with the port. Whats happening is the 4th pin is constantly being grounded where it's soldered onto the board either by the 8th pin or by the RF shielding.

Basically how the controller buttons work is by connecting a specific line with the ground when it's pressed. If the line is constantly grounded it's like your holding the button down.

What you can do is open the console and look where the port is soldered onto the underside of the board and check if any of the points are bridged (connected one to another by a bit of solder) If that's not the problem then it's the aluminum RF shielding inside the case coming into contact 4th pin.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rilpas
I'll see what I can do :\
Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

you could just buy another genesis right? if i remember correctly they're not really that expensive.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rilpas

you could just buy another genesis right? if i remember correctly they're not really that expensive.

littlestreakier
yeah they're pretty cheap, but still, a penny saved being a penny earned and all that jazz
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#11 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="thecrypticodor"]

thecrypticodor

No as long as all the pins are there there's nothing wrong with the port. Whats happening is the 4th pin is constantly being grounded where it's soldered onto the board either by the 8th pin or by the RF shielding.

Basically how the controller buttons work is by connecting a specific line with the ground when it's pressed. If the line is constantly grounded it's like your holding the button down.

What you can do is open the console and look where the port is soldered onto the underside of the board and check if any of the points are bridged (connected one to another by a bit of solder) If that's not the problem then it's the aluminum RF shielding inside the case coming into contact 4th pin.

I have never looked into a Genesis specifically (well, I have modded a Nomad) but I would actually guess it's the latter (pin coming into case w/ RF shilding). To fix this, you could probably just put some duct tape or just a little bit of cardboard in between the sheilding and the board. Might actually be able to diagnose this w/o opening the case by plugging a controller in the port and using the plug to pull the port/board up away from the sheilding and if it stops running to the right. Same sort of thing happens w/ headphone jacks and all other kind of ports on all kinds of devices... Gotta be careful though because you can end up hosing up the pins doing this.

Also, to the OP, this isn't something isolated to only one game, right? Have you tried a different game?

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rilpas

[QUOTE="thecrypticodor"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"] yep. I guess the controller port would have to be replaced/fixed but I have absolutely zero skills for that sort of thinglogicalfrank

I have never looked into a Genesis specifically (well, I have modded a Nomad) but I would actually guess it's the latter (pin coming into case w/ RF shilding). To fix this, you could probably just put some duct tape or just a little bit of cardboard in between the sheilding and the board. Might actually be able to diagnose this w/o opening the case by plugging a controller in the port and using the plug to pull the port/board up away from the sheilding and if it stops running to the right. Same sort of thing happens w/ headphone jacks and all other kind of ports on all kinds of devices... Gotta be careful though because you can end up hosing up the pins doing this.

Also, to the OP, this isn't something isolated to only one game, right? Have you tried a different game?

TMNT is the only two player game I have, so I haven't been able to test it yet

as for your sugestion, it sounds like something simple, I could probably try that