Scratch on the label side of a PS2 disc question ...?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jaypakavelya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jaypakavelya
Member since 2007 • 270 Posts

Hi there!

I have a question about a game I just bought very cheap , the game is Dark cloud 2 for ps2 , the game is rare where I live and I was very happy to find it for 5$ !

but I noticed something when I was cleaning the disc , there is a scratch about 2mm by 2mm and the scratch is on the label side , and I was always told that a scratch on the label side could ruin the disc because the label is close to where the data is written on the disc. I say scratch but it looks more like if the paint on the disc was chipped on that part when I look at the disc in front of a bright lamp I can see the light coming through that hole , it was a formal rental disc ...

I inserted the disc in my ps2 and let it run for a couples minutes to test it and everything seems to work fine...

but I was wondering , later in the game when the laser of the lens hits that part of the disc , will it work ? will it skip or freeze ... ? I know I will have to play it to know the truth

do the laser need the label to reflect the beam to read the information on the disc ? or it doesn't work like that ?...

because I was looking at a gamecube disc and the label on those discs don't cover all the disc , there is some parts that we can see through the disc

so at least the gamecube disc doesnt need the label for the disc to work ... or am I wrong ??

I am trying to learn as much as I can about Discs reading and scratch so I know what to buy and what not to buy when I hunt for used games

I would like your opinions on this matter , and please no " if it works why worry" I am not worried at all , just curious to learn more about discs fonctionnality

waiting for your opinions !

2uo3vxg.jpg

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Here you go:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dvd2.htm

The fact that you can see light through it is probably not good, however, the final test will have to be your play-through as the damage may not affect the encoded part of the disc (not all surface area of a disc is always used, you might get lucky and that damage was to an unused/unencoded part of the disc)... Good luck!

:)

tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
since its a ps2 cd, ie 700mbs a disc, it may mess up youre game. dvd games usually only take up about half the space of a dvd so a scratcu towards the end would be fine. dark cloud on the other hand probably takes up the whole cd. only thing you can really do is sharpie the scratch(don't make it worse though).
jaypakavelya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jaypakavelya

here's the location of the tiny scratch

34ybktv.jpg

Thanks for the useful informations , it helps alot , I didn't know that the disc didn't use the whole area of the disc !

jaypakavelya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jaypakavelya

I just checked and Dark cloud 2 size is 4232.2 MB , according to a ISO on the net

so maybe I will be lucky enough so the the data stops before the scratch !:)

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonkeySpot

I just checked and Dark cloud 2 size is 4232.2 MB , according to a ISO on the net

jaypakavelya

That's what I'm sayin', anyway.

I do indeed wish you a lot of luck and hope it all plays without hiccups.

jaypakavelya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jaypakavelya

[QUOTE="jaypakavelya"]

MonkeySpot

That's what I'm sayin', anyway.

I do indeed wish you a lot of luck and hope it all plays without hiccups.

I hope too ! thanks !

loosing 5$ is not a big deal , having to find another copy that's another story !

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#8 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

There are many utilities to compare either CDs or DVDs to either another disc or an .iso file which you could use to check your disk. You could use one of these to verify your disk is in good shape before you start so you don't get stuck in the middle of the game.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonkeySpot

I hope too ! thanks !

loosing 5$ is not a big deal , having to find another copy that's another story !

jaypakavelya

I think I've read posts you have put up in the past about wanting to find a copy of that game, so I'm pullin' for ya... I know how frustrating it can be to find those rare-bird titles (without bending over on eBay or the like).

Hey, look at it this way: You now have an excuse to sit and play the game to excess, forsaking food, showers, and friends until you get through it. It's a SCIENCE EXPERIMENT! Very important RESEARCH!!! "Do Not Disturb"!!!

:D

Please keep us updated on your progress... This is like a good television show; I've GOTTA know what happens next!!! Will our hero win out? Tune in next post!

:lol:

jaypakavelya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jaypakavelya

[QUOTE="jaypakavelya"]

I hope too ! thanks !

MonkeySpot

I think I've read posts you have put up in the past about wanting to find a copy of that game, so I'm pullin' for ya... I know how frustrating it can be to find those rare-bird titles (without bending over on eBay or the like).

Hey, look at it this way: You now have an excuse to sit and play the game to excess, forsaking food, showers, and friends until you get through it. It's a SCIENCE EXPERIMENT! Very important RESEARCH!!! "Do Not Disturb"!!!

Please keep us updated on your progress... This is like a good television show; I've GOTTA know what happens next!!! Will our hero win out? Tune in next post!

:lol:

thanks MonkeySpot !!! I will inform you as soon I play the game now I have to finish Dragon Quest 8 :)
tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
Oh my bad, for some reason i thought you were talking about dark cloud 1. yeah it should be playable, worst case scenario is it freezes during a cutscene.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MonkeySpot

I have to finish Dragon Quest 8 :) jaypakavelya

Another great RPG... Can't go wrong with DQ, I like them better than Final Fantasy.

jaypakavelya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jaypakavelya

[QUOTE="jaypakavelya"]I have to finish Dragon Quest 8 :) MonkeySpot

Another great RPG... Can't go wrong with DQ, I like them better than Final Fantasy.

yeah I love the DQ series too , I am at level 27 (overleveled) 20hours of gameplay and going to Pickham village !

jaypakavelya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jaypakavelya

I just used a software to check CD , named CDCheck which I found free on the internet

I did a scan to test my Dark Cloud 2 disc and there was no errors !! HOPE !!:D

6dx0si.jpg

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MonkeySpot

Buh-Buh-Buh-BOOOOOO-YAHHHHHHH!!!

Congrats!

jaypakavelya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jaypakavelya

yeah but I don't think its a 100% reliable test , I will have to play it in my ps2 to have a real answer

but it still give me a good idea !!