Rumor: Hard Drive Wii?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Has this been posted yet? It seems that the guys at CVG heard through the grapevine that Nintendo plans to unveil new hardware at this year E3, new hardware that would include a hard drive for the Wii.

Unfortunately, the site doesn't provide any link for the rumors, but it mentions the fact that NeoGeo titles are scheduled for release in the future, and given the size of some of those titles, the built-in 512 MB flash memory might become insufficient by the time those games hit the (virtual) street.

What do you guys think? Is this feasible? Would a HD adversely affect Nintendo's mass market pricing approach? Would this lead to the big N also offering two SKUs?

kvn7918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kvn7918
Member since 2005 • 1544 Posts

Has this been posted yet? It seems that the guys at CVG heard through the grapevine that Nintendo plans to unveil new hardware at this year E3, new hardware that would include a hard drive for the Wii.

Unfortunately, the site doesn't provide any link for the rumors, but it mentions the fact that NeoGeo titles are scheduled for release in the future, and given the size of some of those titles, the built-in 512 MB flash memory might become insufficient by the time those games hit the (virtual) street.

What do you guys think? Is this feasible? Would a HD adversely affect Nintendo's mass market pricing approach? Would this lead to the big N also offering two SKUs?

SteelAttack
I think the new hardware is just a harddrive not a new sku.I don't think it would affect the mass market appeal they have,once they don't price the harddrive like microsoft does(and i don't think nintendo is that stupid) they should be ok.
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts
I think the Wii should have included an HDD in the original design as then it would have been possible for Wii games to use it.  As an add-on it could only provide more storage for virtual console games.  But i suppose it's better than nothing provided it's not a rip-off.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts
Hmm interesting. I hope it's true because I think that would be pretty sweet. They might sell it both seperately and as a bundle with a Wii. Since I haven't picked up a Wii yet I wouldn't mind if they also had it as a bundle especially if I could save a bit of cash from getting a Wii and an HDD seperately. Either way I just hope it's priced cheaper then the overpriced 360 HDDs.
Avatar image for The_Pig_Hostage
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Pig_Hostage
Member since 2007 • 3702 Posts
As long as they make it optional (ie just for bigger VC games, or - please!!! - for demos) I don't see don't see how it would hurt their mass appeal. It sure would be cool if it enabled us to see Sega Saturn and Dreamcast on the VC.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts

What's the point, when you can just use an SD card?

I still have a ton of room on the Wii's memory, I haven't even needed an SD card yet.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I can see them upping the internal memory, but I doubt they'd introduce a hard drive. You can buy 1GB SD cards for ten bucks now, and 512MB is pretty slim if you download a lot of titles. Of course, given how well the Wii is selling anyway they might as well just pass the cost of additional memory on to the consumer.

SNES games peak at 4MB, N64 at 32MB, and Neo-Geo are generally around 50 or 60MB, aren't they? You'd definitely fill up the built in memory fast.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

CVG heard through the grapevine. LOL those guys just steal from everyone else. Basically it was mentioned on the IGN wiikly podcast on saturday that Nintendo had inked a deal with a memory manurfacturer (which we've known for months) then jeux france beforehand said that big hardware news was rumoured for Nintendo's E3, along with mario kart.

And Gamelabo a japanese mag said way back when that an internal nintendo meeting had approved a hard drive. Nintendo put out the whole 'just' speculation ruse as usual. Pair that together with neo geo games making thier way to wii this summer and it's everybody else saying it and CVG claiming it as some sort of insider info.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts

This would be a greater betrayel than the 360 elite.

Ah well.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
I wouldn't have an issue with this as long as it's kept for VC games and downloadbale content, and not a requirement for regular games.  If they ever decide to start putting Saturn games on the VC that extra space is going to be needed anyway.
muppet1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 muppet1010
Member since 2006 • 5812 Posts

This would be a greater betrayel than the 360 elite.

Ah well.

Foolz3h

i remeber feeling pretty pissed with nintendo when they released the DS lite.... 

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Oooh as an addon accessory id buy it for sure. Downloading all these VC games is killing that built in memory..
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#14 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

i remeber feeling pretty pissed with nintendo when they released the DS lite.... 

muppet1010

Just the opposite here.  The GBA-SP and DS Lite were such improvements on the original hardware, that I couldn't help but welcome the change.