Rewarding and Unrewarding secrets in games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I personally love games that offer secrets to find: they give you reasons to play the game some more right after you've beaten it. Some secrets are very rewarding (like the Knights of the Round materia in FFVII) but some others are a total waste of time and energy, since they don't give you anything worth the effort.

Any thought or experience about this?

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#2 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Like shooting the frogs in mgs3? ;)I gotta tell you I gave up on looking for them during the chase sequence so good luck to you with that!

Rewarding: Not submitting in mgs1. Doing tasks should make a difference this big in the way the story goes imo.

Unrewarding: FFX after defeating penance. It's stupid that you get Dark matter as much as you hit his two arms after hundered of hours of building their status and preparing them for it. This is what we get :(

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
The most rewarding one I can think of off the top of my head would be the Puff-Puff Room in Dragon Quest VIII. For over 15 years DQ players have been getting puff-puffs and a few eroticimplications aside we've never been real clear on what one is. But with the help of a Final Key and some pretty deep exploration, the secret is finally revealed.
carrotthead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 carrotthead
Member since 2004 • 1408 Posts
one of my most rewarding gaming moments was defeating yiazmat in ff12, although it ain't to big on valuable prizes...just the feeling of pride i felt when i did it was enough reward for me
Moogleman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Moogleman23
Member since 2007 • 186 Posts
Getting all of the cards in final fantasy 8 was a personal accomplishment for me. It took forever, but now I have bragging rights.
cos_vanquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 cos_vanquish
Member since 2007 • 1143 Posts

Finding secrets in games are the reward. It doesn't matter what reward you get for finding it, it should be rewarding enough just finding it. I mean sure, it is nice to get something that can really help you out in the game, because you made that extra effort and took the time to go and find something not many people find in the game or just overlook, but knowing that you found it and did take that time should be your reward.

bigmacksax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 bigmacksax
Member since 2003 • 65 Posts
I always like to get some reward for secret things. But if a secret takes ungodly amounts of effort and time like collecting all of that I have to fight an enemy that appears 1/100 times 100 times to get the item, I give up. I guess I'm a quitter.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[...] But if a secret takes ungodly amounts of effort and time like collecting all of that I have to fight an enemy that appears 1/100 times 100 times to get the item, I give up. I guess I'm a quitter.bigmacksax

:shock:

That would make 10.000 battles! I truly hope no game has ever done anything like that.