Resident Evil back in the day

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TommyBarban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TommyBarban
Member since 2012 • 653 Posts

I never got into the Resident Evil series back when I was younger, I dont know why. Recently I developed a craving for it for some reason and yesterday I bought Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis and Resident Evil - Code: Veronica for my Dreamcast.

On which system did you enjoy the series the most and at what point did the franchise go downhill for you and why?

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#2 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I actually never got into RE series at a whole. My favourite in the series is actually Darkside Chronicles on the Wii. I liked RE4, but still wouldn't consider it a favourite.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

My favorite back in the day was Resident Evil Code Veronica, but my all time favorite is probably Re4.

I loved the Resident Evil series back in the day, but when I got a PS3 this last October and bought Re2 from the store, I found the game nearly unplayable due to terrible controls and wtf camera.

RE4 marked a point for me when I couldn't go back.  Actually, a lot of games with tight, intuitive control made the old Resident Evil series unplayable for me now.  I don't think the series has gone downhill, just pumped more adrenaline into the formula.

Edit:  Whoop, I played Code Veronica originally on Dreamcast and then later on PS2, and Re4 on Gamecube.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#4 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

the series went downhill after RE4 imo , the game was a departure but still very good in its own way (in some ways superior) , it was after that the series started declining, RE5 was a good action game, but not a very good RE game (I liked it , but only because I got over  the "its not a horror game" aspect of it) , and RE6......well , jugding from the demo as well as playing the game myself (through a brother's copy of the game) for a while).....I don't know what to say tbh

as for what system I liked the series the most, it would arguably be the Dreamcast, since I have 3 RE games for it, RE2 , 3  and CV  , although I do like the others too , like RE1 on the Saturn or PS1 , or RE2 on the N64.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

I liked the PS1 games of RE1,2,3. I have the fondest memories of "Resident Evil 3: Nemesis", i had more fun playing through that than i did either of the first two. I was late to the party on PS2 and played RE4 before RE:CV, I wasn't very impressed with Code Veronica, it was missing some elements of even RE3.

Hard to choose a favourite between RE4 and RE3. Technically RE4 is better, but in the spirit of Resident Evil, RE3 does a better job.

Haven't played any of the current gen iterations.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Resident Evil 2 was my favorite. Great storyline in that game, lots of action, lots of plot twists that keep you hooked, and it's one of the longerst games in the series. You essentially get 4 different playthrough between Leon A & B and Claire A & B. And I played it on PS1, along with RE: Director's Cut and RE3: Nemesis.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#7 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

RE2 is my favorite, and although it started slowly, the decline started after that game.

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts

The first Resident Evil game I played was Nemesis. I knew of the first two but that was the only one I bought for my PS1. It's still one of my favourite games. I want to go back and play through the first 3 in order. I had RE4 for PS2 but I didn't enjoy anywhere near as much as Nemesis. I don't like 5 and haven't played 6.

Oddly enough it was the Resident Evil films that reignited my interest in playing them again. I bought the collection on blu-ray (yes I love the films) and that got me in the mood for some old school zombie fun.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

code veronica on the dreamcast was and is by far my favorite. 4 and 5 are very good and especially 5 brings the story to a closure but they are very different.

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

I love RE (including the action ones that are bashed by people)

RE Zero is very underrated and very good

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

The first time I ever played RE was the first one back in 1997 or so at my cousins house. Being 10 at the time, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to progress past the dining room and the hallway where you encounter the first zombie. The more I think about it though, I think I actually quit playing because it scared the crap out of me :p.

But I didn't start getting really into the RE series until I played Code Veronica on the Dreamcast when it first came out. I absolutely loved this game and it opened the flood gates in terms of my interest in the series. My RE fandom hit its peak with REmake on the Gamecube, as well as RE 0. REmake is still one of the most genuinely scary, yet fun games I have ever played to this day, and is a masterpiece. 

My interest in he RE series started to wane when many of the off shoot games starting coming out, mainly RE Outbreak and RE Dead Aim (I HATE Dead Aim). However, RE4 was sort of the beginning of the end of the series imo. I did like RE4, however it just didn't feel like resident evil to me; no zombies, no tank controles. no pre rendered backgrounds, no fixed cameras, it was just something else entirely. I've only played a little of RE5 and RE6 looks like a disaster, but I'll probably play through both one of these days, but they will never touch the original RE games imo.

SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

Even though I fell in love with the series with RE 1-3 on the PS1 back in in the 90s, I think I enjoyed the series the most on the GameCube, just for the fact that REmake and RE4 blew me away and replaying RE2 and 3 on the Cube was very refreshing.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

I never got into the Resident Evil series back when I was younger, I dont know why. Recently I developed a craving for it for some reason and yesterday I bought Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis and Resident Evil - Code: Veronica for my Dreamcast.

On which system did you enjoy the series the most and at what point did the franchise go downhill for you and why?

TommyBarban

I enjoyed the REmake of Resident Evil 1, Code Veronica: X, and RE4 on the GC very much.

Along with Metroid Prime, one of the reasons I like the GC so much is that it has the full suite of relevant RE games up to 4, and that includes RE: 0

Avatar image for angryassdrummer
angryassdrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 angryassdrummer
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts
Bought re1 & 2 when they first came out Re 1 I wasn't that fond off but re 2 I loved!!!! Scared the **** out of my ex at the time who watched me play it Haven't played any re game since, probably should hunt one down
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

For me it went downhill with RE6.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#16 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I lost interest in the Resident Evil series after playing 5

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bultje112

it's such a hype to hate resident evil since re5. well re5 is one of the best, improve dupon 4 by adding incredibly good co-up mode. I haven't played 6 yet but as usually capcom gets a ton of hate and mostly undeserved.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Emerald_Warrior

it's such a hype to hate resident evil since re5. well re5 is one of the best, improve dupon 4 by adding incredibly good co-up mode. I haven't played 6 yet but as usually capcom gets a ton of hate and mostly undeserved.

bultje112

Nothing wrong with co-op itself, when it's optional. I think most fans hated the fact that it was forced co-op when all the other RE games were single-player experience.

I know I also hated the location and envirnments. It was just too freaking bright and sunny, and he environments were run-down looking war-zones, like 20 other military shooters out there. One of the best things about the Resident Evil games was the atmosphere they created. RE5 just didn't have that creepy vibe from the environments that the other RE games did.

And speaking of being different from the other RE games, it was too action oriented. There just wasn't enough horror and scary parts. And you just blew through the baddies with tons of ammo and weapons, when before it was a system of choosing the right weapon for the job and saving up ammo for when you really needed it.

The entire game just felt like Capcom was trying to please the shooter crowd, rather than the survival-horror crowd which is what the core audience of RE games are.

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Emerald_Warrior

Nothing wrong with co-op itself, when it's optional. I think most fans hated the fact that it was forced co-op when all the other RE games were single-player experience.

I know I also hated the location and envirnments. It was just too freaking bright and sunny, and he environments were run-down looking war-zones, like 20 other military shooters out there. One of the best things about the Resident Evil games was the atmosphere they created. RE5 just didn't have that creepy vibe from the environments that the other RE games did.

And speaking of being different from the other RE games, it was too action oriented. There just wasn't enough horror and scary parts. And you just blew through the baddies with tons of ammo and weapons, when before it was a system of choosing the right weapon for the job and saving up ammo for when you really needed it.

The entire game just felt like Capcom was trying to please the shooter crowd, rather than the survival-horror crowd which is what the core audience of RE games are.

All 110% true, but I will still always think that Resident Evil 5 is a very refined game and well made and, despite the complete lack of horror, steel feels like an RE game purely because of the story, I dunno if it's just me, but RE5 is a very well made game (of course that's what I think about all the RE games until RE6 which is average)

Lost in Nightmares was awesome

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Emerald_Warrior

there were also no scary and horror parts in 4, which is seen like gods gift to gaming. re isn't scary anyway. 4 was just as action oriented as 5.

redluigi11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 redluigi11
Member since 2009 • 89 Posts

ps1 the first 3 games were awesome i enjoyed RE4 and some of the spinoffs but i enjoyed the first 3 games more

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

bultje112

there were also no scary and horror parts in 4, which is seen like gods gift to gaming. re isn't scary anyway. 4 was just as action oriented as 5.

Are you kidding?! An entire town of Las Plegas pouring through windows and doorways trying to kill you didn't freak you out at all? The first time I was like "Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap!" lol

RE4 without a doubt had a better horror atmosphere than than RE5. It's mostly set at night. There are a lot of creepy locations like like abandoned farms, foggy woods, and dark castle corridors among others.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

don't forget the secret lost RE game guys.... Devil May Cry 1 on PS2

it's basically another old school RE..

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

I played RE1-3 on Ps1 since that was all I had at the time. 

The series went downhill for me after RE4. 

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i played RE 1-3 on the playstation.. series really took the nose dive with RE5