Resident Evil 2 Dreamcast regional differences?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrSaturn33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 MrSaturn33
Member since 2007 • 568 Posts

Only a hardcore fan can answer this question. Wikipedia says that the American and Japanese PSX versions differ in that the American has a different Game Over Screen and is harder. I just want to play the version that the director, Hideki Kamiya, intended to be played. (I don't care about the game being in Japanese) However, I plan to get the DREAMCAST version, not the PSX version, and was wondering how the American and Japanse Dreamcast versions before.

I wish that was all, but it's not. What about the Dreamcast PAL version?

So my question is this: What is the difference between the NTSC-U, NTSC-J, and PAL versions of Resident Evil 2 on the Sega Dreamcast?

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

I have Bio Hazard 2 for both the Playstation and Dreamcast. However, I never played the US or EU versions, so I really don't know much about the differences.

Hell, I even bought the official Japanaese non-analog controller for it. It came with a couple of tea bags.

As for the DC version. The game was released as Bio Hazard 2 : Value Plus, and it came in 3 discs, and with some extras. I don't know if these were included in the western versions or not.

I'd get the Japanese version if only for the far better packaging.

digi-demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 digi-demon
Member since 2010 • 803 Posts
@MrSaturn33 Hi, Im sure Bio-hazard 2 never got a european release for Dreamcast. I have previously owned the Japanese DC version - think it included a demo of Code Veronica. But in all honesty, regards DC RE2, I'm sure if I remember correctly was it was just a lazy PC port :(. I'd go with the PS1 version - because don't forget that it's backwards compatible with the PS3 too :D
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#4 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
[QUOTE="digi-demon"]@MrSaturn33 Hi, Im sure Bio-hazard 2 never got a european release for Dreamcast. I have previously owned the Japanese DC version - think it included a demo of Code Veronica. But in all honesty, regards DC RE2, I'm sure if I remember correctly was it was just a lazy PC port :(. I'd go with the PS1 version - because don't forget that it's backwards compatible with the PS3 too :D

RE2 did get a European release for the DC, I own it, as well as RE3 and RECV for the DC. and yes, in both cases, RE2 and RE3 are basically the PC version with a higher resolution and frame rate then in the PS/N64 versions.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Panzer_Zwei

And don't forget VGA support which equals instant win.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Darkman2007

Panzer_Zwei
that is indeed a nice option , although sadly the PAL version of RECV has no VGA support, but the US version does, not sure why really considering the PAL version came out later
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Darkman2007

the main problem with the RE games (other then RECV) on the DC, is that it does not use the system, its the same problem th Tomb Raider games have.

sure they look better then the PS1/N64 versions , but its not a big improvement considering what its running on

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Darkman2007

that is indeed a nice option , although sadly the PAL version of RECV has no VGA support, but the US version does, not sure why really considering the PAL version came out later

I never played a BIO HAZARD game in English until 5 on the Xbox 360.

Dreamcast games without VGA support were huge let downs. I can think of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure not having VGA support even though I think it had it printed on the back of the box.

the main problem with the RE games (other then RECV) on the DC, is that it does not use the system, its the same problem th Tomb Raider games have.

sure they look better then the PS1/N64 versions , but its not a big improvement considering what its running on

Darkman2007

It is no different than what CAPCOM did with the GameCube versions. At least on the DC they had VGA support.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Panzer_Zwei

I never played a BIO HAZARD game in English until 5 on the Xbox 360.

Dreamcast games without VGA support were huge let downs. I can think of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure not having VGA support even though I think it had it printed on the back of the box.

it seems to me , that the games which looked best with and made the best of VGA, were the arcade ports, perhaps since those were meant to be used with high res monitors anyways. another game that does not have VGA support is the PAL version of Skies of Arcadia, and again , the US version has it. I still can't understand why, since VGA is a default 60hz anyways, I don't see why take out the VGA support for PAL versions of some games.
tab133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tab133
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_2/Versions , pass on the ntsc-j unless your a collector. the japanese one has censored violence, and its easier. the other regions have uncensored death scenes, and in my opinion, the american resident evil 2 is pretty easy. psx was its intended platform, the dc verison has better models but seems more washed out then the others.