rainbow colors on GAME DISC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CloudDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CloudDS
Member since 2003 • 1047 Posts
something that ive noticed for a very long time now, ever since i had god of war on in 2005 (and most likely before that too), i see colorful rainbow looking waves on disc (DVD's and BD's). i just bought Uncharted brand new today and its clear, i bought MGS4 used, and it has a immense amount of rainbows. now i seen this happen in games that are brand new too, and ive seen some of my used games that dont have it at all. also during the day time, this rainbow effect dissapears completely no matter what kind of disc, UV rays from the sun. iwant to know if this normal or if this means the disc are faulty and could hamper with game quality?
Iceman8012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 Iceman8012
Member since 2004 • 827 Posts
I never saw the "rainbow" until Blu-ray discs. I've never seen them on DVDs really
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
That means the government is remotely tracking your use of those disks.
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
Wow I've never seen that before...you should probably see your doctor.
iggy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 iggy123
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I just bought me disc used and I get the rainbow colors but its almost in a bizare random pattern. Unlike CDs where it appears in straight lines, the rainbow colors occur in rather bizare patterns. Is that the same thing you were talking about?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Not the best image but heres a cross section of a CD:

CD/DVD/Blu-Ray work by having tiny miniscule engravings that correspond to a 0 or a 1. When a very fine laser hits a pit it reflects a certain way. When it hits one of the lands, it reflects another. This is how your device interprets the 1's and 0's. Its a high-tech digital "vinyl record" in a way.

Because these tiny grooves work by reflecting lasers, they also reflect other forms of light. However, the pits and grooves are so small that they can't really be seen by the human eye and reflect ambient light sources in many directions - this results in the rainbowing effect you see on discs.

Blu-ray is extra pronounced in the rainbow effect. Why? Well, how do you get a CD which is 700 MB, to a DVD which is 5 GB, to a Blu-Ray disc at 25 GB when they all take up the exact same physical space? You have a smaller laser and smaller pits and lands. The tiny, tiny pits in Blu-Ray means that theres alot more of them to reflect light. This makes the rainbow effect more pronounced.

The variations from one game to another come from differences in the aluminum, and varying thickness of the coatings. Its nothing unusual at all.

You can also read up on crazy work done with "metamaterials" that are similar in concept: http://www.pctechs.org/?p=45629. By altering the surface of a material, you can make them look and act like a different one. That article is showing the same concept. By making tiny etches in specific sizes and patterns they are making gold look pink by reflecting only the light that contains the colors making up pink.