Question for fans of The Prince of Persia: TsoT.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I just love this game. No matter how many times I play through it, it's always enjoyable and even more impressive than the first time around. I always see new details....things that needn't be there but really add to the game.

What made the first game so much better than the sequels? I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it, but after playing the trilogy back to back, neither of them comes close to the original. I mean, they use the same mechanics, the graphics are similar, etc.

So, what are some of the things that make TsoT the best in the series to you? Things that really stood out, that make you come back for more?

On a side note: I really can't wait to see the next one which will undoubtedly use the Assassin's Creed engine. Emergent gameplay, being able to choose your own route.....it's going to be amazing.

ayanami_rei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ayanami_rei
Member since 2005 • 17115 Posts
Usually, the original is creative and new. The sequels, well they would have similarities, making them sequels, nothing new, so that could be as to why that first game is better than the sequels. It's like a movie. Movie one would be made strong, appealing, wanting people to see it. The sequels, well they wouldn't be as strong because it would have a similar motion as the first movie, something to what people will watch, but nothing too vibrant.
Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts
I think it's because the two sequels to The Sands of Time lacked that wonderful charm the characters and story of the first game possessed. Especially with Warrior Within, they just took everything from the first game and tossed it out the window with what many attribute to the Prince's new "baditude." A lot of the time it seems like companies make sequels just to cash in on the success of a previous title when games usually don't really need sequels. One thing that I can liken this scenario to is when Episodes I, II, III of the Star Wars saga were created. They just didn't have the same feeling and heart that makes the originals so special to many moviegoers. I think the same thing happened with Prince of Persia. Personally, I agree that the others in the series cannot live up to what The Sands of Time established.
theamitgoyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 theamitgoyal
Member since 2007 • 173 Posts

I think I'm one of the few people who believe that the Prince of persia trilogy got better with every game.

You are right in the respect that the sequel cannot be as innovative as the original because its hard to bring back what is already on the table with the first game without drastically changing the whole gameplay mechanics.

That said, I felt that the trilogy fine tuned itself with every game. In my opinion, it did a good job in sustaining the magic of the first. Even the dark attitude of the Prince (and Godsmack) makes sense in the overall scheme of the story. And the combat of the SoT was definitely weak and tightened up by the sequel.

And the whole idea of speed kills on T2T worked beautifully by bringing together the combat and the platforming very well. They just kept getting better with each iteration.

Lets see how the next tale of the Prince goes... they definitely have the awesome Assassin's Creed engine to work with... but I hope they don't make it too similar. Might sound strange, but I would rather prefer a mostly linear (with some independence) story for the next Prince than the Sandbox of Assassin's Creed.

Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

I agree that the original has a certain charm that the sequels don't share.I think it is due to the storyline. SoT is a more straight-forward good vs. evil set up. The prince is essentially your typical fairy tale hero fighting to save his kingdom and the princess from an evil wizard. WW has more ambiguity in its story, you question whether you should be trying to kill the empress and change your fate. [which I thought made for a more compelling story, but was definitely less charming] Then there is the TT. IMO, its storyline is the weakest. The dichtomy between the Prince and the Dark Prince seemed very contrived and devolved into a big whining contest which I found very annoying. I also felt that TT lacked a fairy tale ending, so obviously, much less charming than SOT.

To tell the truth, I absolutely despised WW when I first started playing it exactly because its atmosphere was so totally opposite of SoT. Where the SoT Prince was light-hearted and charming, the WW Prince was dark, brooding, scarred and much too into Godsmack. I especially missed the little touches, like the Prince saying "no, that's not the way it happened" when you died. But WW really grew on me as I played it.

Of the 3, WW is my personal favorite due to the more compelling storyline and the better gameplay mechanics. SoT is my 2nd favorite due to its charm. And TT is my least favorite because I found the Dark Prince's whining to be very annoying and didn't think it really added anything new (I didn't find the quick kills or the chariot races all that exciting and I liked being chased by the Dahak (sp?) in WW better than racing around as the Dark prince in TT). Still, all 3 games are excellent and it would be great if they released a new one.

zepman71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 zepman71
Member since 2005 • 4120 Posts
I remember the first time I played it. I wasn't really expecting much, but it surprised the hell out of me. The gameplay, the acrobatics, the controls, the responsivness....every thing felt 'right' The enviroments were also beautiful. The only flaw I think was the combat. For some reason the developers decided to throw in as many bad guys as they could (perhaps to just make up for the lack of it during the acrobatic sections) and some parts were nigh-on infuriating (the lift part springs to mind). But I still think its an amazing game. Warrior Within just didn't appeal to me. The SoT will always be the best...
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#7 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
Unlike many of you, my first prince of persia game was ww. I was surprised by how good and thrilling it was and I quickly picked the first after playing ww. I couldn't beat ww though all thanks to the infamous gate glitch. I also have the 3rd which is practiclly the same especially if you're playing games like prince of persia *the new TR games which are carbon copies of pop games btw* you'll feel the difference and start appreciating pop games more. They're difficult yet very satisfying.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#8 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Of the 3,wW is my personal favorite due to the more compelling storyline and the better gameplay mechanics. SoT is my 2nd favorite due to its charm. And TT is my least favorite because I found the Dark Prince's whining to be very annoying and didn't think it really added anything new (I didn't find the quick kills or the chariot races all that exciting and I liked being chased by the Dahak (sp?) in WW better than racing around as the Dark prince in TT). Still, all 3 games are excellent and it would be great if they released a new one.

Solori

Loved the dahaka chases :P that was the last time my hands were full of sweat...

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

What made TsoT so much better for me was the interaction and character development between the Prince and Farah. It was paced perfectly, and really seemed to have an innocence to it. Both characters were naive and unsure at the start, and they eventually came together at the end, after their bouts of very humorous bantering. This just gave the game so much personality. It's one of a few games where I actually cared about what would end up happening to them.

Neither of the sequels really got it so perfect. The TT tried, but by that time both Farah and the Prince were veterans of the situation they were in, and lost their charm. Not entirely, but a large part. Farah also had a different voice actor and came off a bit as a spoiled child. The dark Prince was alright, but unnecessary. I really did enjoy the speed kills; they fit in well with the game's new plot. I thought WW was absolutely terrible in relation to the others. It just didn't work for me for a variety of reasons, which I won't even get into.

theamitgoyal: I misstated. I wouldn't want the next oneto be a sandbox type either, and agree it should have a set path....just one that would give you many possibilities based on the geography, etc. No more predetermined ledges and such. More edges of boulders, naturally created formations, etc.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts

What made TsoT so much better for me was the interaction and character development between the Prince and Farah. It was paced perfectly, and really seemed to have an innocence to it. Both characters were naive and unsure at the start, and they eventually came together at the end, after their bouts of very humorous bantering. This just gave the game so much personality. It's one of a few games where I actually cared about what would end up happening to them.

Neither of the sequels really got it so perfect. The TT tried, but by that time both Farah and the Prince were veterans of the situation they were in, and lost their charm. Not entirely, but a large part. Farah also had a different voice actor and came off a bit as a spoiled child. The dark Prince was alright, but unnecessary. I really did enjoy the speed kills; they fit in well with the game's new plot. I thought WW was absolutely terrible in relation to the others. It just didn't work for me for a variety of reasons, which I won't even get into.

theamitgoyal: I misstated. I wouldn't want the next oneto be a sandbox type either, and agree it should have a set path....just one that would give you many possibilities based on the geography, etc. No more predetermined ledges and such. More edges of boulders, naturally created formations, etc.

Rekunta

That pretty much sums up why I love the original. What an awesome game.