Q: How to write game reviews?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheIcyGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 TheIcyGrey
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hey all, I've recently just created a video review of the game Batman Arkham Asylum it's a bit of an old game now but it's such a great game and I thought would be an easy starting point for me to review. Before I give a link to the video I just wanted to clarify the purpose of this post. I'm hoping to continue doing video reviews of games on my YouTube Channel, but I'm also thinking of creating an accompanying blog and having written game reviews on there since the two can be very different in style and some people prefer one form over another.

So, I'm looking for people who have any experience writing reviews or are willing to give me some feedback when I start (hoping to get some tips from first hand writers before I start) or any feedback for my video reviews.

I have some experience in writing before (Doing English AS level at school for example) and I know what sort of things to include (Plot, Gameplay/Features, Graphics, Price, Cast etc) but I was wondering on how long they should be for example? How much detail should be put it? Is it good to be comical or satirical? Or whether I should just keep to the basics to start off?

Also if you guys read or write reviews can you send me a link to your own content or authors you enjoy reading/watching like Zero Punctuation?

Thanks in advance,

Jake

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

It depends. I don't have much of a persona when it comes to being on-screen, so I stick to written reviews. And when it comes to writing reviews or making videos, here's a few tips:

- when making a video review, always show footage of what you're talking about in various segments of the game, especially when describing what the gameplay is like. Using the intro cutscene for most games is usually a good idea for talking about the story, but don't show anything that might be considered spoiler material. Keep all important story bits hidden for when the player decides to actually play. Try that for your next video: record different parts of the game and edit them together as you're talking about the various bits and pieces.

- It's also best to have a script so as to avoid minor speech issues many people have. Having a natural voice is admirable, but few can pull it off without stuttering or pausing. Reading from a script avoids those problems to an extent, and practicing the script over and over usually makes it better.

- No matter how big a fan you are of a game, don't just simply ignore the bad parts of a game, as no game is perfect. If something bothers you about it, mention it. It could be a minor annoyance or a major issue with the game. This could be a gameplay mistake(s), design oversights, bad characterization, or even major plot holes in the story if the game has one. It might be a good game overall, but it's somewhat cathartic to admit when your favorite things aren't exactly perfect. When there's a bad game to be reviewed, at least try to find something good about it, because some bad games have good things about them too, unless they're absolutely irredeemable in quality (it has happened).

- For written reviews, the obvious stuff comes to mind: have good grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. But also try to write a review the way you see the game. Try to come up with a voice that's yours alone. It's easy to tell when someone is copying another's style. Granted, I'm still trying to find my voice when it comes to written reviews, but just be yourself and you'll be fine.

- And finally, watch other video reviews and read written reviews, both professional and user, as they can provide some insight as to how to make an effective review.

I hope that helped. I've written many reviews on this site before, and I hope to see one of yours someday. If you want, you can read some of mine to help you out, and read some of the pro reviews on this site and other sites such as Giant Bomb, IGN, Game Informer, Joystiq, and others.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

@theicygrey:

Hi there! I have a bachelor's degree in professional writing, and have spent the last 8 years writing game reviews. You can see some of my amateur work on my Gamespot profile. Some of it is from high school, so please forgive any mistakes.

I don't have time to watch your review right now (at work), but here is my best advice: you need to ensure your review isn't fluffy. Many writers make the mistake of thinking they need to address every pixel of every screen during the course of their review, leading to 2,000 words or more.

That's a lot of text, and you want to avoid it. So my best advice is to write about things that stand out. You want to be sure and touch on all of the basic categories (graphics, story, gameplay, music, mutliplayer), but in those categories only discuss things if they are particularly relevant. Is the music just a simple backdrop to the game as a whole? Give it one or two sentences. Is the story a toss-away, with 2-dimensional characters? Give it a paragraph with a brief synopsis.

When something stands out, be sure to describe it in further detail. Use metaphors when appropriate, and don't be afraid of comparisons to other similar games to help make your point.

Writing style and voice will develop as you spend more time writing, but in that time you can work on getting your basics down. Ensure that you use commas correctly (as I'm sure I haven't in this reply), and follow the basic rules of grammar and syntax. If you ever want me to take a look at your reviews, don't hesitate to send them along! I've always considered myself a far better editor than writer.

Small note: I can't watch your video, but my biggest tip on that is keeping your clips short. Never allow a single clip to be more than 10-20 seconds long, and try to show a diverse collection of gameplay moments. Good on ya for getting into the reviewing seen, and I look forward to seeing your work in the future!

Best,

Alvas

Edit: would like to give a major thumbs up to MasterMetals suggestion of having a script on hand. You won't realize how much you fumble and make awkward pauses/stutters without a script handy. Write it out and practice it once or twice in prep for the review

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Essian

@mastermetal777 said:

It depends. I don't have much of a persona when it comes to being on-screen, so I stick to written reviews. And when it comes to writing reviews or making videos, here's a few tips:

- when making a video review, always show footage of what you're talking about in various segments of the game, especially when describing what the gameplay is like. Using the intro cutscene for most games is usually a good idea for talking about the story, but don't show anything that might be considered spoiler material. Keep all important story bits hidden for when the player decides to actually play. Try that for your next video: record different parts of the game and edit them together as you're talking about the various bits and pieces.

- It's also best to have a script so as to avoid minor speech issues many people have. Having a natural voice is admirable, but few can pull it off without stuttering or pausing. Reading from a script avoids those problems to an extent, and practicing the script over and over usually makes it better.

- No matter how big a fan you are of a game, don't just simply ignore the bad parts of a game, as no game is perfect. If something bothers you about it, mention it. It could be a minor annoyance or a major issue with the game. This could be a gameplay mistake(s), design oversights, bad characterization, or even major plot holes in the story if the game has one. It might be a good game overall, but it's somewhat cathartic to admit when your favorite things aren't exactly perfect. When there's a bad game to be reviewed, at least try to find something good about it, because some bad games have good things about them too, unless they're absolutely irredeemable in quality (it has happened).

- For written reviews, the obvious stuff comes to mind: have good grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. But also try to write a review the way you see the game. Try to come up with a voice that's yours alone. It's easy to tell when someone is copying another's style. Granted, I'm still trying to find my voice when it comes to written reviews, but just be yourself and you'll be fine.

- And finally, watch other video reviews and read written reviews, both professional and user, as they can provide some insight as to how to make an effective review.

I hope that helped. I've written many reviews on this site before, and I hope to see one of yours someday. If you want, you can read some of mine to help you out, and read some of the pro reviews on this site and other sites such as Giant Bomb, IGN, Game Informer, Joystiq, and others.

Be careful of IGN reviews. They often feature amateur reviews from "partners" and they frequently lack polish

TheIcyGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheIcyGrey

@mastermetal777:

Thank you for the feedback and all of the great tips, can't wait to put them into action. I'll make sure to make the gameplay more relevant in the next video and to thoroughly practice the commentary beforehand. I think I may have been slightly biased towards the game and overlooked some of the negative aspects, I'll make sure to correct this in my next review. I've been reading reviews in magazines like Sci Fi Now and the Official Xbox Magazine, but I'll spend time watching more video reviews (rather than just Zero Punctuation) as well as reading amateur reviews.

Thanks again!

Jake

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Essian

@theicygrey said:

@mastermetal777:

Thank you for the feedback and all of the great tips, can't wait to put them into action. I'll make sure to make the gameplay more relevant in the next video and to thoroughly practice the commentary beforehand. I think I may have been slightly biased towards the game and overlooked some of the negative aspects, I'll make sure to correct this in my next review. I've been reading reviews in magazines like Sci Fi Now and the Official Xbox Magazine, but I'll spend time watching more video reviews (rather than just Zero Punctuation) as well as reading amateur reviews.

Thanks again!

Jake

Yeah definitely avoid basing your reviews off Zero Punctuation. People have tried, and almost all of them don't recreate the same sense of humor. Find your own voice!

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@theicygrey: Glad I could help. And hey, Batman: Arkham Asylum is still a fantastic game. The only real problems I have with it are that the detective mode is TOO necessary, the Killer Croc stage *shudders*, the somewhat boneheaded AI, and the disappointing final act. Other than that, the game is awesome.

TheIcyGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheIcyGrey

@Essian:

Thanks for the tips! It's really helpful to know how much to write, since I'd probably fall into the trap of trying to comment on everything rather than the things that stood out. I think writing style and voice is something that I'd struggle with so, like you said, I'll stick to basics and hopefully it will all fall into place with practice.

Thanks for offering to read over anything that I write in the future and I'll check out some of your reviews for inspiration.

Jake

TheIcyGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheIcyGrey

@Essian:

I'd probably fail abysmally trying to recreate him, I just find him entertaining to watch :)

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

idk how bout you idk click the review tab lulz?

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Back when Batman wasn't done to death.

Love this game.

youngthugs330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 youngthugs330
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts

i would love for xbox to make a handheld gaming like the ps vita that would be the first thing on my list to buy please xbox make a handheld gaming device like the ps vita thanks

youngthugs330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 youngthugs330
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts

can't wait for call of duty black ops 3 lets go

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

I'm not a prolific writer, but I'm an prolific reader. The most important thing IMHO is for you to be concise. One of my favorite writing quotes is by Blaise Pascal: "If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Let the scissors be your best editing tool; fit more message into less words.

Readers will appreciate this.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@youngthugs330 said:

i would love for xbox to make a handheld gaming like the ps vita that would be the first thing on my list to buy please xbox make a handheld gaming device like the ps vita thanks

This thread is over a year old. Please check the date on threads before replying. Locking.

-Byshop