PS2 Slim - God of War II not playing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shadowafs8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shadowafs8
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I bought God of War II yesterday. It's a perfect copy with barely any scratches. When I put it in my PS2 it keeps generating a "disc cannot be read" error and all I hear is clicking noise. However, when I place it in my neighbors PS2, it plays perfectly fine. I've tried other games on my PS2 such as MGS3 and Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones and it plays well on my PS2. I have the PS2 slim SCPH-7001 and I'm really frustrated with this. I tried cleaning the lens but it's still acting up. Does anybody have any idea what's going on? It really sucks since playing with GOW II, and replaying MGS3 is the only reason why I started playing my PS2 again.
jd7904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 jd7904
Member since 2004 • 101 Posts

It seems like I remember reading somewhere that a certain model of PStwo had issues with GOW II but I can't remember where I read about it. I had bought one of the first slims that came out and it wouldn't play certain movies that played fine elsewhere but wouldn't have any problems with anyhting else. I remember Road Triip wouldn't work but had no scratches. I've since bought a newer one and have had no problems since. I think the newer ones fixed some of the problems the first slims had but again I'm not sure. I guess I'm not much help. I'll try to find a link to where I read about this info:D

Emurozii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Emurozii
Member since 2010 • 269 Posts

God of War 2 only works on three of my five PS2's..and I've got two copies of it.

It could be a problem with your PS2. God of War 2 is on a DVD-9 disc, which means it has 2 layers. Most other games are DVD-5 and are easier to read. Try and find any other DVD-9 games and see if they work (list of them all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_DVD-9_games). I bet they won't work perfectly.

Over time, the laser in your PS2 goes out of alignment. This dodgy alignment makes your PS2's performance suffer on DVD-9 type games. You'll need to realign the laser of your PS2 to get it functioning properly. Here's a guide: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

Don't be scared to try this. The process is fairly simple, even for someone that's not really electronically or mechanically inclined.

shadowafs8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shadowafs8
I'm currently playing with my neighbors PS2 so all is well except I want to fix this problem. I see that the first God of War is on the list which I recall worked fine the last time I put it in, but I don't have the game anymore to try. Btw the guide is for the regular PS2, I have the slim model mentioned in the original post. Can a similar guide for my model help getting it work?
Emurozii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Emurozii

I'm currently playing with my neighbors PS2 so all is well except I want to fix this problem. I'll give the guide a go and let you all know what happens. I see that the first God of War and MGS2 is on the list which I recall worked fine the last time I put it in. I'll double check those two and respond.shadowafs8

Only MGS2: Substance is on the list and not MGS2: Sons of Liberty (just incase you got them mixed up).

shadowafs8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 shadowafs8

[QUOTE="shadowafs8"]I'm currently playing with my neighbors PS2 so all is well except I want to fix this problem. I'll give the guide a go and let you all know what happens. I see that the first God of War and MGS2 is on the list which I recall worked fine the last time I put it in. I'll double check those two and respond.Emurozii

Only MGS2: Substance is on the list and not MGS2: Sons of Liberty (just incase you got them mixed up).

Lol yes I did, I edited my original post which was too late. Anyway, do you have another guide on the slim that can help me get this working since I have no other games to try.
Emurozii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Emurozii

-Have you tried playing the game both vertically and flat? And I'm not aware of any guides specifically for the Slim PS2, but you can just follow any guide for the FAT PS2 anyway, there's very few differences. If you needed help opening up the console it self then YouTube would be your friend.

If I was in your situation, here's what I'd do:

First thing first: I would clean the laser eye with a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol. Just swab the eye a few times and allow it to dry on its own, making sure that no marks were left behind from the Q-Tip. After about 15 minutes, I'd plug the PS2 back in (make sure you don't touch the inside of the console while it's on, of course). Now to take the disc tray cover off and then press the eject button which will uncover a small, white gear wheel at the back of the console. There's a small metal tab that holds the wheel in place. Take a marker of some sort and mark the point on the wheel that meets the tab so you'll know what position the wheel was in originally. With it marked, I would move the wheel about an 1/8 of a turn. then place the disc tray cover back on top of the disc tray - hold it down with your fingers; you won't need to screw it all back in right now. With this all done, I would go and get the following: a DVD, a PS2 game with a purple back, a PS2 games with a gold/silver back (they're both the same type) and a DVD-9 game. We want these to fine turn all four of those types. Now put the disc tray cover back on top of the disc tray - don't screw it back down; just hold down the cover with your fingers as we're only testing the machine right now. Now put in a game with a purple back in the tray and press the eject button to close the tray and load the DVD (hold down the cover as mention above). Wait to see if it loads, you may have to use the browser in order to load each disk you test. If it loads, eject it and load a DVD disk, if that loads try a silver backed disk, and if that loads then try a DVD-9 disc (the order makes little difference). If all four loaded successfully, then you've done it. If not, remove the disc tray cover, eject the disc and move the wheel another 1/8 of a turn. Keep repeating the process till it works...It's all about finding the angle that will collaborate the operation of all four of those types of discs.

If it never works, then despite it being the far less common culprit, it'd then very likely be down to the laser. The slim PS2's laser problems are more commonly occuring when compared to FAT PS2's. Their beams that are produced by the lasers can become weak after a while, which results in the laser's vertical level being over adjusted to compensate. So if the above didn't help and you think it's down to the laser, then you can purchase a brand new laser from here (or you could just get a new console): http://store.richspsxparts.com/ve12s.html

While you've got the console open, you should also reseat the ribbon cables and clean out any dust. Make sure the ribbon cables don't have any contacts with the discs or the spindle as this it self is a strong cause of disc read errors. If any ribbon cables fall out (which is likely) then glue them back in or they'll keep falling out over and over they're a pain in the ass.

Feel free to PM with anything else..

shadowafs8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shadowafs8
I just finished the game and it was really awesome. I still want to be able to fix this problem in case I get bored with the 360 and the Wii to do the bonuses, so I'll see if any of this works. I have tried placing it vertical and horizontal but no good. I will try these other possible solutions when I get a chance and let you know what happens. Thanks once again, I will do this ASAP.
Emurozii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Emurozii

I just finished the game and it was really awesome. I still want to be able to fix this problem in case I get bored with the 360 and the Wii to do the bonuses, so I'll see if any of this works. I have tried placing it vertical and horizontal but no good. I will try these other possible solutions when I get a chance and let you know what happens. Thanks once again, I will do this ASAP.shadowafs8

You'll need to get a PS3 as well now if you wanna play GoW 3 :roll:

And alright, post back here letting us know how it goes.