Poll: Which is the Best Batman Arkham Game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

The final entry in the Batman Arkham games came out this week and it’s had a very mixed reception. Which got us to thinking, which is the best Batman Arkham game? Here’s a breakdown of the scores given to the main Arkham games over the years:

• Batman: Arkham Asylum | GameSpot: 9 | Metacritic: 91 | User Average: 9.1
  • Batman: Arkham City | GameSpot: 9 | Metacritic: 91 | User Average: 9
  • Batman: Arkham Origins | GameSpot: 6 | Metacritic: 74 | User Average: 7.8
  • Batman: Arkham Knight | GameSpot: 7 | Metacritic: 89 | User Average: 7.4

What say you, GameSpotters? What was the best Batman Arkham game? Vote:

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I can´t say right now which one is the best because I haven´t even played Knight ( just got it ), I´ve played like 1/3 of Origins, about 1/2 of City and about 3/4 of Asylum; so far for what I have played the one most to my liking has been City.

Xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#3 Xshinobi
Member since 2003 • 3011 Posts

I can't comment on Knight as the version I got is currently on fire but I would rank them as follows:

1. City

2. Asylum

3. Origins

I think all 3 of those games are fantastic but City stands above the rest.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

City for sure at the top. Jury's still out on Knight but I like it better than Origins for sure.

1. City (probably)

2 and 3: Asylum/Knight but not sure of the order yet.

4. Origins (worst game of the series but still a really good game).

-Byshop

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Yeah hard to say since I haven't finish AK, but I actually like Asylum more than City.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

City

It isn't even a question or debate. Asylum was a surprise, but City just set the bar so damn high.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

I'll be picking up Arkham Knight next week so I'll know where that stands later on. As of now though I think Arkham City is the best.

joe_b1_kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 joe_b1_kenobi
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts

@raugutcon: You play less of the game with each installment? Are you going to play 1/4 of arkham knight?

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@joe_b1_kenobi said:

@raugutcon: You play less of the game with each installment? Are you going to play 1/4 of arkham knight?

Not really, I´m not the kind of person that purchases a game and plays practically nothing but that game until he/she finishes it, I purchase a game and play for example, 30 min, then grab another and play for another 30 min and so on, it takes weeks for me to finish a game, the catch is that I have a lot of games and that is the reason why I´ve only played a certain percentage of each installment. My son is the opposite, he finishes a game in a couple of weeks and rushes through it.

joe_b1_kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 joe_b1_kenobi
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts

@raugutcon: I hear that. Way too many good games out there to play. I've got to try and get through arkham knight and the witcher 3 before the flood of holiday games.

JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JamesJoule
Member since 2012 • 398 Posts

minus pc bugs and the stupid batmobile's tank mode Arkham Knight is the best batman game ..

but all in all city is the best .. origin is not garage but it's devs just can't reach the level rocksteady did

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#13 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I'd vote, but I've yet to play Arkham Knight. So far though, City is the best of the bunch. That may change once I play Knight, but who knows.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Arkham Asylum.. that game blew me away when i first played the demo. i thought the story, setting, boss fights were all better

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#15 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i haven't played Knight yet because my Limited Edition is still hold up in delay. So i can only say those i played:

1. City
  2. Origins
  3. Asylum
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm still waiting for Arkham Knight in the mail right now, but of the first 3

1) Batman Arkham City (It's so far ahead of the other two in gameplay and design, it's laughable to not place this as number 1)

2) Batman Arkham Asylum (Impossible to play now that I've experiences City, but at the time this game was incredible)

3) Batman Arlham Origins (A huge downgrade in everything that mattered to me from City. Riddles were cut, Riddler collectibles were terrible, and the challenge maps weren't nearly as well designed)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#17 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Flubbbs said:

Arkham Asylum.. that game blew me away when i first played the demo. i thought the story, setting, boss fights were all better

better than anything else?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I liked Asylum the best. The open world of City was rather detrimental to the gameplay. The closed in levels of Asylum made each area feel like a puzzle.

City was great, but the level design didn't feel as good, the enemy encounters didn't feel as carefully crafted. Despite that I do feel going open world was the correct choice to make. Even if some parts weren't as good as the previous game, it was a different game rather than just some level pack which many sequels turnout to be.

Avatar image for mortalslamer879
mortalslamer879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mortalslamer879
Member since 2015 • 12 Posts

Arkham city

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10440 Posts

@toast_burner said:

I liked Asylum the best. The open world of City was rather detrimental to the gameplay. The closed in levels of Asylum made each area feel like a puzzle.

City was great, but the level design didn't feel as good, the enemy encounters didn't feel as carefully crafted. Despite that I do feel going open world was the correct choice to make. Even if some parts weren't as good as the previous game, it was a different game rather than just some level pack which many sequels turnout to be.

completely agree with that. it's not often i'll prefer a linear style over free roam but with city something just didn't quite sit right. great game but lacked the focus and intensity of asylum. i also wasn't the biggest fan of the game world.

i haven't been able to put too much time into arkham knight (around 15% in) but so far i'm absolutely loving it. if it maintains this level of quality then it will definitely leapfrog asylum to be my favourite in the series

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Batman Arkham Asylum is the best.

Its the only Batman that managed to keep me entertained and not try to be something it should not be.

City tried to hard to be open world , Origins was just city made a bit bigger and had worse art work

Batman Arkham Knight seems to run on the same principal as city, that all that matters is a open world and it's all good.

hamany2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hamany2012
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

In my opinion all of Rocksteady's arkham games are masterpieces in direction and graphical output but batman arkham origins misses the touch, WB Montreal studios copied the work without an effort putting it in a useless prequel story in the middle of the series continuation

which I found it confusing

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

City by miles and miles and miles.

It is the perfect balance of freedom/exploration, content and story. I own literally all four versions of the game (PC GOTY, PS3 GOTY, Wii U Armored Edition and 360 Limited Edition) and have got over 70% completion in three of them (which is 100% story mode, all Riddler puzzles and a good chunk of challenge rooms).

It is by far one of the greatest games ever made. Aslyum was a good start, but City is that dream in fully realized form.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#24  Edited By immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

Hard choice, I love all of them (yes even the non rocksteady one) but I guess I give the nod to arkham city. Its personal because I was diagnosed with cancer shortly before it came out and when I was feeling good that game really took my mind off it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Wow what about not practicing thread necromancy? lol

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

We can clearly see the great evolution of this series!

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

batman arkham city and arkham knight improved a lot of things in the game , but still arkham asylum is my favorite in the series.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@hamany2012 said:

In my opinion all of Rocksteady's arkham games are masterpieces in direction and graphical output but batman arkham origins misses the touch, WB Montreal studios copied the work without an effort putting it in a useless prequel story in the middle of the series continuation

which I found it confusing

Hi Hamany2012 and welcome to the forums. Thanks for the reply, but please remember to check the date on threads before replying. Anything older than a couple weeks is considered an inactive thread so I'll lock this, but feel free to post to the forums to discuss whatever gaming related topics you'd like.

-Byshop