PlayStation 2 Disk read error Solutions!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

snake01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#351 snake01
Member since 2003 • 159 Posts
Yeah, try returning the disk, tell them its faulty... Sounds like a software problem to me, Usually they'll test it and hopefully it'll do the samething. Or maybe they'll just give you a new disk. best of luck.
vinsanity4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#352 vinsanity4
Member since 2005 • 552 Posts
i just returned it for another. thanks!
chakkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#353 chakkid
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
cool, thanks;)
angus73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#354 angus73
Member since 2005 • 388 Posts
thanks neat
valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#355 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

thanks for these great advices rob, gonna try one of them now... ;)

Wazko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#356 Wazko
Member since 2006 • 275 Posts
I have a solution! this actually works 75% of the time if the disc says not working or malfunctioning in most cases. i think it also works for dvd's, cd's and other types of discs as well.

• first, bend the disc over and over again so that the entire disc is a bit more flexible (dont ask me why it just works.). dont break it though. try it.
  • then if it doesnt take a pen or something of that shape and stick it through the center hole of the cd. then rotate and spin the pen inside so that it scratches the insides of the hole.
if it doesnt work then ask somebody else cuse it works for me!
BirdBoy_CM_HB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357 BirdBoy_CM_HB
Member since 2004 • 3599 Posts
thanks I fixed my own PS2
eresculero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358 eresculero
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

i got an old ps2, and i tried to fix the disc read error thing by cleaning the laser, it worked once but the second time i did this, it just stoped reading DVD format, original and backups, it just reads CD backups now, i tried the laser adjustment but it didnt work,  i got my laser changed but is still doing the same thing, its there a chance it wasnt the laser but something else in the first place??? or maybe my new laser is not working either??? can someone help me with this please???

EatShlT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359 EatShlT
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I tried the diagnosis on/off trick with my slimline, but It didnt work.

So I have the dreaded DRE, with a slimline that I bought BNIB in june...WTF mate.

I dont mind taking it apart but all the instructions are for fatboy ps2's. I read through over 10 pages of this forum but have not found anything deadicated to the slimline, so I apologize if i missed somthing. Please help me out.

Also it does not help that I cannot find my reciept. :(

It worked last night when i watched Grandma's Boy..(very underated..funny as hell) but when we turned on the ps2 to try ncaa 2006 it DRE.  Then all games, and dvds get the DRE.
pokerface124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360 pokerface124
Member since 2006 • 38 Posts

dude, ok thats f***ing awsome!

i have so many games that dont work, but fro some odd reasons, they r the 1's with blue bottoms, i take such good care of em, but they dont work, and the ones i treat like crap work like a charm!

maybe u can help me with this problem of mine

thnx man, great tipping keep it up

RaptoR_249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#361 RaptoR_249
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts
Unfortunately this was the biggest flaw with the PS2
CrasherXHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362 CrasherXHunter
Member since 2006 • 66 Posts

use toothpaste or glasscleaner on the CD

pretzelmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#363 pretzelmeister
Member since 2005 • 1414 Posts
i have a big problem. about a month ago my ps2 stopped working. The lights and fan turned on, but the screen just turned black. it doesnt show anything- not even the startup screen, and has no sound. I have checked for dust, and cleaned the cables, and nothing happened. I even rang up sony, but for some reason i couldnt get through to them. Whats wrong, and what can i do to fix it?
solidsnakemoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364 solidsnakemoon
Member since 2006 • 320 Posts

well only 2 of my disks don`t work I think I know why

1:my Black game disk didn`t work cause I thonk there is too much scratches

and my Mgs3 disk 2 doesn`t work cause the person put it in this paper cover to cover it omg stupid person

pretzelmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365 pretzelmeister
well for me its not actually any of the disks, its the ps2 itself
Avatar image for vashtheforsaken
vashtheforsaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366 vashtheforsaken
Member since 2003 • 178 Posts
Ya know ive repaired tons of the big ps2s from the "disc read error" message and i will tell you that almost all of the time you LASER is either going out or is already out. They just get pickier and pickier until they wont read at all. Lasers range from 40 to 70 dollars, depending on the model number of the ps2. The lasers are grouped such as A, B, C, D, and R. Its just part of the big ps2's and is a major reason to get a new one. SOMETIMES cleaning the lens directly can help, but i wouldnt really say its a end all fix to the solution, just helps. Turning the ps2 on its side can actually help, but it just varies from system to system, which just proves that they get pickier and pickier untill they will not function at all.
Dabuddah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 Dabuddah06

Um I have a major problem my ps2 has the disk read errors and I opened it up last night were the laser is located it has not one but two of the white gears. My question is which do I turn AND which way do I turn it

I need help a.s.a.p. becuse im buying madden 07 and id like it to work by then

:DP.M me with help please

Cobhamar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#368 Cobhamar
Member since 2004 • 134 Posts
I find usin disk cleaner or toothpaste helps often(this goes with any CD). Also, once the game freezes and brings up the disc error sign in the top corner, eject the disk wipe it down and re-insert. This happened with my old copy of Snake Eater when I fought The End. Doing this helped, but in the end I just got another copy of the game.
thedude777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369 thedude777
Update: Just figured out how to make ps1 games work on ps2 and older ps2's
1. get the ps1 game you want to play on ps2 and get another ps1 game (any kind, doesnt matter)
2. put the game you want to play on the ps2 tray as normal
3.trick: put the second ps1 game on top of the one u want to play
4. reset
(note: dont know if it works on slim PS2's)

othnokia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 othnokia
Thanks a lot
pretzelmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 pretzelmeister
i dont think you guys understand. its not the laser, as the ps2 doesnt even start up. the lights and fan comes on, the screen goes black, an thats it...
JakeRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 JakeRacer
well, actually, bob, what is really happening in your playstation 2 is that the laser is getting weaker. slightly gold tinged disks or blue disks are actually reflecting the laser "beam" right back at the laser, and is damaging it even further. I know, because I spoke with a sony representative and demanded the truth about this " epidemic". that is exactly what he told me. and by the way, guys. if you were saving up for the holy Play Station 3, well , I don't think I'm gonna buy it. If sony is gonna have problems like this, then i don't wanna spend six hundred dollars on a machine that is likely to break. I'd rather stick with an XBox 360.
JakeRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 JakeRacer
It could be that your system has bad wiring. Did you get it , like, right when it was first released? because if so, the chips might have dust buildup or maybe it overheated. that happened to my sega genisis once, and it completely melted the cartridge. nearly caught the house on fire. maybe it's time you wiped off the vents really, really good. I did that and my ps2 works even better now. The graphics are much smoother than they used to.
JakeRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 JakeRacer
it might, because (especially if you have been careless with the gamecube) the gamecube's constant weight could be pushing a gear out of place. if that is the problem, well DUH!!! take the gamecube off! then maybe secure the gear back into place. but don't glue it in or anything. THEN, YOU'RE SCREWED!
JakeRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375 JakeRacer
Dude, the blue discs are REFLECTING THE LASER BEAM BACK AT THE LASER!!! quit using them!
Avatar image for deactivated-5f063175485d4
deactivated-5f063175485d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#376 deactivated-5f063175485d4
Member since 2002 • 1451 Posts
Place your PS2 in a well ventilated area. The system generates a considerable amount of heat which causes considerable amount of stress on the systems internal components/boards. Clean the systems vents, establish a frequency based on experience, check if a lot of dirt moves aroud the area and off course, this will also depend on the usage of your system. Use a surge protector, this is a must if you live in an area where power dips, failres or voltage sortages are common. I dont buy used disks, they always have scratches, specially those sold at video clubs. Get yourself a disk cleaner, it may help you restore some or all of the disks surface and at the same time aid you in enhancing the disks performance. You can use a vacuum cleaner, carefully stick it to the PS2 vent, this will remove most of the dust inside your system. Put your PS-2 in an area where moisture and humidity are not a detrimentin factor. Treat it like your DVD, Amplifier, TV. The PS2 generates Heat, and is an electrical component which can degrade on extended heat stress, moisure, humidity and dust particulate. When you have problems with the disks it momstly that the disk does not work. Other than that it is the PS2 system.
pretzelmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377 pretzelmeister
i got my ps2 mid 2003. i've checked all the wiring, and cleaned every single speck of dust. nothing has changed.
zenbobby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378 zenbobby
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I had the exact same problem.....brand new God of War on a very-recently-purchased refurb slim ps2........wtf mates?
yousef_ahmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#379 yousef_ahmed
Member since 2006 • 49 Posts
well
i faced a problem with my ps2
i tried all ur tricks
but non of them worked ummm i think u didnt cover all cases ;)
there is a case that happened to me
uhm uhm  my ps2's lens is weakend and i went to sony and they said we sold or pieces of that version of lens and they dont have any or wishing to have
so i threw it in the junk
and bought another one

thanks for making me think that i have hope XD :D
byezzzzz
thedude777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380 thedude777
this really sucks to me and other people who cant make blue disks or any regular DVD disk work
dont buy blue disks anymore, you can tell that their blue disks without having to even look at them
if its a compact disk then DONT GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if its DVD then its ok, its the opposite way around for people who cant get DVD disks to work.
Trade it in to Gamespot stores or EBgames for a new slim PS2
chaosX303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381 chaosX303
Member since 2005 • 1211 Posts
i have had my ps2 sence it came out and i have had no problems yet
pretzelmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382 pretzelmeister
the trouble is.... i'm not as rich as you lot, and cant just rock up to a games store and buy a brand spanking new ps2 just because theres a problem with it that can be fixed.
Avatar image for Latinpridep00nz
Latinpridep00nz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383 Latinpridep00nz
Ill try it... ive been going freggin nuts over the disk read error whenever I enter a building in my GTA: SA game for my ps2. It keeps crashing and its been driving me nuts -.-

pretzelmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384 pretzelmeister
congrats on your first post!!!
thedude777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385 thedude777
i thought they had a deal where you trade in your fat ps2 for a new slim one, cause at Ebgames,(the one near me)
had over 20 some fat ps2's stacked in boxes
Ps: latin, i had that problem too on some other games where if you go into some place it crashes,i believe its the cd not the ps2, i traded mine in for a new one and it worked, (but thats a chance, it might be ur ps2)
kev_graw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#386 kev_graw
Member since 2006 • 68 Posts
Aren't there those things that you put a disk in and it resurfaces them to remove scratches and marks
squidder_doa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387 squidder_doa
Member since 2006 • 3631 Posts

they dont work..

bump...sticky !

aldatremain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388 aldatremain
Member since 2005 • 235 Posts
What I do is just open up the ps2 take out the cd cover and clean the lens with a q-tip dust the rest of it and then close it back the way it was an there you go whenever I do this it works like new
Latinpridep00nz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389 Latinpridep00nz
Woah this ownz! it works a hell of alot better than it did before! but there still are some problems as far as things that happen with radio glitches... i made a thread about it under the "Ps2" thing on forums...
BTW: THX whoever gave me a congratz on my first p0st~
Halogodnez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390 Halogodnez
Member since 2003 • 44 Posts
Ok, I've been having this problem for awhile. I usually dont get the disc read error, but the thing is, is that i cant play any silver disc games. I tested two old blue disc games and they both work. Then i tested all my silver disc games and they never load. all i notice is this loud, sketchy sound coming from inside the PS2. I havent open the ps2 yet because i dont want to risk breaking it. I really want to get back into FFX too.

so if you guys can help me id appreciate it.
tobiasrieper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391 tobiasrieper
Member since 2006 • 54 Posts
There are a number of methods to fix your problem guys i always get disk read error with lego star wars and harold and kumar get the munchies dvd. One is to put your ps2 to vertical position and see if it reads,somehow this normally works best.If it doesnt read then put it back to horizontal,try to load it then back up to vertical. RESTART your ps2 on every try,because for some reason it works when u reset and not if u reinsert the disk.Method 2 is cleaning the disk with your t shirt or some water or if you're disgusting spit lol and wipe it with ur t shirt of course,then put the disk back into the tray and RESTART for the same reason.If this doesnt work then there is 1 more secret trick of the trade.Deoderant can clean disks well but if left too long it will probably detirioate the data and corrupt the disk,simply spray about 2 sprays and let it soak all over the disk,it will either evaporate or you will have to clean it off depending on how much you spray . If that didnt work which it does normally work even with a massive scratch in a disk lmao, then there is 1 last idea i bring to you. a lazer cleaning disk i beleive is available to buy, cleansing the lens, combined with there 3 ideas and it should hopefully work:) if not,your only hope is to wait until a ps3 comes out lol:(
Timebreaker_49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392 Timebreaker_49
Member since 2006 • 408 Posts
Well I opened mine up some time ago... and its reading faster than ever..... I opened it up and saw so much dust... I'm guessing that was the biggest problem.
Avatar image for FaintApocalypse
FaintApocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393 FaintApocalypse

This is a big problem Sony has not really managed to tackle...

Latinpridep00nz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394 Latinpridep00nz
TO HALO GODDES:
What might be happening is an error in the lasor that reads the disks, it may only be reading the blue ones because they are easyer for the lazer to read because it can reflect a beam, try cleaning the laser inside ur ps2. What you should do is take a q tip, and dip it in an alcoholic  liquid, .... not alcohol from a beer or somthin lolz... but like maybe somthing like a skin toner has alcohol, rubbing alcohol works good. Dip the q tip in that stuff and swipe it clean, then use the other end of the q tip to dry it out. If that doesnt work, then you might just want to return it unless sombody else has somthing to suggest.
automatica83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395 automatica83

I dont know if this question will get noticed, but yesterday i purchased teh new simpsons DVD set (season 8). It is a brand new retail set. It will not play in my PS2, but will play on my computer and my other DVD player. In addition i have not gotten a disc read error on any otehr disc i own. Is this a problem with my PS2, or the DVDs or both. In addition, if anyone has any insight as to why this would be the only DVD i experience the problem with.

P.S. The error occurs on all four discs in teh set.

fiore1213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396 fiore1213
Member since 2006 • 141 Posts

I had that problem with PS2 but after I changed the laser everything was ok

Rams25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397 Rams25
Member since 2006 • 63 Posts
well whats weird about my PS2 is that i was playing Need For Speed Most Wanted for 2 hours. Then the next day i put in Kingdom Hearts 2 (it had no scraches because it was new) and it was working fine untill the next day! i put in KH2 and it said disk read error! ive tried everthing you guys said and it wouldent work. i have no warrenty and i sent it to sony like 2-3 times before and i dont know whats wrong with it!! I have the disk that cleans the PS2 but it wont read it!!! what should I do?!?
ghoulies42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398 ghoulies42
I need help But to tell you mine is a slimline and no websites have guides on fixing ps2 slimline so i hope you can help me with it. Ill give you the description with whats wrong with it.
ghoulies42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399 ghoulies42
Ya i know what you mean im kinda in some money problems my self and my ps2 is broken and people keep on saying on forums online about the old version when i bought my slimlinee like last year and its broken now. Like i dont have the money to just go to the store and get a new one. And if i got a used one theres bound to be problems with that. so i want to get help fixing it on my own or fixing it for cheap.
ghoulies42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400 ghoulies42

IF ANYBODY HAS ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE PS2 DISK READ ERRORS, CONTACT ME!!!!!!!!! I HAVE FIXED OVER 10 PS2 ALREADY FOR MONEY AND I CAN DO IT FOR YOU FOR FREE! IF YOU HAVE THE MODEL:SCPH 30001, THEN YOU MOST DEFINATELY HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND WILL IN THE FUTURE! ONCE AGAIN CONTACT ME AND I WILL HELP YOU!flamedisc91

Well i need help (born_2_skate42@yahoo.com