Playing easier difficulties make you less of a gamer?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hissingace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hissingace
Member since 2010 • 35 Posts
I'm interested in other people's opinions. Lately I've been playing alot of Dragon age: Oragins, and I play on normal difficultiy. And whilst I know I could play on Nightmare (Highest difficulty) It would only make slow gameplay take longer, and make me actually need health potions. Also for my mage it would make all of me Area of Effect spells hurt all of my teamate's, just as it would my enemies. I play on Normal not because Nightmare is too hard, simply because I would prefer to relax, does that make me a worse gamer than someone who always plays higher difficulties?
pink_floyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 pink_floyd123
Member since 2006 • 1334 Posts

I don't think so. I usually start a game on normal. It adds incentive to play it again.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I see difficulty levels as just adding challenge to the game. If you beat a game on easy, you still beat the game.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

No. Enjoyment is the only consideration to me while playing, and I usually find higher levels of difficulty to ramp up the frustration level and make the experience less fun. If I'm having a good time, that's all that matters.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It most certainly does not make you less of a gamer. Play games at your pace so you enjoy them. Isn't that the point of playing video games in the frist place?

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

Playing games on easy feels like cheating to me. Normal is the normal way to play the game, I don't think you should mind that.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Games are meant to be enjoyed. Everyone plays a game for different reasons. In a game like Dragon Age, one person may be playing it because they enjoy the story and over-arching lore, whereas another person may enjoy the tactical decision-making that comes with playing it at higher levels. There's no right or wrong way to enjoy a game.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
I start RPG's on easy and once I've beaten it I usually go Hard or Normal.
sehana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sehana
Member since 2007 • 50 Posts

I first play on easy for the enjoyment of the game. Then may consider playing a higher difficulty when time permits.

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

I like the game to be challenging so I'll never play on easy. Some people just wanna chill out and see the story and easy mode is usually good for that.

My sister plays Nba2K10 on easy and turns the AI sliders down so she can win every game. That's just stupid imo but whatever floats her boat.

PhoenixVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 PhoenixVenom
Member since 2008 • 706 Posts

whenever i get and start a new game i almost always play on the easiest diff (besides sports games)the first time through. i like to pay attention to the story and explore alot the first time. plus you usually dont have to do a bunch of parts over and over and can continue the story without any gaps cause you cant get past a part and finish the game.

then i play through again on harder diff when i already know whats goin on and and dont get forget the story from dying all the time. like COD i play the first time through on recruit to see the story and get some acheivments, then i do it on vetern, well i do as much as i can, cause its kinda hard on vetern, especially the gernade spamming

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

I see difficulty levels as just adding challenge to the game. If you beat a game on easy, you still beat the game.

Legendaryscmt
This.
GAMECAMILLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#13 GAMECAMILLER
Member since 2005 • 4994 Posts

It most certainly does not make you less of a gamer. Play games at your pace so you enjoy them. Isn't that the point of playing video games in the first place?

Wasdie
Exactly. That's why there are difficulty options in games. Something for everyone. :)
hawk_767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 hawk_767
Member since 2009 • 29 Posts

Depends on your whole idea of a gamer. If your just playing for fun than no difficulty doesn't matter other than for bragging rights, but for a serious gamer, whos possibly hoping to be pro, than playing higher difficulty is best.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

a serious gamer, whos possibly hoping to be pro.

hawk_767
Pro as in profession? How gaming turned into something comparable to a desk job is beyond me. Game Developing is a profession, Game Reviewing/Editorials for an entertainment firm is a profession, but gaming itself? The only time I've seen the term "Pro Gamer" be taken seriously is during competitions for money, and that's what it is, a competition aimed for fun. What other benefits does someone have in turning pro as a gamer? What happened to playing games for fun? This is an interesting inquiry I think would add to the discussion.
xylophagous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 xylophagous
Member since 2008 • 295 Posts

Just play on whatever level gives you the maximum amount of fun. I myself have limited time for gaming so I often play on easy as well, as I just don't have the time to sit and struggle on frustratingly difficult sections of games - nor why should I if I don't enjoy it. It depends on the game of course, some are way harder than others, even on easy mode. Some games only have one difficutly level (Etrian Odyssey, anyone?) and can make for a ton of challenge.

Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

Easy is fine. Not any less of a gamer. Some people need a easy mode in games. I think all of us at some point have selected easy mode.

rjxtian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rjxtian
Member since 2005 • 2638 Posts

I start off every game on easy. Then I go thru the other diffiultys. I like to learn the controls and the mechanics of a game. Easy is a good way to do this. Plus, if i really enjoy a game, I enjoy going thru it on harder and harder levels.

Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
Certainly not. I choose to play games on the hardest difficulty whenever I can because I enjoy the challenge, and the bragging rights beating the game on the hardest difficulty brings with my friends. :P If you play a game on easy, that is your choice, and you are still a gamer.
_rock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 _rock_
Member since 2007 • 7071 Posts
If it's true, Im in trouble:P
Murd3r3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Murd3r3r
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

it's simple if u finish a game on a difficulty and see that's not much of a challenge 4 u , go on a higher difficulty ... I always do that ...

Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#22 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts
I always choose normal. Seriously, it's like saying, "If you don't play Demon's Souls , then you aren't a gamer!" And what the hell kind of logic is THAT?
infernalant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 infernalant
Member since 2009 • 121 Posts
i pretty much always start on easy and work my way up. If I find easy 'too easy' then i will change the difficulty. Its all for fun at the end of the day
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
No. Sometimes i prefer the easier difficulties to the harder ones, or vice versa. It depends on the game though and how it's designed.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Games are designed to be played on normal. Higher difficulties are for when we seek a challenge. As for easy settings, one of my friends always plays on easy, so what?
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#27 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

No, it doesn't make you less of a gamer if you play it on the easy difficulty settings. But, honestly, it's not going to make you into a better gamer if you keep playing on the easier difficulty settings. Challenge yourself.

I usually start off a game on normal. It's the way the game is meant to be played. If I like it enough to have a second playthrough I'll play it on the higher difficulty settings.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Games are designed to be played on normal. Higher difficulties are for when we seek a challenge. As for easy settings, one of my friends always plays on easy, so what?Black_Knight_00

That being said, one developer's idea of Normal may be quite different then anothers. In some games, the difficulty level just below Normal (as defined by the developers) could be what most gamers would consider Normal.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#29 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
No it doesn't. As long as you play, and enjoy games, your a gamer IMO. I play on hardest setting possible, but that's just how I like to, it doesn't matter how hard you set the game, just that you enjoy it.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

I usually ignore any "easy" settings and just play on normal the first time. I rarely enjoy a game enough to play through it again but if i do i will ramp up to the next difficulty then.

In some cases i find normal too easy and the next setting to be more frustration than its worth so im left either being less entertained because its easy or frustrated because its hard. Id rather be less entertained than frustrated.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

It does not, it jsut makes you a lil' casual gamer or an easy-going one.

Hissingace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Hissingace
Member since 2010 • 35 Posts

Normal default mode is good enough for most if not all games. If you play stuff on easy however, then your crap and you deserve to have people take the piss out of you.

Evil_Saluki
LMFAO Okay, I'm playing on normal so calm down. But honestly, this opinion is the outcast of all the others. I believe that normal is good enough for most games and the general gamer, but there were alot of people who said easy was the way to go, especially for the first time playing through. To get a feel for the game without any worries, and learning the story easier and faster without fear or getting stuck or something.
jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
The way I see it Easy - made for those who can't handle normal or really suck at videogames Normal - for the average and hardcore gamers. This mode allows those who want a challange (people who suck) or those who want to rush through the story so they can understand the game, then change to higher difficulty to enhance the gameplay (dedicated). Hard - for those who are good at video games or beat normal and feel hard would be a worthy challenge Anything past Hard mode is for those pro gamers who play 60 hours a week and exceed the boundaries of normal human capabilities.
MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

It doesn't make you less than a gamer, it only makes you less 'h4rdc0r3'. :P

The only games I ever play on their hardest difficulty are fighters. Anything else I'll play on normal or hard. (With the exception of Mass Effect - I was merely there for the ride.)

Syaz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 Syaz1
Member since 2008 • 554 Posts

i like a game that has a "just nice" difficulty too. to me, going on and on about not playing the game on a harder difficulty just make me look like an egoistic dickhead. i prefer to enjoy my games, not to get frustrated over it (like if playing on harder difficulty, i keep dying).

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Nope. you just play the game faster and more relaxed, plus enjoy it more!!! Explanation: there are people who play for challenge, well i play for experiance, atleast in my first playtrough!!
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#37 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I play on easy whenever possible =P
amirzaim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 amirzaim
Member since 2007 • 1720 Posts
When you're playing games in any difficulties, you're still the gamer and the gamer is the person who are likely magnetic to their games. Usuall, when i'm stating with a new game level, i'll choose the easy ones. Sometimes, the easy ones could be the difficult one. I had been experiences this phenomenon when i'm playing red alert 2 when the soviets team must defend the base from the yuri's troop attacks and to make it easier, the kirov airship was readily given and set the ship to the best spot to block their attacks. The another thing is when i'm playing metal gear solid 1 (PC version) in very easy mode, this game is still a very bit difficult one and i'm still can't beat the guy in the tank.
Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts
Normal difficulty is what the dev believes most will play so that is the best way to play a game. Anything higher is just to add replay value and anything lower is to help the less skilled get the most fun.
wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#40 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

No not at all. If I know I can handle it I'll choose Normal if I'm not sure then I'll choose Easy then I might play through it again on harder settings. But overall it doesn't matter to me all that matters is that I'm enjoying the game.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

Easy can be useful for getting to grips with the controls, memorising the layout, then once you've got it all memorised and you're confident that you'll do well, then bumping up the challenge and seeing how well you do and being ready to bump the challenge back down if it's too hard.

MKOHLER2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42 MKOHLER2009
Member since 2010 • 261 Posts
Of course not. People play games to have fun and if a higher difficulty is too hard and lowering the difficulty would make your experience better do it.
Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

I usually play on normal if I'm familiar with the mechanics of the game (Halo, Mass Effect/KotOR/Dragon Age), easy if the game is ridiculously hard even at its default setting (Road to Hill 30, then when I played Earned in Blood I ramped it up a little). I really only play hard or insane/veteran/legendary if it's co op because with two people anything less takes away from the fun. It's more fun for me to take on a challenge with a buddy rather than doing it solo.

jamsy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 jamsy42
Member since 2009 • 95 Posts

I'll normally play a game on normal one or twice then ramp up the difficulty, it adds to replay value in my opinon

chelseaman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chelseaman99
Member since 2009 • 229 Posts

OK ... I'm crap at all games except from FIFA and CoD. However, I play Halo 3 single-player quite a bit. I play on normal difficulty. But I put fricking hours into that game, so IMO that makes me a gamer.

Avatar image for monkeymoose5000
monkeymoose5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 monkeymoose5000
Member since 2007 • 6111 Posts

It just makes you better at the game when you play the harder difficulties, easier doesn't make you less of a gamer. Probably just worse at the game.

dragonage22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dragonage22
Member since 2009 • 167 Posts

I think its perfectly acceptable to play games on easy, its about your enjoyment and I'd rather that than choose another difficulty only to realise I get stuck half way through and therefore stop playing. If you choose easy you know you'll most likely complete the game etc and therefore get your moneys worth.

NLahren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#49 NLahren
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts
i always play on easy difficulty, some good games on hard too, on easy you have the possibility to chill out and you have more fun, becasue you do not get frustrated
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
In my opinion the Difficulties does not make you more or less of a gamer. A gamer is someone who enjoys playing games and might consider it a hobby. The difficulties are there so you may choose if you want a challenge from the start of after you've played through it.