Playing as a female, given the option to play as a guy

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Decrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Decrate
Member since 2004 • 1731 Posts

i need to know if there is something wrong with me, because sometimes i actually enjoy playing as a female character in many games, particularly when they are good looking.

also, the thinness of the female body in games while wielding a huge 2 handed sword makes it rather amusing to me and cool rather than a big muscular guy wielding the same sword.

also, when pvping in some online games, if i happen to play as a female i have a slightly better time killing people because its just cool putting down a huge enemy character with a tiny girl.

also when running around in a game, i tend to enjoy seeing a female run around for hours rather than a male..

is there anyone out there that can relate? or am i some freak haha

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

It means you are hetero-sexual. Pretty sure a lot of guys do that, me included. :P

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

somewhat

but i prefer to play as a female in mass effect simply cause the male voice actors voice is soooooooooo boring
or in New vegas i played as a female so it would feel like one of those 70s revenge exploitation films

but most of the time i play as male then switch to female to see if theres any difference in the dialog

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I'm more of a role playing guy, especially in MMORPGs I give them a background by myself and I chose the gender as I can see it fit to the back story. But I do tend to chose more females because a lot of games with no choice force you to play as guy. So no, you're not alone and I'm pretty sure nothing's wrong with you :)

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

As long as she's the sterotypical hot chick, me too... Borderlands and such.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

This topic is being common :P, games are like fantasy simulations so what if you play as a girl :).

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
I almost always play as a buff male, because I would like to be a buff male. I have the male part down, but the buff part is much more difficult. However, I can definitely see the advantage of staring at a female's backside for multiple hours instead of a male's.
poisonelf1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 poisonelf1
Member since 2011 • 93 Posts

This has been a continued argument from one end to another for a very long time.

I think how I have liked it best put- When its a choice of looking at a males butte or females for hours on end, hmm.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

I prefer female leads and gender choice in games, though it's so rare for that to happen, because it's a breath of fresh air in a stale industry where male leads are a dime a dozen and always the stereotypical man with a chin that can cut through steel.
Very boring.

Though it would be nice if developers made female leads more respectable instead of catering to horny male teens. Though imagination and creativity is rapidly becoming a myth in all aspects of the media from movies to video games.

Islandbeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Islandbeats
Member since 2008 • 1034 Posts
I am a guy and I normally play as a guy. It's just easier for me to relate to male characters. I may try a Mass Effect 2 playthrough as a female though just to see what its like.
smchacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#11 smchacko
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

there is something awesome about a strong female character, but I can't pinpoint why exactly it's so cool

MonkeyPulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MonkeyPulp
Member since 2007 • 443 Posts

I think how I have liked it best put- When its a choice of looking at a males butte or females for hours on end, hmm.

poisonelf1

I really don't care what you play as but I'v never understood why people say this. You should be playing the game instead of staring at your characters ass.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

On my "canon" playthrough, I'll go with a guy. Like how they say, some people like to identify with their characters and immerse themselves... so I'm generally a good-side male 'cause I like to think I'm a good guy in real life.

Then I do the opposite with female and go all-out superb****.

The preferences also change with setting, too. For whatever reason, my Mass Effect character has to be male thanks to years of watching Stargate and Firefly, whereas if I'm playing a fantasy game, I tend to go with female characters. Though this may change because after watching Spartacus Blood and Sand, big guys with badass swords and armour are all the rage again.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Some guys use the argument that they'd rather stare at a woman's backside than a guy's. Personally I think that's bunk and I don't get aroused by watching a little computer person running around. I think they're trying too hard to wear their "guy card" on their sleeve. I do sometimes play as a female as well though, just for a change of pace. Variety is the spice of life and having access to twice as many options of armor and whatnot is better than not.

Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts
Ever since game developers came out with male/female main character options I've been female. I am female and considering how many (and I do mean many) years I had no choice, well, I'm making up for lost time! I just can relate more, however, I do feel obligated to make the morally correct choices. ;)
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
I always go female. Why would I want to be a guy when I am one in real life:?
OmegaAK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 OmegaAK47
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts

I tryed to play as a female, but to me I feel a bit strang. But other people who do thats good for them.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

If its an MMO i will always play a girl because id rather look at a girls butt all day. If its an rpg where the character is kinda supposed to be you i play a guy, i dont do second play throughs, but if i did i would be a girl the second time

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts
I don't mind playing as a female in any game, but if you give me the option, I'm most likely going to go with a male character. I try to project myself on to whatever character I play as in rpg's or anything that gives me choices, and it's easier to do that playing as a guy than as a girl. Honestly, one of the times I prefer playing as a woman would be the original Resident Evil. Playing as Jill had so many perks through the mansion run-through than Chris ever did, not to mention being a master of unlocking.
PalmPixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PalmPixi
Member since 2011 • 361 Posts

As long as she's the stereotypical hot chick, me too... Borderlands and such.

YoungSinatra25
I agree. Sometimes it seems forced, the way they portray most chicks in video games.
drochnathair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 drochnathair
Member since 2008 • 412 Posts

I just choose whatever fits my conception of that character. For instance, when I first played Dragon Age, I made my character a male human mage, because I had an idea of a crafty wizard character, and a male better suited the idea of that type. For my next playthrough, I made a city elf female rogue, because after playing through the opening, I had an idea of my character as a Bride With White Hair type, out for revenge against the humans. It's never as if I'm imagining myself as that character, more like I'm reading a book about this character.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

Depends of the game, I don't really have a problem with the Main Character being either gender. If it's a 3rd person view game, I usually chose a female, for obvious reasons ;)

Inb4: Ya ya, they are pixel females, w/e, female is female. With the pixel theory, you like watching pixel males then?

windswepthair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 windswepthair
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I like to play as either :)
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#24 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

you need to start dating..lol

StudySession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 StudySession
Member since 2009 • 1539 Posts

I play as the female character in most games too. :oops:

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Female Shepard in Mass Effect is vastly superior to the male Shepard as far as characterization goes, so I'll once again play ME3 as a woman
Islandbeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Islandbeats
Member since 2008 • 1034 Posts
I'm hearing alot of praise for femShep. I may need to do a playthrough as her.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 trastamad03
Speaking of FemShep... how's FemHawke? Is she better than Obi-gay wan-nabe... I mean MaleHawke?
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#29 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
freak! >.> I read a psych paper on this, dealing with gender identity. It basically confirmed that 85% of guys are weird. =p
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
freak! >.> I read a psych paper on this, dealing with gender identity. It basically confirmed that 85% of guys are weird. =pAllicrombie
What about the remaining 15%?
drochnathair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 drochnathair
Member since 2008 • 412 Posts

I'm hearing alot of praise for femShep. I may need to do a playthrough as her.Islandbeats

Femshep is indeed superior, most noticeably in the voice acting department. However, there's a fatal flaw there. You can't romance Tali. It's a dealbreaker.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I do it all the time. :D
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
No. I need to concentrate.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#34 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

It bounces around from game to game. Sometimes I make a female character out of inspiration from another character in a movie or game. I make male characters the same way. Some games, like Borderlands, the girl just fit my play style more than the other characters.

I started Mass Effect as a male and couldn't stand the voice actor. So I started over as a Femshep and it made the game much more enjoyable. Her voice also fit her appearance in a weird sort of way.

TentacleMayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TentacleMayor
Member since 2008 • 1469 Posts
Whatever is more fun to you. I like to be able to identify with my character on some levels, so I play male. Only exception is in games like Diablo, where some classes I like are female-only.
Strormbringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Strormbringer
Member since 2011 • 263 Posts
I always go female. Why would I want to be a guy when I am one in real life:?Dracula68
Yes. I agree with you.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14929 Posts

Speaking of FemShep... how's FemHawke? Is she better than Obi-gay wan-nabe... I mean MaleHawke?trastamad03

Oh YES

She is awesome...much better than the male Hawke.

And its Lady Hawke....

LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#39 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

I usually do at least one playthrough as both, once with the standard character (e.g. Male soldier Shepard) and another as a female in a different class.

DA2 was the first time I skipped the default class (probably because I got sick of being a warrior in DA:O) and went straight to being a female rogue who swings both ways.

Although there was one playthrough of Mass Effect where I accidentally made a female character so damn ugly I couldn't continue with it...

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 trastamad03

[QUOTE="trastamad03"]Speaking of FemShep... how's FemHawke? Is she better than Obi-gay wan-nabe... I mean MaleHawke?texasgoldrush

Oh YES

She is awesome...much better than the male Hawke.

And its Lady Hawke....

Thanks, please don't hurt me for calling her FemHawke and not Lady Hawke :C
poisonelf1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 poisonelf1
Member since 2011 • 93 Posts

[QUOTE="poisonelf1"]

MonkeyPulp

I really don't care what you play as but I'v never understood why people say this. You should be playing the game instead of staring at your characters ass.

This is the easy way to say the history of gaming wrapped up in a nutshell.

Its a game, play what you want does it really matter, maybe you want to play a female character because the skill set they have.

History I have seen.

Males playing a female character, and forming intimate relations with other males. This being one thing many fear I believe.

Males to macho to think they could ever play a female.

Visa versa females jealous/weirded out of males playing a female etc.

Basically what it all boils down to, is males can't get over the fact they are trying to pick up on some female, and don't know if its a male. Many females I have known for years generally play a male character because of this fact and to be left alone. The thing is, you have no clue who is behind the controls in many of these cases, this is a problem when tying to pick up on someone. So the sooner one realizes this and its just a game, not a pick up bar, what gender you play really matters very little.

Live chat now has been a bigger thing in many mmo's, and quite often required in many parts of game play. Thereare those wanting to know who is who, and those that would rather not.

So a simple comment covers some of these issues people can't deal with. Would you rather look at a females butte or a males all game. What can the pick up males say to that? What do People know now that think all female characters are really female?

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

In RPGs where there is significant character customization (class, race, gender), I usually create 2 or more characters, one of which is usually a female.

Tony-F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Tony-F
Member since 2010 • 32 Posts

When i play online (especially) i never play as a female character, it just doesn't feel right.

Also, when i encounter other players who play female characters i think of them as females.

...Well, not now anymore.

shabulia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#44 shabulia
Member since 2004 • 2625 Posts

There's nothing wong with you. I'm a man and9 times out of 10, when given a chocie of playing as a male or female, I pick the girl. I think it's just the fact that I like looking at the female as I play. Games are an escape from reality. changing sexes is an extended form of that for me. Chun Li, Terra, Kasumi, or a female character in Dragon Age.... chicks are where it's at! Why do you think Lara Croft is so popular?

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

I usually choose a female character.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44630 Posts
I remember reading a Q&A interview before the original Tomb Raider was in development asking why they made the lead character female and the creators responded something along the lines that if you have to stare at somebody's ass the entire game, hour after hour after hour, that it'd be better if it were a woman's ass.
MonkeyPulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MonkeyPulp
Member since 2007 • 443 Posts

This is the easy way to say the history of gaming wrapped up in a nutshell.

Its a game, play what you want does it really matter, maybe you want to play a female character because the skill set they have.

History I have seen.

Males playing a female character, and forming intimate relations with other males. This being one thing many fear I believe.

Males to macho to think they could ever play a female.

Visa versa females jealous/weirded out of males playing a female etc.

Basically what it all boils down to, is males can't get over the fact they are trying to pick up on some female, and don't know if its a male. Many females I have known for years generally play a male character because of this fact and to be left alone. The thing is, you have no clue who is behind the controls in many of these cases, this is a problem when tying to pick up on someone. So the sooner one realizes this and its just a game, not a pick up bar, what gender you play really matters very little.

Live chat now has been a bigger thing in many mmo's, and quite often required in many parts of game play. Thereare those wanting to know who is who, and those that would rather not.

So a simple comment covers some of these issues people can't deal with. Would you rather look at a females butte or a males all game. What can the pick up males say to that? What do People know now that think all female characters are really female?

poisonelf1

I'm assuming you're ranting in general because I didnt say anything against people playing females. If anyone was to form an online relationship based on what gender the opposite person plays they have other issues.

My comment about the butts was that it was a horrible argument. You're comment about "Males to macho to think they could ever play a female." Is ridiculous when you use a "macho" comment like "I don't like staring at a males butt". It honestly shows more insecurity then the former.

In the end it doesn't matter what you play as, just don't try to argue like what you choose is the right choice. (The players choice is the right choice, not what you think they should play.)

Homicide___

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Homicide___
Member since 2011 • 79 Posts
It doesn't matter what sex, race or region the character is to me, as long as there interesting I'm happy.
digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#49 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

I actually like to play big burly male characters sometimes (if the female models are to my liking).

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
I often play as a female, it started as some sort of ironic joke but now everybody does it. In pokemon it's because the male characters all look silly whereas the female characters look far more humble