Platinum admits sales are a problem

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts
Making Bayonetta 2 a Wii U exclusive was just brilliant.  Even a ridiculously optimistic sales estimate might put it at half a million, after the first game sold two million on the 360 and PS3.Jackc8
Well, I assume that it's hard to argue with a big bag of money being thrown on your desk. I doubt they care how much it sells if it's Nintendo who wants to pay for it.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#52 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]I wonder what would happen if Platinum ditched storytelling the way Valve did ? Left 4 Dead and Portal 2 dominated with just gameplay and context.Lulekani

Left 4 Dead is multiplayer and Portal 2 not only HAD storytelling, but it was incredibly well-written and executed.

Platinum couldn't do Valve if their lives depended on it.

Portal 2 didn't have storytelling. It had excellent backstory and great narrative but storytelling in that game was minimal.

How can it have a narrative without storytelling? Storytelling is the conveying of events by use of plot and characters that form a story or narrative. There is no narrative without storytelling.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
I wonder what would happen if Platinum ditched storytelling the way Valve did ? Left 4 Dead and Portal 2 dominated with just gameplay and context.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Lulekani

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]I wonder what would happen if Platinum ditched storytelling the way Valve did ? Left 4 Dead and Portal 2 dominated with just gameplay and context.UpInFlames

Left 4 Dead is multiplayer and Portal 2 not only HAD storytelling, but it was incredibly well-written and executed.

Portal 2 didn't have storytelling. It had excellent backstory and great narrative but storytelling in that game was minimal.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

I flat-out hated the combat system in Metal Gear Rising, clunky and unintuitive as hell.

Grammaton-Cleric

That game is easily one of the best hack-n-slash action games ever made and even after having invested dozens of hours into the game I am still discovering new techniques and strategies.

And when played at higher levels, clunky is the last adjective I'd employ to describe it.

It's easily the closest thing we have to a legitimate Ninja Gaiden successor.

I've heard a lot of conflicting things about MGR's combat system. I think its more than a little strange Konami never saw fit to just offer up the demo to anyone via XBL and PSN, but insteady requires people to buy a full game.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]I wonder what would happen if Platinum ditched storytelling the way Valve did ? Left 4 Dead and Portal 2 dominated with just gameplay and context.UpInFlames

Yeah, I think with Quantum Conumdrum that Kim Swift found out the hard way that despite her excellent design skills, storytelling was a big factor in the success of the Portal games (which birthed a billion memes).

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Lulekani

[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

UpInFlames

How can it have a narrative without storytelling? Storytelling is the conveying of events by use of plot and characters that form a story or narrative. There is no narrative without storytelling.

come on Smarty pants. Even though storytelling and narrative are intechangible they are not the same thing. And theres totaly narrative without storytelling. Storytelling sucks donkey balls.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#58 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Vanquish would be a better game with less cursing. The gameplay is good, but there is so much cursing I stopped playing it.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 UpInFlames

I've heard a lot of conflicting things about MGR's combat system. I think its more than a little strange Konami never saw fit to just offer up the demo to anyone via XBL and PSN, but insteady requires people to buy a full game.

CarnageHeart

Actually, there is a demo on Xbox Live. Don't know about PSN.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 UpInFlames

come on Smarty pants. Even though storytelling and narrative are intechangible they are not the same thing. And theres totaly narrative without storytelling. Storytelling sucks donkey balls.Lulekani

I am not saying they are the same thing, I am saying that there is no one without the other. Explain how can you TELL a STORY without the use of STORYTELLING, I'd love to hear it.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#62 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

UpInFlames

Actually, there is a demo on Xbox Live. Don't know about PSN.

There's one on PSN too.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Lulekani

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]come on Smarty pants. Even though storytelling and narrative are intechangible they are not the same thing. And theres totaly narrative without storytelling. Storytelling sucks donkey balls.UpInFlames

I am not saying they are the same thing, I am saying that there is no one without the other. Explain how can you TELL a STORY without the use of STORYTELLING, I'd love to hear it.

Easy, via interpretation. Portal, Journey and Left 4 Dead are quite simular with their narrative, they both got good context and storytelling is kept to a minimum however player agency allows for a far great story to emerge without the need of story "telling" (its the "telling" part that I got beef with), simply combine and interpret the players actions into words and Voila ! Story without telling. . . . . I think ?. . .
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#65 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

I flat-out hated the combat system in Metal Gear Rising, clunky and unintuitive as hell.

CarnageHeart

That game is easily one of the best hack-n-slash action games ever made and even after having invested dozens of hours into the game I am still discovering new techniques and strategies.

And when played at higher levels, clunky is the last adjective I'd employ to describe it.

There was a public demo. 

The combat system is fantastic. It doesn't have the free-flowing nature of other action games, and that is what likely makes people think the combat is clunky. It's a very different kind of action game. The free flowing cutting mechanic takes a bit getting used to, so does the parry system, but the game is incredibly challenging and ace-ing sections feels extremely rewarding. 

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 UpInFlames

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]come on Smarty pants. Even though storytelling and narrative are intechangible they are not the same thing. And theres totaly narrative without storytelling. Storytelling sucks donkey balls.Lulekani

Easy, via interpretation. Portal, Journey and Left 4 Dead are quite simular with their narrative, they both got good context and storytelling is kept to a minimum however player agency allows for a far great story to emerge without the need of story "telling" (its the "telling" part that I got beef with), simply combine and interpret the players actions into words and Voila ! Story without telling. . . . . I think ?. . .

Yes, that's still called storytelling. I think you're simply looking at storytelling as being exclusively verbal. A story can be told in many ways, not just verbally. Storytelling can employ images and sounds, among others, as well as words to deliver a story.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

S0lidSnake

There was a public demo. 

The combat system is fantastic. It doesn't have the free-flowing nature of other action games, and that is what likely makes people think the combat is clunky. It's a very different kind of action game. The free flowing cutting mechanic takes a bit getting used to, so does the parry system, but the game is incredibly challenging and ace-ing sections feels extremely rewarding. 

Cool. I'll have to try t this weekend.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Lulekani

[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

UpInFlames

Yes, that's still called storytelling. I think you're simply looking at storytelling as being exclusively verbal. A story can be told in many ways, not just verbally. Storytelling can employ images and sounds, among others, as well as words to deliver a story.

Nope. The words were just an example, I hate storytelling in all its forms from text to audio to cutscenes, unless they allow player agency, for obvious reasons cutscenes are disqualified. As for audio and texts, it depends how their used, I can't come up with examples right now but I swear, its totally outthere. . . . . Right ?