Physical copy Vs. digital download

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I normally prefer to have a game disc because I can always trade or sell if I choose, installs take up way less space on your HD vs downloading and installing, and it's cool to have a small collection of favorites to showcase.

On the other hand, I couldn't imagine having hundreds of games on my shelves so I occasionally download definite keepers. The main advantages of having digital downloads is saving yourself a trip to the store or waiting for a delivery, freeing up shelf space, and having your games on one system. Which do you prefer?

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

I prefer digital download nowadays. They're all in my hard drive, so it saves a lot of space in my bedroom.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Since I primary play PS3, I prefer to have a disc of games I own. I do have a number of downloaded games, but they take up tons of HDD space. I almost never sell my games, so that's the main reason I try to avoid having downloaded games.
tribalTox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 tribalTox
Member since 2006 • 803 Posts

Well for the 360 and Wii, I perfer to have a physical copy. On my PC, its all digital. I use to perfer physical copies over digital ones but I'm slowly growing more fond of digital copys.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

PC: Digital Download

Console: Physical Copies are preferable due to how much space games can take up on the HDD.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

digital is always better unless its like a Collector's Edition where the physical goodies are actually worth it.

With 3 TB drives out there, HD space is a non-issue.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I prefer physical copies for console games and digital for PC games. I like having the collection on my shelf and the ability to not have to manage HDD space but this is largely null for PC gaming.

Besides, PC gaming made physical copies such an unattractive offer when compared to DD counterparts. Limited amount of installs per \disc, DD is cheaper, harddrive space for PCs is basically nothing now, etc etc.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44417 Posts
If I can easily find a physical copy of a game where I live I will always choose that over a digital download. I prefer physical copies for the tangible reasons such as having it on display in my game collection and also because if for whatever reason I really don't want to have to download the game again or really even once given how large these games are these days and continually getting bigger.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

They ae different with their different strengths and weaknesses. One is not better dispite what the publishers says.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#10 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I prefer physical copy any day.. digital takes up valuable hard drive space, I can't trade it back in when I'm done with it and things can go wrong with digital.. for instance what happens when the service shuts down? You can no longer re download the game. If you keep the disc, you can always play it.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Physical copy by a landslide.

I say this with hundreds of DD games on my PCs, 360s, Wii, and PS3s.

However, physical allows me to play my games on any system, including the future when the PS5, Wii U2, and Xbox 4 are out.

If I only had one PS3, one 360, one PC, one Wii U...maybe I would like DD better, but don't.

Also, as a collector, Physical wins. Especially since I can't do used games, trade games, see games value rise with my PC games.

I get the convenience, but I hate the trade offs.

They save on making a disc, case, booklet...and they have us user our TB+ of space to hold their content for them, and have the gall to charge us tull price.

Personally, EVERY SINGLE XBLA, PSN, WiiWare, Steam, GOG, etc game I own I got on sale. I also hate FORCED DRM.

PC is odd too in that when you buy a lot of games these days, they are pretty much digital anyways.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#12 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

In almost any situation, I'd prefer to have the physical copy.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#13 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
Another advantage to some digital downloads is that if they somehow break you can download them again But like most I prefer physical copy.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Whether it's movies, music, or video games, I very much prefer having a physical copy. Digital would just take the fun out of it for me.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

I prefer a physical copy, but I will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of both:

• Physical copies take up less space on the hard drive than a digital download.
  • You can get physical copies even if you have capped your internet.
  • Physical copies can be traded in.
  • Physical copies come with a physical manual that you can reed while playing.
  • You can play physical copies on other people's consoles.
  • It takes longer to get physical copies.
  • Digital downloads are cheaper.
  • Unlimited supplies of digital downloads.
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

I buy a lot of import games, so digital downloads don't work for me because you're stuck with the region you're in. It's also why I'll probably never buy a Wii U if all of its games are region locked like the original Wii was.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wiouds

I got a game from x-box live for the that was on the first x-box about a robot called glitch. I deleted to make room on my harddrive. When I got a larger one, I sent out to search for it and could not download it again.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#18 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer physical copies, but if gaming switched to mainly digital in the future...well...I guess I'd just have to suck it up and go with it.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Physical copy for sure. What happens if a big DD platform like Steam goes under some day? People will lose access to their games. Physical ensures that I will be able to play a game for as long as I have that disc.

applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

Physical is definitely my preferred format, but sometimes downloading is your only choice.

I have a question, by the way. If I download a full game off the PS Store, and I install it, if my internet is cut off for whatever reason, will I be able to play the game even when I'm not signed in?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidTy

Physical is definitely my preferred format, but sometimes downloading is your only choice.

I have a question, by the way. If I download a full game off the PS Store, and I install it, if my internet is cut off for whatever reason, will I be able to play the game even when I'm not signed in?

applesxc47

Yes.

I've done that before, I've taken my PS3 and 360 to the cabin w/ no internet and all the games worked that were downloaded. I have hundreds of games I Downloaded from PSN and over a hundred more on XBLA. For the record, I even tested my Wii, which is full to the brim of VC games.

That's one thing I hate about the wave of 'Always Online DRM' I see on my DD PC games. Take your Lappy to the Cabin, and you may have problems.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Both have their pros and cons.

Physical

pros: uses on multiple systems without restrictions, takes up little to no HDD space, has an added sense of value by being see-able, can be sold or traded.

cons: has to be bought in stores or shipped to home, has to be added and removed to/from system physically, can be cumbersome (mainly with portable systems), if damaged it costs money to replace, takes up room on shelves, can be stolen.

Digital

pros: bought from home or directly from device, replaced for free if damaged, doesn't need to be taken out to put different game in your system.

cons: takes up room on HDD, use limitations and restrictions, can't be re-sold or traded.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="applesxc47"]

SolidTy

Yes.

I've done that before, I've taken my PS3 and 360 to the cabin w/ no internet and all the games worked that were downloaded. I have hundreds of games I Downloaded from PSN and over a hundred more on XBLA. For the record, I even tested my Wii, which is full to the brim of VC games.

That's one thing I hate about the wave of 'Always Online DRM' I see on my DD PC games. Take your Lappy to the Cabin, and you may have problems.

If you are playing PS + software that you downloaded for free, you have to sign in to play some titles, like the Back to the Future games. If you can't get online for whatever reason, your PS3 will think the subscription has run out and it prevents you from playing it until you log back in.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#24 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Sidenote, but why do people keep refering to downloadable games as "digital downloads"? Isn't the fact that its a download imply that it's digital to begin with? Seriously -- what's up with that?

Anyway -- I prefer physical media whenever possible. Much as love the convenience of digital, it's nice to have that sense of actual ownership over something. It's comforting, you know?

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wiouds

Sidenote, but why do people keep refering to downloadable games as "digital downloads"? Isn't the fact that its a download imply that it's digital to begin with? Seriously -- what's up with that?

Anyway -- I prefer physical media whenever possible. Much as love the convenience of digital, it's nice to have that sense of actual ownership over something. It's comforting, you know?

c_rake

I trust most retailers as far as I can throw their product and you can not throw data.

Then again, I lost more DD games in the last few years than physical games.

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

I choose physical copies.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#27 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

on the PC and Vita i try and go all digital when i can. So Steam and PSN, and a tiny tiny bit of Origin.

on PS3, this is the first winter where i've picked up at full price full-fledged games, Assassin's Creed 3, and Playstation All Stars.

but generally speaking i go for hard copy PS3 games when i want to, or no particular deal shows up.

TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
I love having a physical copy just to take up shelf space really xP I like my shelves to have things on them, but since I don't buy new games all that often they never really get full anywho xP
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#29 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i have almost all my games in a physical form except for 1 game
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#30 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Physical copy 100 %!!! I hate digital distributions.

Spyke504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 Spyke504
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

My Options are, Physical copy are good if it have code what you can enter ex steam and if game disc are broken you can still download game and play that. Physical copy are good aslo if you have slow internet and but disc in cd drive and istall. Always you can do backup disc in steam, bad that it cannot do in origin and ubisoft but hope they add this future in some new update!

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

I prefer physical copies. Though I don't have enough space to store games in their packaging, I use CD spindles.

Often times I forget that I even have games downloaded to my HD.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

I usually prefer the physical copy as well, but if I want a classic game that's only available via Download (for example Bethesda's first two Elder Scrolls games, and these even totally legally for free on their own website) or some classics that are only on Steam I gladly will downlad them for the chance to get physical working copies of them + the right system to play them on...and let's not mention what THAT would cost.........are pretty narrow

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="applesxc47"]

Bigboi500

Yes.

If you are playing PS + software that you downloaded for free, you have to sign in to play some titles, like the Back to the Future games. If you can't get online for whatever reason, your PS3 will think the subscription has run out and it prevents you from playing it until you log back in.

That's odd because if you check my profile I have that 5 Episode Back to the Future series and I have 100% in all of them but the last I have 90%. I own 3 PS3s.

Two of them are always offline, disconnected so as to not screw up my main livingroom PS3 which is always online.

Those games I played in my offline Bedroom PS3, and I am always offline in there.

I've owned Two PS3's since PS3's launch just like I bought 2 360s at 360 launch.

PS3 PSN is like PC's Steam just like XBL Gamertag in that you can't be logged in the same account at the same time ONLINE. You can however have the same PSN account offline. That's why other PS3's are always offline. I picked up a third PS3 in 2009ish, for the Bedroom.

If you turn on another PS3 with your PSN, it will boot out the other PS3. I learned real fast if I was playing games with friends, if my lady turned on another PS3, I would be booted. So I turned those PS3's off except for my main.

I don't know what issue you ran across, but it certainly doesn't seem to be the norm for PSN. I've never run across that issue you speak of, and I have over a hundred PSN games, and over 1000+ Downloads for PSN. The same for 360.

I get these machines at launch, so I've had time to aquire games. My Wii was maxed out in games in the first year.

I read your post last night, and I checked last night my Back to the Future games upstairs on my offline PS3.

PSN does not require me to log online at all to play Back to the Future.

PS+ has a counter on the games. If I had to guess, you were going through some sort of renewal process at the time. I can see a counter on my games, 600 days or whatever. So, clearly when that internal counter is up, I will have issues. It won't be because BTTF, it will be because I renewed late.

Those BTTF games indeed work offline. While I did this, my GF was online downstairs on my livingroom PS3 playing LBP Karting. I only take those machines online to update any trophies I get every few weeks. Sometimes it's just a Blu-Ray player for my Bedroom as all my TV's are HD.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Yes.

SolidTy

That's odd because if you check my profile I have that 5 Episode Back to the Future series and I have 100% in all of them but the last I have 90%. I own 3 PS3s.

Two of them are always offline, disconnected so as to not screw up my main livingroom PS3 which is always online.

Those games I played in my offline Bedroom PS3, and I am always offline in there.

I've owned Two PS3's since PS3's launch just like I bought 2 360s at 360 launch.

PS3 PSN is like PC's Steam just like XBL Gamertag in that you can't be logged in the same account at the same time. That's why other PS3's are always offline. I picked up a third PS3 in 2009ish, for the Bedroom.

If you turn on another PS3 with your PSN, it will boot out the other PS3. I learned real fast if I was playing games with friends, if my lady turned on another PS3, I would be booted. So I turned those PS3's off except for my main.

I don't know what issue you ran across, but it certainly doesn't seem to be the norm for PSN. I've never run across that issue you speak of, and I have over a hundred PSN games, and over 1000+ Downloads for PSN. The same for 360.

I get these machines at launch, so I've had time to aquire games. My Wii was maxed out in games in the first year.

I read your post last night, and I checked last night my Back to the Future games upstairs on my offline PS3.

Those BTTF games indeed work offline. While I did this, my GF was online downstairs on my livingroom PS3 playing LBP Karting. I only take those machines online to update any trophies I get every few weeks. Sometimes it's just a Blu-Ray player for my Bedroom as all my TV's are HD.

It might be different if you bought them instead of downloading them from PS + section, or, in my case, it might be because I have had PS + for a long time (more than a year) and the dated subscription period ran out, but since I still have PS + I have continued access to it when I sign in.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]If you are playing PS + software that you downloaded for free, you have to sign in to play some titles, like the Back to the Future games. If you can't get online for whatever reason, your PS3 will think the subscription has run out and it prevents you from playing it until you log back in.

Bigboi500

PS3 PSN is like PC's Steam just like XBL Gamertag in that you can't be logged in the same account at the same time ONLINE. You can however have the same PSN account offline. That's why other PS3's are always offline. I picked up a third PS3 in 2009ish, for the Bedroom.

PSN does not require me to log online at all to play Back to the Future.

PS+ has a counter on the games. If I had to guess, you were going through some sort of renewal process at the time. I can see a counter on my games, 600 days or whatever. So, clearly when that internal counter is up, I will have issues. It won't be because BTTF, it will be because I renewed late.

It might be different if you bought them instead of downloading them from PS + section, or, in my case, it might be because I have had PS + for a long time (more than a year) and the dated subscription period ran out, but since I still have PS + I have continued access to it when I sign in.

I suspected before that it may have been a renewal issue. After reading your post, it seems to be the case.

I believe it's that the dated sub period ran out, and needed renewed.

I can't honestly remember if these were a Free PS+ download or if I did buy them since I do have so many games. I can only confirm that I don't need to be online to play them.

So, that mystery will remain. I did check the expiration time, and there was no limit set, but some free PS+ don't use that expiration counter so I'm not sure. (Press Triangle on game instead of X to see info).

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#37 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Pysical anyday of the week.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
Physical always. The only time I use digital download is when there is DLC I want or if there is an XBLA game or something. But on the other hand, sometimes you see the XBLA games you wanted that are put on a disc with a collection of other games, so I will just get that instead at some point.
anirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 anirin
Member since 2011 • 69 Posts

I prefer physical copy, unless the download is relatively small. I don't have an amazing Internet connection and there's a bandwidth limit on it (not sure how much but it's enough without going crazy).

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I prefer digital download nowadays. They're all in my hard drive, so it saves a lot of space in my bedroom.

GamerwillzPS

This. I'm out of shelf space, I never even looked at the boxes after the day I got them, and I don't need to swap discs

MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
PC: Digital Download Console: Physical Copies
Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

These days I prefer digital downloads. I got rid of my PlayStation 3 (my last console) a number of months ago and since then been on PC, on which I use Steam (and a tiny bit of Origin). With a big enough hard drive, I'm never concerned about space and I like not having any boxes kicking around.

rimau79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rimau79
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Digital Download. No need to use the disc, no need to worry about it in the future.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wiouds

Digital Download. No need to use the disc, no need to worry about it in the future.

rimau79

In the last few years the only games I can no longer play are DD games. SO DD make me more worry.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Physical copies for consoles.

Digital copies for pc.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
Depends. My Xbox stopped playing discs long ago, so I'm forced to go digital until I get a new one. On PC, I don't see a point in physical copies when I can just point to Steam and say "LOOK AT THAT, OUR LORD AND SAVIOR".
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 XaosII

Can someone explain to me the mentality of "On consoles: Physical, on PC: Digital" Because i really don't get it.

You either realize the massive advantages on the PC's DD systems and would rather have it on consoles; Or you are one of those that simply prefer physical copies, and would like them to be on the PC.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wiouds

Can someone explain to me the mentality of "On consoles: Physical, on PC: Digital" Because i really don't get it.

You either realize the massive advantages on the PC's DD systems and would rather have it on consoles; Or you are one of those that simply prefer physical copies, and would like them to be on the PC.

XaosII

Because there is no massive advantages of DD to start with, there no reason to want DD on the consoles.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 XaosII

Because there is no massive advantages of DD to start with, there no reason to want DD on the consoles.

wiouds

Well, if you discount the fact that you dont need to worry about discs getting ruined, its more convenient to purchase them, a single button launches the game instead of having to get the disc, the games tend to be priced much cheaper, they take up no shelf space, they automaticall update themselves in the background instead of just when you are about to play them, hundreds of games fit in a hard drive thats smaller than two dvd cases, in the event of any kind of major damage - games are tied to your account and cna be redownloaded without fear of them being unusable, developers are less constrained by video game sizes, game files are easier to modify for the modding community, and you can access your games from anywhere with an internet connection, then yeah, i guess DD has no massive advantages.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SolidTy

XaosII

Physical Console : Collection Value for standalone games, the ability to play those games on various systems without worrying about an online connection, future planning for the removal of console services to move from one generation to the next, trading and borrowing games with family, and resellability for the used market.

As much as I love my Starcraft II and Diablo 3, neither are not worth anything on the used market.

I have hundreds of DD PC games, and I have hundreds of DD Console games on PS360Wii. However, the console DD games aren't available at retail, or I would have bought them that way every time without fail. I enjoy Steam, but I don't have all my eggs in one basket.

My copy of Starcraft N64 and my copy of Diablo on the original Playstation are both worth money for instance...and even if they weren't, I can gift them quite easily.

I love SC and Diablo on my four PCs at my house, but the lack of a used market hurts gaming on my PCs.

So, that's how the mentality works for me. I like to buy exclusives for my PCs. I have a huge collection of console games as well, many of those games are worth a pretty penny.

Also, DD sucks up costly HDD space. That's a bummer, they save money not printing the game on a format like Blu/DVD, and have us hold the game on our HDDs and still have the nerve to charge us full retail price (I only buy discounted DD games to offset that alone, which means I wait).

To be honest, I can't understand the mentality of throwing money away for a higher framerate and better resolution now. I have the hardware, and it's a big sacrifice to lose the used game markeet. Of course, it depends on the games which I research heavily.

I have a large family as well, and I can't imagine not being able to let my brothers, cousins, nieces, nephews, uncles, aunts, and more borrow my games if I wanted them too.

I do tolerate it though, because to each their own.