OVERhyped game of the year

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bloodcow666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 bloodcow666
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts
posting some awards on my blog so I wondering if there are any nominations for overhyped game of the year
matthewjackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 matthewjackman
Member since 2006 • 407 Posts

Well the reaction to bioshock "only" getting 9.0 should put it in the right league. However I have a feeling (and judging from your avatar you might object) Halo 3 might win. No matter how good that game is the hype is unbelievable for a game which I assume won't radically deviate from being a standard FPS.

However for a game that it's company just keeps banging on about.....Motorstorm. Just let it go Sony, let it go.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#3 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Lair.

General thoughts were 8.0 ish (not mine).

Reality = 4.5

pigonthewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 pigonthewing
Member since 2003 • 380 Posts

Think he means game that was hyped up but didnt meet expectations. Bioshock was always had a bit of hype but its true hype didnt come around till the crazy reviews. So it wasnt overhyped because the majority of players think it met expectations or at least most of them.

Lair perhaps. It got lots of press but apparently it failed horribly according to critics. Honestly though the most hyped games are due out in the next coming months. If Mass Effect, Halo 3, Assassins Creed, or Call of Duty 4 fail then that would get most overhyped cause all 4 of those games are hyped. Though im quite sure all will be good though Assassins creed i am waiting for review before buying.

Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
I would go with Lair. It was generally hyped 8.0 ish, and totaly bombed.
feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 feel_freetwo
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
well halo 3 is going to be a overhyped game no matter what. they simply cant do all that much with the francise to exceed the high expectations. but lair clearly was over hyped. at least critically it got a bashing, however it could sell well enough to justify its hyped. because in all it wasnt hyped all that much, when compared to many games.
maddog95376

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 maddog95376
Member since 2002 • 214 Posts
Lair...'nuf said.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Halo 3, Mass Effect, Strangehold, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
LordGamer0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#9 LordGamer0001
Member since 2004 • 8752 Posts
yeah halo 3 is always gonna be overhyped... with it expectations of being the best game in existence im sure its gonna let some people down. but the fanbase is so big it will still be numbe one or number two for game of the year.
Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hulabaloza
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts

I gotta admit Halo 3 is overhyped, and I'm one of the people who will probably rack up 1000+ games on XBL playing it.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fs_metal
Member since 2005 • 25711 Posts
Halo 3. IT will suck just like the first 2
excuseYOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 excuseYOU
Member since 2007 • 58 Posts

Halo 3 - it's a slightly better than average FPS. Even online, and yes, I went there. (And yes I have a 360)

Lair - I rented it for my PS3 and it is GARBAGE.

EdiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EdiD
Member since 2005 • 115 Posts

Halo 3, Mass Effect, Strangehold, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. majadamus

I'm just going to pretend that you didn't say Mass Effect.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fs_metal
I didn't notice/. Mass Effect?! You can't be serious! Everything Bioware does is amazing
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Do you mean overhyped and turning out to be disappointing? Lair wasn't THAT hyped so I can't say it was that big of a disappointment. Now BLUE DRAGON is one that I'm surprised nobody mentioned: Made by the creators of final fantasy, character design by the same guy who did DBZ and DQ8, supposed to make the 360 a legitimate player in the Japanese market, and then it turns out to be just an all-around medioce jrpg.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts
I didn't notice/. Mass Effect?! You can't be serious! Everything Bioware does is amazingfs_metal

Tell that to Jade Empire.
Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

I didn't notice/. Mass Effect?! You can't be serious! Everything Bioware does is amazingfs_metal

Hmm..i dont think everything they make is amazing...Jade Empire anyone?

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SemiMaster

Do you mean overhyped and turning out to be disappointing? Lair wasn't THAT hyped so I can't say it was that big of a disappointment. Now BLUE DRAGON is one that I'm surprised nobody mentioned: Made by the creators of final fantasy, character design by the same guy who did DBZ and DQ8, supposed to make the 360 a legitimate player in the Japanese market, and then it turns out to be just an all-around medioce jrpg.UT_Wrestler

Have you played it? Sounds like you made up your mind completely from the review alone and weren't going to play the game in the beginning.

The reviewer had it in for JRPG games from the start. It's not an AAA game due to no groundbreaking features, but it's a solid well done beautiful turn based RPG.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]Do you mean overhyped and turning out to be disappointing? Lair wasn't THAT hyped so I can't say it was that big of a disappointment. Now BLUE DRAGON is one that I'm surprised nobody mentioned: Made by the creators of final fantasy, character design by the same guy who did DBZ and DQ8, supposed to make the 360 a legitimate player in the Japanese market, and then it turns out to be just an all-around medioce jrpg.SemiMaster

Have you played it? Sounds like you made up your mind completely from the review alone and weren't going to play the game in the beginning.

The reviewer had it in for JRPG games from the start. It's not an AAA game due to no groundbreaking features, but it's a solid well done beautiful turn based RPG.

Blue Dragon may be a decent/good game, but I think a lot of people were expecting a lot more, given the names associated with it.

Even though I wasn't overly interested in it, I'd probably cast my vote for Lair. That game didn't turn out so well, did it?

Boostd4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Boostd4
Member since 2006 • 167 Posts

As much as I will probably enjoy Halo 3...I think people are building it up to be the greatest game ever. Eh...I think it will be very similar to Halo 2...fun...but nothing earth shattering.

So....Halo 3 gets my vote...with Lair being a very close 2nd.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
Very few informed people are building Halo up as the greatest game ever, and yes it is overyhyped (probably) as is all of the Halo's just because of the buzz that surrounds the series with even top name celebs reportedly playing the game. However, I definitely think Bungie will deliver an AAA game, the AI is amazing, the multiplayer is gonna be even better with all of the customization and newly added features (oh yeah it was already great BTW), and the only thing left up in the air is basically the story...Now if you wanna talk about overhyped games of this year Lair is one of them, Blue Dragon is one of them on some level (with all of those top name contributors its parts are actually much greater than its sum), and although it is not out yet I do think Killzone definitely needs some AI work unless it wants to be the next.
Xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Xshinobi
Member since 2003 • 3011 Posts

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]I didn't notice/. Mass Effect?! You can't be serious! Everything Bioware does is amazingLidve

Jade Empire was a awesome game.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SemiMaster
[QUOTE="Lidve"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]I didn't notice/. Mass Effect?! You can't be serious! Everything Bioware does is amazinganime-2k3

I think the whole topic idea is that "Awesome" doesn't cut it when only absolutely amazing will.

lucky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lucky326
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts
Let the possible flaming begin I say Crysis.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SemiMaster

Let the possible flaming begin I say Crysis.lucky326

At first I thought so too.

But after seeing game demos and footage, I'd believe this game will live up to the hype... if you have a Cray Supercomputer to run the damn thing.

matthewjackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 matthewjackman
Crysis will live or die on graphics alone - thats been the whole point since the beginning. So I don't see it flopping unless it has framerate issues or such.
SolidSnaku401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidSnaku401
Member since 2007 • 139 Posts
Mmm. Lair? Even if it is as underrated as many claim it is, it still doesn't make up for the massive amount of hype that surrounded it.
Mop_it_up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mop_it_up
Member since 2005 • 2412 Posts
Overhyped: Halo 3 Underhyped: Metroid Prime 3 Seriously, Microsoft knows how to sell a game. Nintendo, doesn't.
matthewjackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 matthewjackman
I just remembered that at E3 there was quite a mixed reaction to the Assasins Creed demo. I know that's a work in progress but......
_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]I didn't notice/. Mass Effect?! You can't be serious! Everything Bioware does is amazingsyztem

Tell that to Jade Empire.

Jade Empire isn't amazing, but it is great. I have complete faith in Mass Effect.

My pick is Heavenly Sword.

NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts
Halo is definately gonna win that. Especially when a competent reviewer such as The Gerstmann will do the review.
weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

Let the possible flaming begin I say Crysis.lucky326

no, you're right on with this one. I can see the hype that Crysis has if it was a sequel with proven gameplay and fun, but Crysis is just videos and hype right now, and a LOT OF IT.

weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

Crysis will live or die on graphics alone - thats been the whole point since the beginning. So I don't see it flopping unless it has framerate issues or such.matthewjackman

That's why it is more likely than not way turbo-over-hyped... GRAPHICS DO NOT EQUAL FUN

CodeMunki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CodeMunki
Member since 2002 • 2740 Posts

My pick is Heavenly Sword.

_Tobli_
I have to agree. I don't own a PS3, but even I am disappointed in Heavenly Sword. It looked fantastic when they first showed it at last year's E3. I really thought it would be the first must-have for the PS3. Turned out not so much.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Halo 3 WILL be one of the best games to come out this year unless something goes horribly wrong. I don't it is being overhyped as much as it is well-marketed unless you count Mountain Dew flavors as hype.

Right now, the most overrated game for me is Bioshock. A 9.0 is totally right, but tons of sites and magazines are giving this game 10s and not pointing out obvious flaws like the broken death system, lame AI, and very mediocre combat outside of the plasmids.

J_J_Efferies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 J_J_Efferies
Member since 2007 • 229 Posts

Yeah for most overhyped so far I would have to say lair, it really didn't meat expectations. But if i were you I would put lair under "Most returned to EB games for store credit"

lol

J_J_Efferies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 J_J_Efferies
Member since 2007 • 229 Posts

Halo 3 WILL be one of the best games to come out this year unless something goes horribly wrong. I don't it is being overhyped as much as it is well-marketed unless you count Mountain Dew flavors as hype.

AtomicTangerine

I agree with that part of it

cwagmire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cwagmire
Member since 2003 • 3398 Posts
For Halo 3 to live up to the hype, it would have to score a 12 on GS.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 fs_metal

AtomicTangerine
Such as it being a part of the Halo series
-OmegaKnight-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -OmegaKnight-
Member since 2002 • 22957 Posts
Even Halo 3 won't be able to live up to the enormous hype that surrounds it. Halo 2 was so utterly disappointing that I could care less about how this one turns out. I will definitely rent it for sure but I am not one of those people who is convinced this is going to be the end all of games and will camp outside my local GameStop at 12 am to buy it.
EazyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 EazyB
Member since 2003 • 7944 Posts

I really don't see how anyone could ask Bungie to shove any more awesomeness into Halo 3, the list of features is rediculous: 4 player co-op online; saved films, maps, screens, gametypes; Bungie Recommends; Forge; the Meta-game; and they haven't even revealed their new Bungie.net features. This is how you do a sequel, couldn't expect any more. So is Halo 3 being over-hyped? I think not, at least it isn't among many of the hardcore who quickly jump to Halo 2 as an excuse as to why Halo 3 will be "mediocre".

As for what I think is the most overhyped, well most of the hyped games have yet to be released so it's hard to judge. Based on what I'm hearing on the boards, COD4 is recieving way more hype then is warrented. "putting the pressure on Bungie", I think not.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
Well, Medal of Honor Airborne was my personally overhyped game. I thought it was going to be great, but after playing the demo I see it's nothing special. Overall, definately Lair :)
towie777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 towie777
Member since 2007 • 162 Posts
heavenly sword most overhyped game ever especially the mention of it being like God Of War
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MKHavoc
Member since 2007 • 1100 Posts
Lair. I never even understood the hype for it. All I knew was that you flew on a dragon and controlled it with the sixaxis. The graphics were pretty good, but that was it. There was nothing really special about it.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#45 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
[QUOTE="anime-2k3"][QUOTE="Lidve"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]I didn't notice/. Mass Effect?! You can't be serious! Everything Bioware does is amazingSemiMaster

I think the whole topic idea is that "Awesome" doesn't cut it when only absolutely amazing will.

Well when you can say that Jade Empire is the worst game you've ever made, you've got a damn good track record.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts
Assassin's Creed - Unless there have been some major changes since the last time I saw it (E3, I think it was), this game definitely won't be AAA. As it is, it doesn't look anywhere near as good as it should be.
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts

Don't you actually have to play a game to determine if the hype matches the product or not? This just seems like an excuse to hate on the major holiday releases for the most part.

So far I'd say mine is Crackdown (83% @ gamerankings), it got plenty of pub for the whole beta key thing plus people like Luke Smith and Major Nelson rambling about how addicting it was. Despite the fun of jumping around like a superhero it was a positively soulless open ended world with bad music, no story, no variety, nothing to do but lock on and shoot the hordes of thugs that stood in the way of your next thug shootout. Good ideas, incomplete product, not worth the hype.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

Overhyped: Halo 3 Underhyped: Metroid Prime 3 Seriously, Microsoft knows how to sell a game. Nintendo, doesn't.Mop_it_up

microsoft... does what... nintendon't!?

@ the crackdown comment above, i found the opposite to be true. that game was anti-hyped with everyone saying it would only sell because of halo. i in fact bought the game and never touched the beta. i enjoyed it. there was a crappy story and the main quest was not fleshed out, but all of the things you could do on the side made the game worth the money to me.

trophylocoste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 trophylocoste
Member since 2006 • 8454 Posts
Bioshock was very hyped
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points