Originality in games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

enix15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 enix15
Member since 2005 • 290 Posts
Now you've heard how people want orginality and just unorginal , mostly describing shooter number 6 or rpg number 8. Seeing great different games like katimari damace and okami and other games from the last gen I probably forgot to mention. We're games like these the peak of orginality or just the tip of the iceberg to come in this next generation. What do you think?
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Dude, Okami = Zelda with its own special brand of cel-shading. It's awesome, but original it is not.

On that note, I don't think people want original games that much. Just look at how many people say X game (usually something like Psychonauts or Beyond Good and Evil) is so original, I want X2. Every game was original at one point.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#4 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Dude, Okami = Zelda with its own special brand of cel-shading. It's awesome, but original it is not.

On that note, I don't think people want original games that much. Just look at how many people say X game (usually something like Psychonauts or Beyond Good and Evil) is so original, I want X2. Every game was original at one point.

AtomicTangerine

But the brush usage was original!

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts
[QUOTE="AtomicTangerine"]

gamingqueen

About as original as Link using two hookshots at once... Oh wait, I mean clawshots.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#6 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"][QUOTE="AtomicTangerine"]

AtomicTangerine

About as original as Link using two hookshots at once... Oh wait, I mean clawshots.

Show me a vid!

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Originality is hard to come by these days. Even so, original games turn out weird for the sake of trying to be too original.

I think we'll see more redefining than original. Mario Galaxy, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, etc., aren't really original but just redefined.

I think as a FPS, Bioshock could be considered original, but it is still a shooter/adventure type of game.

I think recently, Shadow of the Colossus had the most original gameplay idea and design that was also a great game.

stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#8 stafax
Member since 2005 • 1596 Posts
I don't think originality is such a huge concern/demand, but the feeling of something fresh instead. What I mean is basically, people don't want to play the same thing over and over. For example: ww2 shooters. There will ALWAYS be fans of these games, but after so many ww2 games, people are losing interest. I honestly don't remember that many people getting hyped over COD 3. It got good review scores, and people got it, but I don't think it did as well as COD2. But now that COD4 came into play, people are and have been hyped about that. Nothing new or original about it, but it brings a fresh feel to the game. So I don't think it's a matter of the game being original or not, just whether it feels fresh and doesn't feel like the last game.
ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#9 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts

AtomicTangerine
I agree. Like most things, the marjority usually likes the familiar. There's a few titles that become break-away hits. I think Katamari Damacy was an origital game, and it did well enough for a sequel. More often than not however, the original gets lost in the crowd.
mynameisjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mynameisjr
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Personally I would rather have a really fun game then a ****ty one that has original gameplay mechanics
johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts
if you want to break a game down to it's bare bones then no game is actually "original" anymore, you can relate almost any game to a game that's been done before somehow......it's just how well they do with what they got that matters