360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Alright before you go all postal and say Superman 64 hear me out. If spiderman and batman can get decent to great games made I feel like the man of steel is up for his good game. Now I think that Rocksteady could do a great job developing the game but who knows. I think if someone could make the game in gameplay terms like Prototype and still have a decent story like the Arkham series. I think the Open World Superman game could be good. Thoughts and ideas people?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#2  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Superman's too much of a spaz to have a quality game. No developer can tame him.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Superman 64

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Meh... hes too powerful for a game...... besides the guys who made Prototype are out of business......

Damn I loved those Canadian Bastards. :(

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

In order for a Superman game to be worthwhile, the developers need to design a decent system for his flight ability and super speed. Sega has had years of difficulties with making a successful 3D Sonic game to make super speed manageable, so they would need to make some changes to succeed with a Superman game, critically.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

I don't buy the "he's too powerful" argument. Superman surely has weaknesses, and there are more than one way to present challenge to the player through indirect means (saving people, etc).

I hope Rocksteady does TMNT in the vein of the Arkham games. Either that or a brutal Punisher game. Even Judge Dread would be amazing, like based on the last film. I'm really looking forward to hearing what they're up to next.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

Because of the freedom of superman's movement it would take a seriously talented developer to encapsulate it all in one game. Great games need to have limits on what you can do and superman seems to defy limits - because there's so much he can do.

I can't think of any good third person action games that allowed you the freedom to fly anywhere you wanted to in the game - at least not with the ease that superman is able to. It seems to me that designing an open world game with a freeform flight system combined with some awesome fighting and power mechanics is such a huge challenge its no wonder its never been done before.

When it comes to super hero games I think the Batman series is really the only game in town. It makes all other super hero games pale in comparison. Its rare enough to have a super hero game and even rarer still to have a triple A experience that is fun to play.

However In the past I did enjoy the X-men Legends and Marvel Ultimate alliance series of games.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

@MirkoS77: i think you nailed it with the indirect approach to challenges (there was a very similar thread on this a while back).

superman is, to all intents and purposes, a god. he has his achilles heal of course but you cant design an entire game around that one weakness.

his strength, speed etc. make him a completely over powered game character. im not sure if there is a hard and fast rule for how much of a beating superman can take or how hard he can hit (there is a limit but it seems to be a bit of a moving target) but i wouldnt bother having a health bar if i was the developer. then there is super speed, xray vision, heat vision, being able to create a storm by blowing out heavily etc.

the game can not have a situation where superman can be killed by some thug with a crowbar. the argument that its a kryptonite crowbar is just a cheap cop out.

so i think the key is making the player responsible for the well being of metroplis and its citizens. its easy to go in, clobber the crap out of some titan and save the day. but if you rip half of metropolis apart in the process and kill 10,000 citizens....not exactly doing a good job of being superman.

to be honest i dont think we could have had a decent superman until now. not even the PS3 or 360 would be suitable. but the X1, PS4 and modern PCs just may be enough to get the job done. plenty of ram, plenty of hard drive space and disc space and good enough GPU and CPU.

a TNMT game by rocksteady would also be very cool.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

Didn't superman returns have open world flying and stuff?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

There's a pretty good one on the Nintendo 64

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56237 Posts

I remember that Rocksteady talk about working on a Superman game when there done with Batman for good but after watching Man of Steel, [and it's my all time favorite movie so don't hate] I can only hope Superman get's his own game cause he's overdue. Superman Return was not bad, it was unappreciated.

You gamers sure love to talk about Superman 64 so much but I never played it and I miss out on that game so I can't comment on it.

Russells12abc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Russells12abc
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

@davillain-: I am new to superhero games and I love spiderman!

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts

You can play as Supez in the lego movie game which has some open world levels. And there's good old Supez 6'4" which, as you said, is one of the definitive classic games of the fifth generation.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The scale required of such a game is beyond most budgets these days. At least with Batman, he can be contained to a small section of a "city". While Superman can travel between planets within a blink of an eye.

It would be awesome to have a "proper" Superman game... but it's just well beyond any developer to make and represent Superman properly.