Old School Video Game Help - Any DOS Game Gurus on Here???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bacncsu8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bacncsu8
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I've been searching for the name of this old DOS game I used to play but haven't had any luck finding it. It was was back in the day (mid-late 80s) when I played games like 3-Demon, Rogue, Jump Joe, and Q-Bert. You were basically a big smiling face with little feet that ran around an assortment of levels avoiding enemies using the arrow keys. There was some strategy in the game where you could remove a block of floor next to you where an enemy would fall in or to access items that you needed to pass each level. You couldn't remove the floor directly below you... only one space to the side... so you could easily get stuck in a hole you made. There were also a lot of ladders in the game. There were tons of different levels (and worlds I think). There wasn't any music while you were playing but there were sound effects and a short little intro song (which is stuck in my head!) before every level. I also distinctly remember different types of floor that either made you run faster or slower (pink floor was slower).

I know this description kinda sux... but any help would be GREATLY appriciated!

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
well the only thing that sprung to mind was this game horace is it what you were looking for.
Avatar image for bloody1f4knight
bloody1f4knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 bloody1f4knight
Member since 2006 • 4922 Posts
oh man.. i remember those days. It was such a fun thing to play but to be honest, I wouldn't play them. By the way, I did play Jump Joe.. haha such a fun game!!
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

The game sounds like one of the many versions of Lode Runner.

bacncsu8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bacncsu8
Yes! Thankyou Black_Knight_00. It was a variant of Lode Runner... unfortunately I couldn't find a variant that looked much like the one I used to play (which looked totally cooler than the original game) I guess I'll have to find my old assortment of 5.25 inch floppies =P
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Black_Knight_00

Yes! Thankyou Black_Knight_00. It was a variant of Lode Runner... unfortunately I couldn't find a variant that looked much like the one I used to play (which looked totally cooler than the original game) I guess I'll have to find my old assortment of 5.25 inch floppies =Pbacncsu8

Maybe you won't need to. I'll do some more research and see if I can find the exact game you described. Stay tuned for more details.

bacncsu8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bacncsu8

That would be pretty sweet if you could find it... just a bit more info:

I don't know the technical name (maybe EGA graphics)... but the color scheme was primaraly made up of different shades of pinks, blues, and yellows... similar to pc zaxxon or q-bert. Hope this helps the search!

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Black_Knight_00

That would be pretty sweet if you could find it... just a bit more info:

I don't know the technical name (maybe EGA graphics)... but the color scheme was primaraly made up of different shades of pinks, blues, and yellows... similar to pc zaxxon or q-bert. Hope this helps the search!

bacncsu8

It does, but even more helpful would be if you could rmember anything else about the main character (e.g. colour, remarkable details or animations...) or the enemies.

By the way, it turns out it's not an official lode runner game, must be some kind of unknown ripoff, which makes the search almost impossible (unless you can even vaguely remember any little part of the title).

bacncsu8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bacncsu8

hmmmz... keep in mind I was 7 maybe 8 when I played this game, but I do recall the character being entirely white, a noticable smile on its face (the face was basically the entire body) and some vertical lines looking like spikey hair. I remember the cheesy music completely... but I don't think that helps you =P Also... I'm pretty convinced that the game was made by someone associated with a university, but don't know which one... I don't remember the name, but if I saw it, I know I would recognize it. It seems like the name was two words and one of those words being a name... but that part is pretty vague in my mind...

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black_Knight_00

I found this russian website with a ton of lode runner clones. I don't think you'll find it there, because I understand these are remakes. Try clicking some links, as each one leads to a screenshot (not the first nor the third).

Let me know if any of those looks like the one you are looking for.