Obsidian to pitch Star Wars RPG.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by spike6958 (4794 posts) -

Well I didn't see anything else about this so thought I would post it.

In an interview with Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Obsidian's CEO Fergus Urquhart, is aparantly about to start talks with LucasArts/Disney to work on a Star Wars RPG set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/08/new-republic-obsidian-actively-pitching-more-star-wars/

Sounds interesting to me, I just hope that unlike with KotOR II: The Sith Lords, they are allowed to work at there own pace and actually finish the game instead of been forced to ship a broken product,

#2 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

I really hope this happens. Now we just need someone to make Battlefront 3...

#3 Posted by spike6958 (4794 posts) -
Agree, we need both these games. Though I have to wonder who could make Battlefront 3 now. If we had the old Unreal Tournament Epic, I'd maybe suggest them, but as it is I just don't know who could do it right.
#4 Posted by Sstrawberryjam (21 posts) -

Woo! Hopefully this gets made, Star Wars needs a good game after the dumbness that was Force Unleashed 1&2

#5 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
Yes please.
#6 Posted by Deadpool-n (467 posts) -

Well it isn't exactly a sequel to Kotor, but sweet! Sounds promising. Now like everyone else says, onto Battlefront 3! and maybe eventually a Republic Commando sequel.

#7 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18414 posts) -

I really hope this happens. Now we just need someone to make Battlefront 3...

Vari3ty
This.
#8 Posted by dkdk999 (6738 posts) -
Wow obsidian is a awsome company lately.
#9 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15592 posts) -
Obsidian making an RPG is a good thing, Obsidian making an RPG without an engine used by Bethesda and for a franchise that they have already done well with is a very good thing.
#10 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

Despite the fact that KOTOR 2's bugs, crashes and freezes still wake me up at night, it was still a very, very, very good game. If they are given enough time, this new game could be amazing.

#11 Posted by Travo_basic (38751 posts) -
I want this to happen... As long as there is enough development. To this day, I still haven't finished Kotor II because of a game crippling bug.
#12 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

YES! 

Its not KOTOR 3 but its close.

#13 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18478 posts) -
set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hopespike6958
A clever way to avoid paying royalties to any of the actors from either trilogy
#14 Posted by Solid_Snake325 (6091 posts) -
What's with all this hate for Kotor 2? I thought it was an amazing game. I can't even recall when it glitched up or anything. Granted it wasn't as good as the first one, but it's nowhere near as bad to actually complain about it.
#15 Posted by GeneralMufinMan (368 posts) -
Interesting, will definitely be looking into this. Wonder if it will be more fallout-style or KOTOR-style
#16 Posted by spike6958 (4794 posts) -
What's with all this hate for Kotor 2? I thought it was an amazing game. I can't even recall when it glitched up or anything. Granted it wasn't as good as the first one, but it's nowhere near as bad to actually complain about it.Solid_Snake325
Kotor 2 wasn't finished. Obsidian has confirmed this. There was a lot they where forced to cut from the game, because LucasArts wanted the game out in time for the Christmas rush. It was still a great game, but if they'd been allowed to work on it at there own pace, and have the game 100% complete before shipping it could have been so much better, and probably would have been better than the original. (also there is a lot of bug's in it, testing for bugs is one of the things they didn't have time to do)
#17 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18478 posts) -
[QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"]What's with all this hate for Kotor 2? I thought it was an amazing game. I can't even recall when it glitched up or anything. Granted it wasn't as good as the first one, but it's nowhere near as bad to actually complain about it.spike6958
Kotor 2 wasn't finished. Obsidian has confirmed this. There was a lot they where forced to cut from the game, because LucasArts wanted the game out in time for the Christmas rush. It was still a great game, but if they'd been allowed to work on it at there own pace, and have the game 100% complete before shipping it could have been so much better, and probably would have been better than the original. (also there is a lot of bug's in it, testing for bugs is one of the things they didn't have time to do)

Not to mention a weaker cast and some serious pacing issues
#19 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71864 posts) -
i think it could be interesting
#20 Posted by Namgis (3577 posts) -

I'm all for a SW RPG, but that time period is too close for what Disney has planned for their newest set of films. I don't think they'll go for it. Why not take a que from the Kotor series and set it hundreds of years BBY. Not a decade. As long as they have a good developmental window to finish the game and aren't rushed, then by all means go for it.

#21 Posted by dkdk999 (6738 posts) -
can you guys imagine how many awsome star wars games would already be made if there was no intellectual property. It's a waste having the awsome star wars universe and no one is able to make games for it.
#22 Posted by wiouds (5208 posts) -

can you guys imagine how many awsome star wars games would already be made if there was no intellectual property. It's a waste having the awsome star wars universe and no one is able to make games for it. dkdk999

It would suck in many ways as well. If anyone can set a game in Star Wars universe then we will see countless games set there with many just banking on the name.

#23 Posted by dkdk999 (6738 posts) -

[QUOTE="dkdk999"]can you guys imagine how many awsome star wars games would already be made if there was no intellectual property. It's a waste having the awsome star wars universe and no one is able to make games for it. wiouds

It would suck in many ways as well. If anyone can set a game in Star Wars universe then we will see countless games set there with many just banking on the name.

I feel star wars games are already horrible just banking on the name.
#24 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18478 posts) -

[QUOTE="dkdk999"]can you guys imagine how many awsome star wars games would already be made if there was no intellectual property. It's a waste having the awsome star wars universe and no one is able to make games for it. wiouds

Star Wars is pretty much spent, in my opinion. After 35 years of movies, games, books, comics and fanfiction, it'd take a drastic turn to produce something fresh. My idea is they should ignore the Jedi/Force aspect altogether and write a completely different story, which is what seems to be happening with 1313. Here's hoping.
#25 Posted by dkdk999 (6738 posts) -
[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="dkdk999"]can you guys imagine how many awsome star wars games would already be made if there was no intellectual property. It's a waste having the awsome star wars universe and no one is able to make games for it. Black_Knight_00

Star Wars is pretty much spent, in my opinion. After 35 years of movies, games, books, comics and fanfiction, it'd take a drastic turn to produce something fresh. My idea is they should ignore the Jedi/Force aspect altogether and write a completely different story, which is what seems to be happening with 1313. Here's hoping.

So you hope the new star wars game is completely different from star wars ?
#26 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18478 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="wiouds"]

dkdk999

No... They should skip the overused aspects of the franchise (see: Jedi) and focus on mercenaries and bounty hunters.

#27 Posted by dkdk999 (6738 posts) -

[QUOTE="dkdk999"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Star Wars is pretty much spent, in my opinion. After 35 years of movies, games, books, comics and fanfiction, it'd take a drastic turn to produce something fresh. My idea is they should ignore the Jedi/Force aspect altogether and write a completely different story, which is what seems to be happening with 1313. Here's hoping.Black_Knight_00

No... They should skip the overused aspects of the franchise (see: Jedi) and focus on mercenaries and bounty hunters.

Alright, well I doubt their going to abandon jedi completely, people love them too much.
#28 Posted by Travo_basic (38751 posts) -

[QUOTE="dkdk999"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Star Wars is pretty much spent, in my opinion. After 35 years of movies, games, books, comics and fanfiction, it'd take a drastic turn to produce something fresh. My idea is they should ignore the Jedi/Force aspect altogether and write a completely different story, which is what seems to be happening with 1313. Here's hoping.Black_Knight_00

I'd buy that, a RPG game that focuses on a bounty hunter and the contracts that he's hired to return/kill.
#29 Posted by dkdk999 (6738 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

[QUOTE="dkdk999"] So you hope the new star wars game is completely different from star wars ? Travo_basic

I'd buy that, a RPG game that focuses on a bounty hunter and the contracts that he's hired to return/kill.

Well you could play the swtor bounty hunter storyline.
#30 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

Wouldn't really be Star Wars without some kind of Force aspect to it. If you want to play a game thats all about mercenaries and bounty hunters etc there are thousands of alternatives.

#31 Posted by wiouds (5208 posts) -

There been a few Star Wars games that that have not been without a playable Jedi. Shadow of the Empire comes to my mind. I read Star Wars book where the force was down played.

I also understand that the force is the most defining part of Star Wars. It would be like talking about Warhammer 40k without including chaos. The force users are the individual that have normally had the most control

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2011/10/29/counter-monkey-all-jedi-or-no-jedi/

He does make some point. Look around 13:40.

I am more worry about how they will handle the gun fights and out of combat skills.

#32 Posted by lamprey263 (23972 posts) -
let's wait and see how Stick Of Truth turns out before we get all excited by this news