Obsidian to pitch Star Wars RPG.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Well I didn't see anything else about this so thought I would post it.

In an interview with Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Obsidian's CEO Fergus Urquhart, is aparantly about to start talks with LucasArts/Disney to work on a Star Wars RPG set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/08/new-republic-obsidian-actively-pitching-more-star-wars/

Sounds interesting to me, I just hope that unlike with KotOR II: The Sith Lords, they are allowed to work at there own pace and actually finish the game instead of been forced to ship a broken product,

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I really hope this happens. Now we just need someone to make Battlefront 3...

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 spike6958
Agree, we need both these games. Though I have to wonder who could make Battlefront 3 now. If we had the old Unreal Tournament Epic, I'd maybe suggest them, but as it is I just don't know who could do it right.
Sstrawberryjam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sstrawberryjam
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Woo! Hopefully this gets made, Star Wars needs a good game after the dumbness that was Force Unleashed 1&2

Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

Well it isn't exactly a sequel to Kotor, but sweet! Sounds promising. Now like everyone else says, onto Battlefront 3! and maybe eventually a Republic Commando sequel.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

I really hope this happens. Now we just need someone to make Battlefront 3...

Vari3ty
This.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
Wow obsidian is a awsome company lately.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#9 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Obsidian making an RPG is a good thing, Obsidian making an RPG without an engine used by Bethesda and for a franchise that they have already done well with is a very good thing.
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

Despite the fact that KOTOR 2's bugs, crashes and freezes still wake me up at night, it was still a very, very, very good game. If they are given enough time, this new game could be amazing.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I want this to happen... As long as there is enough development. To this day, I still haven't finished Kotor II because of a game crippling bug.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

YES! 

Its not KOTOR 3 but its close.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hopespike6958
A clever way to avoid paying royalties to any of the actors from either trilogy
Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Solid_Snake325
Member since 2006 • 6091 Posts
What's with all this hate for Kotor 2? I thought it was an amazing game. I can't even recall when it glitched up or anything. Granted it wasn't as good as the first one, but it's nowhere near as bad to actually complain about it.
Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts
Interesting, will definitely be looking into this. Wonder if it will be more fallout-style or KOTOR-style
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 spike6958
What's with all this hate for Kotor 2? I thought it was an amazing game. I can't even recall when it glitched up or anything. Granted it wasn't as good as the first one, but it's nowhere near as bad to actually complain about it.Solid_Snake325
Kotor 2 wasn't finished. Obsidian has confirmed this. There was a lot they where forced to cut from the game, because LucasArts wanted the game out in time for the Christmas rush. It was still a great game, but if they'd been allowed to work on it at there own pace, and have the game 100% complete before shipping it could have been so much better, and probably would have been better than the original. (also there is a lot of bug's in it, testing for bugs is one of the things they didn't have time to do)
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"]What's with all this hate for Kotor 2? I thought it was an amazing game. I can't even recall when it glitched up or anything. Granted it wasn't as good as the first one, but it's nowhere near as bad to actually complain about it.spike6958
Kotor 2 wasn't finished. Obsidian has confirmed this. There was a lot they where forced to cut from the game, because LucasArts wanted the game out in time for the Christmas rush. It was still a great game, but if they'd been allowed to work on it at there own pace, and have the game 100% complete before shipping it could have been so much better, and probably would have been better than the original. (also there is a lot of bug's in it, testing for bugs is one of the things they didn't have time to do)

Not to mention a weaker cast and some serious pacing issues
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#19 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i think it could be interesting
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#20 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I'm all for a SW RPG, but that time period is too close for what Disney has planned for their newest set of films. I don't think they'll go for it. Why not take a que from the Kotor series and set it hundreds of years BBY. Not a decade. As long as they have a good developmental window to finish the game and aren't rushed, then by all means go for it.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dkdk999
can you guys imagine how many awsome star wars games would already be made if there was no intellectual property. It's a waste having the awsome star wars universe and no one is able to make games for it.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

can you guys imagine how many awsome star wars games would already be made if there was no intellectual property. It's a waste having the awsome star wars universe and no one is able to make games for it. dkdk999

It would suck in many ways as well. If anyone can set a game in Star Wars universe then we will see countless games set there with many just banking on the name.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dkdk999

[QUOTE="dkdk999"]can you guys imagine how many awsome star wars games would already be made if there was no intellectual property. It's a waste having the awsome star wars universe and no one is able to make games for it. wiouds

It would suck in many ways as well. If anyone can set a game in Star Wars universe then we will see countless games set there with many just banking on the name.

I feel star wars games are already horrible just banking on the name.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="dkdk999"]can you guys imagine how many awsome star wars games would already be made if there was no intellectual property. It's a waste having the awsome star wars universe and no one is able to make games for it. wiouds

Star Wars is pretty much spent, in my opinion. After 35 years of movies, games, books, comics and fanfiction, it'd take a drastic turn to produce something fresh. My idea is they should ignore the Jedi/Force aspect altogether and write a completely different story, which is what seems to be happening with 1313. Here's hoping.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dkdk999
[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="dkdk999"]can you guys imagine how many awsome star wars games would already be made if there was no intellectual property. It's a waste having the awsome star wars universe and no one is able to make games for it. Black_Knight_00

Star Wars is pretty much spent, in my opinion. After 35 years of movies, games, books, comics and fanfiction, it'd take a drastic turn to produce something fresh. My idea is they should ignore the Jedi/Force aspect altogether and write a completely different story, which is what seems to be happening with 1313. Here's hoping.

So you hope the new star wars game is completely different from star wars ?
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="wiouds"]

dkdk999

No... They should skip the overused aspects of the franchise (see: Jedi) and focus on mercenaries and bounty hunters.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dkdk999

[QUOTE="dkdk999"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Star Wars is pretty much spent, in my opinion. After 35 years of movies, games, books, comics and fanfiction, it'd take a drastic turn to produce something fresh. My idea is they should ignore the Jedi/Force aspect altogether and write a completely different story, which is what seems to be happening with 1313. Here's hoping.Black_Knight_00

No... They should skip the overused aspects of the franchise (see: Jedi) and focus on mercenaries and bounty hunters.

Alright, well I doubt their going to abandon jedi completely, people love them too much.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts

[QUOTE="dkdk999"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Star Wars is pretty much spent, in my opinion. After 35 years of movies, games, books, comics and fanfiction, it'd take a drastic turn to produce something fresh. My idea is they should ignore the Jedi/Force aspect altogether and write a completely different story, which is what seems to be happening with 1313. Here's hoping.Black_Knight_00

I'd buy that, a RPG game that focuses on a bounty hunter and the contracts that he's hired to return/kill.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dkdk999
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

[QUOTE="dkdk999"] So you hope the new star wars game is completely different from star wars ? Travo_basic

I'd buy that, a RPG game that focuses on a bounty hunter and the contracts that he's hired to return/kill.

Well you could play the swtor bounty hunter storyline.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Wouldn't really be Star Wars without some kind of Force aspect to it. If you want to play a game thats all about mercenaries and bounty hunters etc there are thousands of alternatives.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

There been a few Star Wars games that that have not been without a playable Jedi. Shadow of the Empire comes to my mind. I read Star Wars book where the force was down played.

I also understand that the force is the most defining part of Star Wars. It would be like talking about Warhammer 40k without including chaos. The force users are the individual that have normally had the most control

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2011/10/29/counter-monkey-all-jedi-or-no-jedi/

He does make some point. Look around 13:40.

I am more worry about how they will handle the gun fights and out of combat skills.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts
let's wait and see how Stick Of Truth turns out before we get all excited by this news