Oblivion - PC vs 360 (The Age Old Question)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mon_bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 mon_bus
Member since 2007 • 147 Posts
Hello every one,
I have both the PC and Xbox 360 version of oblivion, and I am not sure which one to play (and I am sure you all hate me now because this question has been asked a million times before :p ). My PC is below average, but according to system requirements lab test, has passed both minimum and recommended (just barely) requirements. However, after comparing my PC with the Xbox version, the Xbox version runs much smoother and looks better. While the Xbox wins it in terms of looks, I read that there is a ridiculous amount of Mods that have been released for the game on the PC, making the experience much, much better. So which should I play, the PC version with all the Mods it has to offer, or the smoother, prettier 360 version?

Here are my PC specs (copied/pasted from system req labs as I am quite illetrate when it comes to hardware specs):

CPU
2 processors running - Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz

CPU Speed
2.80 GHz Performance Rated at 4.20 GHz

System RAM
1023.2 MB

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra (GeForce 6800 Ultra)

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
spiltmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 spiltmilk
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts

Hello every one,
I have both the PC and Xbox 360 version of oblivion, and I am not sure which one to play (and I am sure you all hate me now because this question has been asked a million times before :p ). My PC is below average, but according to system requirements lab test, has passed both minimum and recommended (just barely) requirements. However, after comparing my PC with the Xbox version, the Xbox version runs much smoother and looks better. While the Xbox wins it in terms of looks, I read that there is a ridiculous amount of Mods that have been released for the game on the PC, making the experience much, much better. So which should I play, the PC version with all the Mods it has to offer, or the smoother, prettier 360 version?

Here are my PC specs (copied/pasted from system req labs as I am quite illetrate when it comes to hardware specs):

CPU

CPU Speed

System RAM
1023.2 MB

Video Card

Any help is appreciated, thanks!mon_bus

Umm, the PC has much better graphics, not sure why you think the 360 does, just your system.blivion is much better on PC, mods alone make the PC version ten times better.

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
One of the best advantages of the PC version over the 360 version is the mods, especially the ones that lets you adjust aspects of the game some fans were turned off about....such as mods that let you change whether the game auto-levels with you.
Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#4 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

I haven't touched the 360 version of the game in months, mainly due to lack of mods and relatively poor performance (which isn't generally noticible unless you just finished playing it on the PC) With mods I have enhanced the game visually in many ways, not to mention modded the UI to be more PC-oriented - which also shows more detail in less time. I've also modded spellcasting, to allow for remapable spell-shortcuts, and the ability to execute a spell just by pressing the hotkey (more like how WoW or Guild Wars works). To top it all off, I have modded the game to have the women look less like skinny men with wide shoulders and tiny hips, and added little mods, like one where I can enchant the Dragon Armor you get at the end of the main quest. The PC version is just plain superior. And I can't wait to upgrade my PC to run everything on max and get 60 fps at all times :D

Myrkan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Myrkan
Member since 2004 • 1304 Posts
Play it on the PC, you'd be sacrificing a lot of gameplay depth from downloadable mods just for a smoother framerate. Your computer isnt bad at all, Oblivion is just a demanding game. I'd say go for PC, slightly better framerate on Xbox isnt enough to make you not want mods.
Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#6 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Umm, the PC has much better graphics, not sure why you think the 360 does, just your system.blivion is much better on PC, mods alone make the PC version ten times better. spiltmilk

The PC has better graphics in some areas, but you really need Quarl's Texture Pack to make the game look like it "should" since they really didn't work on the PC graphics as much as they should have.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Look up the mods first. Most mods tend to be complete garbage, but occasionally you come across some good ones. I have the PC version but to date, I've played no mods nor have any desire at this time. But I haven't checked the oblivion boards for the latest mods.
gifteddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 gifteddie
Member since 2007 • 567 Posts
got it for the ps3. I hate it I am not a fan of rpgs but so many people said get it even if you dont like rpgs well I got it.....and I was really bummed
spiltmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 spiltmilk
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts

Look up the mods first. Most mods tend to be complete garbage, but occasionally you come across some good ones. I have the PC version but to date, I've played no mods nor have any desire at this time. But I haven't checked the oblivion boards for the latest mods.sonicare

Ttoal BS, there are Hundreds of high quailty mods for Oblivion, without mods the game becomes bland very quickly.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
You can mod and tweak the PC version. Giving you both increased performance and beauty and fix broken content issues.

Playing the 360 version when you have access to Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul would be an atrocity.
hogthershod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 hogthershod
Member since 2003 • 4227 Posts

360 Version - Achievements! No install process and no need to tweak. XBL service makes it pretty easy to download the extras. Menus work pretty well with a 360 gamepad.

PC Version - Mods! Tweakable to your hearts content. If you have the PC power, looks much better. No rumble or 360 controller support, but much easier to aim with bows and spells.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
The game should look better on your 360 because of your rig, but PC version has mods.
Myrkan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Myrkan
Oh yes, and Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul is one of the best Oblivion mods ever. It totally ups the gameplay to a new level. And to whoever said that he was bummed with Oblivion because he hated RPG's: You need to love RPG's to love Oblivion, or at least slightly like RPG's. ;) . . .
Ironfungus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ironfungus
Member since 2007 • 1123 Posts

Hello every one,

CPU

CPU Speed

System RAM
1023.2 MB

Video Card

Any help is appreciated, thanks!mon_bus

Well here's the thing. My PC specs are as follows:

Graphics Card: Radeon X1950 Pro (256mb)
Processor: AMD Athlon 2x 64-bit 4600+
RAM: 2GBs 800mhz

I can max out most games currently out right now, such as Call of Duty 4, and run them with perfect performance. Oblivion lags my computer to hell. I can run it maximized, but there's more screen tear than there should be. It's a horribly optimized game for the PC, but the PC version does have mods where the Xbox does not.

The Xbox 360 clearly runs it better, but the PC version has mods, which are awesome.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#15 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
I might as well ask this here--what are some recommended mods?
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts
Well I have the game on both 360 and PC and on Pc i downloaded a mod that improves the bump maping, draw distance, the vegetation, adds 300 new monsters ( do not do it...the new beasties are crazy powerfull and can turn up anywhere) oh and a high res pack which replaces the low res textures with 4000xsomething resolution ones. But remember it is a mod and Oblivion was never a smooth experiance so the performance takes a hit even on my 8800GTX.
Myrkan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Myrkan

Well here's the thing. My PC specs are as follows:

Graphics Card: Radeon X1950 Pro (256mb)
Processor: AMD Athlon 2x 64-bit 4600+
RAM: 2GBs 800mhz

I can max out most games currently out right now, such as Call of Duty 4, and run them with perfect performance. Oblivion lags my computer to hell. I can run it maximized, but there's more screen tear than there should be. It's a horribly optimized game for the PC, but the PC version does have mods where the Xbox does not.

The Xbox 360 clearly runs it better, but the PC version has mods, which are awesome.

What are the exact specs you are on? I can run the game at 1024x768 Bloom, 8x AA High texture pack max draw distance on an 8600GT 1.0GB and a sluggish AMD Athlon 3200+. Sure it may not be max, but it looks pretty damn good. Better than the Xbox 360 in fact. And with Natural Environments and Quarl's Texture Pack it looks even better. Maybe your just pushing it a bit too much, tone it down a bit and it will still look a bit better than the 360 for you with less framerate dips.

Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Roris0A
Member since 2007 • 627 Posts
I would honestly get the xbox 360 version. It will run and look a lot better than it would on your 6800. And mods are kinda overrated =/. there I said it. I've spent hours trying to get some running after multiple unistalls of Oblivion but that was just my experience.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxhound_fox
I would honestly get the xbox 360 version. It will run and look a lot better than it would on your 6800. And mods are kinda overrated =/. there I said it. I've spent hours trying to get some running after multiple unistalls of Oblivion but that was just my experience. Roris0A

I ran the game quite well on a ATI 9600XT (on Medium with a playable framerate) and was able to install mods quite easily. A 6800 should run it very well considering it is one of the quality 6800's. The instructions provided with all the mods I got were extremely well written and very descriptive. The only way you could fail at getting them to work is to not follow the instructions and just putting stuff anywhere. Not to mention, extracting files into a single folder really isn't hard... :|

Here is an amazing selection of mods for Oblivion.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicare"]Look up the mods first. Most mods tend to be complete garbage, but occasionally you come across some good ones. I have the PC version but to date, I've played no mods nor have any desire at this time. But I haven't checked the oblivion boards for the latest mods.spiltmilk

Ttoal BS, there are Hundreds of high quailty mods for Oblivion, without mods the game becomes bland very quickly.

I've not found hundreds of high quality mods for oblivion. Everyone keeps referring to these awesome mods, but no one ever lists a single one. Honestly, I'd like to know what they are - I have the game for my PC as mentioned. There were some decent mods for Morrowind, but not "hundreds". And generally,most games get bland once you play through it. I don't think Oblivion is the type of game that will keep someone hooked indefinitely - mods or no mods.

Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Roris0A

[QUOTE="Roris0A"]I would honestly get the xbox 360 version. It will run and look a lot better than it would on your 6800. And mods are kinda overrated =/. there I said it. I've spent hours trying to get some running after multiple unistalls of Oblivion but that was just my experience. foxhound_fox

I ran the game quite well on a ATI 9600XT (on Medium with a playable framerate) and was able to install mods quite easily. A 6800 should run it very well considering it is one of the quality 6800's. The instructions provided with all the mods I got were extremely well written and very descriptive. The only way you could fail at getting them to work is to not follow the instructions and just putting stuff anywhere. Not to mention, extracting files into a single folder really isn't hard... :|

Here is an amazing selection of mods for Oblivion.

lol I downloaded the oblivion mod manager and got rly confused with it and unistalled it. and when I tried to install the mods the old way, which is very easy, all of oblivion's files were in BSA format =( That rly irritaded me. But In the end I found out how to work the mod manager without screwing up. So yeah Like I said it was just my experience. I was in a rush at the time and now it is super easy for me.

The main reason I'm suggesting the 360 version is because of his system. When I first got it I had that card and I don't think it did oblivion justice when I went to my friend's house and saw him playing on his 360.

Let me change my post. It boils down to this if you want a million of cool mods that change everything from you chars boob size (o_0) to the graphics of the environment and don't care that your graphics won't up against the 360 version but still look decent then get it. Otherwise get the latter if you want the best graphics/performance.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 foxhound_fox
Otherwise get the latter if you want the best graphics/performance.Roris0A

Some mods and tweaking for the PC version increase performance while limiting graphical sacrifices. That's the beauty of being able to change the game to suit the hardware instead o being forced to play what the developer gives you.
Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Roris0A
Ah haven't tried out any of those now that I can enjoy oblivion with a 8800gts hehe. but I do use the latest version of qarl's texture pack and its graphics/performance ratio is extremely good.
nutDAVE3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 nutDAVE3
Member since 2003 • 18277 Posts
Hello! Generally these threads aren't allowed because most professional reviews of the game (or a quick Google search) reveals the answer. Plus, you can always compare screenshots! ;)