No more in game instructions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JReefer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 JReefer1
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts
This is most evident in Resident Evil 4 , when a flashing button comes on the screen telling you to press a particular button(ex. A,X,Right trigger). This isn't the only game that does this ,some games tell you to press "c" to crouch for example. And it sucks that you cant turn this feature off most of the time. I think all information should be in the instruction manuel, or even on aseparate instructional disc in some cases. Only information that I want to know while playing is "vital" information ( ex. health status, ammo status, and a map if needed). Look here, I mean if your playing the second game in a series or even a veteran player do you really needed to be informed on what button press.
Avatar image for qazwsxedcrfvtbg
qazwsxedcrfvtbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 qazwsxedcrfvtbg
Member since 2006 • 67 Posts
it so if you losing manual it still not hard for play game. but maybe they can having seperate training mode so they not annoying to persons like you.
eazycomez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 eazycomez
Member since 2005 • 2521 Posts

it so if you losing manual it still not hard for play game. but maybe they can having seperate training mode so they not annoying to persons like you. qazwsxedcrfvtbg

huh

Avatar image for qazwsxedcrfvtbg
qazwsxedcrfvtbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 qazwsxedcrfvtbg
Member since 2006 • 67 Posts

huh

eazycomez
sometime you can buying used game and not get manual. that suck so it good to have them putting in but it not have to be part of main game if it annoying other people.
Avatar image for deactivated-582d495c81bdf
deactivated-582d495c81bdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 deactivated-582d495c81bdf
Member since 2008 • 751 Posts
Ya the controls maybe different.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Technically what you mention about RE4 are Quick Time Events, not instructions because you have to react in order to survive. However, I do agree that QTE's need to go. They have never been fun nor productive... especially when you mess up.

There are ways of doing in-game tutorials properly... a good example of such being The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay.
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

Technically what you mention about RE4 are Quick Time Events, not instructions because you have to react in order to survive. However, I do agree that QTE's need to go. They have never been fun nor productive... especially when you mess up.

There are ways of doing in-game tutorials properly... a good example of such being The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay.foxhound_fox

QTE's are good when done right. I really suck at QTE's, and find them annoying in there current stage. I think developers need to lean towards QTE's adding entertainment instead of adding a challenge. Still I think QTE's have a ton of potental in games if used thoughtfully. Most of the time I find myself so focused on the buttons that I completely miss the action.

QTE's should

1. rarely kill the player or restart a scene they've previously encountered.

2. reward players that are good at QTE w/ items, or awesome cut scenes.

3. always be intuitive to the action on the screen (technically you shouldn't even need the pop-up commands).

4. never distract the player from enjoing the game.