No Final Fantasy games for Xbox 360

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Yama
Member since 2002 • 34151 Posts

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/794/794164p1.html

Looking for more Final Fantasy following the Xbox 360 port of Final Fantasy XI? Then you're going to have to look to a different next generation system. A Square Enix executive has disclosed to Japan's Nikkei BP that the company currently has no plans for Final Fantasy games on the 360.

Noting that the PS3 is getting Final Fantasy XIII, the website asked Square Enix's Shinji Hashimoto if the Wii or Xbox 360 will also be getting games in the series. "For the Wii, we have FF Crystal Chronicles in production," replied Hashimoto. "As for FF on the Xbox 360, it's currently a completely blank page."

Strong words from Hashimoto, although perhaps if everyone goes out and buys Last Remnant (that includes you!), Square Enix will have a change of heart.IGN

Let the debates end.

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts
No big deal to me, I never missed them. I have a PS3 but don't plan on buying any of the FF games anytime soon. Really its the same game over and over again I can skip that very easily and have no regrets about it.
Tiberius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tiberius
Member since 2002 • 1713 Posts
After FFXII, I'm not sure I really care about FF so much anymore.
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts
Honestly this does not come as a shock to anyone.

It was obvious FFXI was only a one shot attempt and a half assed one at that.
Coldplay07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Coldplay07
Member since 2002 • 4513 Posts
I'd rather there not be 10 years of FFXIII on 360. 10 years goes into the next cycle and possibly the one after that. Seems ridiculous to me and I'll be surprised if they continue it.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44684 Posts

Well that's a shame. I'm sure a proper Final Fantasy game could sell quite well on the system and make them a good bit of coin. Oh well though it looks like I'll still get my JRPG fix on the 360 from other developers. For me it's not too big of a deal since I've always been a multi-console owner and I'll surely get a PS3 sometime in the future so I'll still get to play the Final Fantasy games but I can't help but think that they are missing some really good opportunities here by not branching the series out as a multiplatform title.

ninjiijitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ninjiijitsu
Member since 2007 • 670 Posts

I'm positive the next gen mmorpg is a final fantasy game. They just need to smack a final fantasy name on it.

vix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 vix
Member since 2003 • 2803 Posts
damn, i looked and i didn't see it in the list. ah well. at least this ends all the bs everywhere. :)
CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CooVee
Member since 2005 • 2161 Posts
I never played a Final Fantasy game before so I am pretty sure i'll be fine.
DaveGray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 DaveGray
Member since 2002 • 1551 Posts

I don't play FF, so I don't care either way, but this doesn't even seem like news.  All that was said that there are no plans.  That does not necessarily mean exclusivity.  It just means that there are no current plans.

--Dave 

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised to see it move platforms if Final Fantasy fails to sell terribly well in either Europe or America. If it's only Japan that the title has problems in, well, moving the game to the 360 won't solve anything.

If they're going to make any plans, they'll likely do so after Christmas. After all, I don't see this game shipping this year. So they get all of 2007 to see where the console wars are going. If the PS3 continues to lag far behind its competition in all three territories, then I would expect them to start considering a port.

It's an interesting spot for Square to be in. They've traditionally had the Final Fantasy games on the console of the market leader. Hard to predict how they'll react. They might assume that they were the primary reason for the success of past consoles, and assume that Final Fantasy XIII will solve what ails the PS3. Or, considering the investment they're putting into the PS3, they might hedge their bet with a 360 version. Maybe they'll get really crazy and try making a Wii version, though honestly, with its probable use of extensive FMV, I don't know if the Wii would be able to hack even a dumbed down version.

I'm also curious to see where they'll put Final Fantasy XIV. They could theoretically build the game ground-up for any one of the three systems, so I wonder if they'll stick with Sony, or move to Microsoft's or Nintendo's camp with that one... 

nuttybar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 nuttybar
Member since 2005 • 9624 Posts
Well...that's not terribly surprising.  Even if they started making FF13 for the 360 now it wouldnt be out till 2009 earliest and by then Microsoft will be hyping up the Xbox 3.  At least the 360 is getting some support from Square-Enix with The Last Remnant and Project Sylpheed, which is cool.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Good for Sony. If FFXIII went multi-plat then the PS3 will be a zombie, dead but still alive.

But let's not forget that Sony got their big blow earlier with Dragon Quest coming to Nintendo. So FFXIII really is Sony's only hope...at least in Japan.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
SquareEnix puts a lot of money into their projects; it'll be interesting to see if the PS3's sales pick up to the point that they can recoup the cost.
Acenso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Acenso
Member since 2006 • 2355 Posts

Predictable really... Its quite obvious SE looks down upon 360.

The question comes in really though...After FFXII being the worst selling FF game since IV(Yes...4....5-X2 sold more). Does it really have the power people keep hyping it up to be? Lets also include how it is about a year and a half away at the earliest it seems. And really seems to be pretty much the only major gun PS3 has in Japan. They have a few others things...But I believe after how dissapointing Gundam Musou did. Its not looking pretty.

But also if we take alook at outside of Japan...JRPGs are vastly shrinking in size themself. WRPGs and MMOs are starting to come in. Before we used to have that almost complete cutoff...JRPGs on Consule. And WRPGs/MMOs on PC. Well...After WoW popularizing MMOs to a whole new level. And WRPGs invading Consule and starting to perform very well. JRPGs in general are going to have a fight.

I'm sure it will do fine and all. I'm not expecting that...OMG!! WE Broke!! lol. But...The sales are going to take another huge hit if they want to play the fanboy war. 

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ASK_Story

SquareEnix puts a lot of money into their projects; it'll be interesting to see if the PS3's sales pick up to the point that they can recoup the cost. MAILER_DAEMON

That's a great point and one that should worry them.

If I was a Square-Enix exec. I'd bring the series to the 360 only because next-gen development cost is so much that I'd do anything as a business to make the most money as I can.

There's absolutely no doubt that FFXIII would sell double, maybe even triple the amount of units if it was also on the 360. Same goes for MGS4.

Lee2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lee2000
Member since 2004 • 711 Posts
Final fantasy went down the toilet after 7.
TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#22 TonicBH
Member since 2004 • 720 Posts
It's not like they seriously needed a company to make JRPGs with, they have Mistwalker to do that for them.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

I'm not sure its anyone's loss................at this present time. If games like Lost Odessey and Blue Dragon sell like hot cakes outside of Japan while the PS3s limited userbase cripples sales numbers of FF XIII, SE might be singing a different tune.

I can see why SE would pass on the X360 right now. It woud be like advertising Bud Light on the Lifetime channel.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ASK_Story

I think the 360 is just fine on its own.

The inclusion of original RPGs that could be potential big time franchises is more appealing and better than a existing franchise we all know what to expect from. I'm more excited about Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey than anything Square-Enix is offering on home consoles because they are originals and not from the same guys who did FFVII, VIII, X, and X-2.

I want something new and different for a change. And having The Last Remnant as part of this makes the 360 a better system for RPGs than the PS3 at the moment.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MAILER_DAEMON
Final fantasy went down the toilet after 7.Lee2000
Funny, I always thought IX was my 2nd favorite FF game besides VI...
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

After FFXII, I'm not sure I really care about FF so much anymore.Tiberius

same, I say good riddens, let them start a new fresh series, FF needs to be put to rest. I've always thought that the series lost alot of personality over the years, and honestly I'm much more excited about fresher JRPG IPs such as Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, and Cry-ON (Everyone Probably Forgot About The Game).

siriusg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 siriusg
Member since 2003 • 32 Posts

I really think IGN needed some quick hits. 

"A Square Enix executive has disclosed to Japan's Nikkei BP that the company currently has no plans for Final Fantasy games on the 360. "

Not saying they do have an FF game in development for the 360, but if they did, they sure as hell would not reveal it in a random gaming mag interview. If they have an FF game, it will be unveiled by Microsoft at E3 or one of their major press conferences/game shows. Kind of like GTA4.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I see this as awesome news of Sony, but a stupid move on Squares part. Having the title go fully multiplatform would have many benifits for them, not the least of which would be expanding their fanbase and sales dramatically. What could their motivation be to stay exclusive to the PS3? Either way ill be getting the game because it looks truly amazing and a plan to have my ps3 mid next year anyways so it dosent matter to me what system it comes out on really, I just think this is a stupid move squares part. Finally Dvader I agree that Blue Dragon and Lost Odyessey seem to be getting a free pass on everything because they are Jrpgs on the 360, and both look pretty bland and generic to me.
Yama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Yama
Member since 2002 • 34151 Posts

FF needs to be put to rest.HiResDes

If Final Fantasy XII wasn't your cup of tea I wouldn't look the total other way just yet. The approach of FFXIII is completely different. I like most of the FF worlds, but prefer the futuristic (ex:FFVII) and FFXIII is going that route and then some. Also, while the battles certainly look pretty, it seems to be an advanced ATB, opposed to FFXII's RTB system. I enjoyed FFXII, in fact I'm still playing it and have logged in over 130 hours, but I prefer the style FFXIII is going for.

In response to the user who brought up how much impact will the game make, in regards to the PS3's success; it can go either way. However, to compare it to FFXII is un-fair in so many ways. For one, while good, it didn't get rated as well as it's predecessors. Secondly, I admit the series on PlayStation 2 was becomming somewhat stale. But let's remember the impact FFX made on the PlayStation 2, I can see FFXIII 'wowing' everyone infinitely more and it may just make a big impact because of it.

Serge-Chrono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Serge-Chrono
Member since 2007 • 691 Posts

Honestly this does not come as a shock to anyone.

It was obvious FFXI was only a one shot attempt and a half assed one at that.hot114

I wouldn't say that when a lot of people still play it. Hell, its the only FF game that I liked excluding tatics and 8

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts
Thats a real shame. I would have liked to try the new one.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I have both systems, so it's all the same to me. But if I didn't, I wish I could say I still cared what Square does. I'm not even very interested in The Last Remnant (a fitting name for a Square title in these eyes), which looks like a cross between Final Fantasy and Dynasty Warriors/Ninety-Nine Nights. Same goes for Final Fantasy XIII, which is the first title in history to have, like, forty-two spinoffs planned before it's even out, which tells me all I need to know about where Square's head is. After playing XII, I plan on picking up XIII (and ONLY XIII, no Versus or spinoffs) only after a demo is released. Contrast that with the old days, where I would buy anything with the Final Fantasy name on it sight unseen, and it's easy to see where my head is.

I think it's a very dumb move for Square, though. But that's nothing new. I think they honestly think Final Fantasy will save the PS3 in Japan, and while I think they're high, it'll be both interesting and amusing watching them try.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Good, the exclusivity concept is not dead yet.

dirktu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#35 dirktu
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts

Capcom: "we have a RE exclusivity deal with Nintendo"

Before RE4 even reached the European shores, Capcom stated: "RE4 will also be on PS2"

I don't think S-E will be any different than Capcom. If it doesn't sell as well as they expect they'll even port it to the Wii for that matter.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MAILER_DAEMON

Before RE4 even reached the European shores, Capcom stated: "RE4 will also be on PS2"

I don't think S-E will be any different than Capcom. If it doesn't sell as well as they expect they'll even port it to the Wii for that matter.

dirktu
Actually, they announced that a few weeks before ANY version of RE4 came out. They slighted the GC version's sales quite a bit with that. It might happen with this game, but I don't see it. Like ShameUs said, SquareEnix probably thinks that they can "save" the PS3 in Japan with this game. Should be interesting to see what happens.
Spirolli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 Spirolli
Member since 2005 • 100 Posts

[QUOTE="Tiberius"]After FFXII, I'm not sure I really care about FF so much anymore.HiResDes

same, I say good riddens, let them start a new fresh series, FF needs to be put to rest. I've always thought that the series lost alot of personality over the years, and honestly I'm much more excited about fresher JRPG IPs such as Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, and Cry-ON (Everyone Probably Forgot About The Game).

Well, I wish SE would restart the Chrono series.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MarcusAntonius

But of course its on the 360 so people just like it better.dvader654

If we could keep the MS bashing down to a minimum, that would be just dandy.

As far as your other snippy comment about "this thread is going just as I thought" or whatever, I'm not sure you're being realistic about the modern state of SE. Downplaying the effect of SE this gen is toally legit. You know I'm a huge RPG gamer and I honestly have no interest in playing FF XII until it becomes a "Greatest Hits" addition despite its lofty (read: fluff) ratings.

I already got burned by FF X, Valkyrie Profile 2, Star Ocean 3, and the rest of SE's non-FF games this past gen were fairly nondescript (argueably one could say the same thing about FF X). Is it any wonder why many gamers are rapidly considering SE, the EA Games of RPG developers? No wonder these guys are trying so hard to live off of their past.

The RPG community has every reason to take a "I'll believe it when I see it" approach to The Last Remanant. I'm not saying that Blue Dragon and Lost Odessey should be given a free pass in that regard, but your comment about how they look like generic RPGs comes off as someone who's trying a wee bit too hard to slam anything MS releated, especially with Lost Odessey.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
So what you are saying marcus, is that Lost odessey and blue dragon have a better chance of being a hit than FF XIII?  Just curious is all
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MarcusAntonius

So what you are saying marcus, is that Lost odessey and blue dragon have a better chance of being a hit than FF XIII?  Just curious is allF1Lengend

No, that would absolutely ridiculous, we haven't really seen enough material on any of those games for anyone to make such an absurd statement (well, unless they're playing Blue Dragon on a Japanese X360 of course). I just take issue with Dvader's statement which I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and attribute to his frustration with some of the rampant fanboy rhetoric that has run through GGD as of late.

Paul_TheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Paul_TheGreat
Member since 2004 • 9085 Posts
I'm not surpised.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MarcusAntonius

And yes I am exteremly angry, grrrr, arrrrrgh!

dvader654

Hey, I suggested you take a break from the forums last week, didn't I?;)

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
[QUOTE="dvader654"]

And yes I am exteremly angry, grrrr, arrrrrgh!

MarcusAntonius

Hey, I suggested you take a break from the forums last week, didn't I?;)

what are you crazy! Take a Break!

dirktu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#46 dirktu
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts
[QUOTE="dirktu"]

MAILER_DAEMON

Actually, they announced that a few weeks before ANY version of RE4 came out. They slighted the GC version's sales quite a bit with that. It might happen with this game, but I don't see it. Like ShameUs said, SquareEnix probably thinks that they can "save" the PS3 in Japan with this game. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Very interesting indeed!  Although they are denying it, I do think they are already considering ports (that's just good business).

@ someone who stated he/she hated all the spin-offs: yeah, I think that's pretty stupid as well... May help prolong the exclusivity of FF13 though ($$), and at the same time get to know a little bit extra about the potential of the different console markets

DeadlyZodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DeadlyZodiac
Member since 2007 • 1367 Posts

If the sales on the PS3 are abysmal, which is very possible, Square will likely end up porting FFXIII and Versus to the 360 at least for the U.S. and porting a downgraded version to the Wii. Square owes Sony one for financial help in the past so I'm sure any talk of FFXIII going anywhere else is hush-hush as of now.

Also I wouldn't really expect FFXIII to be released until 08-09 and by then the PS3's price could go down significantly, so only time will tell.

MrHoboX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MrHoboX
Member since 2004 • 1322 Posts
Im actually kind of sick of most of the RPG's of the past few years. Solid stories for the most part but I've never liked random battles (Yes I know there have been changes to the formula here and there). I'm praying SE wakes up and bring back Chrono Cross... Yeah fat chance in hell. Oh well at least XIII will look damn pretty I guess. I mean, that's what next-gen is about right pretty shiny things.
spiltmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 spiltmilk
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised to see it move platforms if Final Fantasy fails to sell terribly well in either Europe or America. If it's only Japan that the title has problems in, well, moving the game to the 360 won't solve anything.

If they're going to make any plans, they'll likely do so after Christmas. After all, I don't see this game shipping this year. So they get all of 2007 to see where the console wars are going. If the PS3 continues to lag far behind its competition in all three territories, then I would expect them to start considering a port.

It's an interesting spot for Square to be in. They've traditionally had the Final Fantasy games on the console of the market leader. Hard to predict how they'll react. They might assume that they were the primary reason for the success of past consoles, and assume that Final Fantasy XIII will solve what ails the PS3. Or, considering the investment they're putting into the PS3, they might hedge their bet with a 360 version. Maybe they'll get really crazy and try making a Wii version, though honestly, with its probable use of extensive FMV, I don't know if the Wii would be able to hack even a dumbed down version.

I'm also curious to see where they'll put Final Fantasy XIV. They could theoretically build the game ground-up for any one of the three systems, so I wonder if they'll stick with Sony, or move to Microsoft's or Nintendo's camp with that one...

Oilers99

Another person talking total mis-information? Do you have sales figures? You realise FF games sell extremely well in   north america?  Why do people post BS like fact when they do no even know the facts?