New Mass Effect Footage

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

You might indeed be tired of seeing footage of this game, but here is the latest showing of the game, I was curious myself to see how the game is coming along especially given the pattern of trouble developers have been having with the UE3 Engine...The game as always looks great, but I do have some questions about the combat still...I truly hope Bioware will be able to make me forget that I have a gun in my hand instead of a lightsaber.

LINK

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Arrgghhh me want so bad! *drooolz* Kneel before your bioware gods!
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HiResDes

Arrgghhh me want so bad! *drooolz* Kneel before your bioware gods!GodModeEnabled

Yeah everything looks better than I could have dreamed, although the facial animations during some of the speech were a little lacking...But it really is like 24 in outer space, I love the voiceover, and the script so far.

OremLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 OremLK
Member since 2007 • 745 Posts
Very awesome. It's definitely shaping up to be much more cinematic than any of BioWare's previous games. I like that.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Amazing stuff. This will be the sci-fi saga I've always dreamt about. But I couldn't help but to notice how one of the pilots referred to Shepard as a "he" when it was clearly a woman. Hope they sort it out before release.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HiResDes

Amazing stuff. This will be the sci-fi saga I've always dreamt about. But I couldn't help but to notice how one of the pilots referred to Shepard as a "he" when it was clearly a woman. Hope they sort it out before release.

UpInFlames

Oh man you're right I didn't even notice that, that would really get annoying after a while if all of the voiceover tracks were all set for a man...what would be the point of having the option to create a woman.

Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts
I am extremely impressed with the character models and animation as well as the amount of voice work. This will be a great game.
erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 erawsd
Member since 2002 • 6930 Posts
[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

HiResDes

Oh man you're right I didn't even notice that, that would really get annoying after a while if all of the voiceover tracks were all set for a man...what would be the point of having the option to create a woman.

You sure they weren't talking about the guy over the intercomm?

And was that Seth Green doing the voice?

VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
Looks good. Shame I wont be buying it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

Impressive I must say...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts
Yeah Seth Green is the pilots voice and god i hope this comes out for PC someday!
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GodModeEnabled
Yeah Seth Green is the pilots voice and god i hope this comes out for PC someday! 1005
I could see a very strong possiblity of this game going to the PC as well actually, but it would probably be a few months later or longer if at all.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
I have Mass Effect reserved and that footage did nothing to change my mind. Jade Empire was garbage, but Mass Effect looks like it will have little in common with that disaster and much in common with the classic KOTOR. Like KOTOR, it might be a game that raises the expectations of console gamers.
Pelicans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pelicans
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Arrgghhh me want so bad! *drooolz* Kneel before your bioware gods!

*DROOLS*
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

There's a hands-on feature at IGN. They played for about the first hour, and seemed ecstatic about the character creation feature, among other things. Read the thing here.

A few tidbits:

BioWare has shown off the Mass Effect character-creation process before, so we won't re-hash it in detail here. But we will say that it departs from most standard RPGs straight from the start screen. In many such games, you type in a character name and move directly to a skill allocation system. Do you want to add two points to dexterity or three points to constitution? Should your paladin start with strength of 16 or 17? Mass Effect has such a system, but you won't even touch it until you've fought a few battles. BioWare wants to tell a great story, personalized for the character you create, and the early setup sequence hammers that intention home.

Like its dialogue system, Mass Effect's approach to combat is to give the player layer upon layer of choice while trying to make the mechanisms for making those choices as streamlined as possible. Both systems are based on "wheels" - the dialogue wheel for conversation (more on that later), and the weapon wheel and power wheel for combat.

Movement in Mass Effect feels like a blend of Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, Rainbow Six Vegas and Gears of War, which is to say you have an over-the-shoulder view of your character, you can take cover behind objects by holding the thumbstick toward a wall or object, and you can hold down the A button to run quickly in short bursts before you get fatigued.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#16 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

You sure they weren't talking about the guy over the intercomm?H3LLRaiseR

Yeah, I think you are right. The guy on the intercomm is the Captain, Shepard's rank is Commander. Sorry everyone, false alarm. That just means this game is pretty much perfect. :wink:

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GodModeEnabled
Come on guys admit it, im not the only one taking the evil path through all three games am I? :evil:
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

Come on guys admit it, im not the only one taking the evil path through all three games am I? :evil:GodModeEnabled
I'm with you. Being the good guy is boring.

Gamespot killed my post the first try.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Absolutely amazing. Just mind-bogglingly good.

Bioware FTW.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

There's a hands-on feature at IGN. They played for about the first hour, and seemed ecstatic about the character creation feature, among other things. Read the thing here.

A few tidbits:

BioWare has shown off the Mass Effect character-creation process before, so we won't re-hash it in detail here. But we will say that it departs from most standard RPGs straight from the start screen. In many such games, you type in a character name and move directly to a skill allocation system. Do you want to add two points to dexterity or three points to constitution? Should your paladin start with strength of 16 or 17? Mass Effect has such a system, but you won't even touch it until you've fought a few battles. BioWare wants to tell a great story, personalized for the character you create, and the early setup sequence hammers that intention home.

Like its dialogue system, Mass Effect's approach to combat is to give the player layer upon layer of choice while trying to make the mechanisms for making those choices as streamlined as possible. Both systems are based on "wheels" - the dialogue wheel for conversation (more on that later), and the weapon wheel and power wheel for combat.

Movement in Mass Effect feels like a blend of Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, Rainbow Six Vegas and Gears of War, which is to say you have an over-the-shoulder view of your character, you can take cover behind objects by holding the thumbstick toward a wall or object, and you can hold down the A button to run quickly in short bursts before you get fatigued.

SteelAttack

I must say I really like the sound of that.

This is certainly going to be one hell of a game. Seriously if any game is going to get the coveted 10 here at GS I think this may very well be that game at least from what I've seen and heard on this thing.

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
pc gamers want this on their pc and if bioware says they arn't goingto be makingit to the pc pc gamers will be smashing biowares doors open with their keyboards