New Batman Arkham game to be revealed soon.Are you ready for another Batman game

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

knowing it is NOT being developed by Rocksteady? Rumors suggest WB Montreal is developing the game and it's supposed to be released later this year. 

I am VERY conflicted about this. Pawning a major franchise off to a second tier dev is never a good idea. I also have a feeling this game wouldn't be a true sequel, and more of retread of old ideas much like the Assassin's Creed spinoffs. That said, I love the Batman Arkham games and wouldn't mind playing another one later this year on next gen consoles. This also means a longer dev cycle for Rocksteady's next Batman game which will give them a chance to develop a true next gen game and a true sequel with lots of new ideas. 

What do you guys think?

Here is a link to the original story:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/13/new-batman-arkham-game-reveal-in-2-3-months-rumour/

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Don't kow how I feel about this. I'll wait for more details.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#3 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

Yep! I love the past 2 and I'm sure Rocksteady wouldn't let any subpar games come out under the banner. 

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I'll give it a look. I'm not too attached to Rocksteady anyway. Both the Arkham games are good but neither are anywhere near as good as their reputation, and I'd like to see a fresh take on the series. Arkham City didn't really feel like a game with a purpose anyway... I felt like it only existed because the first made a lot of money when I was playing it. It felt like it went to the semi open world "just because" and stapled together a lame story justification for it.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Yep! I love the past 2 and I'm sure Rocksteady wouldn't let any subpar games come out under the banner. 

immortality20

Rocksteady isn't developing it. They're working on a new comic book IP, allegedly based in the "silver age" of comics. The new Batman Arkham game will be developed by one of WB's in-house studios.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

I'm ready for another Batman game. But I see no logic in keeping the Arkham title. They won't rehash the Arkham City storyline, and setting it just in Arkham Asylum would be a major step back. I say ditch the Arkham name and just name it Batman....something. Or if they're feeling particularly unoriginal, Batman Gotham City.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

So what is Rocksteady working on? Is it actually another Batman game?

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

what ever happened about the rumor of Rocksteady developing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
The past 2 are pretty good, but I think I would pass on a third.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum despite not being much of a comic book fan. I'm not sure if I'll bother with Arkham City, just seems like they are milking it. Now a third Arkham game, that's just going overboard with it. That said, I'm glad that Rocksteady isn't chained to it (I don't understand why people don't want talented developers to branch out), although I am a bit disappointed that they're working on another comic book license. But I'm curious to see what it is.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#12 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Reserving judgement. I did read something that WB Montreal handled the Wii U version of Arkham City. If that's the case, they have some experience with the franchise. Of course, creating and porting are two entirely different skill sets...
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts

turtlethetaffer
Yes, better to wait. Some multiplayer would be nice.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I might be if they can bring something new and different. I kinda doubt they will, but I'm open to it.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I'll take a wait and see approach, not sure how a new developer will do. If impressions seem good I would pick it up though.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

Lulekani

no some multiplayer would be terrible

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

knowing it is NOT being developed by Rocksteady? Rumors suggest WB Montreal is developing the game and it's supposed to be released later this year. 

I am VERY conflicted about this. Pawning a major franchise off to a second tier dev is never a good idea. I also have a feeling this game wouldn't be a true sequel, and more of retread of old ideas much like the Assassin's Creed spinoffs. That said, I love the Batman Arkham games and wouldn't mind playing another one later this year on next gen consoles. This also means a longer dev cycle for Rocksteady's next Batman game which will give them a chance to develop a true next gen game and a true sequel with lots of new ideas. 

What do you guys think?

Here is a link to the original story:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/13/new-batman-arkham-game-reveal-in-2-3-months-rumour/

S0lidSnake

If Rocksteady ain't makin' it, I'm not interested. Period.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts

[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

Flubbbs

Disagree. Batman's universe is full of potentially great co-op partners and not enough games have local co-op play. Nightwing, Red Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman, Catwoman, Red Hood, Robin, etc. Imagine an open Gotham City where one player could freely explore the city in the Batmobile, while another stalks the rooftops as Nightwing. I'd buy a game like that.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#19 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

Lulekani

Don't know how I'd feel about that.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum despite not being much of a comic book fan. I'm not sure if I'll bother with Arkham City, just seems like they are milking it. Now a third Arkham game, that's just going overboard with it. That said, I'm glad that Rocksteady isn't chained to it (I don't understand why people don't want talented developers to branch out), although I am a bit disappointed that they're working on another comic book license. But I'm curious to see what it is.

UpInFlames

I would be disappointed if they weren't tackling Superman game next. Next gen should give them enough power to make a great looking open world superman game. 

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Not really convinced. Love Bats but not totally sold if Rocksteady is'nt doing it. 

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#22 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

S0lidSnake

I would be disappointed if they weren't tackling Superman game next. Next gen should give them enough power to make a great looking open world superman game. 

No, anything but Superman, please!

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulekani
[QUOTE="Flubbbs"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"] Yes, better to wait. Some multiplayer would be nice.famicommander

Disagree. Batman's universe is full of potentially great co-op partners and not enough games have local co-op play. Nightwing, Red Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman, Catwoman, Red Hood, Robin, etc. Imagine an open Gotham City where one player could freely explore the city in the Batmobile, while another stalks the rooftops as Nightwing. I'd buy a game like that.

Plus theres no guns, and no killing. If anything it would be nice change of pace, regardless of its reception.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I want to see some gameplay.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#25 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I'll wait until I see more gameplay footage.

Also, why do people feel the need to have multiplayer? Just because it needs to be like any other game that has multiplayer tacked on for the hell of it? Please!

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#26 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I'm a bit torn, I think a different superhero would work better at this point.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44394 Posts
Sure. If it's as good as the previous two games then I'll be all over it. If not then I'll just wait for Rocksteady's next game.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulekani
I'm a bit torn, I think a different superhero would work better at this point.Allicrombie
So long as Edward "The Riddler" Nigma stays, then I could care less who the hero/heroine is. Honestly. . . I didnt like the Batman anyway. World's greatest detective my foot !
JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts
Really liked Arkham Asylum but couldn't really get into City, gameplay just felt like more of the same, the narrative and pacing suffered from the open world design. Quite happy for Rocksteady to focus on a new project and let another developer handle thecash-in sequel. Maybe the new team will do something new with the franchise?
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#30 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I'll withhold judgment until I see some gameplay. A lot of people are quick to dismiss sequels without the original developer but I think it works just fine sometimes. Bioshock 2 and Sly 4 are two games I enjoy, for example.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44639 Posts
Despite everyone going overboard with praise for Arkham City, I thought Arkham Asylum was a superior game. I was never really a big Batman fan but I thought Arkham Asylum did an excellent job unlocking interesting tidbits of background info on characters from the comics and their backstory in a way that drew me in. Plus the game was better paced IMO, and the role of the Joker was much bigger and Mark Hamill does an excellent job voicing him, and Harley Quinn makes for a great sidekick. All the other villains were done really well. I just didn't get the same experience with Arkham City, Don't get me wrong, it's still enjoyable, there were some new things they did right, but it could have use more polish and maybe more content and refinement in story, and it seemed they were more interested in getting it out on time than getting it right, and that to me is a possible warning sign WBIE might try to milk this to death that really work at building a gaming franchise. Not to bash the franchise or the studio, no publisher is immune from such habits, but it's a shame nonetheless since they go through all this effort to create such an excellent first impression, then with follow up games there's not that same level of commitment.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

UpInFlames

Yeah if by milking you mean improving every single aspect 10 fold then indeed.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

Goyoshi12

A sequel every few years is clearly milking :P

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

IndianaPwns39

A sequel every few years is clearly milking :P

Clearly.

SwagKingCole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SwagKingCole
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I have been a Batman nerd since I was young. I thought the other games were pretty fun for the action and the strategy, but the stories were a bit goofy and the games were a bit too linear (I thought the side quests were boring so I could never be bothered to do them) for my tastes. If the sequel had more of an open world like Spiderman 2 and 3 then I'll be far more likely to get them at launch. As it stands now it is looking like one of those games that I wait until it is cheaper before I make the purchase. In my opinion, the others were fun, but they certainly are not worth $60.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

S0lidSnake

Lol no. A great looking Superman game? Sure. A great Superman game in general? Borderline impossible. Superman's abilities simply don't make for good, well balanced gameplay mechanics unless they tone down his powers a hell of a lot. And if they do that then what's the point since you won't really be Superman anymore. If Rocksteady somehow do something godly and defy all logic by making a Superman game that has great gameplay mechanics and makes you feel like Superman, I'd be over the moon. But I just don't see it happening.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

As much as I liked Arkham Asylum and City, I will not play this game unless it does something ambitious, which it most likely wont

MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

I liked Arkham Asylum but wasnt blown away by it which is why I waited a full year to buy Arkham City. I like Batman, so as long as the game is good I'll play it but I wont be getting it day one or even Year One.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17680 Posts
No Rocksteady, so the only interest I have in it is in passing. And I love the Arkham games, but with as much talent as Rocksteady has I want to see them retire Batman. Two amazing games is enough. What I hope they're working on is a Spiderman game. It could easily use a modified Arkham's grappling hook mechanic for webs. Climbing and swinging around a city with Rocksteady's quality and polish would be amazing.
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course that is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister Ed.

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

Not interested, however I am eagerly anticipating Rocksteady's silver age Batman game coming next year, love silver age Batman.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Batman Arkham Asylum was fantastic and Batman Arkham City is the only game I could omfortably give a 10 last generation, but this new game is supposedly not by Rocksteady... Like others have said: so conflicting.

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I really had a hard time liking Arkham City, so I doubt that I'd run right out and purchase a new Batman game.
23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

[QUOTE="Flubbbs"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"] Yes, better to wait. Some multiplayer would be nice.famicommander

No, co-op isn't a good thing in games like this, batman is an example of a perfect single player game, something that's lacking in gaming today, single player games. Stop trying to shoe-horn multiplayer into every damn franchise, it's ruining gaming. 

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lulekani

[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="Flubbbs"]

23Jarek23

No, co-op isn't a good thing in games like this, batman is an example of a perfect single player game, something that's lacking in gaming today, single player games. Stop trying to shoe-horn multiplayer into every damn franchise, it's ruining gaming. 

Your stance against Multiplayer seems one sided. Oh well. . . . . Win some . . . Lose some.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="Flubbbs"]

23Jarek23

Agreed. We're running very low on AAA single player only games and the Batman games are examples of how to do an extremely content rich single player experience without having to shove multiplayer in it. Seriouslt, you can get well over 40 hours of gameplay out of Arkham City at the very least.

Darkeroid2212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Darkeroid2212
Member since 2012 • 293 Posts

I just watched all three of the Batman trilogy movies in a row. I wanted to buy Arkham City instantly. Now this has me more hyped!

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="23Jarek23"]

[QUOTE="famicommander"] Disagree. Batman's universe is full of potentially great co-op partners and not enough games have local co-op play. Nightwing, Red Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman, Catwoman, Red Hood, Robin, etc. Imagine an open Gotham City where one player could freely explore the city in the Batmobile, while another stalks the rooftops as Nightwing. I'd buy a game like that.Pikminmaniac

Agreed. We're running very low on AAA single player only games and the Batman games are examples of how to do an extremely content rich single player experience without having to shove multiplayer in it. Seriouslt, you can get well over 40 hours of gameplay out of Arkham City at the very least.

This talk of multiplayer interfering with single player games reminds me of another reason to love Rocksteady. They didn't add multiplayer into Arkham City because they wanted to focus all their attention on the single player and they didn't care if the box didn't have the added "multiplayer" advertisement on it*.

I can't help but wonder what already awesome single player games would be if there wasn't unnecessary attention spent with the multiplayer. I loved Bioshock 2, for instance, but the multiplayer was forgettable. The same goes for Tomb Raider, which I'm enjoying immensely. I'm not saying these MP modes interfered with my enjoyment of the games (although in my own stupid little way I'm angry I won't be able to get the Platinum trophy for Tomb Raider) but it's interesting to think if the single player portion would have been larger and better if the MP effort was dropped.

* Link to the Rocksteady guy saying that, in case anyone wanted another reason to love those guys: http://ps3.gamespy.com/playstation-3/batman-arkham-asylum-2/1149876p1.html

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

I've made this argument before but it bears repeating:

Objectively, Arkham City is the better game. I understand some people prefer the more linear aspect of the first game but when you examine both titles under the scrutiny of objectivism, AC is the superior game by a significant margin.

AC has more content, enjoys an open world construct that better emulates and distills the character as he appears in the comics, contains a deeper and more refined combat engine, delivers far more varied environments and bosses, has an improved and more versatile detective mode, and features two playable protagonists and two additional characters in the combat and stealth challenges. It literally improves on everything that was already exceptional in the first game.

Regardless, both Arkham games are two of the very best of this generation and I would actually rank AC as one of the best games ever made. The combat alone was a stroke of brilliance and both games ooze quality and polish, along with phenomenally good production values.

As to the third game, I hope it's good. If they follow Rocksteady's lead it could be a nice way to tie up the franchise before giving us a new Batman next gen.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Gonna wait tell I see some info on the game first.