Never Played MGS. Where Do I Start?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

West-Coast-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 West-Coast-G
Member since 2006 • 4414 Posts
Ok, so Ive never played a Metal Gear Solid game. I only rented Sons of Liberty and only had time to play through the first mission. Since Metal Gear Solid 4 is coming out this year, Ive decided to play through all the Metal Gears (1,2 & 3) during the summer. Im just a little confuses as to which copies to get. How many versions of the games were released? Should I opt for the originals or get the "substance" versions? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Dude, you have a PS3 and you don't even know if you like MGS? I'm confused...

But anyway, back to the real issue at hand! I think the obvious answer is to start playing with the first game and play them all in order. However, some will tell you to play The Twin Snakes while some will say play the original version. You can't really make the wrong choice, but you do have to understand that both of them were madewith Kojima doing SOMETHING, so don't let the fans tell you that the PS version is the "real" MGS. After that, just play the Substance and Subsistance versions as they are basically the exact same game but with extra features added, though I think they took down the servers for MGS3's online recently.

Or if you are really adventurous, go read up old reviews of each version and actually READ what it says on how the versions compare. Then you know I'm not just going crazy!

West-Coast-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 West-Coast-G
Member since 2006 • 4414 Posts
Im looking on Ebay and it seems im going to pay upwards of $25 for MGS1. I guess Ill get the Substance and Subsistence versions of 2 and 3 just because they're the same games, just with more stuff. Thanks! :)
Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hulabaloza
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts
It's a highly overrated series of games. Buy a cheap copy of MGS2 to make sure you really want to spend money on buying the others.
Heathcliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#5 Heathcliff
Member since 2003 • 8843 Posts
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. That's where you start. Unless you don't have a GameCube/Wii, then in that case try to hunt down the original PS1 MGS.
trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts

The official storyline order is:

3, Portable Ops, 1, 2. I suggest playing in that order.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

trifecta_basic

No dude, it doesn't work that way! Playing in Chronological order is NOT the way to go. The stories of the games can be taken by themselves, true, but even though 3 is a prequel, play it last. Play them in the order they came out as that is the way the people who actually put out the games assumed you did it.

EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts
[QUOTE="trifecta_basic"]

AtomicTangerine

No dude, it doesn't work that way! Playing in Chronological order is NOT the way to go. The stories of the games can be taken by themselves, true, but even though 3 is a prequel, play it last. Play them in the order they came out as that is the way the people who actually put out the games assumed you did it.

What he said!!

Start off with Twin Snakes if you can, then 2, then 3.

Then give me your PS3 so I can play 4.

trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts
[QUOTE="trifecta_basic"]

AtomicTangerine

I think not. If someone has waited they should play each successive game in the proper order. It will feel more like a series, playing it by release date is pointless. This isn't FF where the only similarities are a few character archetypes, each game is a rough continuation from the last. Why anyone would play them backwards(besides not having a PSP) is beyond me.

I also suggest to the Topic creator to get Subsistence, which contains the MG 1-2, which picks up after Portable Ops.

toment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 toment
Member since 2005 • 8396 Posts
How come the MXS Metal Gears don't enter into the equation at all?
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#11 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

You can look in playstation store since you have a ps3 to play the original metal gear solid because it was directed by kojima I assure you it's much better than the twin snakes, then mgs2 then mgs3 then the other mgs on portable machines.

The guy who said play mgs ops.... mgs op doesn't tell you the whole story it tells you additional things to the info you already know after you play mgs3 if he skipped mgs3 and jumped to play mgs ops he won't get it as we did. There's a 20 years anniversary pack edition coming up you might wanna check it out too.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

How come the MXS Metal Gears don't enter into the equation at all?toment
MSX, you mean? They're included in the purchase of MGS3 Subsistence.

And play the Solid games in the order of their release. Not only do 3 and Portable Ops have some game mechanics that would make it feel weird to go back to the other games (no CQC), but 3 and PO actually have spoilers for MGS1 and 2.

Wesker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Wesker16
Member since 2006 • 100 Posts

I started MGS ever since the 2nd one came out for PS2. Then i got the 3rd one called Snake Eater Around 2004. And MGS The Twin Snakes was post to be about the 1st one when it came out of PC. Idk about the 4th one, but i heard that is comin out for PS2, PC, and Xbox 360. I heard that game was post to be really awsome too.

TheCrimsonblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheCrimsonblur
Member since 2003 • 1376 Posts
Go Twin Snakes, MGS2, MGS3:Substinence, MGS: PO, and then watch the comic on the PSP if you want. You should be set then, and fully ready for MGS4. :)
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

I envy PS3 owners.

*envy envy*

Anyway, you would be best served playing the MGS games in the order they were released in (1-> 2-> 3). I never played MGS1 on the PS, but I do own Twin Snakes for the GC, so I recommend that. Most of those who recommend the original version over TS played the original first, so I assume you, as someone who hasn't, will be fine with TS. If you can no longer tolerate PS graphics, then the TS version is a no-brainer. But if you want all of them playable on the PS3, get the original version.

The only thing that might weird you out with Twin Snakes is the... well, the acrobatic feats of Snake, mostly, I'd say. Apparently TS was Matrix-ized and the original was more... acrobatically realistic. I played MGS2 first, so I was already expecting weird stuff. :D But definitely play SOME version of 1 before you play 2. After 2, play 3. Not only are there new gameplay mechanics, but I think the game is much better than 1. I like the main character better, the gameplay is new and awesome, the story is better (IMO), and the game is more cinematic.

Go for it!

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 slinky6
Member since 2004 • 8521 Posts
Play them in order. It's been about a month since I started playing MGS and I've already played through each of them and I'm already a huge fan which should be obvious considering my sig and avatar. Oh and I highly recommend the original MGS rather than the Twin Snakes.
Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts

you should start at 1 but i dont think the games are made that you need to know alot of the characters

someone6669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 someone6669
Member since 2006 • 252 Posts

Definitely don't start with MGS2 or MGS3, you will be so confused by the amount of things you need to keep track of. The games not only progress in difficulty, but they also progress in the number of "parameters" you need to keep track of.

For example, in MGS3, you need to keep track of the disguise of your character, the amount of food he has, curing wounds ... etc. You will be confused as heck if you start directly at MGS3.

TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
It would make sense to start with 1.
slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 slinky6
You wanna know where to start? I would suggest, not starting.BubbyJello
You haven't even played an MGS game, have you?
Ventana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ventana
Member since 2004 • 192 Posts
Don't play Twin Snakes, the cut scenes are ridiculous, they make it look like Snake can walk on air and its way to over the top for a game that is suppose to be serious.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Release order.
  1. Metal Gear Solid (PS/PC)
  2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
  3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)

Good substitutes:
  1. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (GC)
  2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2/Xbox/PC)
  3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)

I suggest:
  1. Metal Gear Solid (PS)
  2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
  3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
The last combination gives you the ability to play Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater in their best forms and on the systems they are best for.
darkodonnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 darkodonnie
Member since 2007 • 2384 Posts

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes

Metal Gear Solid 2 (any version)

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

Metal Gear Solid: Portable OPS

BubbyJello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BubbyJello
Member since 2007 • 2750 Posts
[QUOTE="BubbyJello"]You wanna know where to start? I would suggest, not starting.slinky6
You haven't even played an MGS game, have you?

I played the first one for the PS1, one that was on the NES, and a little tiny bit of a GCN one. The only one I beat was the PS1 one. The only reason I played through the PS1 game was some of my friends said it was really good, and I kept playing it thinking it would get good.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
I've only played 2 so far and didn't have much trouble understanding what was going on (until the ending.. to this day I still don't really know wtf that was all about). I think you could probably swap 1 & 2 around and it won't make much of a difference... I have Twin Snakes but I've hardly played it. The graphics are pretty good, but going from pressure-sensitive controls on the PS2 to the Gamecube controller sucks hard, so for that reason alone I'd start off with Twin Snakes and then play MGS 2 so you aren't disappointed by the controls.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
Get MGS or MGS:TTS (on the PS1 and Gamecube respectively) and play that. Then you'll know what's going on. And no matter what fanboys say, MGS:TTS is a great game.
DSJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 DSJ
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts
if you want to start i recomend Twin Snakes. Dont make the same mistake i did by starting with 3, i found out the character i thought i was playing as wasn't him at all
Heathcliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heathcliff

Don't play Twin Snakes, the cut scenes are ridiculous, they make it look like Snake can walk on air and its way to over the top for a game that is suppose to be serious.Ventana

Really? Let me see. . . Robotic ninjas; telekinetic freaks; a fat man on roller skates, etc. . . . . since when is Metal Gear supposed to be serious?????

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
2 is unnecessar, play the ps1 version of MGS if you can tolerate it, if not play twin snakes, then play MGS3 subsitance with the new camera than wait a day before 4, and rush through 2 as fast as you can
slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 slinky6

[QUOTE="Ventana"]Don't play Twin Snakes, the cut scenes are ridiculous, they make it look like Snake can walk on air and its way to over the top for a game that is suppose to be serious.Heathcliff

Really? Let me see. . . Robotic ninjas; telekinetic freaks; a fat man on roller skates, etc. . . . . since when is Metal Gear supposed to be serious?????

I think what he means is the gravity defying, slow motion bullcrap Snake does is annoying.
rabidwolf86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rabidwolf86
Member since 2004 • 743 Posts
that's easy metal gear solid for ps1.
TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TonicBH
Member since 2004 • 720 Posts

Twin Snakes, Substance, Subsistence.

You're welcome.

(Why is these such a disdain for MGS:TTS? "OMG SNAKE BACKFLIPPING OFF A MISSILE!$!!$!#$!@#12313212!" jesus people, I can think of like, 20-30 scenes in MGS2 and MGS3 that are just as over-the-top as any Twin Snakes scene.)

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 fs_metal
Member since 2005 • 25711 Posts

In chronological order, the games would go like this:

Metal Gear Solid 3 (Get Subsistence so you can play MEtal Gear 1 and 3 as well)

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Metal Gear

Metal Gear 2

Metal Gear Solid

MEtal Gear Solid 2

Etheralfayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Etheralfayt
Member since 2004 • 477 Posts

In chronological order, the games would go like this:

Metal Gear Solid 3 (Get Subsistence so you can play MEtal Gear 1 and 3 as well)

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Metal Gear

Metal Gear 2

Metal Gear Solid

MEtal Gear Solid 2

fs_metal

yeah if you want to follow the series story and what not i would agree to go with this but if your just looking for an entry point to fall in love with the series than it's gotta be MGS1.. so if that PS1 games graphics bug you then pick up the Twin Snakes remake for the GC.

Heathcliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Heathcliff
[QUOTE="Heathcliff"]

[QUOTE="Ventana"]Don't play Twin Snakes, the cut scenes are ridiculous, they make it look like Snake can walk on air and its way to over the top for a game that is suppose to be serious.slinky6

I think what he means is the gravity defying, slow motion bullcrap Snake does is annoying.

Then perhaps he should learn to express himself better. Are the TS cinematics annoying? I don't think they are. They're pretty cool to watch, actually. And I challenge you or him to explain why they're annoying. I don't think you can come up with one plausible reason other than the contradictory and typical "because they're not realistic" response.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#39 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

[QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]It's a highly overrated series of games. Buy a cheap copy of MGS2 to make sure you really want to spend money on buying the others.Sushbag88

Go to hell.

LOL xD

2 is unnecessar, play the ps1 version of MGS if you can tolerate it, if not play twin snakes, then play MGS3 subsitance with the new camera than wait a day before 4, and rush through 2 as fast as you canF1Lengend

Huh ? He gotta play mgs2 inorder to understand mgs4.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

In order to get the story, you'll probably need to play the first two games. Subsistence just fleshes out the backstory, despite being the best of the bunch, gameplay-wise.