This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gugand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Gugand
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II, Metroid, Punch-Out!!, Castlevania, Ghosts n' Goblins, Gradius, Kid Icarus, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy, Contra, Battletoads. All of these games (and I'm pretty sure others) have two things in common: They are very hard, and they are on the Nintendo Entertainment System. This has me raising a question about the gray box that saved gaming: Is it just me, or does the NES have the highest difficult-game ratio of any videogame system?
FFuematsufan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 FFuematsufan
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts

some atari games are harder... in the sense that you have no idea what to do.

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 165

#3 zh666
Member since 2005 • 5068 Posts

The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II, Metroid, Punch-Out!!, Castlevania, Ghosts n' Goblins, Gradius, Kid Icarus, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy, Contra, Battletoads. All of these games (and I'm pretty sure others) have two things in common: They are very hard, and they are on the Nintendo Entertainment System. This has me raising a question about the gray box that saved gaming: Is it just me, or does the NES have the highest difficult-game ratio of any videogame system?Gugand

I wouldn't consider Zelda (well Zelda II was hard), Metroid, Kid Icarus, Punch Out or Final Fantasy hard.. they're beatable.. but yeah the rest are because they're all arcade games at heart and Arcade games are hard because they want you to pump quarters into their machines over time, and developers still had the mindframe on the NES.. and their games were short so they had to make them hard on purpose for that too...

slimdave21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 slimdave21
Member since 2003 • 2646 Posts

I'm pretty sure the reason NES games were difficult is because they couldn't fit a large easy game on the carteridges... so they made the games difficult and short in length. People would have felt cheated if they paid 60+ dollars for a game and they could beat it in one day.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts
alot of those games imo weren't THAT hard, but they could be pretty brutal the first couple of times you played them. i think games now are just far too easy :P i guess thats what i get for being an old timer. i will say the difficulty definitely added to the replay value and when you beat the game you really felt an accomplishment.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
They're not that hard, its just that modern games are easier.
GAMECAMILLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#7 GAMECAMILLER
Member since 2005 • 4994 Posts

some atari games are harder... in the sense that you have no idea what to do.

FFuematsufan

True! :P

But NES games are concidered hard today, because a lot of them had to sue differnet tactics to make games last longer then what we use today.Like, no saving, or few save checkpoints, Tougehr bosses, cheap deaths, back tor estart continues, Today they use mroe refined ways tomake games last longer and harder. Imagine if you had tor estart halo from the begining if you died each time?

Avatar image for Videogamefan123
Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Videogamefan123
Member since 2007 • 941 Posts
Well the games had to be hard so you would get your moneys worth. Beause games back then costed about 40 or 50 dollars then adjust that for inflation. Imagine a game costing that much only lasting a few days
leofiregod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 leofiregod
Member since 2004 • 2084 Posts

Well the games had to be hard so you would get your moneys worth. Beause games back then costed about 40 or 50 dollars then adjust that for inflation. Imagine a game costing that much only lasting a few daysVideogamefan123

You mean games like Fable and Justice League Heroes. I beat JLH in one day and was pi$$ed.

I never found many nes games that hard. I guess thats because I was an atari pro by the time NES came out.

strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 strayzilla
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts

Meh, maybe hard at one time but not after playing a few times. Pretty much every one of those games is pattern based and knowing where to stand, or where items are helps you sail through the game. The only game I'd really consider hard is GhostsNGoblins. And only because that game is cheap (as in questionable collision detection while jumping) and hard to play with the NES controller.

I still have a NES hooked up and have been playing through a ton of those game recently. I hadn't played Metroid since it release, and still beat it under 5 hours. Just knowing the tricks and best weapons to use, helps you sail through levels. Kinda same with Zelda. I would just go into screen and know there was something around, but couldn't remember exactly where. Still finished the game w/o dieing.

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
I played many NES games. Some of them were hard to beat- the Adventure of Bayou Billy, and Ninja Gaiden 1-3. You may need to be patient for finishing whatever game.
CessPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CessPool
Member since 2003 • 398 Posts
I think the kids are spoiled now, whats interesting about the games you named......They all have no difficulty choice!!
WushuFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WushuFighter
Member since 2007 • 1837 Posts
Zelda 2 was a very hard but enjoyable and rewarding game. I used to spend hours trying to make strategies for defeating iron knuckles and the mini thunderbird knights in the last palace. Now I can beat that game in a couple of hours.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Zelda 2 was a very hard but enjoyable and rewarding game. I used to spend hours trying to make strategies for defeating iron knuckles and the mini thunderbird knights in the last palace. Now I can beat that game in a couple of hours.WushuFighter

Iron Knuckles always fell for the same tactic: the jump slash.

Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts
NES games = Too hard = get some difficulty settings; let the gamer choose easy if they want
WushuFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WushuFighter
Member since 2007 • 1837 Posts

[QUOTE="WushuFighter"]Zelda 2 was a very hard but enjoyable and rewarding game. I used to spend hours trying to make strategies for defeating iron knuckles and the mini thunderbird knights in the last palace. Now I can beat that game in a couple of hours.King9999

Iron Knuckles always fell for the same tactic: the jump slash.

I always beat them the hard way by blocking and slashing their open spots. I didn't figure that jump slash trick untill later lol.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yes many of those NES 8-bit games are brutal regarding the difficultly. Today in 2008 I went into a Japanese run used videogame store. I asked the owner what was your favorite videogames system of all time. The answer was the N.E.S and the reason was because the games were hard. You needed good hand-eye/reflexes and skill to beat "Those simple 8-bit Nintendo games". The only really tough NES game I beat was Tatio's Skyshark. The game just keeps scrolling back to the beginning. There were many Nes games I never got close to finishing. Many nights of "Controller tossing" Yep the NES has The hardest videogame library of them all. Not wonder the game shop owner picked "The original Nintendo" as his favorite system of all time. I Almost want to pick up a N.E.S 2 "top loader" and have another go at those hard games again. Almost....

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
Retro games were hard. Or maybe today's games are just too easy.
Avatar image for RdrOfTheLostArk
RdrOfTheLostArk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RdrOfTheLostArk
Member since 2008 • 116 Posts

The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II, Metroid, Punch-Out!!, Castlevania, Ghosts n' Goblins, Gradius, Kid Icarus, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy, Contra, Battletoads. All of these games (and I'm pretty sure others) have two things in common: They are very hard, and they are on the Nintendo Entertainment System. This has me raising a question about the gray box that saved gaming: Is it just me, or does the NES have the highest difficult-game ratio of any videogame system?Gugand

You forgot the hardest of all: Super Mario Bros! It might not have been so hard had you not had to beat the entire game in one sitting. Sure the NES has a lot of tough games, but I don't know if it's the hardest system overall.

strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 strayzilla
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts
Super MArio Brothers The lost Levels still gives me fits. Now there's a harder game.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts
NES too hard?, yes, absolutely, i havent beat Punch Out and not to mention some other games like Ninja Gaiden, so for me, yes NES games are too damn hard.
KevinLockard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KevinLockard
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Contra isn't hard. I can beat both Contra and Super C back to back without getting game over once (not without getting hit, though), and I'm by no means a Video Gaming God. I'm an above average skilled gamer at best.

Contra only started getting hard with Contra 3: The Alien Wars on the SNES (especially considering that there was no 30 lives cheat code here in North America.)

xmitchconnorx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xmitchconnorx
Member since 2007 • 2649 Posts
Most games today are easy dumbed down games for a broader audience. Games back then were what games should be, challenging.
Avatar image for ConkerAndBerri2
ConkerAndBerri2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 ConkerAndBerri2
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts
your just not old school...that might be the case, over the years gaming has gotten easier, i found some big ass rant by this guy that just cant stand this gens level of difficulty he says that its really easy and that gaming today is leaning towards casual gaming, i think he needs to chill the hell out. id give you a link but the site is lagging badly. and i believe that the old school guys need to become friends with the select your difficulty option.
aots_twilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 aots_twilight
Member since 2004 • 1402 Posts
I suddenly remembered how hard it was to jump over this small bridge in Double Dragon...
Alizerothree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#26 Alizerothree
Member since 2008 • 1043 Posts
I grew up on the NES and thought the difficulty was perfect. Yes, they were hard as hell, but when you beat a damn near impossible game like ghosts and goblins, it does something good to your soul. =] The other games you mentioned weren't too bad honestly.
Alizerothree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#27 Alizerothree
Member since 2008 • 1043 Posts

your just not old school...that might be the case, over the years gaming has gotten easier, i found some big ass rant by this guy that just cant stand this gens level of difficulty he says that its really easy and that gaming today is leaning towards casual gaming, i think he needs to chill the hell out. id give you a link but the site is lagging badly. and i believe that the old school guys need to become friends with the select your difficulty option.ConkerAndBerri2

I totally agree!! I mean, companies now are watering games down so that they can attract more casual players and people that have never played videogames. It's lame.They don't realize they are going overboard and making the games too easy.