This topic is locked from further discussion.

koolmankris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

User Lists: 0

#1 koolmankris
Member since 2004 • 355 Posts
A couple months ago, I bought a new LCD HDTV. My 360 worked fine with the component-HD hookup, but I just got an HDMI cable the other day and now use my 360 with that. Here's my problem. I also picked up a pre-owned N64 and a couple games (for like $30) the other day. I got home, excited to let the nostalgia begin, but it didn't. It came with one of the old RF-switch hookups, so I tried that and switched it to channel 3, but it didn't work. Instead the picture came up all scrambled andmessed up (I DID get sound though). I then tried using the AV cable cables from my Gamecube (the red/white/yellow ones) and I got the same result after switching to the video mode. It worked with the gamecube so it's not the cables. So I tried the n64 on an older non-HD tv and it worked just fine...But I'd like to play on my HDTV. I realize it won't look as sharp as my 360 (which uses HDMI) and I don't mind i f I even have to lower the aspect ratio...I just wanna know how I do it, if it's even possible, or if I need to pick up somekind of cable or whatever. Any ideas?
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#2 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
The AV cables from the GameCube should work, make sure that 1. You're putting them in the correct Red/White/Yellow connectors (Red/White for Audio In, Yellow for Video In) 2. That you're not switching to progressive scan mode, since the R/W/Y cables don't transmit in progressive scan (someone else will have to fill in details on the modes and whether this applies to the N64, I'm a bit lacking in the knowledge base here). EDIT: Hmm, I re-read, it works on the same TV with the GameCube? That is very weird. So you have the cables all working with GameCube, then you pull out just the back cable and plug it into the N64 and it doesn't work? If so, I'm baffled.
koolmankris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 koolmankris
Hmm...Well apparently it IS do-able, somehow...The only thing I haven't tried yet is plugging into the Component-plugins, which I used for the 360 before getting the HDMI cable. Well thanks for the input anyway, I suppose I'll tinker a bit more.
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#4 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Hmm...Well apparently it IS do-able, somehow...The only thing I haven't tried yet is plugging into the Component-plugins, which I used for the 360 before getting the HDMI cable. Well thanks for the input anyway, I suppose I'll tinker a bit more.koolmankris
Well, I can tell you Composite cables won't work in Component inputs, because they transmit the information differently (video by three different plugs instead of one).
koolmankris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 koolmankris
Lol, I just found that out..Heh oh well...I'm gonna try running the AV cables through my Cable Box since it has AV inputs on the back...
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
Hmmm...well the problem might be that N64 games generally run at a much lower resolution than GameCube/Xbox/PS2 games. Your HDTV may not support the low resolutions that N64 games use.
hogthershod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 hogthershod
Member since 2003 • 4227 Posts
You're going to be surprised how crappy it looks. I suggest you just man up and play on an SDTV.
Haloforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Haloforce
Member since 2002 • 1245 Posts

You're going to be surprised how crappy it looks. I suggest you just man up and play on an SDTV.hogthershod

Harsh, but I agree. I have a dedicated SDTV for my old systems. HDTVs for the most part make the games gitty, grainy, and just ugly.