steelcommuter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 steelcommuter
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

Ok, I know most people appear to like MMO games, but I need to find a quality multiplayer LAN game that is a fantasy or SF RPG that I can play with my kids. I'd like something that has an open world, but linear plotlines/progression is acceptable.

My kids are old enough for the play mechanics of an RPG, but too young for me to feel comfortable about the potential bad behavior often seen on online games. When someone propositioned my daughter on a Minecraft server that was supposedly family-friendly, that was the end of their use of MMO servers for a while.

If anyone can suggest something that fits my criteria -- a world I can play in with my kids -- in the RPG genre such as D&D games, the old Ultima ones, or the Elder Scrolls series, but on our own, I would appreciate it. Thanks for any help! It can be an older or newer game.

goku9712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By goku9712
Member since 2016 • 8 Posts

Ugh..Ikr thats why I don't allow my sisters to play MMOs at all -_-

On topic, Ah I've been searching for the same stuff as you are for a while..wish there was a Skyrim or Morrowind LAN mod or something. Cousins here for the holidays. We've found Minecraft pretty fun with some mods and maps. Borderlands has LAN and so does Dead Island and Dead Island: Riptide, which is pretty fun. SWAT4 (Isn't an RPG) I would highly recommend this..best bonding-over game I found lately xD after BROFORCE* and Super Smash Bros. Castle Crashers..not sure if it has LAN but it does have online and singlescreen coop. Sven mod for half life if all else fails x'D. Oh wait..Monaco and Rayman Origins* were cool as well...

^I made a mess over there lol

* No LAN

And look out for Cube Worlds!

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

divinity: original sin is the the one that immediately pops to mind. It's designed for multiple players as it has multiple protagonists and conversations designed to allow each player to answer for themselves. The answers they give can often lead to special bonuses or changes in the way events proceed. It's pretty inoffensive as far as content...maybe some crass humor on occasion.

other than that...i remember playing Secret of Mana back on the SNES. That's a three-player rpg that maybe is a bit like zelda.

ARPGs are your best bet...things like Sacred 2.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

There's also pillars of eternity. I'm not sure of shadowrun is multiplayer. It's a tactical rpg

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@goku9712 said:

Ugh..Ikr thats why I don't allow my sisters to play MMOs at all -_-

On topic, Ah I've been searching for the same stuff as you are for a while..wish there was a Skyrim or Morrowind LAN mod or something. Cousins here for the holidays. We've found Minecraft pretty fun with some mods and maps. Borderlands has LAN and so does Dead Island and Dead Island: Riptide, which is pretty fun. SWAT4 (Isn't an RPG) I would highly recommend this..best bonding-over game I found lately xD after BROFORCE* and Super Smash Bros. Castle Crashers..not sure if it has LAN but it does have online and singlescreen coop. Sven mod for half life if all else fails x'D. Oh wait..Monaco and Rayman Origins* were cool as well...

^I made a mess over there lol

* No LAN

And look out for Cube Worlds!

Most of those really aren't kid friendly. Just Minecraft, Monaco and Rayman. Smash Bros is likely fine but it doesn't sound like the sort of game the Op is looking for nor is it on PC which I'm inferring is his platform.

Divinity: Original Sin was mentioned and that's a great one but is limited to two players to my knowledge. Also, there were a bunch of computer Dungeons and Dragons games that had multiplayer capability with a party. Neverwinter Nights 2 is a bit old but it's still a great game.

-Byshop

Antarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Antarte
Member since 2009 • 387 Posts

Some of my favorites 100% recommendable, by genre and in chronological order and what have LAN (corroborate the last condition because I don't remember most of them to have LAN).

RPG
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 with expansions (or the new Enhanced Edition, but I preffer the Trilogy mod)
Arcanum
The Temple of Elemental Evil
Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2
Divinity Original Sin
Wasteland 2
Pillars of Eternity
Warmachine Tactics

Action RPG
Diablo 2
Dungeon Siege 1 and 2
Blade The Edge of Darkness / Dark Souls
Sacred 1 and 2