Most Over Rated Game of 2008

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pagnozzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 pagnozzi
Member since 2005 • 106 Posts

What do you think the most over rated game of 2008 is?

I am going to have to say Spore.

As much publicity and hype that game got, I expected a second coming.

Instead, I played a game that deserves a score of 5-6 out of 10.

Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts
I'd have to agree with Spore. I'd still like to know why it was delayed so much, sure wasn't for the visuals or game play.
BeyondPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 BeyondPain
Member since 2008 • 762 Posts

i reckon you should post this topic AFTER all the big names have been released.

But on topic, Spore, wheres my second coming EA?

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I don't really pay attention to the press much anymore.

Impressions and reviews from other players are what I care about.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
GTAIV...Really gamespot? A perfect 10 for a game that has next to no re-playability? Really!?
pjvan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pjvan67
Member since 2006 • 193 Posts
i think that the most overrated game of 2008 is brothers in arms: hell's highway.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

I'd also have to go with Spore.

That game has a lot of "could've been" moments.

The transition between phases aren't very smooth and isn't implemented as well as advertised.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

GTAIV...Really gamespot? A perfect 10 for a game that has next to no re-playability? Really!?Shinobishyguy

I'm not sure if you noticed, but it wasn't just GameSpot. Many sites gave it "perfect" or otherwise high scores.

Mitten123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Mitten123
Member since 2008 • 402 Posts
Im going to have to say Force Unleashed...I actually really liek the game and agree with the 7,5 rating for the PS3...however the hype was incredible for it and failed to live up to it
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts

What do you think the most over rated game of 2008 is?

I am going to have to say Spore.

As much publicity and hype that game got, I expected a second coming.

Instead, I played a game that deserves a score of 5-6 out of 10.

pagnozzi

Yeah, that game has gotten a lot of flak for the DRM and SecureROM stuff. Other than that, there isn't much I can think of since the year isn't over yet. I have a feeling Fable II is not going to be as good as Molyneux said it is though...

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Definitely MGS4. Some of the scenes were touching, but most of it was cheese, and the gameplay didn't do much for me. I had more fun with MGS2, despite all the Raiden hate from that game. Man, I would've LOVED to play as Raiden in MGS4!
Pessu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pessu
Member since 2007 • 944 Posts
Spore.
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
MGS4. Couldn't get into it, the worst pacing of any video game I've ever played.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

MGS4. Couldn't get into it, the worst pacing of any video game I've ever played.Mau-Justice

I like your taste in games. *high fives* :P

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#15 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon, but seriously, Spore sucks... bad.

Wow, I make some stupid "creatures" and tell them to fight it out in a ghetto Guild Wars type of combat of clicking on buttons? Yea, real groundbreaking. EVO did that better back in the 90s.

n00b1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 n00b1337
Member since 2004 • 219 Posts

I love the GTA series. LOVE IT. But I don't understand how GTAIV got so many 10's. Way too many. And what the hell is happening with DLC? No one cares about GTA anymore. Too late guys. I feel sorry for Microsoft wasting US $50m on it.

Magnol49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Magnol49
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts
NHL 09. Playing in Dynasty mode against a computer opponent that NEVER takes penalties is garbage. No matter how much I adjust the pathetic excuses for sliders - the computer takes no penalties. Looking in the Team stats you see other teams with 50-60 power plays. My team? SIX. In twenty games. Yeah. That's realistic. This game is broken and will be the last EA hockey game I ever buy. I'm pissed that I bought into the review hype and paid full price for this game. "One of the best sports games of all time," my a$$.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
GTA4, MGS4, DMC4 and NG2 were all letdowns to me. The first two are decent little romps but completly fail to live up to the overexaggerated gaming press and reviews, and the second two are sequel letdowns with huge design flaws.
schnitzelfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 schnitzelfreak
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
The Witcher
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

You know what's overrated?

Overrated threads.

And of course, the usual suspects are here.

GTAIV sucks.

MGS4 sucks.

The truth is, if you can't recognize the quality of those games then you really should go find a different hobby.

Even if these two games didn't personally thrill you, they both contain some incredibly spectacular elements and they deserve all the praise heaped upon them, regardless of flaws. To call them overrated is simplistic and egocentric.

I just can't wait until the rest of the really awesome games drop and we get another plethora of these types of threads. Here are a few topic ideas to get everybody warmed up:

Little Big Planet is overrated; it doesn't have enough content and making your own levels takes time.

Fallout 3 sucks and it overrated; Fallout 1 and 2 were vastly superior.

Fable 2 is a huge disappointment; just more of the same.

You don't even have to play the games to call them overrated.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Grammaton-Cleric

GTAIV...Really gamespot? A perfect 10 for a game that has next to no re-playability? Really!?Shinobishyguy

Yeah, it's not like GTAIV has a robust online mode...

...oh wait.

n00b1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 n00b1337
Member since 2004 • 219 Posts
sucks =/= over-rated
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#23 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts

how dare you

jacob2125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jacob2125
Member since 2003 • 1003 Posts

Well I haven't played most of the games people list here. So I'm gonna say Assassin's Creed. On top of having absolutely no replayability it's hard enough to drag yourself through one playthrough. Just goes to show that "fun" isn't fantored into game scores/revies anymore. It's all about "art" and pretty graphics.

jacob2125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jacob2125
Member since 2003 • 1003 Posts

Overrated threads.

GTAIV sucks.

MGS4 sucks.

The truth is, if you can't recognize the quality of those games then you really should go find a different hobby. Grammaton-Cleric

Because someone doesn't like the same games as you they should find a new hobby? You do realise there are so many different variety of videogames (or any form of entertainment for that matter) because there are many different kinds of people with different tastes? To suggest that your taste in game is superior to everyone elses makes you sound egotistical. Calling a game overrated siply means you don't find it to deserve all the praise it gets. Who are you to tell anyone what games they should like and dislike?

Even if these two games didn't personally thrill you, they both contain some incredibly spectacular elements and they deserve all the praise heaped upon them, regardless of flaws. To call them overrated is simplistic and egocentric. Grammaton-Cleric

So flaws (even major ones) should be overlooked because of a few things done particulary well? Since when? Since you said so? Oh, ok. What was it, again, you were saying about being egocentric?

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Madden 09 for me. Yes I know people love to bash EA because to do otherwise would make them less hardcore. I'll admit that I got the game because the last time I bought a Madden was a decade ago and I'm a huge Brett Farve fan. My disappointment with the game is that some of the plays make the receivers run out of bounds before they catch a ball, the learning curve is pretty steep for someone who hasn't played in a long time, and some of the camera angles are terrible. What really hurts though is that I still have more fun with NHL 08 which is a year older.
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
GTA IV did not deserve a 10. It is more like a 8.5/10 game.
slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts

Crysis

Madden

Dollar75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#31 Dollar75
Member since 2006 • 718 Posts

Well I haven't played most of the games people list here. So I'm gonna say Assassin's Creed. On top of having absolutely no replayability it's hard enough to drag yourself through one playthrough. Just goes to show that "fun" isn't fantored into game scores/revies anymore. It's all about "art" and pretty graphics.

jacob2125

I would whole-heartedily disagree with you there. AC was a game I could quite easily lose myself in, it all depends on how you like your games, as someone else has said. Just because the game does not appeal to you, does not mean that it's over-rated. I thought the idea and execution of it all was a game that showed me what next-gen gaming was all about. Yes each level had the same sortof missions in and yes, it was stupid the way you had to walk and pray not to get yourself noticed. But what it did do was to try something new, thats where it succeeded. A friend of mine purchased this game and he'd probably agree with you though. But I absolutely loved it.

DMC4 severely disappointed me. No challenge, you had to create the challenge yourself by killing the baddies in the most spectacular way. I'm sorry, but when I play a game, KNOWING that I'm going to defeat a minion in those types of games means very little to me. Only being challenged by the boss at the end of the level is a waste of $120. I think I played a few levels before deciding to use it as a coaster.

GTAIV, although an appealing game to many, did nothing for me. If I play a game, I don't want to have to play 10 or so hours before it starts to get good. COD4, the first 10 minutes go me hooked, now thats good game design.

doomsoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#32 doomsoth
Member since 2003 • 10094 Posts

GTAIV.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GodModeEnabled

Overrated threads.

GTAIV sucks.

MGS4 sucks.

The truth is, if you can't recognize the quality of those games then you really should go find a different hobby.

Even if these two games didn't personally thrill you, they both contain some incredibly spectacular elements and they deserve all the praise heaped upon them, regardless of flaws. To call them overrated is simplistic and egocentric.

I just can't wait until the rest of the really awesome games drop and we get another plethora of these types of threads. Here are a few topic ideas to get everybody warmed up:

Little Big Planet is overrated; it doesn't have enough content and making your own levels takes time.

Fallout 3 sucks and it overrated; Fallout 1 and 2 were vastly superior.

Fable 2 is a huge disappointment; just more of the same.

You don't even have to play the games to call them overrated.

Grammaton-Cleric
While I have huge repect for you and your opinions, I have to disagree. What you're essentially saying is that games like Grand Theft Auto 4 get a free pass from criticism and inspection because of their gaming press. I can see how some people love the game and would give it a 10, but really there are lots others that disagree. A spade is a spade and the same can be said of opinion, but if you look at it objectivley enough the flaws seep through like the smell of three day old garbage. The game is high quality but didnt deserve the free pass it caught because of its namesake. The levels of corruption and buyoffs in this industry are ridiculous, and while I have no proof I suspect it had something to do with how critically acclaimed the game was. The AI is subpar, the missions are repititive, the driving mechanics are complete ass, the story takes way too long to go really nowhere, the minigames arent as fun and the taking friends out thing gets old after a few hours real fast. As far as Metal Gear goes you get to experience what seems like some stoners acid shrooming nightmare in place of a plot, the controls are over complicated and annoying, you get dozens upon dozens of weapons and items in the game but most of them are completly useless considering you get a tranq gun with unlimited ammo that pretty much one shots all the guards. Again just my opinions, but the sacred cow perfect game dosent exist.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Yet it is far larger than MGS4 which also has no replay value, but you can replay any game and GTA does have the online mode. I would say both those 10's are overrated and Im not sure what GS were thinking handing out perfect scores, MGS 4 in true tradition is frustrating to replay due to the stupid overblown cutscenes.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#35 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts
gta 4, huge conspiracy!
5_LD_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 5_LD_5
Member since 2006 • 518 Posts

MGS4. Couldn't get into it, the worst pacing of any video game I've ever played.Mau-Justice

I actually agree with this.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

It doesn't really need re-playability the same way as 10-hour shooters do.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I think Spore was the biggest letdown.

Honestly, I didn't see the big deal about it. Is it because it's Will Wright's baby?

Anyway, not just because it got underwhelming reviews but:

• Lots of delays
  • Overhyped
  • DRM
  • Monster creations that look like...well, you know
  • Evolution argument between creationists etc.

Just bad things went on with this game.

And personally, it looks really boring.

soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 soren008
Member since 2008 • 2190 Posts

Grammaton-Cleric

The truth is that it is entirely subjective what people define as "spectacular elements"

"if you can't recognize the quality of those games then you really should go find a different hobby." - simplistic & egocentric..

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Spore

Star wars TFU

Wotlk (I know its not out yet but no one has actually said anything negative about a Blizzard made game since everyone thinks their gods when they arent)

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

Overrated threads.

GTAIV sucks.

MGS4 sucks.

The truth is, if you can't recognize the quality of those games then you really should go find a different hobby. jacob2125

Because someone doesn't like the same games as you they should find a new hobby? You do realise there are so many different variety of videogames (or any form of entertainment for that matter) because there are many different kinds of people with different tastes? To suggest that your taste in game is superior to everyone elses makes you sound egotistical. Calling a game overrated siply means you don't find it to deserve all the praise it gets. Who are you to tell anyone what games they should like and dislike?

Even if these two games didn't personally thrill you, they both contain some incredibly spectacular elements and they deserve all the praise heaped upon them, regardless of flaws. To call them overrated is simplistic and egocentric. Grammaton-Cleric

So flaws (even major ones) should be overlooked because of a few things done particulary well? Since when? Since you said so? Oh, ok. What was it, again, you were saying about being egocentric?

I stand by everything I wrote.

The issue of ego is front and center when a person calls a game overrated just because they didn't personally like it. True insight and intelligence is the ability to transcend our own egos and appreciate something for its merits, even if that something doesn't appeal to us personally. There are plenty of very well made games that I don't personally like, but I'm not egocentric and ignorant enough to call them overrated merely because they don't appeal to my tastes.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Grammaton-Cleric
[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

soren008

The truth is that it is entirely subjective what people define as "spectacular elements"

"if you can't recognize the quality of those games then you really should go find a different hobby." - simplistic & egocentric..

You know, reading some of you trying to be clever, profound and ironic is really quite painful.

If the issue is one of all opinions being subjective then we can agree never to agree and that all things are ultimately equal and therefore no criticism, analysis or deconstruction is even necessary because it's all "subjective."

In other words, we cannot definitively state that Ernest Hemingway is a better writer than Danielle Steel and we cannot emphatically state that Edgar Allen Poe is a better writer than Dean Koontz.

And while technically this is true, it's also nonsense because at some point, a person who possess even a rudimentary working knowledge of the literary medium should be able to discern why one writer is vastly superior to another, personal taste aside.

The issue isn't whether or not you personally enjoy something but rather do you possess the ability to go beyond your own bias and tastes to appreciate why something like GTAIV or MGS4 is held in such high esteem?

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Spore was really overhyped, i started loosing intrest as soon as i saw the first gameplay video, far too kideyfied and simplified
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Grammaton-Cleric

While I have huge repect for you and your opinions, I have to disagree. What you're essentially saying is that games like Grand Theft Auto 4 get a free pass from criticism and inspection because of their gaming press. I can see how some people love the game and would give it a 10, but really there are lots others that disagree. A spade is a spade and the same can be said of opinion, but if you look at it objectivley enough the flaws seep through like the smell of three day old garbage. The game is high quality but didnt deserve the free pass it caught because of its namesake. The levels of corruption and buyoffs in this industry are ridiculous, and while I have no proof I suspect it had something to do with how critically acclaimed the game was. The AI is subpar, the missions are repititive, the driving mechanics are complete ass, the story takes way too long to go really nowhere, the minigames arent as fun and the taking friends out thing gets old after a few hours real fast. As far as Metal Gear goes you get to experience what seems like some stoners acid shrooming nightmare in place of a plot, the controls are over complicated and annoying, you get dozens upon dozens of weapons and items in the game but most of them are completly useless considering you get a tranq gun with unlimited ammo that pretty much one shots all the guards. Again just my opinions, but the sacred cow perfect game dosent exist.

GodModeEnabled

While I too respect your opinion, you lay out a laundry list of complaints that frankly, can be applied to just about any game and some of them, like your loathing of GTAIV's driving mechanics and your claim that MGS4 contains overly complicated controls, are a complete mystery to me personally.

And with all due respect, the whole "GTAIV bought its scores" is unsubstantiated crap. If we're going to engage in rampant speculation and conjecture, anybody can use these arguments against any game they don't happen to like.

Example:

"Mario Galaxy reviews were bought and paid for."

"RE4 reviews were bought and paid for."

"I don't trust critics and I think (Insert game here) is overrated."

I've play just about everything I can this year and MGS4 and GTAIV are easily the two best games I've played in terms of academic deconstruction and quality. Truth be told, that doesn't mean either game is my favorite personally, but I can recognize why GTAIV and MGS4 received so many accolades just as I can understand why No Country for Old Men won for Best Picture even though it wasn't my absolute favorite film of 2007.

This year, one of my favorite games has been Star Wars: TFU, and while I think it is vastly better than some critics have suggested, there is no way I'd claim it possesses the merits of something like GTAIV or MGS4.

My point is that quality should trump personal taste and calling something overrated is simplistic and unnecessary. Personally, I prefer to discuss underrated games, because I think there are a number of titles that haven't been given enough recognition. Unfortunately, people would rather focus on the negative and get angry because they didn't like a particular game and want to validate their personal opinion rather than merely move onto to something else.

Again, much of this boils down to intellectual maturity and to be fair, there have been plenty of times in the past when I've made ignorant statements because I let my personal biases cloud my objective intelligence.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GodModeEnabled
While I too respect your opinion, you lay out a laundry list of complaints that frankly, can be applied to just about any game and some of them, like your loathing of GTAIV's driving mechanics and your claim that MGS4 contains overly complicated controls, are a complete mystery to me personally. And with all due respect, the whole "GTAIV bought its scores" is unsubstantiated crap. If we're going to engage in rampant speculation and conjecture, anybody can use these arguments against any game they don't happen to like. Example: "Mario Galaxy reviews were bought and paid for." "RE4 reviews were bought and paid for." "I don't trust critics and I think (Insert game here) is overrated." I've play just about everything I can this year and MGS4 and GTAIV are easily the two best games I've played in terms of academic deconstruction and quality. Truth be told, that doesn't mean either game is my favorite personally, but I can recognize why GTAIV and MGS4 received so many accolades just as I can understand why No Country for Old Men won for Best Picture even though it wasn't my absolute favorite film of 2007. This year, one of my favorite games has been Star Wars: TFU, and while I think it is vastly better than some critics have suggested, there is no way I'd claim it possesses the merits of something like GTAIV or MGS4. My point is that quality should trump personal taste and calling something overrated is simplistic and unnecessary. Personally, I prefer to discuss underrated games, because I think there are a number of titles that haven't been given enough recognition. Unfortunately, people would rather focus on the negative and get angry because they didn't like a particular game and want to validate their personal opinion rather than merely move onto to something else. Again, much of this boils down to intellectual maturity and to be fair, there have been plenty of times in the past when I've made ignorant statements because I let my personal biases cloud my objective intelligence.Grammaton-Cleric
Hmm, I dont know if its really bias on my part though. I loved every other game in both series and was looking forward to both of these games. I know where you're coming from saying that im being biased, because everytime some game gets rated high scores the floodgates open and rampant frothing fanboys come screaming heresy. Im pretty tired of that happening as well. It wasn't so much that these games got a 10 that made me dislike them, it was more of playing them and not feeling that magic that the others provide. Its hard to explain just that... special something that hits you with these games. Then the flaws started stading out a bit for me, and I really cant agree to either game being perfect. I do however see their high quality and had a good time still.... I just personally feel that those 10's have more to do with the high calibur of the franchises namesakes and less objectivity on the part of the professionals. Either way I reccomend both of these games for sure, but they are more on the 9. something level than 10 as far as I can see. Trying to argue that a game rated so high isnt quite as perfect as everyone believes without being labeled a troll is like tip toeing through a minefield. Off topic> Force Unleashed was some of the most fun ive had all year!
Magnol49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Magnol49
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts

The issue of ego is front and center when a person calls a game overrated just because they didn't personally like it. True insight and intelligence is the ability to transcend our own egos and appreciate something for its merits, even if that something doesn't appeal to us personally. There are plenty of very well made games that I don't personally like, but I'm not egocentric and ignorant enough to call them overrated merely because they don't appeal to my tastes.

Grammaton-Cleric

-So... if a game is bugged and broken and no mention of these issues was made in gushing reviews, would you concede that it is overrated then?

perfectdefect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 perfectdefect
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts
gta4.
sanpreet8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sanpreet8
Member since 2008 • 2111 Posts
Spore
soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 soren008
Member since 2008 • 2190 Posts
[QUOTE="soren008"][QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

Grammaton-Cleric

You know, reading some of you trying to be clever, profound and ironic is really quite painful.

And while technically this is true, it's also nonsense because at some point, a person who possess even a rudimentary working knowledge of the literary medium should be able to discern why one writer is vastly superior to another, personal taste aside.

The issue isn't whether or not you personally enjoy something but rather do you possess the ability to go beyond your own bias and tastes to appreciate why something like GTAIV or MGS4 is held in such high esteem?

So you praise the effort & production of games rather than the effect it gives you?

I was making a point, and again, I don't know how to explain that I sincerely have no desire to appear profound or clever for you...