Most blatently overrated game?

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ElectronFlux2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 ElectronFlux2
Member since 2005 • 2209 Posts
What (in your opinion) is the most overrated game(s) ever? I don't mean like "1 point above" what it should have gotten, I mean overrated to the point you feel justice has not been done in the world. Mine: -Halo 3 -World In Conflict -Half Life 2
Mage_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Mage_7
Member since 2007 • 1065 Posts
Halo 3 hands down
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#3 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

I'd also agree Halo series.

Actually I'd say 90% of FPS out there is overrated.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
BioShock, Halo 2, Gears of War, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Resident Evil 4. Some are decent, some are good but none are deserving of all the praise they have received.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Overrated game threads are overrated. If you don't like Halo, that's great, more power to you, that doesn't mean it is overrated.
Mage_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mage_7
Member since 2007 • 1065 Posts
actually i love halo i just think Halo 3 was to overrated
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

Overrated game threads are overrated. If you don't like Halo, that's great, more power to you, that doesn't mean it is overrated.rragnaar

Has anyone said they don't like Halo?

Just saying it's overrated, nothing more.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]Overrated game threads are overrated. If you don't like Halo, that's great, more power to you, that doesn't mean it is overrated.TriangleHard

Has anyone said they don't like Halo?

Just saying it's overrated, nothing more.

What I'm saying is that the whole concept of 'blah blah is overrated' just doesn't make sense to me. I think people confuse their opinions with facts sometimes and then get upset when people don't share their opinion. This was especially prevalent when Halo 3 was about to come out. The forum was getting spammed with 'Halo is Overrated' threads left and right because people were getting upset that we were excited about the game. Games are fairly subjective, and for every person that thinks a particular game is overrated, there will be someone who feels it is underrated.
Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
Halo 3 by far.
Super-Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Super-Penguin
Member since 2005 • 703 Posts
i'd say world of conflict, but thats it
patriots2871

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 patriots2871
Member since 2007 • 21445 Posts
halo 1 2 3
TheMotherBrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheMotherBrain
Member since 2007 • 284 Posts

What (in your opinion) is the most overrated game(s) ever? I don't mean like "1 point above" what it should have gotten, I mean overrated to the point you feel justice has not been done in the world. Mine: -Halo 3 -World In Conflict -Half Life 2ElectronFlux2

It's your opinion and all, but I've never met anyone who thought Half-Life 2 was overrated. Did you not like it? Or do you just think it got more praise than it deserved?

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dutch_Mix
Member since 2005 • 29266 Posts

Overrated game threads are overrated. If you don't like Halo, that's great, more power to you, that doesn't mean it is overrated.rragnaar

And far too common. It seems like we have a thread about overrated games every week. :?

KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts
head over to the 360 boards....it's halo 3
StephenHu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 StephenHu
Member since 2003 • 2852 Posts
Duke Nukem Series
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#16 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

how about I end this topic right now?

any game you like is over rated in someone else's eyes.

every game is over rated

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
It's hard for me to think of games that don't deserve the universal praise they get. All the halo games are great, and their popularity just makes them prime targets for all this "overrated" hogwash.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
Any R&C game.
shanewiso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shanewiso
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Recently: Assassin's Creed, Good Graphic's, Finished it in two weeks between my fulltime job. After playing it for a while you get sick and tired of the missions, becomes boring and over way to quick. It doesn't deserve a 9.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts
The entire Halo series ands down. Resistance gets a second place medal.
ETHAN7695

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ETHAN7695
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

wtf? Oot deserves every little bit of praise it gets it revolutionized gaming.

and for me its heavenly sword everyone was super hyped about it and then they all just forgot about it

stjimmy222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#22 stjimmy222
Member since 2007 • 288 Posts
Have to agree with Halo 3.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

A lot are choosing Halo here.

romainsimoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 romainsimoni
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts
A blatantly overrated game is Halo 2. Man that game deserved a 6 at most, even less being the sucessor of the great original Halo.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
I'm afraid to say Assassins Creed but I'll wait til I beat the game completely.
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#26 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts
I can´t decide between H-L2 which was at some parts maybe one of the most boring FPS,or the totally overrated 3D-Zelda parts that don´t have anything better then any other game in that direction exept the name.FFX to FFXII have also a reason to have a place on this list...all of these games are not totally bad but absolutely none have earned a rating over 8.5,and there is no acceptable reason exept the big name why they got it anyway.
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ash2X

wtf? Oot deserves every little bit of praise it gets it revolutionized gaming.

ETHAN7695

That´s the difference of people who are longer into gaming and those who only play Nintendo-Products since day 1 and maybe started with the N64.OoT revolutionized NOTHING back then.There had been far better games even back then.

strider1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 strider1983
Member since 2005 • 184 Posts

wud have to say bioshock and to some extent crysis..crysis looks good but the gameplay was... for lack of a better word boring.. it did get better near the end though..

having never played halo2 and 3 i cant comment on those ones.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts

What I'm saying is that the whole concept of 'blah blah is overrated' just doesn't make sense to me. I think people confuse their opinions with facts sometimes and then get upset when people don't share their opinion. This was especially prevalent when Halo 3 was about to come out. The forum was getting spammed with 'Halo is Overrated' threads left and right because people were getting upset that we were excited about the game. Games are fairly subjective, and for every person that thinks a particular game is overrated, there will be someone who feels it is underrated.rragnaar

Pot, Kettle, Black :P

rmlr435

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rmlr435
Member since 2007 • 113 Posts

All the Halos obviously.

scotty992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 scotty992
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts

Halo 3:S

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

I can´t decide between H-L2 which was at some parts maybe one of the most boring FPS,or the totally overrated 3D-Zelda parts that don´t have anything better then any other game in that direction exept the name.FFX to FFXII have also a reason to have a place on this list...all of these games are not totally bad but absolutely none have earned a rating over 8.5,and there is no acceptable reason exept the big name why they got it anyway.Ash2X

Haha it takes some balls to say something bad about HL2 on gamespot, kudos to you. While I can't say I agree I do see where you're coming from.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]What I'm saying is that the whole concept of 'blah blah is overrated' just doesn't make sense to me. I think people confuse their opinions with facts sometimes and then get upset when people don't share their opinion. This was especially prevalent when Halo 3 was about to come out. The forum was getting spammed with 'Halo is Overrated' threads left and right because people were getting upset that we were excited about the game. Games are fairly subjective, and for every person that thinks a particular game is overrated, there will be someone who feels it is underrated.1005

Pot, Kettle, Black :P

Think what you want, but I don't make a habit of badmouthing games that other people enjoy.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

I'd also agree Halo series.

Actually I'd say 90% of FPS out there is overrated.

TriangleHard

I agree, but not about Halo. Perhaps the third one.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

Think what you want, but I don't make a habit of badmouthing games that other people enjoy.rragnaar

10 internets to you sir. If everyone thought like you the world would be a happier place.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]
Think what you want, but I don't make a habit of badmouthing games that other people enjoy.inoperativeRS

10 internets to you sir. If everyone thought like you the world would be a happier place.

:lol: I won the internets! I'm not trying to take some weird videogame 'moral high ground' or anything, but I just don't see the point in trying to convince someone else that a game isn't as good as they think it is... I suppose that means I shouldn't have come into this thread. :D
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
wtf? Oot deserves every little bit of praise it gets it revolutionized gaming.ETHAN7695

It is an opinion. Don't think you can contradict mine with yours.

Think what you want, but I don't make a habit of badmouthing games that other people enjoy.rragnaar

Then how exactly are we supposed to be critical of games? We all have different opinions and if we don't express or debate them then what is the point of coming onto Gamespot every day? :P

Saying a game is "overrated" isn't bad mouthing anything. It is expressing that we, as a singular entity, with a unique opinion, think such-n-such game doesn't deserve the praise it has received and believe otherwise. What is wrong with that? Badmouthing a game is more along the lines of: "you are stupid for enjoying such a bad game and deserve to be thrown out into the street for thinking such things."
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rragnaar
[QUOTE="rragnaar"]Think what you want, but I don't make a habit of badmouthing games that other people enjoy.foxhound_fox

Then how exactly are we supposed to be critical of games? We all have different opinions and if we don't express or debate them then what is the point of coming onto Gamespot every day? :P

Saying a game is "overrated" isn't bad mouthing anything. It is expressing that we, as a singular entity, with a unique opinion, think such-n-such game doesn't deserve the praise it has received and believe otherwise. What is wrong with that? Badmouthing a game is more along the lines of: "you are stupid for enjoying such a bad game and deserve to be thrown out into the street for thinking such things."

I was just responding to him calling me a hypocrite, people can be as critical as they want... like I said in my last post, I probably shouldn't have posted in this thread at all since I don't see the point of these repetitive 'list your most underrated favorite/most overrated least favorite blah blah' threads. I don't come on the internet to argue, but I understand why other people do, and I certainly wasn't trying to bring an end to such a favorite internet pastime.

Edit for clarification:Looking back now I see he was calling me a hypocrite for confusing my opinions with facts. I'm sure I've done it before, (Anyone remember the Ratchet and Clank review debacle!) but I think I try to be civil about it.
hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hair001
Member since 2005 • 1202 Posts
Resistance for me. I just don't get why people like it so much, it's nothing special. Underated I'd say the PGR series, some of the best, if not the best, racing games ever for me. I see all the cool kids are saying Halo. Again. Next year it will be gta. Again.
WhiteWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 WhiteWorld
Member since 2004 • 326 Posts
Halo 3, Mass Effect and Counter-Strike. Mass Effect the most. :evil: I cannot hate on that game enough on these forums. All it has going for it is fancy graphics and a good story but since it has the BioWare name plastered all over it, for some reason people seem to look past the piece of **** game-play, the blatant lack of interactivity and features, the depressing and homogeneous art, the horrible character progression system, the equally horrible skill and hotkey system, the controls, the menu system and all the other issues the game has. And when people call this game perfect... I mean... it just astounds me that anyone can call this game even great. It's decent, sure, it has its moments but we were promised an RPG, not the retarded offspring of a buggy action game and a half-finished RPG. Can someone just tell me what makes the game as great as people have been calling it so I can stop getting annoyed when people rank it with The Orange Box and BioShock?
sc_ajk29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 sc_ajk29
Member since 2007 • 564 Posts

Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen

StarCraft

World of WarCraft

Age of Empires II

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl

GTA series

Though the most overrated game ever known to mankind is:

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts
Oblivion. Finishing that game was like going through mental break down.
jmac18002000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jmac18002000
Member since 2005 • 118 Posts
wow op, Ocarina of time overrated? your smart
00Raziel00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 00Raziel00
Member since 2007 • 1221 Posts
IT BURNS !!! why are people baging Half Life 2? one of the best games iv played. Halo 2 and 3 are most overrated.
Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

Halo for sure. I'd say Gears too.

I dunno why the OP said WiC, I hadn't heard too much hype before it was released and I'm still not seeing too much now that it is. If anything I'd say it's not getting enough.

And Half Life 2 is a fantastic game. I've never met anyone who didn't enjoy it.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
Halo 3, Mass Effect and Counter-Strike. Mass Effect the most. :evil: I cannot hate on that game enough on these forums. All it has going for it is fancy graphics and a good story but since it has the BioWare name plastered all over it, for some reason people seem to look past the piece of **** game-play, the blatant lack of interactivity and features, the depressing and homogeneous art, the horrible character progression system, the equally horrible skill and hotkey system, the controls, the menu system and all the other issues the game has. And when people call this game perfect... I mean... it just astounds me that anyone can call this game even great. It's decent, sure, it has its moments but we were promised an RPG, not the retarded offspring of a buggy action game and a half-finished RPG. Can someone just tell me what makes the game as great as people have been calling it so I can stop getting annoyed when people rank it with The Orange Box and BioShock?WhiteWorld

erm... see myreview
FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts
Halo 3
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ash2X

IT BURNS !!! why are people baging Half Life 2? one of the best games iv played. Halo 2 and 3 are most overrated.00Raziel00

In case of Halo 2 I can understand it,but Halo 3 is besides CoD4,the best MP experience to get.Even the single player is not totally insane,great but a lot of fun.You ask why some people baging H-L2?Because I played until short after Ravenholm and nothing really happend.Some generic NPCs told me to go there and there,I driven a boat insanely long,made some awesomely chep puzzles to show-off the physics engine,killed around 5-10 Enemys maybe more...met a NPC who told me to go there and there...after a long walk I had a bunch of enemys...well I don´t see any reason to play any further.It had a good atmosphere but the feel theis game leads nowhere and after 5 or 6h not a little brick of a story made me stop playing.I was bored.That´s why I don´t really like this game.Greatvisual design and atmosphere but if the gameplay feels somehow flat and aimless a game can´t be good.And it definetly doesn´t earn the hype it got.