Modded Xbox - help?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Crash_WL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Crash_WL
Member since 2008 • 2660 Posts

Hey people!

So today, I bought an Xbox console (the old, not 360, obviously). It was second-hand, I couldn't afford a sealed one, and the guy at the store cut me some money because he said "it's modded" with a chip. I won't pirate games, I'm collecting them so why would I?

My question is: will this mod ruin the console some time later? It's not much, I got the whole package for 50, but it's just the hassle of going through it again and all that. Thanks for your time, chaps!

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 StatusShuffle
Member since 2012 • 1908 Posts

Hey people!

So today, I bought an Xbox console (the old, not 360, obviously). It was second-hand, I couldn't afford a sealed one, and the guy at the store cut me some money because he said "it's modded" with a chip. I won't pirate games, I'm collecting them so why would I?

My question is: will this mod ruin the console some time later? It's not much, I got the whole package for 50, but it's just the hassle of going through it again and all that. Thanks for your time, chaps!

Crash_WL
No, if it's what I think it is it's like the 360 one, you have the option to play pirated bootlegs and that's it. Regular games work fine, the side effects of the mod won't happen until you decide to actually play pirated games. Which you said you won't so you will have nothing to worry about.
reggy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 reggy72
Member since 2008 • 145 Posts
No it'll not be ruined now or at a later date, Depending on the mod and how far you want to go it can be a valuable asset, I have a crystal xbox modded with an executer 2 chip 250gb harddrive running evoX/mbmc alternative OS's, You can use it as a powerful and cheap media extender with a composite lead for 720p/i or go down the emulater route as I have, I have currently every game available for any home console from 1978 up to the N64, a complete neo geo and capcom cps 1 and 2 rom set/amiga/cbm64/spectrum/ gameboy/neogeo pocket and the legendary and hardrive eating coin ops3(youtube it), all in about 30,000 titles, including some utter rarites like f-zero 2 for the snes that was never released and starfox 2 for the snes.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#4 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I wouldn't sweat it. You can't say for one hundred percent since who knows what happened when the guy who installed it had it cracked open but most likely if he screwed it up, it would have failed right away. Also, the thing doesn't go on Xbox live anymore anyway so you don't have to wory abou that either.

Crash_WL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Crash_WL
Nope, it's just a simple chip for playing pirated copies and that's it, nothing fancy. As of the chip's quality though, I'm not aware of that. And yes, I asked the guy at the store if it will play original copies and if there's any side-effects with them, and he said nothing's going to go wrong. Thanks for the answers guys, much appreciated!
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#6 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
The one I have I traded for a PSP and it came modded, doesn't have any problems playing games. It let's me play imports too.
Crash_WL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Crash_WL
Great, feedback so far is positive, I'm glad about the purchase :D
Uchiha_Sasuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Uchiha_Sasuke1
Member since 2002 • 1636 Posts
Only if the previous owner used the console to play online pirated games that you should be worrying about . Sometimes it bust the console but I've never heard anyone having problem with the pirated chip inside their console. Yeah I agree that you should just keep to original game, when u get alot of games for almost free price like priated games it messes your videogame experience. Its better to have the real copies rather than having problems later on for playing too much and get those pirated experience injected into your veins. The side effect is not good. I mean it in a bad way owning the real game has a difference. I'm anti piracy my head feels better if I'm using the original copies.
Crash_WL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Crash_WL
Don't worry dude, I've over 410 original games from all generations ;) I love gaming, pirating the games would make me look stupid. You're not a gamer if you pirate games, you're like a parasite. Not feeding the developers and then complaining about the lack of games or quality of them. But that's another story, for another topic :P
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

put freebsd on it, grow a neckbeard http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/xbox.html

just slap cromwell on it

or just use it like a normal xbox

also lol at people who are talking about getting busted and stuff

what internet support does the original xbox still have?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts
I know some modded Xbox's had the ability to install games to a built in HDD, might save you the convenience of having to disc swap if that's what it can do, might also increase the lifespan of the disc drive, and you also won't have to worry about disc read issues causing the game to crash as happens on occasion, and games might perform better when playing off the HDD. I remember people also said some modded Xbox units had switches so the modded unit can be turned off and not be detected when online... but I think all that original Xbox online stuff is offline now so I wouldn't imagine there'd be anything to worry about there. I also heard of modded Xbox units coming with like every emulator from various arcade emulators to NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis, etc, and coming with like every ROM imaginable... if your system is modded and you don't want to support the piracy I'd see if it came with any of that and find a way to get rid of it.
reggy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 reggy72
Member since 2008 • 145 Posts
[QUOTE="lamprey263"]I know some modded Xbox's had the ability to install games to a built in HDD, might save you the convenience of having to disc swap if that's what it can do, might also increase the lifespan of the disc drive, and you also won't have to worry about disc read issues causing the game to crash as happens on occasion, and games might perform better when playing off the HDD. I remember people also said some modded Xbox units had switches so the modded unit can be turned off and not be detected when online... but I think all that original Xbox online stuff is offline now so I wouldn't imagine there'd be anything to worry about there. I also heard of modded Xbox units coming with like every emulator from various arcade emulators to NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis, etc, and coming with like every ROM imaginable... if your system is modded and you don't want to support the piracy I'd see if it came with any of that and find a way to get rid of it.

You could still play online with an original xbox by tricking it via LAN over something like XBconnect if it's still running, I use to play Halo CE online this way many years ago, as for supporting piracy you talking out your backside son, every game on my hardrive is at least 11 years old and out of production, the latest rom images I have are from 2001, another way of looking at it is what if i want to play vcs games from 1980, you basically cannot unless under emulation, Even if your source 2nd hand originals including the machines to run them on it would come at considerable expense and of no financial benefit to the original developers and seeing as many of the devs from the 8/16bit days no longer exist anyways who would pay your royalities too? don't get me wrong piracy regarding the current generation is untenable and something I'm not interested in, but games from 11/30 years ago are fair game in my opinion ...........
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

it doesn't even really matter that much if you pirate xbox games

the devs aren't going to make any money