Microsoft's Illumiroom will support 'a next gen console'

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Illumiroon is a 3D camera/projector which produces some really interesting effects (including making it look like the room is blurring, explosions extending beyond the screen, snow accumulating on furniture, etc). I highly recommend watching the five minute video.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-29-microsoft-moots-illumiroom-with-next-xbox

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/illumiroom/

Microsoft-Illumiroom-2.jpg

MS-illumiroom.jpg

#2 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
Is this is the "real" next gen Microsoft was talking about? ..... seems interesting but I can't help but think it would be stupid expensive.
#3 Posted by kramer_inc (1297 posts) -

I don't see me buying this at all.

#4 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26039 posts) -
Isn't this just a kinect "next gen" project? TBH I don't think its going to be expensive.
#5 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
Isn't this just a kinect "next gen" project? TBH I don't think its going to be expensive.shadowchronicle
This is a 3d projector and has nothing to do with motion control.
#6 Posted by DeadMan1290 (15502 posts) -

I don't see myself buying this, considering it'll most likely be expensive as hell.

#7 Posted by dkdk999 (6741 posts) -
Well that's sure a much more interesting use of Kinect.
#8 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

I don't see myself buying this, considering it'll most likely be expensive as hell.

DeadMan1290
If they could somehow manage to get this out at a mass market price, perhaps somehow included with the console it could be the next huge thing though. Seems to me like this would be incredibly immersive and enjoyable. It would have a lot of hurdles to clear first.
#9 Posted by dkdk999 (6741 posts) -
[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

GodModeEnabled
If they could somehow manage to get this out at a mass market price, perhaps somehow included with the console it could be the next huge thing though. Seems to me like this would be incredibly immersive and enjoyable. It would have a lot of hurdles to clear first.

Why not put stuff like this in arcades ? I mean it seems like the type of thing that would be fun for a few hours but get kind of old anyway. And I don't want to set that up in my living room.
#10 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

dkdk999

Why not put stuff like this in arcades ? I mean it seems like the type of thing that would be fun for a few hours but get kind of old anyway. And I don't want to set that up in my living room.

In the US arcades are dead though one can find some very old arcade machines scattered around restaurants and bars.
#11 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

This looks pretty interesting. I'm not digging all the effects, but it seems highly adjustable so anyone can set it up to their liking. Finally some new tech that isn't complete bullshit.

#12 Posted by SupremeAC (7521 posts) -

I can see this working if you're just one guy sitting in front of your telly, directly behind the projector.  What happens if I sit a few feet to the left or to the right?  A lot of the effect will be wasted on me if I have shelves like those used in the demo.  Surely the projector can only beam light in a straight line, thus leaving gaping holes of shadow that will break the illusion if your viewing angle isn't the same as that of the projector.

Also, as some people at Eurogamer pointed out: to get that kind of result, you'll need a very expensive projector.  base line projectors just don't have a high enough resolution to produce anything credible like that.

#13 Posted by dkdk999 (6741 posts) -
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"][QUOTE="dkdk999"][QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"] If they could somehow manage to get this out at a mass market price, perhaps somehow included with the console it could be the next huge thing though. Seems to me like this would be incredibly immersive and enjoyable. It would have a lot of hurdles to clear first.

In the US arcades are dead though one can find some very old arcade machines scattered around restaurants and bars.

Ya but people should bring it back with interesting stuff like this. Put it in gamespot or something and charge a few dollars for 20 minutes of playing. Maybe they could have co-op sessions and it would be a cool way of meeting people. Theres actually a big arcade still in business where I live it has a lot of awesome games.
#14 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
some of the more subtle effects like adjusting the lighting of the room to the lighting of the game seem neat. however, i wouldn't want to spend much on it. you can just turn the lights off in the room to cut off distractions and draw attention to the screen.
#15 Posted by l34052 (3275 posts) -

This is MS talking here, if it works anywhere near aswell as kinect then oh dear......:?

#16 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

Not a bad idea. Hopefully it is not another gimmick.

#17 Posted by Zen_Light (1579 posts) -

Nothing more than an unpractical gimmick.

#18 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34227 posts) -

If pulled off right it could be pretty cool. I don't know if I'd really want to spend that much money on the thing though, unless it put into every 720 model.

#19 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -

Man, the PS4 just keeps getting better and better. :P

This really isn't something that I'm interested in. It's a neat novelty, but watching the video would make me disappointed at the quality of the rooms image compared to the TV image.