Microsoft's Illumiroom will support 'a next gen console'

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Illumiroon is a 3D camera/projector which produces some really interesting effects (including making it look like the room is blurring, explosions extending beyond the screen, snow accumulating on furniture, etc). I highly recommend watching the five minute video.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-29-microsoft-moots-illumiroom-with-next-xbox

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/illumiroom/

Microsoft-Illumiroom-2.jpg

MS-illumiroom.jpg

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Is this is the "real" next gen Microsoft was talking about? ..... seems interesting but I can't help but think it would be stupid expensive.
kramer_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 129

#3 kramer_inc
Member since 2008 • 1303 Posts

I don't see me buying this at all.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#4 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
Isn't this just a kinect "next gen" project? TBH I don't think its going to be expensive.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CarnageHeart
Isn't this just a kinect "next gen" project? TBH I don't think its going to be expensive.shadowchronicle
This is a 3d projector and has nothing to do with motion control.
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#6 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

I don't see myself buying this, considering it'll most likely be expensive as hell.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
Well that's sure a much more interesting use of Kinect.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

I don't see myself buying this, considering it'll most likely be expensive as hell.

DeadMan1290
If they could somehow manage to get this out at a mass market price, perhaps somehow included with the console it could be the next huge thing though. Seems to me like this would be incredibly immersive and enjoyable. It would have a lot of hurdles to clear first.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dkdk999
[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

GodModeEnabled
If they could somehow manage to get this out at a mass market price, perhaps somehow included with the console it could be the next huge thing though. Seems to me like this would be incredibly immersive and enjoyable. It would have a lot of hurdles to clear first.

Why not put stuff like this in arcades ? I mean it seems like the type of thing that would be fun for a few hours but get kind of old anyway. And I don't want to set that up in my living room.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CarnageHeart
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

dkdk999

Why not put stuff like this in arcades ? I mean it seems like the type of thing that would be fun for a few hours but get kind of old anyway. And I don't want to set that up in my living room.

In the US arcades are dead though one can find some very old arcade machines scattered around restaurants and bars.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

This looks pretty interesting. I'm not digging all the effects, but it seems highly adjustable so anyone can set it up to their liking. Finally some new tech that isn't complete bullshit.

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts

I can see this working if you're just one guy sitting in front of your telly, directly behind the projector.  What happens if I sit a few feet to the left or to the right?  A lot of the effect will be wasted on me if I have shelves like those used in the demo.  Surely the projector can only beam light in a straight line, thus leaving gaping holes of shadow that will break the illusion if your viewing angle isn't the same as that of the projector.

Also, as some people at Eurogamer pointed out: to get that kind of result, you'll need a very expensive projector.  base line projectors just don't have a high enough resolution to produce anything credible like that.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dkdk999
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"][QUOTE="dkdk999"][QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"] If they could somehow manage to get this out at a mass market price, perhaps somehow included with the console it could be the next huge thing though. Seems to me like this would be incredibly immersive and enjoyable. It would have a lot of hurdles to clear first.

In the US arcades are dead though one can find some very old arcade machines scattered around restaurants and bars.

Ya but people should bring it back with interesting stuff like this. Put it in gamespot or something and charge a few dollars for 20 minutes of playing. Maybe they could have co-op sessions and it would be a cool way of meeting people. Theres actually a big arcade still in business where I live it has a lot of awesome games.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
some of the more subtle effects like adjusting the lighting of the room to the lighting of the game seem neat. however, i wouldn't want to spend much on it. you can just turn the lights off in the room to cut off distractions and draw attention to the screen.
l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

This is MS talking here, if it works anywhere near aswell as kinect then oh dear......:?

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#16 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Not a bad idea. Hopefully it is not another gimmick.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Nothing more than an unpractical gimmick.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

If pulled off right it could be pretty cool. I don't know if I'd really want to spend that much money on the thing though, unless it put into every 720 model.

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts

Man, the PS4 just keeps getting better and better. :P

This really isn't something that I'm interested in. It's a neat novelty, but watching the video would make me disappointed at the quality of the rooms image compared to the TV image.