This topic is locked from further discussion.

imakillaholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By imakillaholic
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

Hey guys, I have a question about MGSV. Now, I love the franchise, and I am going to pick up a new game tomorrow and I'm highly considering MGSV. However, here is my fear. I like open world games (to an extent), but I actually genuinely enjoy linear games; that's just my play style. And, when I ask a few of my friends they all say the game is good but they aren't "gushing" over it, which is completely fine. My only --real-- concern is the gameplay. Sure, the controls/mechanics will be great as always, but does the game get repetitive after a while, whether it's the missions/structures, as in, "Get in the helicopter, go here, do a mission, come back to helicopter, do another mission"? Or, does the game have a lot of replayability?

I'd love all opinions. No bashing or anything, just real, honest, how you felt about the game opinions. Thank you in advance :)

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@imakillaholic: Haven't played it yet, but as far as I've heard, the consensus is this:

• much better gameplay than previous titles
  • lots of interesting mechanical opportunities against enemies
  • mostly empty open world
  • repetitive missions (you actually have to repeat some missions to get 100%)
  • lackluster story with lots of important information missing
  • FOB missions handle microtransactions extremely poorly cuz Konami
imakillaholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 imakillaholic

@mastermetal777: Thanks for the reply, man! I think I may just wait until this game gets quite cheaper. I mean, I'm almost positive I'll love the gameplay and stuff, but with the "mostly empty open world" that you said, and repetitive missions, I think I can wait on this game for a while. I hope people don't bash me for saying this, but, as I mentioned in my earlier, I don't mind open world games, I like them, but they aren't my first option. I enjoy linear experiences more often than not. However, I do love Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3, mainly because the open world has many, many things to do that seem to "enhance" the story and I'm assuming MGSV doesn't have that.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#4 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@imakillaholic: As I said, I haven't played it, but I have seen videos. There's not really much to do outside of the missions, it seems. It's just there as a world you travel through instead of one you interact with. As for the story, don't ask me how good or bad it is compared to the others cuz I'm not a fan of MGS's story at all.

imakillaholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 imakillaholic

@mastermetal777: I totally understand. I think what is putting me off the most from the game is Ground Zeroes. Like I said, I love this franchise, but GZ was just awful to me; I couldn't get into it at all no matter how much I tried, and I'm afraid Phantom Pain might have the same impact.

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

The mission structure is very repetitive and you'll even be visiting the same places multiple times. If repeating similar tasks over and over isn't your thing, you should probably avoid MGSV.

Despite all this the game's missions are highly replayable and you're even encouraged/forced to repeat them. Rather than changing up the mission structure, you're given new tools and are encouraged to try new things. It all depends on how creative you want to be.

If you haven't played it, you should get Ground Zeroes to kind of see what you can expect. While GZ is much more limited, it's better designed than anything in TPP as well.

imakillaholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 imakillaholic

@kratosyoloswag: Great to know, thanks! I have GZ and I unfortunately couldn't get into it. It didn't feel like Metal Gear to me at all, and it was just eh to me. When I started feeling that way to the game, and then hearing that Phantom Pain kind of did the same thing, just more diverse or whatever, I just lost all interest completely, and yet, I want to play it because of all the high praise reviews. This may not be the best way to compare, but when you spoke about repetitive missions, is it kind of like The Witcher 3? What I mean is, a lot of side quests were repetitive, but they offered some sort of difference between each mission sort of to make it replayable, so is MGSV the same? Repetitive, sure, but still offer somewhat diversity between missions?

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

@imakillaholic said:

@kratosyoloswag: Great to know, thanks! I have GZ and I unfortunately couldn't get into it. It didn't feel like Metal Gear to me at all, and it was just eh to me. When I started feeling that way to the game, and then hearing that Phantom Pain kind of did the same thing, just more diverse or whatever, I just lost all interest completely, and yet, I want to play it because of all the high praise reviews. This may not be the best way to compare, but when you spoke about repetitive missions, is it kind of like The Witcher 3? What I mean is, a lot of side quests were repetitive, but they offered some sort of difference between each mission sort of to make it replayable, so is MGSV the same? Repetitive, sure, but still offer somewhat diversity between missions?

MGSV and TW3 are both pretty similar in that I find both to have fairly repetitive mission structure. I'd say MGSV is even more repetitive, for the most part you'll just be extracting people. TW3's quests are better designed in that they all have a strong narrative attached to them, which is really the game's strength.

MGSV's main strength comes from having a ton of gameplay options and tools at your disposal to complete the samey missions. Basically one rewards you with story while the other rewards you with new toys to play with. TW3 has a much better open world to explore as well, compared to the mostly lifeless sandboxes of MGSV. Personally I enjoyed MGSV more since the core gameplay just felt much better but I'd say TW3 was better designed.

Certain parts of MGSV will feel like they were added just to waste your time like having to repeat missions and wait in-game time for your new tools/weapons to be made. MGSV is at the same time my favorite and my most disappointing game of 2015.

If you didn't like GZ then you probably won't like TPP. While TPP gives you much more options, it feels even less like an MGS game than GZ.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#9  Edited By Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 705 Posts

It's just an oversized Peacewalker.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

Hmmm for some reason even though a lot of side ops take place in the same location, I still find it fun. And also, this game is waaaay better than GZ, there's no comparison.

IMO the coolest mechanic in this game is not just your ever-evolving arsenal of gadgets, but the ever-evolving AI. The AI adapts to your tactics so no side op will ever feel the same, even in the same location. I tried replaying some main missions and I had to approach it in an entirely different way to complete it and get my S-rank. If you do too many headshots, they'll start wearing helmets, use too much sleep gas or infiltrate too much at night time you can be sure they'll adapt. So that's why even though most side ops have the same repetitive objectives, it always feels fresh to me. I always try new creative ways to tackle bases (sometimes its not your choice hehe cuz you'll seriously have to change your play style as the variables in the base change).

The main thing is when the AI's adaptations really increases, the game really trusts that you will find a way to tackle the situation. They expect intelligence from you and that's what makes this game so amazing. I can't comment on story cuz I'm not far in. I'm 40 hours in and I'm on mission 22. There are 46 main missions I heard and I guess from general consensus the later 1/3rd of the game feels like padding but still... until now the main missions have been a BLAST! Long missions that require you to get through tons and tons of enemy patrols.

I don't think you can compare it to the Witcher 3 in terms of side quests actually. In MGS V its always extract this, kill that, destroy this. But as simple as the objective sounds its never ever the same! It's not boring at all and you will always have to use different tactics to carry out the objective. It's not as repetitive as you think.

However, I must say that regardless of how great the gameplay is and the side ops requiring different approaches to complete, you don't feel the same motivation to do them that the Witcher 3 gives you. Let's be honest here, most side quests in Witcher 3 have the same repetitive tasks, use witcher senses find monster kill monster (the part where u kill the monster is great though cuz imo witcher 3 also has great gameplay). But you never feel that way cuz they give u such good motivations for hunting that monster in the first place. If MGS could give me a good reason why I should extract that prisoner that would make a mile of a difference.

Btw the online component where you invade others bases is actually great! It's intense and there are so many different variations! These are my early impressions btw cuz I've only invaded 2 low level bases thus far hehe.

But idk I still think the game is super solid overall and you don't have to be a stealth lover to buy it. its easily my second favourite game this year after witcher 3

In the end though if I were you I would also wait for a price drop, but to ignore the game completely? Now that would be a crime

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11  Edited By Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

Why use some definitions to create yourself restrictions?

This game is one of the best games ever...i'll quote a sentences from a review I agree the most : "...anyone with a slight interest should absolutely check out for its frequent moments of unpredictable brilliance. When it comes down to it, its worst elements are incredibly common in the world of video games, and they’re things I’d usually manage to avoid.

Its best elements, though? You won’t find them anywhere else."

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

I love the story so far i am on mission 25 now the side missions easy and little repretive my opinion go for it

Seanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Seanh
Member since 2015 • 203 Posts

As a Metal Gear game, it's utter rubbish. If you want something with a gripping story, forget it. But if you don't think of it as a Metal Gear game, it's quite fun to play. As said above, the mechanics are amazing and the freedom of options available to you are awesome as well - But like I said, don't think of it as a Metal Gear game and you'll have fun with it.

Acillatem1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Acillatem1993
Member since 2011 • 1100 Posts

This is one of my favorite games what gameplay is concerned and I am not hot on stealth games otherwise. So I would highly recommend it for its gameplay alone.